Start by marking “The Forbidden Wish” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden Wish

The Forbidden Wish

(The Forbidden Wish #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  11,817 ratings  ·  2,504 reviews
She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world...

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of yearsa world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until
Published February 23rd 2016 by Razorbill

YA Novels of 2016
1,131 books — 9,719 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,348 books — 6,885 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,817 ratings  ·  2,504 reviews

Start your review of The Forbidden Wish
Emily May
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Wishes have a way of twisting themselves, and there is nothing more dangerous than getting your heart's desire. The question is, are you willing to gamble? How much are you willing to lose? What are you willing to risk everything for?

I had a lot of doubts going into The Forbidden Wish. Yet another YA retelling? Yet another YA romance? But I should never have doubted my trusted Goodreads friends because there is nothing typical about this book.

Firstly, it is very romancey. Let's get that out
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I am not allowed to hope. I am forbidden a wish of my own. And so I will not think of the world above, of the open sky, of the fresh air and the light of day.

I will be lost, a myth, a dream. Trapped forever with myself in this prison of sand and magic. I cannot imagine a more terrifying doom. I thought I had resigned myself to this fate long ago, when it seemed no one would ever find me. Now I know this to be untrue, and that hope has pulsed deep within me like a dormant seed, waiting to
Cristina Monica
4 1/2 stars.

My, my, what an enchanting retelling of Aladdin brimming with magic, humour, villains and good kissing!

Give me thy hand, said the Queen, and let us be friends. For does not the poet say, one true-hearted friend is worth ten thousand camels laden with gold?

This the Jinni pondered, before replying, The poet also says, woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death.

Zahra is a jinni. For thousands of years, she has granted wishes. Freedom is something she knows
jessica
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is better than the original story of aladdin and im not even sorry that i think this.

this is just so well-balanced between creating a fresh new story with also having the subtle echoes of something familiar. and each new and original additional to the old tale is just so vibrant, that it totally outshines everything i thought i knew about the original story.

although, i have come to the conclusion that i can read anything related to arabian nights and i will absolutely adore it. i
Jessica Khoury
Jan 30, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
THE FORBIDDEN WISH is a story that has been tugging at me for years, and I'm overjoyed and honored to finally be sharing it with you at last. When Zahra first came to me, demanding that her side of the story be told, I was immediately entranced. I think the genie is the most fascinating character of the Aladdin fairytale. But what if the genie were a girl? What if there were more to her story? These questions became my obsession, and Zahra's voice was so strong in my mind that often, while ...more
Navessa
"We are adrift on a sea of moonlight sand, the silence as infinite as the space between the stars."

Well, well, well. This is one beautifully written fairy tale retelling.

Imagine the story of Aladdin. Now change the sex of the jinni who serves him, add in some supernatural politics, some courtly intrigue, a handful of badass female warriors, two peoples on the brink of war, and you basically have this book in a nutshell.

Was it perfect? No. I definitely had some issues with it. But now that
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

BR with the astounding Chelsea and Jen

"This place is haunted by ghosts, and I am one of them."

Told in a beautiful and evocative writing enhanced with sparks of humor, The Forbidden Wish surprised me in the best way possible : indeed albeit being quite romance-focused, it manages to avoid the tropes I hate the most in Fantasy/PNR YA :

☑ There's neither instalove nor love triangle.(*)
☑ The female lead is always sympathetic toward other women and there's no such thing as girl hate.
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
A powerful jinni and a boy from the streets- let the chaos begin.

Seriously how the fuck could you not want to read this book?? This shit has everything! The general premise is there's this huge human vs jinn war, female assassins, AND a powerstruggle in the kingdom

It all begins when Aladdin finds Zahra's lamp...and it all basically goes downhill from there
"I sense the boy the moment he sets foot in the cave. For the first time in centuries, I stir. I am smoke in the lamp, and I curl and
Simona B
4.5

"All the world is in your shadow."

By way of introduction, I should inform you that Khoury's Aladdin spoke to my infamously cold heart. I think that, on my infatuation scale, this one reaches a Paul Markov level. Which means I'm crushing on the guy. Very hard. (Though Paul Markov still remains a case on his own and my spiritual connection to him has by now achieved the status of True Love. Time will tell if with Aladdin will happen as much.) So, well, you see how I'll probably won't be 100%
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I SENSE THE BOY the moment he sets foot in the cave.

For the first time in centuries, I stir.

I am smoke in the lamp, and I curl and stretch, shaking off the lethargy of five hundred years. I feel I have half turned to stone. The sound of his footsteps rattles me like a clap of thunder, and I bolt fully awake.

As you can tell from the blurb, this is a retelling of Aladdin. I was afraid I wouldn't like this book for reasons, but I really did enjoy it. I love Zahra the jinni from the lamp. Aladdin
Clara
** 4.5 "WONDERFUL AND CAPTIVATING" stars **

I actually picked this one quite randomly, and without any high expectations about it, but to my greatest astonishment, this book turned out to be my best surprise of the year so far ! I honestly couldnt find one thing I didnt love about it or one reason why I shouldnt give this book 4.5 stars ! So here it is : 4.5 amazing stars !

The story :
Were following Zahra, a very old and powerful Jinni whos been stuck in her lamp for thousands of years. But one
High Lady of The Night Court
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: retellings-read
A roller coaster ride full of adventure, magic, and love.

This was the retelling of Aladdin I didn't know I was waiting for. It is definitely among one of the best retellings I have read. I especially loved the author's writing and her description in the last 4 chapters was enchanting. I could not be more glad that I decided to pick it up, it was great a great story enforced with even better characters.

This is a story about a Jinni who is believed to have betrayed not only her kind but also the
Jasmine
Latest & Final Update: 3/15/2016

**Actual rating: 3.5/5 My-Thief Stars**

Well, this is one of those stories which started with a promising beginning but the plot didn't develop as flawlessly as I hoped. Seriously, the first half of the book along with Aladdin and Zahra's upcoming adventure was very captivating and I was incurably obssessed with it. I was so eager to know what kind of trials they would encounter and how they would work as a team. Above all, I really wanted to see how well
Natalie Monroe
"My name," I stammer. "I mean... one of them. You can call me Zahra."

He turns around fully, his grin as wide and bright as the moon. "I'm Aladdin."

Thank God for reviews. Without them, I would have taken one look at the description of earth-shaking love, went nope and clicked away.

Is The Forbidden Wish heavy on romance?

Admittedly, yes.

Very early on in the story, Zahra develops an attraction for Aladdin, the boy, as we all know from the story, who let the genie (called "jinni" here) out of the
Samantha
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2016
4.5 stars!
may ❀
Full review posted:

This is one of those books suffering a STRONG case of its-most-definitely-me-not-you bc it seems that the entire world adored it and im kinda here on the sidelines like. . .
w h y ??? I want to share in the fangirling too ;-;

(s)

Pros
- Middle eastern SETTING, be still my heart
- Aladdin retelling, I mean who can hate Disney ???
- V cute ship even tho its not really ship-material but I still found myself rooting these too on
- Aladdin is a cutie, gahhhh, hes such a flirt but this
emi
Buddy read with Elise, Joanna, and Maram, who I'll link when I'm not so lazy.

This was blurbed by Renée Ahdieh. I'd read the dictionary of she told me to. This better surpass all expectations.
mxa ☂︎
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same:

rtc

yes, I'm starting another book even though I haven't managed to finish at least 1 current read since June 5th :)

BR WITH ELISE, EMI AND JOANNA!!!

This book is blurbed by Marissa Meyer, SJM, and Renée Ahdieh 😱😱 so PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE BE GOOD!!!
Alyssa
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
4.5 stars! Trying to decide if I want to round up or down. I LOVED this book!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Summary (from Goodreads):

♡Jacqueline♡ beautyliterate
5/5 stars

Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Tjx...

This book was one of most anticipated reads of 2016 and it didn't not disappoint. Can't wait to film and post my video review because I have lots to talk about!!
☆☽Erica☾☆
The only evidence that there ever was a garden of wonders, the only testimony to the great city lost beneath the sand, is a single pale coin that lies on the surface, winking at the moon.
And, of course, there is me.

This book is damn near flawless.

I am in love with it. This book was literally so much fun and so much wonderful and so much delightful that I just want to

This is a retelling of Aladdin, with a few twists- including the fact that the jinni of the lamp is a girl named Zahra who has
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
"Give me thy hand," said the Queen, "and let us be friends. For does not the poet say, one true-hearted friend is worth ten thousand camels laden with gold?"

This the Jinni pondered, before replying, "The poet also says, woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death."
3.5 STARS

The Forbidden Wish was actually not a bad story at all. I was a little worried that this retelling would butcher my love for Aladdin but while it didn't disappoint, it didn't impress me either.
Maureen
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This might be more like a 4.5 but MAN OH MAN did I love this book.
ZAHRA MY BBY MY FAVORITE FOREVER. I also really loved the small subtle Aladdin movie references they were so great and AHHHH Aladdin is one of my faves so this book was perfect for my Disney loving heart. WORLD BUILDING GREAT ALL THE THINGS GREAT.
Sometimes there were some things that didn't make sense and sometimes there were pacing issues, but those are really the only things I didn't love about this book.
Nastassja

Unplanned buddy-read with my fellow Watchmaidens Kristalia and Katerina.

Like all wishes, the Forbidden Wish comes at a price. My freedom must be bought with a death, a life paid in sacrifice."

Once upon a time in Agrabah lived a boy named Aladdin. He was a homeless thief who survived by stealing food. One day he was caught and brought to a palace where a sinister vizier Jafar made a proposition to him: retreat an old lamp from a dangerous land and Aladdin will live, or decline and he will die.

Elle (ellexamines)
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romantic fantasy fans
Recommended to Elle by: Simona B
You think some rabble with kitchen knives makes you a queen?
Caspida glances back at the people, fighting tooth and nail against the better-equipped soldiers. They're exactly what makes me a queen.

Well, that was a bit of a surprise. The Forbidden Wish is a romantic Aladdin retelling with added romance, yes, but it's also a story about women and their power in the world. Talk about passing the Bechdel test - this absolutely killed it with badass girl leads.

I'm tired of living for the dead. I
Alafiya
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have no form, I have no name. I am the Slave of the Lamp, and your will is my will. Your wishes are my commands.

The lamp's Jinni can grant your three wishes, here is my first:

description

Yeah, I am talking about Aladdin.

Habibas, this book is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Bubbling and sizzling with lush imagination, with magic laced into every word and romance that doesn't make you gag, this book is a literary firecracker!

One of the best novels I have read this year, The Forbidden Wish is the story
Μaria Vrisanaki
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5stars
A truly jewel!

Glittering, atmospheric, sweet, romantic, tender
Fool of smoke, sand and magic!

description

Wish for her love, and I will deliver it to you

Then it wouldnt be love
And what do you know about love?
That it must be a choice
Oh, my naïve thief, love is rarely a choice

-----------------------------------------------

I loved every time when thief called Zahra Smoky

-----------------------------------------------

Buddy read with my lovely Maria Grim (noelias_books) 😉❤
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
This is a book I wish I could read for the first time again and again. The writing is addictive, the romance is subtle and smooth, the jinni aspects are captivating, the story is great, and it is a fitting retelling of Aladdin. I didn't expect this one to be as great as it was, and I'm happy to say I've found a book that gives me The Wrath and The Dawn vibes!

I haven't read anything by Jessica Khoury, so I went into this story with no expectations. I knew it was an Aladdin retelling, and I was
Laurie –Read Between The Skylines–
Love is a path lined with roses, I say bitterly. But it leads to a cliffs edge, and all who follow it tumble to their doom.

Which Character from The Forbidden Wish are you? take the quiz right here! I got Zahra, my favourite character in this book!! Tell me who you got in the comment!

This book was close to perfection!

I havent planned to read this book yet. I didnt even hear about it before its release. But my in a couple of weeks, my feed has been filled by positive reviews and most of my
Lainey
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Video Review: coming soon!

Solid 4/5 star read for me, I really really enjoyed this one! Surprisingly, when I first heard about this book a year ago I wasn't sure if I would like it. Aladdin is my absolute favorite Disney movie and still didn't know if I would like this retelling or not. However, this book was such a surprise I just loved loved this re-imagined take on Aladdin. If you didn't know what this book was about, it tells the story of Aladdin and his jinni, if the jinni was a female.
Unapologetic Roma...: Khoury, Jessica // The Forbidden Wish 3 33 Oct 27, 2020 04:14PM
Fans of Fairyloot: The Forbidden Wish 1 5 Aug 12, 2020 09:55AM
Sirens Conference: The Forbidden Wish 1 19 Jul 14, 2017 01:52PM

• La maldición de los reinos
  • El jardín de hierro
  • El despertar de las brujas
  • La voz de Amunet
  • Nosotros en la Luna
  • Pinkies Girls
  • ¿Quién diablos eres?
  • Reinos de cristal (Marabilia, #5)
  • Todo lo que somos juntos (Deja que ocurra, #2)
  • La venganza del unicornio (El dragón y el unicornio, #2)
  • El incienso de los espíritus (Helena Lennox, #3)
  • Héroes de cobre
  • Marfil (Enfrentados, #1)
  • Tú y otros desastres naturales
  • Rituales (Brujas y nigromantes, #2)
  • El día que dejó de nevar en Alaska
  • Las alas de Sophie
  • Strawberry Moon: La hija de la luna
Jessica Khoury wrote her first book at age 4, a fan fic sequel to Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur, which she scribbled on notebook paper, stapled together, and placed on the bookshelf of her preschool classroom. Since that day, she's dreamed of being an author.

When not writing, Jess enjoys spending time with family, playing video games, and oil and watercolor painting. She is also a