Start by marking “Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book” as Want to Read:
Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book

Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,158 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
There's never before been a book like Gallop! Employing a patented new technology called Scanimation, each page is a marvel that brings animals, along with one shining star, to life with art that literally moves. It's impossible not to flip the page, and flip it again, and again, and again.

A first book of motion for kids, it shows a horse in full gallop and a turtle swimm
Board book, 12 pages
Published November 22nd 2007 by Workman Publishing Company

karen
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i dont care if we ever find an alternative source of fuel or cure epilepsy - as long as we use technology to make fun books like this. forever.
Kathryn
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
So much fun!!! "Moving" pictures in a book!!! This is a new generation of pop-up/lift-the-flap type books and I look forward to more. Throughout the pages, cats leap, eagles fly, horses gallop all accompanied by simple but fun lyrical text. It's also durable, a welcome change from most pop-up type books.
Gina
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The text is kind of silly - a slender thread for stringing the pictures together - but the moving images are so riveting that the kids don't mind.
Mahrya
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenilia
Seder, Rufus Butler, Gallop!, Workman Publications, 2007, 12 pgs, scanimation board book.

Description: Using simple illustrations of animals overlaid with a sheet of striped acetate, Seder gives the animals an illusion of movement. Children are asked if they can move like the animals.

Review: Infants and toddlers (and even adults) will delight in the way that the animals seem to move across the page in this book. Additionally, Gallop! encourages children to move around and mimic the movements on
Tattered Cover Book Store
Sep 25, 2008 added it
Recommended to Tattered Cover by: Liz, Jackie
I LOVE this book--I've been known to spend excessive amounts of time flipping through it over and over again! It was last year's holiday gift to all the tots in my life.

Jackie

Liz says:

Everyone that sees this book is amazed. Everyone from 2 years to 80 will say, "WOW, how'd they do that"? Well...

What is Scanimation?
How it works (from wikipedia.com)

A special high-resolution (around 800 lines) monochrome camera films high-contrast artwork. The image is then displayed on a high-resolution screen. Un
Julia
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alright I fell in love with this book due to the scanamation so I won't even pretend. It is new and weird enough to catch the eye of adult or child although my young niece finally got tired of it.

The writing is simple and geared towards the toddler. On the facing page it asks the reader if they move a particular way geared towards the animal and then on the opposite gives the moving picture along with some silly "descriptive words" if you can call it that.

If a child favors this book then it wi
Annette
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-1-3
My 2-year-old really likes the moving pictures in this book. The text is nothing to write home about, but it's obviously not the point of the thing. We picked it up at a library book sale and it was a bit torn up: thankfully with a little care the pages can be repaired without destroying the movement of the images. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but then again I won't pay full price for practically anything. :)
Kristen
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristen by: Laurie
Shelves: baby
I used to love the "magic pictures" book I had when I was little. These Scanimation books are so neat, and O really likes it. The only drawback is that the book itself isn't very durable for the very young.
Jackie
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who was ever a child
I gave this book to just about everyone this past Christmas. I found it impossible to stop playing with--it's so unique and clever!
Chrissy Wassinger
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
Published: 2007
Very cool and exciting book! Very advanced visuals, really making the animals come to life with the book.
Nathan
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Impressive!
Jack Kirby and the X-man
X-man is absolutely obsessed with any moving pictures - he'll stare at any TV that is around for as long as you will let him. He is well on his way to having the same obsession with this book - he just loves the moving pictures.

He's currently too young to work lift-the-flap books, but he can happily turn the page of a book to make the pictures move. He would currently destroy a pop-up book in seconds - but this is a much more robust design.

I agree with other reviewers - 5 stars for the scanimat
Diana Thomsen
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
This book has two separate components: the moving illustrations and the actual text. Both get 4 stars from me, but for different reasons and audiences. First, the illustrations. They move. Seriously. And they are amazing. For a one-on-one reading time or for a child (or adult!) reading the book alone, these could provide many hours of enjoyment by just turning pages back and forth. Yes, I did this. Don't judge. :) As for the text, it's simple, but with pleasant rhymes and rhythm that work very w ...more
Alyssa
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
I really enjoyed this book! I think that it is a great read for younger children like when children are at the preschool age and they are just beginning to be exposed to letters and reading. The pictures are very cool and I like the fact that they are different and more interactive then a lot of the books out in the world. I think that these pictures will keep the attention of younger children longer because there is movement and they can even learn how to make the animal move. I also think that ...more
Astrid
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
So cool!!! Seemingly old "technology" that I can't seem to figure out. Open a page and a horse is galloping or a monkey flying through the jungle on a rope, or ...!! I love pop-up books like Robert Sabuda's and this is similar in its' creativity and its presentation. There is motion and it is much more durable for little ones hands!! It can be hard to see the image unless you hold the book at the right angle but that's a minor comment.

If you have children, love children's books and/or have child
Linda
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I believe this is a wonderful introduction to animals in action. The book represents how certain animals move. It is simple and direct and very addicting to the eye and mind. The author used the art of scanimation to present images of animals in motion. Scanimation was used long before DVD and all motion picture arts. Sc animation is when a series of pages flip continually to give the impression to the reader that the animals is actually in motion. This book is simple and delightful. It brings a ...more
Amanda
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-2-yr
These are amazing books. The scanimation which makes the animals seem to move is very fun and the stories are simple and playful, which my toddler enjoys. This one was damaged from the library so several of the first pictures didn't move, which was a big bummer, but it still was fun. Waddle! is a much better one and my daughter definitely looks forward *sometimes not so patiently!* for the ending to that one. One thing I don't understand is why the movement forward only happens when you take the ...more
Sarah Sammis
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2010
Gallop is the first of Rufus Butler Seder's "scanimation" books. Each page features a fluid black and white animation of an animal in motion. The movement is fluid and beautiful and as captivating as the old Muybridge motion study films.

Not to be confused with the scanimate analog video animation system of the 1960s-1980s, Seder's images work more like the kinetoscopes and zoetropes of the turn of the last century. Raquel Jaramilla discovered Seder's artwork at a trade show where he was displayi
Carrie
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
With scanimation, animals move as the reader turns the page. The animals’movements are described in large, colorful print; and the vivid verbs invite readers to pretend they’re animals that can spring, soar, and more. Gallop! is a unique book that invites readers to fan pages back and forth to see animals move. I would recommend this book for one-on-one or independent reading. The pages are fun to interact with, and children can learn a lot about the behaviors of different animals as they read. ...more
Gracee
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids 9 months to 99 years
I thought everything imaginable had been done in kids books. UNTIL I saw this one! Amazing, stimulating, and no batteries, no pens that talk, no buttons to push, no annoying bells and whistles. Now, granted, it's a childrens book, and I did read it standing in the book store...but it took me at least 20 min of turning the pages slowly...then turning them back again..re turning... looking behind..trying to figure out how these moving illustrations worked. Fascinating! I cannot imagine any kid not ...more
babyhippoface
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow, this book is awesome. It's similar to pop-up books, in that when you turn the page, something moves. But it's completely different as well, since the movement goes on behind a protective film and, thus, there's nothing for kids to grab, pinch, pull, turn, or just go ahead and rip right off of the page as soon as they open the book.

You just have to see it for yourself to get it. Every person I show this to says, "Oh!" "Wow!" "How cool!" or some other equally inspired exclamation. My Art
Becky H.
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young readers
You've got to see it to believe it. This book is so cool. The pictures really move. The horse gallops, the monkey swings from the vines, and butterfly flap its wings. Simple text, this book is good for younger children or beginner readers. Children and adults will be amazed by the pictures and you will have to flip through it over again. FUN!!! I discovered this while at a library conference and ordered it as soon as I came home.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Well, to start off, Miss Hoffman let me borrow this book, and I read it to both of my nieces in the hospital. They both really enjoyed it. My nieces, Heaven and Destinee, kept asking, "How you do that?" "How you do that?" Also, I let them read it and helped them pronounce words they didn't know. Finally before I left, they asked me to read it again. So, I read it, and they said, "Titi, that's an awesome book!"
Heidi-Marie
Oh my word--can a board book get more awesome than this?! This is fabulous. I'm afraid to put it in the collection for worry of how long it will last. But oh the interest the kids will have in it. This is too amazing to pass up. (I mean, it's a board book!)

6/6/18 Kids learned we had this when SD was trying to describe their copy at home. They were so excited, especially SS who LOVES this. It got picked for a Family Story one night.
Mohammed
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
When my baby cousin and I read this book, he loved how the pages started running. Whenever we saw an animal and I said to him, "What is this?", he told me. He knew every animal and he is only 3 years old. But when I got to his favorite anima, a cat, he went crazy. He loved how it ran. He tried to do it. He got on the floor and tried to sprint. He was going slow. When he first saw the book he loved it and at the end, he loved it even more.
Ai
May 14, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Friend and Family
Recommended to Ai by: Ms.Hoffman
When Ms.Hoffman let me rent this book to read it to my brother. When i read to myu brother he started to laugh about how i try to act like those animals in the book. Everyday he started to say "Book,book" and i know what it mean, he try to say that he want me to read to him again. When I read he learn how to speak. He know how to say " Hos,rols,doga,at,eg,chim" and that mean, horse,roster,dog,cat,eagle, and chimp. I love this book this is a awesome book.=:)
Tammy King Carlton
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the new trend in pop-up-books. It's called "scanimation" and it's SO VERY COOL. You turn the page, and the illustrations are actually moving, much the way you see motion when you fan through a stack of paper together with pictures. Anyway, My sister sent this to Andrew for his first birthday, and both of my kids have been fascinated and enthralled to actually see animals moving across the page.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby, daughter-read
This is a super smart idea and considerably well constructed. I love watching the animals move as the pages open and close. The art itself is realistic in black and white and not particularly interesting in itself. However, the graphic design adds a good amount of color and excitement with jumbled, colored text and borders. The narrative is short, rollicking with some rhyme and includes a sweetly inspirational message.
jacky
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I came across this at the bookstore. The text of this book wasn't amazing. It was just questions asking if kids could imitate certain actions of animals, like gallop. That would probably be fun to play with a child. What made this book super cool though was the pictures. Each page had a moving picture. I couldn't figure out how it worked! The title above says it is "scanimation;" I don't know how that works, but it was so cool to watch those pictures move!
Michelle
When I read this book to my niece, Lanah, she was like, "Finally, you brought the book home!" So, I began reading the book to her and she was like, "Cool, Aunt Shell! The horse is moving!" And she kept saying, "Cool!" out loud. And after I was done reading the book, she was saying, "Aunt Michelle, can you read the book to me again?" So, I read it again, and she gave me a kiss, and it was so sweet!
  • Cat
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • First 100 Words
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • Open the Barn Door
  • On the Day You Were Born
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Dogs?
  • All in a Day
  • What Makes A Rainbow (Magic Ribbon Books)