Start by marking “The New Year” as Want to Read:
The New Year

The New Year

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This is a story of hope and reconciliation. It is about an American father and his Eurasian son living in Korea. It is not without some soul-searching and a great deal of understanding on the part of his American wife that they get together as a family.

The father is an aspiring politician in Philadelphia. Put in shock and a moral dilemma by the sudden knowledge of his son

Mass Market Paperback, 188 pages
Published (first published 1968)

John
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 5-star, fiction, mexico
The first 50 pages were terrible. Again with Pearl Bucks later books, i felt like this was written by two different people. Buck wrote the center part which took place in Korea and it was real pearl buck, Great. Like she had this idea for a story and then had to come up with a way to introduce the characters and situation. That was the first 50 pages. Then how to end it, She had so many possible ways, she could even had not gone any farther than the part in Korea and it would still have been a g ...more
Joel
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I’d forgotten how much I like Pearl S. Buck. Some time ago I read “The Good Earth” – her masterpiece – and found it a remarkable book. I’m going to reread it and write a review (stay tuned).

Most recently, at a used bookstore in Colorado Springs I found an old copy of “The New Year”. Finished with all of W. Somerset Maugham’s books and looking for fiction with meaning (hard to find these days) I considered myself fortuitous and bought the novel (and another – stay tuned for that too).

I was not
Sandra
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A fan of Pearl S. Buck, I was happy to find this novel by her at a $2/bag book sale. The novel is about an American who had been a soldier in Korea during the war – and who, during his time living there, had fathered a child. But he has a problem. He is running for political office, and has ambitions that a mixed race, illegitimate child might torpedo. I highly disliked the main character, but couldn't not read to the ending, and questioned his values (as surely anyone caught up in the drama of ...more
Johanna Ilen
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice read and in some ways, an interesting time trip. How we think about interracial kids in the West has certainly changed, so has women's role in society and family. On the other hand, the wartime experiences, moral issues during election times, parenthood in different situations - they remain everlasting topics for humankind.
Gary Peterson
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1960s-fiction
I found The New Year on December 30 while browsing the shelves at Half Price Books. I had never read a Pearl S. Buck novel before, and the title caught my eye since the new year was almost upon us. I bought it on a whim and began reading it on New Year's Eve. I have no regrets, though it was a disappointing book, one that felt less like an honest story and more like a fictionalized infomercial for her recently established charity, The Opportunity Center and Orphanage.

Buck established Opportunit
Jane Mettee
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A touching story of a Korean War veteran who years later connects with his son conceived In a war time love affair. The young soldier was a newly wed and many years later his wife helped locate the boy. A good Pearl Buck novel taking place in Korea and the US.
Midge
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a shortened version of this novel by Peal Buck from a 1968 Readers Digest Condensed Book I found in my parents' bookcase. Shortening it did not change the impact of a story of family and love by this great writer.
Rita Araújo
Boring. Was expecting a story that would focus more on the culture of the country than the problems of the starring couple, though it was probably a very relevant problem during those days...
Esti Sulistyawan
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roman, sastra-dunia
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (June 26, 1892 – March 6, 1973) adalah seorang penulis Amerika. Novelnya yang berjudul The Good Earth merupakan buku fiksi paling laris di Amerika di tahun 1931 dan memenangkan penghargaan Pulitzer di tahun 1932. Dia juga mendapat Nobel Sastra di tahun 1938. Wah, keren kan ya beliau ini?
Masa kecil Pearl S Buck dilalui di negara Cina, mengikuti pekerjaan orang tuanya. Bahkan ketika mereka sudah kembali ke Amerika dan Pearl S Buck menikah dengan John Lossing Buck. Pasanga
Pascale
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful novel of ideas that breaks the heart because while it feels dated, things haven't changed all that much. The central characters are Christopher Winters, a Philadelphia lawyer with huge political ambitions, and his wife Laura, an oceanographer who finds it hard, surprise surprise, to push on with her career AND be a supportive wife. At the beginning of the novel, Chris is awkwardly reminded that hum, ha, he left behind a son in Korea when he came back from the war. The news is even m ...more
Bouguerche
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Une histoire interessante, j'ete surprise et stupefaite de constater un mode de vie tout a fait different du mien , ou un couple considere ca relation conjugale d'une maniere tres rationelle, parfois tres skeptic et froide, c'est un type d'amour qui m'est un peu etrange. L'autre concept concerne la facon dont les occidentaux traite leurs vie privee et leur vie professionnelle, ou dans la plus part du temps la derniere prend le dessus et la priorite. Il m'ete difficile, durant ma lecture, d'accep ...more
Lisa
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this more.
The premise is interesting, and undoubtedly was and is a reality for many men in war.
What bothered me was not the dated (and, at times, I felt, a little racist) writing.
I could have dealt with the main male character, Chris, being indecisive and annoying. I just couldn't stomach the main female character, Laura. At the beginning of the book she is portrayed as a strong, intelligent woman whose career is very important to her. However, she ends up being just as wishy wa
Kristine
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
An interesting commentary on the politics of war and the politics of politics. The couple in the story are faced with a decision when the husband receives an unexpected letter from his 12-year old son in Korea who was born to a Korean woman while he was a soldier fighting in the Korean war. The husband is running for governor in his state, and has to decide whether to share the information with the public or try and keep it a secret. The book mostly addresses how this situation with his previous ...more
zespri
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: asia
Picked this one up at our School Gala, and having never read a book by Pearl Buck decided to give her a try. She obviously was a prolific writer from the look of her list of published books.

It was a great story, nothing complicated or fancy, just a jolly good story which i really enjoyed. Having never read much about the Korean war, it gave me some new insight and understanding of the background and conditions for both the American servicemen invlolved, and the Korean nationals.

Interestingly, P
Samira
Sep 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
I loved this book when I was a teenager and now, reading it again, I am struck by how much it needs to be read as a period piece written before the women's movement by someone who had been raised even longer before. The gender ideology is striking: a woman who is a scientist and a fashion model is married to a politician. He is a brilliant politician, but she is the more intelligent. Throughout, there is a sense that it is what he wants and what she wants for him to lead the two of them, that sh ...more
Mary
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I loved The Good Earth Trilogy and all the other historical fiction by Buck based in China. I do not feel the same about these more modern novels. This is the 2nd where the main female character was just too annoying . As soon as she met the guy in Korea (which I thought very weird & unlikely that she went alone to meet her husband's son & mistress in the first place) I could see where the story was going and decided to stop.
Truly
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pearls-s-buck
Anda bukanlah yang pertama. Tidak terlalu banyak juga yang seperti anda, dan kadang-kadang laki-lakilah yang datang untuk mencari anaknya. Meskipun tidak terlalu banyak juga yang seperti mereka. Kebanyakan dari anak-anak itu dibiarkan di sini.

..... Lupakan dia. Kebanyakan orang Amerika melakukan hal serupa. Anak-anak semacam inni beribu-ribu banyaknya.

Mala
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wodnerful book. It deals with different emotions and their struggle with each other. Each character gets a chance to face situations where decisions could be made either purely based on emotions, or base them on a deeper level based on emotional maturity and selflessness. I loved Laura, the wife, who displays an amazing strength of character. Must read.......
Rebekah Glass
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story and I am beginning to love this author and her amazing way of writing almost without emotion. I CRIED at the end of this, but where I typically get emotional all through a book, I didn't with this one. its a very real story about a very real thing that happens and I'm glad she told it and glad I read it.
ingrid
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The central issue in this book, soldiers fathering children in foreign lands and abandoning them, is still very relevant. The book has some dated aspects. Of course! It was written in 1968. It is set just post Korean war. But the tale is interesting and the characters are well developed and have enough flaws to make them believable enough. It held my interest to the end.
Pam
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I've read anything by Pearl S Buck, but I will read more of her books in the near future. This story was told with compassion and insight. The tale of a young boy who's father was an American GI and who's mother was Korean. What happens to him at age 11 is an engaging tale. Marvelously written.
Angela
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really like the characters, but I liked the story. It gave a terrible glimpse of what it was like for Korean women to get pregnant from American soldiers and what the children had to live with.
Diane Wachter
The New Year, Pearl S. Buck, RDC-B, #2, 1968, 1/74. A novel about an American man, with politcal aspirations, discovers he has a Koren son that he fathered while soldiering in Korea, and his childless American wife who works to bring the family together. Good.
Melanie Lake
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
The thing I love about Pearl Buck books is the different perspective that I understand after reading each book. They always make me think deeply. This book alerted me to a huge problem that was created during the war and I never even knew it existed.
Donna
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good night time reading. Pearl Buck's books have always been some of my favorites. She has a great deal of insight into other cultures. This book is not complicated, or heavy, but enjoyable to read.
Susan Wenzel
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The New Year is a poignant and painful - on a deep, human level - look at an often unconsidered impact of war coupled with an examination of a man's deliberation of his priorities - to choose power or his own blood.
Beverly Pearce
the book was interesting. it viewed the wife as being smart but having to keep it under wraps. that bothered me. the husband i thought was going to be a jerk, but came thrugh in the end. well written
Angie Fehl
The overall story wasn't bad but a lot of the dialogue killed me! The characters spoke in such a stilted, overly proper way that it just didn't flow like natural conversation. I'm generally a fan of Pearl S. Buck but this was not one of her best bits of writing in my opinion.
Robyn Owens
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tharanga Gunasinghe
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A present for me from one of my loving teacher when i was a teenager .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Yellow
  • Yokohama Yankee: My Family's Five Generations as Outsiders in Japan
  • The Foreign Student
  • The Language of Blood
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Kuunmong: The Cloud Dream of the Nine
  • Translations of Beauty: A Novel
  • The Gift
  • Fox Girl
  • Maigret and Monsieur Charles
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...