Start by marking “Becoming Calder” as Want to Read:
Becoming Calder

Becoming Calder

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  11,827 Ratings  ·  1,470 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Archer's Voice. Becoming Calder is the first part in a two-part romance series. The conclusion, Finding Eden, is available now.

There is a place in modern day America with no electricity, no plumbing, and no modern conveniences. In this place, there is no room for dreams, no space for self-expression, and no tolerance for ambiti
Paperback, Sign of Love, Aquarius, 338 pages
Published October 5th 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Calder, please sign up.

Sara Expected publication: October 5th 2014

Sorry I'm not Mia... xD

Aestas Book Blog
:::: SPOILER-FREE REVIEW :::: 5+ STARS!!! ::::

OhMyGod. OhMyGod!!!!!!! This was OUTSTANDING!!!

Captivating. Powerful. Unique. Thought-provoking. Unforgettable. My heart was racing from the first word to the last. Mia Sheridan's flawless writing is something every reader should experience. Calder & Eden's love story captured my heart and this is, without a doubt, one of the best books I have ever read!!

There's a special feeling you get right before you start a book by an author you love. The
Christy
5+ Stars!!!

photo c9dffc21-6c1b-495e-8fd4-414dfa0f4813_zps01dcbc25.jpg

After reading Archer’s Voice, I thought there was no way Mia Sheridan could top it. It was one of those books that was so good, I was worried the next, no matter how fabulous just wouldn't measure up. I was so wrong. Becoming Calder was so different than any of her other books, but equally good as Archer for me. Both books have made their way into my top 5 so far this year and that is a huge achievement! This story exudes originality. It’s a captivating, unique, and epic forbidden lo
Catarina
5 Morning Glory Stars.

Meet Acadia, an extremely religious community (okay, let’s cut the c*ap and call it a cult) that lives apart from society and under their very own strict beliefs and rules.
One day Eden arrives, nobody knows where she comes from, but their “Father” (aka leader of the cult) tells them that she is “The Chosen One”. And from that day one she is venerated and protect from her community until “The Day” arrives. She is basically their little golden Goddess.. Except that she has n
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Now live on AMAZON!

4.5 stars!!

description

One quality I’m always on the lookout for in books is originality. And in a genre like NA contemporary where plots are rehashed and recycled, originality is harder and harder to find these days. But this one…this book oozed creativity and is truly a diamond of the first water. Add exquisite writing, charming main characters, and a captivating forbidden romance on top and it’s no wonder this book was a winner for me.

*****************************

The book begins with
Amy (Foxy)
Live -> http://amzn.to/1Aojkqa

WOW!!! BECOMING CALDER was memorizing.

I started this book without reading the blurb so I spent a little bit of time in the beginning trying to figure out what sub genre this book fell under- fantasy, dystopia, paranormal, etc. But rest assured it is not any of those genres and had I actually read the blurb I would have figured that out.

Awhile back I had read a book by Mia Sheridan and loved it so when I was given the opportunity to read this one I didn't hesita
*****4.5 What's The Story Morning Glory Stars*****
{BR with Mel and Dee}

photo 85b097ec7b9346473781f1ce13b9bba0_zps7415ceee.jpg

This was almost the first book by Mia Sheridan that I was going to give a low rating to. The first 40% of the story dragged for me, but once I got past that point, I was engrossed in this book!

Calder and Eden are both members of a cult called Acadia. They meet when he is ten and she is around eight. Eden is brought to Acadia by the cult leader, Hector. He proclaims that she is to be his intended bride on her eighteenth birth
Kristen
4 to 4 1/2 Stars

What a heartbreakingly beautiful story. My heart ached for the world these beautifully constructed characters were placed in,
yet love, hope, and friendship prevailed.

This quote below says it all. The analogy of morning glory and its strength and resilience to endure the roughest conditions sums up this book's characters brilliantly.

description

This story ends with a doozy of a cliffhanger and though I don't like cliffhangers or sequels, in this case the story needed to be spit into two dis
Saffron
Mar 30, 2014 Saffron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oct-2014
5++++ "I can't stop crying" Stars

Excuse me a moment...

Alright! I am OK, Let's start..

Before I say anything about this book, I think as potential readers you have a right to know the basic elements of this book and sadly, the blurb has done pretty lousy job of it. So this book has - Religious cult/group, YA and Forbiiden Love themes. So if any of that offends you please stop here because this book is most definitely not for you. You will hate it.

Fortunately (unfortunately) I love me some forbi
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Sep 11, 2014 ♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-for-review
BOTH BOOKS ARE 99c/99p until 7/7!!!
Becoming Calder Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk
Finding Eden
Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk

Beautiful, UNIQUE and absolutely fascinating. The story of Becoming Calder is captivating from the opening chapter to the final page...

It's about forbidden love, friendship, faith and strength, the human heart standing against evil and believing that truth and love will find a way. Having the courage to question what is right and what is horribly wrong. It's about surviving.

When the st
Jennifer Kyle
Jun 03, 2014 Jennifer Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description5 Morning Glory Starsdescription

"It might be Elysium to all of you, but to me, it sounds like hell."

description

Mia Sheridan delivers a heart pounding read of true love amongst a religious cult in Arizona. The cult leader, Hector has all his followers praying to many gods, believing in a tale of a great flood approaching in which his Eden our main character is to be his bride upon her eighteenth birthday to save all the members both workers and counsel to an awaiting paradise called Elysium.

”Eden, you must always
Jasmine
5 BUTTERSCOTCH STARS! ★★★★★

"As long as we're both under the same moon, we'll always find a way to each other."

Is it possible to be left almost breathless after putting down a book? I really didn't think so until now that I've read Mia Sheridan's writing. What an absolutely phenomenal experience to be part of this beautiful world that Mia brings to the table with her flawless writing. How is it that I've not read any of her books sooner?! *smacks self*

Okay hopefully this will be a quick review
Brandi
Sep 15, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

Becoming Calder had me captivated from the start. I love unique stories, and this story was just that. Beautifully written and compelling, this one will stay with me for a long time.

Calder and Eden are members of a religious group. Living outside of society without modern day conveniences, they live according to the teaching of a self proclaimed prophet, Hector. According to Hector a great flood is coming, but
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤

5 UNIQUE STARS

This book was absolutely fantastic!! I immediately fell in love with the story!This is unlike from what I have read before!The story was so beautiful and unique!!!!First of all I would like to say that I felt like I was inside the story, it was so captivating.I was mesmerized by the writing,the forbidden love story and the characters!!What I loved most is that from the first moment you could feel the connection between the characters and also I liked that the romance was building
Alex is The Romance Fox
Becoming Calder is the 1st book in a 2-book series and tells the story two people whose courage, goodness and love triumphs over evil.
“I had dreams as well. In that moment, right there and then, I admitted to myself that I longed for more for my life and maybe those dreams were beautiful too. Brave. I had always pushed that desire away, ashamed of it, thinking it sinful, selfish.
But maybe, just maybe, my own dreams weren’t as sinful as I’d always thought them to be…somehow.”
Mia Sheridan has
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
Mar 15, 2014 [~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 25%

I know I know not ANOTHER DNF by Ami. But in my defense I hadnt read any reviews. So why did I pick this up? I blame Ada for suggesting it. Wooh!! Had I known it was about religious cults there would no way I would have willingly picked this up.

The love story between Calder and Eden was quite sweet friendship to young lovers. It was forbidden and sweet and Im predicting a bit angsty to follow. Sounds nice and sweet but the cult aspect threw me off to continue.

Debra
Apr 24, 2014 Debra rated it it was amazing

Loved it! <3

Full review to come soon.

*ARC courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review*
Sandy ღCoffeeAddictBooksღ
"3.5 spring stars"
description

Becoming Calder was beautiful story of hope, dreams, friendship and innocent young love. Mia Sheridan has a unique way of shaping up the characters we could relate to, cherishing their growing love and living every moment of this mesmerizing romance. The author never disappoints in the department of romance, one of the my favorite scene was when Calder and Eden made love for the first time under the full moon, by their hidden spring, surrounded by candlelight was so MAGICAL!!!
Jeanne
Dnf,

The writing is great, but the subject matter isn't my cuppa. The age of the characters, the creepy cult leader, *shudders*. I'm sure there is a sweet romance here if I could handle reading the other stuff to get there, but I just can't.

I'm glad the br was full so hopefully it will go unnoticed that I am a br quitter!! :)
MELISSA
Sep 20, 2014 MELISSA rated it really liked it
3.5-4 I've Always Been Yours Stars!
(BR with Patty & Dee)

photo 8571a988-36ec-4445-bfcd-5bd128ef2905.jpg

photo b1bde185-4dc6-40bc-944d-0e86a08b53d0.jpg

Calder Raynes lives with his family at a 400 acre compound in Arizona called Acadia. The whole community is led by a cult leader named Hector Bias. He takes advantage of these people who are desperate to belong, and tells them lies about the end of the world, & the gods. There are the council members at Acadia who have all the riches & modern day luxuries, & then there are the workers who have nothing, and live in very poo
Anna
Oct 02, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
The moment when you get a package from your bestie .... And fall in love with a book all over again. I love this authors note. It made me gooey. That is all.

Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

♥♥♥ 4.5 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Wow. My feelings. My thoughts. This book was unlike anything I had ever read before. It was original and unforgettable and beautifully written. I cannot wait to read the next book.

I am a big fan of Mia Sheridan. I love the fact that her stories are ones you can't forget and that her character
Michelle
This had me heart broken

Eden is THE CHOSEN ONE she is what Acadia needs for the fortelling this is what there leader Hector as told everyone Acadia is a very strong religious group/cult Eden is been there from a young age she asnt know much in life Hector protects her from everything she doesn't really have a life he make learn to play the piano an read the HOLY BOOK that's it nothing else so once Hector is gone an a mission she gets a lil more time to check out stuff she doesn't go out of the
Ilze
If you are looking for a unique, exceptionally well written book with different setting and great story line - you SHOULD give this a try!

"Where do you find your strength, Morning Glory?" She gave me a small smile in return.
"From you," she whispered...

description

Calder and Eden, both live in a place which is cut out of the real world. Religious cult with its own laws and order. Calder is one of the workers, who have to work everyday to provide for the community. Eden is the blessed one who is meant to marr
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
3.5 - 4 ★'s

Becoming Calder is basically a story of two young children being drawn to each other and eventually falling in love. Is it allowed? No, it's not and therein lies the problem.

I have to admit that I was a bit thrown off by the subject matter of this book that I read in my friend's reviews. It doesn't mentioned it in the blurb but in case you don't know and want to: (view spoiler)

description

And I didn't like some of the things involving that subject ma
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 31, 2014 Wendy'sThoughts rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mia Sheridan Fans, Romance
5 Seriously Meaningful Stars * * * * *

People who don't read Romance may not have an understanding of how big a category it is...they may do a knee jerk reaction to ... oh, you read that...and dismiss all of the work as trivial saying, "Those books could never be as important as the other works of fiction out there"...or "They are just a bunch of plot points to get to hot scenes or grunting alphas "...

I have been reading Romance now for more than a few years. The quality and variety is vast; but
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
3 STARS

Genre: Young forbidden romance – based in a remote Cult community.
Cover: 7/10
Writing: 8/10
Heroine: 7/10
Hero: 8/10
Humour: 0/10
Hotness: 2/10
Romance: 10/10
Extra book Details: Heroine & Hero POV; 1st person. Book 1 of 2. Approx 338 Kindle pages.

Cult leader Hector discovers his blessed one at her tender age of six, but so does water bearer Calder.

A forbidden relationship grows between Eden and Calder. But Eden is betrothed to Hector and Calder has no power.

Soon, it will all come crashing d
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySkanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads
3 Powerful Stars

I don't know....I don't know...I liked this.

Mia Sheridan is an amazing storyteller and I really enjoy her books. Becoming Calder was a very interesting story and Eden and Calder were really sweet characters.

I think my only issue with this story is that I was pretty much pissed off the entire time, in a very uncomfortable way. (view spoiler)
Didi
4.5 STARS!

I'm literally jumping into the next book, Finding Eden, so I'll keep this brief! This was a beautiful, touching and utterly devastating book. It starts sweetly, a love growing between two people not meant to be together but fighting their presumed destiny anyways. A boy who lives with no electricity and no running water but has integrity and strength of character. Calder was a wonderful person and I loved him from the first to the last page.
Eden was a lovely girl that dared to dream pa
S.M. West
Jul 22, 2014 S.M. West rated it it was amazing
4.5 MORNING GLORY STARS

What I love the most about this Sign of Love series is that they're all completely different! This was no exception. This is a passionately intense story that will leave a strong and lasting impression.

If you’re a sucker for the stories of Romeo and Juliet, Guinevere and Lancelot or Tita and Pedro
( Like Water for Chocolate – I threw this one in as it’s a favourite of mine) – all forbidden loves, you will be in heaven with this two part story of Calder and Eden.

“…I’d
Kristin (KC)
Sep 17, 2014 Kristin (KC) marked it as to-read
Recommended to Kristin (KC) by: Kristal & Charmaine (Once Upon a Book Blog)

Excited to start this tonight! So many great reviews.

*Arc copy kindly provided by author*
  • Coming Home
  • Kane's Hell
  • Fighting Redemption
  • The Complete Emi Lost & Found Series (Lost & Found, #0.5-#3)
  • Thrive (Addicted, #2.5)
  • Nine Minutes (Nine Minutes, #1)
  • Never Let You Go
  • Love, in Spanish (Love, in English, #1.5)
  • Where One Goes
  • King of Hearts (Hearts, #3)
  • Black Lies
  • Into the Light (Chosen Paths, #1)
  • More Than Her (More Than, #2)
  • The Paper Swan
  • Making Faces
  • Snowflakes & Fire Escapes
  • Break the Sky (Spiral of Bliss, #4)
  • Deliver (Deliver, #1)

“As long as we’re both under the same moon, we’ll always find a way to each other.” 29 likes
“Eden, I vow this. My heart is yours. My life is yours. My body is yours. My art, my dreams. You own each and every part of me.” 29 likes