Start by marking “Gwynne's Grammar: The Ultimate Introduction to Grammar and the Writing of Good English” as Want to Read:

Anxious about apostrophes?

In a pickle over your pronouns and prepositions?

Fear not—Mr. Gwynne is here with his wonderfully concise and highly enjoyable book of grammar.

Within these pages, adults and children alike will find all they need to rediscover this lost science and sharpen up their skills.

Mr. Gwynne believes that happiness depends at least partly on goo
Published September 2nd 2014 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gwynne's Grammar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gwynne's Grammar

Rick Skwiot
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When an idiosyncratic book on English grammar becomes a bestseller in the United Kingdom, it makes one wonder who is buying it. English-as-a-second language immigrants? Schoolteachers? Students who feel their current instruction deficient? Adults who got short shrift in grammar when back in school? If so, then perhaps Gwynne’s Grammar: The Ultimate Introduction to Grammar and the Writing of Good English will become a bestseller here in the colonies as well. It should. Heaven knows we need it.

Rec
Lisa
Sep 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
N.M. Gwynne, who’s already caused a stir in Britain with his promotion of Latin as the solution to all the world’s problems, or at least the educational ones, has here compiled a collection of how language “ought” to be written. The key is the word “ought,” which implies more than a little judgmentalism, borne out in the book through his use of epithets such as “crass illiteracy” and his tone of general superiority.

Yes, there are standards of writing that people who want to be successful need to
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I’m having flashbacks to when learning English wasn’t fun: yardsticks, chalkboards, and red pens. Though Mr. Gwynne begins his grammar book saying proper learning is the path to true happiness, his content isn’t the most chipper. Instead, Gwynne stands atop the mountain of dead lexicographers, waving the weary flag of prescriptionists everywhere.

Two mistakes I made prior to writing this review: reading Margaret Atwood’s latest short story collection and reading Steven Pinker’s SENSE OF STYLE. If
Kiersten
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
While I am very familiar with grammar, this was still an interesting read. I was disappointed to learn that the end of the book is Strunk's Elements of Style because I enjoyed Gwynne's writing.
Teri
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that a grammar book became a best seller (at least in England), and its author is quite fun to read and listen to. I collect grammar books and am very happy to add this one to my collection. I wouldn't use it in our homeschool as a primary text, however, mainly because there are no exercises provided. But it is a very worthwhile and practical reference, and one to judge all the others by. The author is enthusiastic about the subject and "old-school" (classically trained): "... the traditi ...more
Yaaresse
May 02, 2015 marked it as abandoned-dnf  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out of the library with the thought it might be a good idea to brush up on my basic grammar. I was befuddled recently when someone asked me to explain what "nominative case" meant, and I couldn't remember the definition. Hey, college was a long time ago.

It was all I could do to get as far as I did with it, which was about the 40% mark. This was not because of the material, but because of the author's pedantic style and obvious contempt for anyone (or any country) whose language u
Frederick Bingham
This is a reference book about grammar. It talks about all the details, phrases, clauses, punctuation, usage, etc. The author has a very high opinion of himself. Somewhere in the book he says, only half jokingly, that this is one of the most important books ever published in English.

Despite the author's egotism, the book is a good reference. Grammar is kind of like driving. It's a skill we all make use of every day, but it does one good to occasionally think about how to do it better.
Dennis Ashendorf
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Taking in Gwynne separates one into the camp that there is a right way to write. Mr Gwynne is severe. He accepts the original Strunk & White, but not the revision. The basic argument is that language is rule-based; so follow the rules. Chaos results otherwise.

It's easy to laugh, but we may better off, if we followed this concise book of a few chapters combined with the original Strunk & White. It can be read quickly, but there is little point in so doing.
Brent
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, language
Half of this little book includes the original Strunk on Style, but the rest is a fun-to-read grammar refresher, and an enlightening chapter on writing verse.
Ellen
Rosie Rocco
Dec 26, 2017
Joan
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was not the book I was hoping it would be. I read a book awhile ago that gave examples of some of the basic mistakes in our everyday talking (e.g. oral vs verbal, bemused vs amused, alluding vs eluding, under vs imply, fewer vs less). This book would probably be excellent for an English major...but just not me. I'm not sure if I should give it 2 stars or 3. Only read this if you want some heavy detail.
Bill
Jan 04, 2015
Rex Stites
Sep 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Nevile Martin Gwynne is a British writer who has gained recognition for his book, Gwynne's Grammar. He has also written Gwynne's Latin. He spent his early days in Gloucestershire before attending Eton College and Oxford University, graduating with a degree in Modern Languages.

Formerly a successful businessman, Mr Gwynne has for many years been teaching and tutoring just about every sort of subjec