Start by marking “Rabbit Trick (Mindspace Investigations, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Rabbit Trick (Mindspace Investigations, #0.5)

Rabbit Trick

(Mindspace Investigations #0.5)

New short story in the Mindspace Investigations universe (with two bonus short stories in other worlds from author Alex Hughes).

Open Mind

When the cops call me in the middle of the night, I know it's bad. One of their own is dead, strangled in her car by a professional killer, and it's up to me, telepath consultant extraordinaire, to pull the rabbit out of my hat and solve
Published March 5th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published March 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit Trick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit Trick

Start your review of Rabbit Trick (Mindspace Investigations, #0.5)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Beware of the telepath!
Q:
“What color are my boxers?”
I sighed, lowered the shields a bit, and skimmed the information off the surface of his troubled mind. Damn parlor tricks. “You wear briefs,” I said. “And that was a visual I could have done without, thanks bunches.” I shored up my shields, annoyed now, trying to push his nasty emotion-snarl out of my head. (c)
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Adam gets called to a crime scene at 3 a.m. Cherabino drives him to a place where a police officer is murdered in her car . Slipping into Mindspace, he soon realizes there was someone else with the murdered woman and a killer in that car.
I don't really like cops in this series. I have yet to meet one who isn't ungrateful and judgemental. Their attitude, Cherabino's in particular, towards Adam makes me really mad.
Still, there are so many things to like in this series.

There are two bonus stories
Dr susan
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again, own
Rabbit Trick gets 5 stars, and is set before Clean. Hughes helpfully reminds readers that we do not find out her character's name until the end of Clean (and I admit that I flipped through Clean when I finished it the first time, certain his name appears in it somewhere else!). I love these stories which are a blend of science fiction, mystery, and spy thriller.

The carousel short is extremely creepy, and is made even creepier by being told in the first person. I knew what was going to happen, b
Meggie
This shorty was an enjoyable introduction to Mindspace series. I liked the main protagonist Adam, but didn't much like Detective Isabella Cherabino. Even so, I'm looking forward for more.
Sionna
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
*horror tag added for the two additional stories at the end*

This is a VERY short novella. Reading this after book 2, I recognized this case since it is mentioned there. It was nice seeing Adam be awesome haha.

The two stories at the end do not go with the Mindspace Investigations series. The first one is soooo creepy, but I absolutely loved it. The second one is about a captain trying to save his ship from a mermaid. I liked it, but it is one I'll probably forget while the first is one I'll reme
Dana
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great beginner novella for this series. I have read them out of order, but only because I did not have access to them in order. I highly recommend that you do read them in order.
In this novella Adam and Cherabino are just getting to know each other, and Adam is just getting his feet underneath him with the police.
At the end there were also two very short teaser stories by Alex Hughes that had nothing to do with this series. They were interesting, but were only the beginnings of each.
RavenT
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent prequel to the series, but I'd recommend reading the first book before this novella, because it's not backstory and will make much more sense if you have read Clean first.

For a novella, it's got a mystery plot and great futuristic world building elements, which place this in the SF genre. The series is a gritty, slightly dystopic, urban cop thriller with psych powers as an known element of society.
C.J. Laurence
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas

I enjoyed this for a short read. The ideas expressed throughout were intriguing enough to make me curious about the Mindspace series. The two bonus stories, especially The Carousel, were a delightful peek inside the authors mind. Definitely would love to see The Carousel fleshed out into a full length novel.
Ericka
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Concept

Mindspace is an interesting way of defining telepathy. It makes it easy to conceive what the character is actually doing. I'm interested in pursuing more books in this series.
Ken Mcgourty
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is between the 1st 2 novels in the Mind Space series, Clean and Sharp. There are a couple of incidents mentioned in Sharp that refer back to events in Rabbit Trick. If you enjoy the series, definitely read her novellas ( only on Kindle ).
Yemic
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short read, nice intro to the world of telepathy investigation.
Heidi Kirsch
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
So utterly disappointed. Truly dig this series but this was not a story that needed to be done. Plus the two "bonus" pieces were just not on the mark, or even in the Mindspace universe. Pouting.
Shelley
Jo
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to read more from this author! This was an enjoyable and interesting paranormal detective book.
☀Rachael☀
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I forgot how much I liked this series!
Steven Klotz
I like the way Hughes writes a character that can effortlessly read the thoughts and emotions of those around him. At the core of this character is a drug addiction that’s tied to these abilities. The social tension of not being trusted for both of these reasons allows for a constant stream of minor conflicts, which give the story energy.

From there she writes a fairly standard police procedural, with flying cars and a global fear of networked technology. This particular story is set before Clean
chucklesthescot
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf-pnr, ebook, fiction
It's always hard to review a short story without giving away all of the plot but I'll give you a few lines about this one.

Homocide Detective Isabella Cherabino calls in a telepathic former drug addicted consultant to help solve the murder of a female cop by looking into the mind of her five year old son who witnessed the crime.

This is an introduction of characters for an urban fantasy series and I liked the idea of a specialist in solving crimes by psychic means being involved. Our hero has mana
Jaime O'Connell
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a short add-on to the current universe of Alex Hughes' "Mindspace" series. Although it was well-written and engaging in the way it kept the action moving from start to finish, it felt to me too brief to bring any value to the reader trying to clarify their understanding of the setting and characters of "Mindspace". Also, because of the short length of the book we only end up seeing Adam and Cherbino. The rest of our regular, adored cast is absent.
In summary, while this book was a good
Airyie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was goodish, but very very very short.

The beginning was interesting, and the premise set up well.
But everything concluded way too fast. There either needed to :
1. be more time given to fleshing out characters + their relationships, (view spoiler)
2. Showing more investigative stuff or at least discussion of the (view spoiler)
3. (view spoiler)
William
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this instead of diving into the first novel just to see what it's like and if I like the writing style. Verdict - Great writing, descriptions, summation of the world and lead character. The only negative has nothing to do with the writing, it's with the characters, specifically the cops.

If a guy shows up at my job and fixes most of my problems and I still get credit for it, the last thing I'm going to do is treat him like a dog. So yeah, that craptastic attitude they exude, es
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good set of short stories set before the first book of this series "Clean". I found them relatively interesting and they were not bad plot wise.

I wish I could be more specific, but I can't really. They are really just there, kinda. I'm not good at writing about short stories that only contain a few stories. plus I think I might like this a bit better when I've read more of the series.

Basically, a recommended set of stories for people who have read the series and like it.
Barbara
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great early story in the Mindspace world - with solving the murder of a cop a priority, Adam and Cherabino are assigned to the case. Adam is expected to pull a rabbit out of a hat, and he's hoping he can come through, using his mind reading abilities to investigate this tricky case. I love this series and any time I get an opportunity to follow along as Adam uses his ability to assist in investigations, I'll jump at the chance.
Amyiw
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a quick short that takes you right into the Mindspace World. It'll give new readers an idea of the series and be a quick fix for those that know the characters. Probably will like it a little better knowing the characters, but don't need to.

I really am liking this series a lot though the object of his desire is a bit annoying, both the person and the drug. :-) I really like the main character.
Rastlin98
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Chad
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A telepath helps to solve a murder case in which a cop was killed.

This short story was well written and quickly brings the reader into the world and introduces the characters. I just wish there was more. It seemed a bit to compact, but I get the sense that the full stories may be more robust.
Katherine
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-shorts
An excellent taste that makes me certain I want to read the series
Monica T. Rodriguez
Great short story to tide me over till Vacant! Nice insights into the main characters.
Chris
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like the series, you will like the story. Short and complete, related to the events in the larger series.
Molly Smith
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short but sweet, I enjoyed this early story of "our nameless hero" and Cherabino. It was compelling and gripping for a very short but intricate mystery. I really liked it.
Amy Braun
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great short! Already got me interested in the series.

• Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • A Fistful of Frost (Madison Fox, #3)
  • A Fistful of Fire (A Madison Fox, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Death and Relaxation (Ordinary Magic, #1)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Fearless (Pax Arcana, #3)
  • Candle Cove and Other Stories
  • Goodbye (The Dresden Files, #12.1)
  • Job Placement (The Dresden Files, #15.2)
  • The Ghost Train to New Orleans (The Shambling Guides, #2)
  • Return of the High Fae (Vegas Fae, #1)
  • The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish
Alex Hughes was born in Savannah, GA and moved to the south Atlanta area when she was eight years old. Shortly thereafter, her grandfather handed her a copy of Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonrider series, and a lifelong obsession with scifi was born.

Alex is a graduate of the prestigious Odyssey Writing Workshop and a Semi-Finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards. Her short pieces are publishe

Mindspace Investigations (4 books)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)