Start by marking “By Any Means” as Want to Read:
By Any Means

By Any Means

Kyle, Captain and Jimmy are three teenage cousins growing up in Sydenham, Durban. A world where drugs, alcohol and violence are an everyday occurrence. By Any Means tells the story of how these three youngsters try and navigate this environment in order to achieve their dreams. And how, in this gritty, dirty world - love, friendship and brotherhood can still grow.

"None of
Published May 15th 2014 by Human & Rousseau

To ask other readers questions about By Any Means, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Any Means

Start your review of By Any Means
Kirsty Hoggons
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I received this book as a part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I was very excited to start reading this book because I am South African and I know that we have lot of talent here; I was not disappointed. This book is incredibly easy to read and everything flows so well. It is very descriptive and very realistic. I love Kyle and I feel as though he is just a part of unfortunate circumstances. I feel sorry for Captain; he's just trying to do right for his family. I felt sad while reading when it seems as
Alain Barbeau
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read.Being Colored knowing the area in which this book was set and having schooled with the author made this an extra special read for me,Honest,fast paced,gripping,sad,reality are just a few words that come to mind.Once again well done Kurt Ellis on ur debut novel.Cant wait for ur next one.
Melanie Ellis
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Made me laugh, cry and ask why, why, why! Really an awesome book for a South African first-time author
Dean
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. I finished this novel in less than a day. This is not a novel that will be remembered for its great literary style, its prose or its complex themes. It will be remembered because it resonates with a community of people and because it reminds us how our environment has a massive impact on how our lives turn out. I grew up in Sydenham and walked the same streets. I lived in Rafferty Crescent and Disney Heights. I went to Bechet Senior Scondary for a year before moving to another ...more
Jessica Robak
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By Any Means is a truly fantastic novel. Kurt Ellis has managed to capture a world we often tend to pretend doesn’t exist, in a raw yet intelligent manner. This book took my through every emotion conceivable. I bonded with each character and felt what they were going through. Ellis writes with a passion that many authors today do not seem to have and I absolutely could not put the book down. It’s a strange concept to try mesh Shakespeare, love, football, gangs and Sydenham into one book; yet eac ...more
Penny de Vries
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sa-fiction
Opposing youth gangs in the Coloured community in Sydenham seek dominance over each other and even those that would like to stay out of it are sucked in.

The action is mesmerising, driven by the dialogue and situations which will have you on the edge of your seat. Despite the inevitable tragedy that unfolds, the trajectory of events is far from predictable.

One cannot help but compare this novel to What Will People Say by Rehana Rossouw because they both deal with gangsterism and drugs in the Colo
Amone Redelinghuys
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. From the first paragraph to the last sentence it is a captivating page-turner. What I enjoyed most about this book is the fact that the author paints such accurate pictures. Kurt Ellis, sets the scene perfectly for something that was completely outside of my frame of reference yet a everyday reality for many South Africans. A must read for anyone interested in understanding the unique South African context.
Etienne Delport
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, drama, suspense
Received as a Goodreads giveaway.

A great read. Love books where I can relate to the people. More than once I thought, know that man. One of those books that I wish would become compulsory reading at school. Far to many people unaware of the struggles their neighbours face.
Clarissa Ross
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best reads ever.
Eugene
Cindy
Jan 01, 2019
Younger
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's books like this, that I wish were part of the school syllabus.
Shira Rosenbaum
Derrick Iverson
Aug 21, 2015
Tony Vrnjas
Nov 12, 2015
Kurt Ellis was born in 1983 in Sydenham, Durban. He escaped into the world of fiction from an early age. After he matriculated Kurt moved to Johannesburg to study English Literature. He won the Harry Oppenheimer Creative Writing award at Wits in his first year, before pursuing a career in sales.
His debut novel was published by Human and Rousseau in 2014. By Any Means went on to be long listed in

News & Interviews