Start by marking “Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories

Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The next "screamingly hilarious"(Miami Herald) installment in the wild ride that is the life of Hollis Gillespie.

Confessions of a Recovering Slut is the hilarious and often heartrending sequel to Bleachy–Haired Honky Bitch, which concludes with Hollis Gillespie, the daughter of a missile scientist and an alcoholic traveling trailer salesman, at last finding a home of her o
Published May 30th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Recovering Slut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Recovering Slut

Eva Leger
Oct 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people with a sense of humor directly opposite of mine
Recommended to Eva by: found it on BookMooch
I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it and that is almost unheard of for me. I think this will be the third or fourth book in my 'couldn't finish' list and I read A LOT. I almost always plow through a book no matter what but it wasn't happening here.
I think Hollis Gillespie has some talent hidden somewhere but I think the main problem, as I see it anyway, is she tried entirely TOO HARD. I got to page 97 before I gave up and the longest "chapter" was three pages. Okay great. Now, to put forth some h
Susan
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sedaris and Eggers fans
One supposes that a reader could read this book simply to feel the rush of relief that suddenly his/her problems don't seem so bad, or their friends don't seem so crazy, or their life decisions don't seem so out of whack. There's no denying that the book offers plenty of potential there. After all, we're glimpsing a world where friends routinely break into each other's homes (to plant prank evidence of a orgy that never happened, or just to steal all of someone's tequila), the annoying neighbors ...more
Marissa
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
What a great plane read--lots of small chapters that are hilarious an quick to read. (I always have to look up and people watch in airports, so this was good--I could read and look up and not miss anything.) Gillespie has a great style and distinct voice, very sarcastic and funny. I do have to admit that part of why I liked her is that she lives in Atlanta, and many of the places she mentions are places I've been to. Worth a summer read, definitely.
Becky
Jun 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed with this book. I've read several blog to book authors and enjoyed them, but this one couldn't keep my attention. I didn't feel like there was a theme that tied the story together, and because of that I couldn't develop any attachment to the story. I was definitely bummed - really wanted to enjoy it.
Beth
May 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
First of all, I'll admit, I bought the book because of the title. Unfortunately, the title is the best thing about the book. It's a disappointment - repetitive and not funny. It was pure torture to read, and I only finished it because my husband and I tallied up how much I've spent on Amazon.com in the last 5 years. Figured I should get my money out of this book. :)
Grace
Dec 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Another stunner from the school library. People, please think twice about donating obscure books to Thai schools where Thai literacy is a more pressing problem.
Keely
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a native Metro-Atlantan, I appreciate being reminded of the beauty of my hometown... specifically the crackheads and whores and prostitutes that litter the city. Hollis is the queen of "hook 'em with the first line" and has a knack for twisting painful circumstances into hilarity. I think I enjoyed this one even more than Bleachy-Haired-- she has several stories about becoming a mother, what I kept hoping for in the first. I like reading memoirs with lots of swearing and grit. If you do, too, ...more
Bonobro
Oct 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
reading this was like taking bad crack- the predictable formula was simultaneously addictive, yet aggravating to the point of fury, where I would slam the book shut and throw it against a wall with outrage that such banal "prose" could be compared to something as wonderful as David Sedaris. The next afternoon, after work, I would go to where it fell in the corner, flip it open and repeat the whole process. I'm bummed I bought it. don't buy it.
David Dixon
Vase-shatteringly bad book; perfectly charming interview.

Bought Jaegermeister for research; drink better than book.

Shame not because of the sex, of which I recall almost nothing, but for the corny homiletic style.
Mayet
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very funny and occasionally heartbreaking glimpse into Hollis life.
cat
Mar 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
not as compelling as expected...less david-sedaris and more bitter-cynic-at-the-end-of-the-bar-who-does-not-understand-the-need-for-alone-time
Jeannie
Apr 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
This was probably one of the most boring and unfunny books I've tried to read in quite some time. Honestly folks I gave up on page 73. Not for me.
TX Poppet
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tx-southern
Loved the first one, but this was just the same stories repeated again. Skip it.
Leslie
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
hilarious.
Melissa
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beth
Bleachy Haired Honkey Bitch was a little edgier than Confessions, but I enjoyed Gillespie's sophmore effort as well. She is sharp and funny and sometimes heartbreaking. Book # 3, here I come!
Melissa Rutledge
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
I had read her first book "Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch" several years ago when it first came out, so I was really excited to read her sequel to it. I have to say I didn't love this one as much though. It still had the same spunk and essay format as its predecessor, but somewhere in the pages it lost some of the fieriness. Maybe it's because she had a kid? I'm not sure. Every essay in this one had a very bittersweet tone and the book as a whole got very repetitive (I know these are meant to be sta ...more
Marisa
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was horrible. I recently have had a bad habit of starting books and disliking them and throwing them aside to pick up something better. I dislike this quality in myself and decided to change my ways, boy was I disappointed that I had to finish this. I was expecting laughs, I did not laugh out loud once. All that can be said to cheer me up is that I am glad that I did not pay for this book and it was a loaner from the library. It was depressing. It also made me feel that books like thes ...more
Lanyisha
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This book had a lot of short stories in it. So it was easy to put the book down and then come back to it at a later time. The author of this book also uses voice. I read this book before I read My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me so this is when I really began to pay attention to voice. I feel like the author used it appropriately because the book consisted of a lot of short stories put together. So I really could not imagine this book written without a good sense of voice to support it. The tech ...more
Chelsea
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it
OK so this book grew on me. At 1st I didn't like it at all and thought since this is a sequel and I had not read the first book...I still ended up liking this author at the end. I felt sorry for her life and that even though she has been around the block a few times, she still came out a good person. I felt sorry for the loss of her parents and the fact that her siblings and herself were forced to grow up in some unusual situations. Roll with the punches and come out like a diamond in the rough.
S
Aug 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Eh. This lady spends a maddening amount of time saying the same things over and over. It wouldn't be so bad if they were just abstract theories, but actually they are stories... things that happened to her in real life... you'd think that when writing a book (or two) you would be aware of the stories you did tell and did not. Maybe she had some amount of pages to fill in a publishing contract? Overall though, I did like some of the things she had to say and I enjoyed the liberal use of curse wor ...more
apocketnovel
May 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography, library
This book is so stupid, badly written, ridiculous and infuriating. It doesn't make sense, the grammar is atrocious, the time lines are all messed up. Structure, what's that?

I will finish it, I will finish it, I will finish it.

I hate reading bad books but I pretty much always finish them. If I can't finish them, they probably belong in the bin.

I don't know who Holly Gillespie is but she should leave writing to writers.

Finished it, it was utter crap. Don't bother!
Kate
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It had all of the humor, all the friends you loved and all the "Hollis-ness" of "Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch," with a little more of what is touching and emotionally effective about it. Of course it is more emotionally involved as Hollis writes about becoming a mother and all that that entails.
Madameugly
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this after "Trailer Trashed" so I knew what I was getting into. A collection of newspaper columns which made for a bit of a repetitive read.

It's an easy, quick read perfect for keeping you entertained on a bus or the toilet.
robin
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
I like Hollis Gillespie..but these essays are so similar to those in Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch that it doesn't make sense that she published this one. She also has a tendency to overuse certain words/phrases and it annoys me. Funny, though.
Jeanette
Eh...it was ok. I've read some of the other stories..repeats?...it was an easy read. I like that she's a Flight attendant and lives in Atlanta, but the stories were super scatter brained and all over the place. There wasn't a flow, which was annoying.
Amanda
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Does it actually matter what is inside the book? It's the title that really counts.
Dana
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Love this girl!
Sara
Sep 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book was ok, I never finished it - got bored and it went back to the library shortly after.
Stacy
Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ladies
another fabulous book from Hollis. in this one she tells us how she had to pull her shit together for her daughter. touching and hilarious.
Meredith
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Just as funny!
  • She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir
  • The House at the End of the Road: The Story of Three Generations of an Interracial Family in the American South
  • Fired!: Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, and Dismissed
  • I Love You More Than You Know
  • Avoiding Prison and Other Noble Vacation Goals: Adventures in Love and Danger
  • Cancer Is a Bitch: Or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis
  • Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences
  • I Took a Lickin' and Kept on Tickin': And Now I Believe in Miracles
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag (High School Chronicles of Ariel Schrag)
  • Tiny Ladies in Shiny Pants: Based on a True Story
  • Growing Up Jung: Coming of Age as the Son of Two Shrinks
  • Southern Fried Divorce
  • Everybody into the Pool: True Tales
  • Breakfast with Tiffany: An Uncle's Memoir
  • Queen of the Oddballs: And Other True Stories from a Life Unaccording to Plan
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • Hyper-chondriac: One Man's Quest to Hurry Up and Calm Down
  • Cabin Pressure: One Man's Desperate Attempt to Recapture His Youth as a Camp Counselor
Hollis Gillespie is a humorist, syndicated columnist, NPR commentator and top-selling author. Her column can be found monthly on the back page of every issue of Atlanta magazine.

Hollis has appeared on the cover of numerous publications including Atlanta magazine, Creative Loafing and Tampa’s Weekly Planet. She has been profiled in Marie Claire, Bust, Writer’s Digest and Entertainment Weekly.

Her te

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“But things never go according to plan. In fact, I think if you're really attached to controlling your future, you should plan for the opposite of what you want just to confuse the cosmic comedians whose sole job is to figure out what you think your future should hold so they can preclude it from ever happening.” 2 likes