Start by marking “Magonia (Magonia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magonia (Magonia, #1)

Magonia

(Magonia #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  15,612 Ratings  ·  3,188 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestseller Maria Dahvana Headley’s soaring sky fantasy Magonia is now in paperback!

Since she was a baby, Aza Ray Boyle has suffered from a mysterious lung disease that makes it ever harder for her to breathe, to speak—to live. So when Aza catches a glimpse of a ship in the sky, her family chalks it up to a cruel side effect of her medication. But Aza does
Published April 28th 2015 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Magonia, please sign up.
LaSibila Neil Gaiman writes like poetry. John Green use a melodramatic style like soap opera. Lots of tears and feelings, Death and live, repetitions…moreNeil Gaiman writes like poetry. John Green use a melodramatic style like soap opera. Lots of tears and feelings, Death and live, repetitions ("...makes it ever harder for her to breathe, to speak—to live"). (less)
Nashalee The author said that there will be:
A novella & A sequel

Emily May
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm dark matter. The universe inside of me is full of something, and science can't even shine a light on it. I feel like I'm mostly made of mysteries.

Oh my... Magonia is one hell of a rare novel.

Not only does it offer an intriguing blend of reality-infused science fiction and highly-imaginative fantasy, but it is also unlike anything I have ever read before.

I've always said that - for me - originality is one of the best and rarest compliments a writer can get. Not "this is the next Hunger Game
Lola
I know everyone has dreams of flying, but this isn’t a dream of flying. It’s a dream of floating, and the ocean is not water but wind.

I call it a dream, but it feels realer than my life.

Breathe, Lola, breathe!

description

Oh god. What did you do to me, Magonia? How dare play with my emotions… over and over again? You showed me your careless, beautiful, powerful, pitiless and heart-wrenching sides… when I was not prepared for them. Is this how Aza felt, daily, living on Earth, her lungs not being able to
karen
looks like i am the only one who didn't fall head-over-heels in love with this book. i did fall pretty hard for the cover, but it takes more than a pretty face to win me over…

it has many good qualities: story set in a wholly original fantasy world, families who are supportive and loving that seem realistic rather than idealized, strong imagery and situations that aren't just warmed-over versions of other YA books, romance where the two participants are apart for most of the book, so we don't hav
Darth J
Jan 15, 2016 marked it as could-not-finish

The main character's voice is grating on my nerves. So much that I couldn't even get more than 17 pages into this story. While this has a great cover and premise, I just can't keep reading this twaddle. Perhaps if there was a different POV or something I would be able to enjoy it, but it's like listening to a loud tween try too hard for attention.

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)

Before I start my review can we just all take a moment to appreciate this GORGEOUS cover? Yes? Yes.

Throughout this entire story I kept seeing certain images in my mind. Something like this

and this

I can’t have been the only one, right? I mean, cities in the sky, flying ships, air pirates, strange creatures in the clouds… Having said that though, this comparison is a compliment, not a reproach. By no means did I feel like Magonia was a copy of Castle in the Sky. Rather, me comparing a boo
Sana
DNF @ 35%

Ya know, this book actually has a very interesting premise (which is why I started to read it in the first place), but the immature writing and boring plot had me in tears because what the fuck, boredom hurts.

The writing is like listening to my ten year old sister whine about fucking everything in the world. It's so not professional and just plain generic.

"All I've got is { }."

"&,&,&."

"!!!!"

"I look at his back. Shoulders = too high."

"AZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZAAZA"
Kimi

Buddy read with my partner in crime Melsa Aka Melissa for all you other people.

Dnfed at 50% .

After suffering through a little over half way of this novel

This is like the first time I dnf a book, but guys it was just too much #sorrynotsorry

Meet our main character :

Aza Rambler … I mean Aza Ray :

The story is actually told in like a stream of consciousness type of writing, which sounds really good at first, but I personally think it wasn’t well done at all. Gahhh it was all over the place, the whol
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
More reviews like this one on The Social Potato.

If you're going to ask me to describe Magonia in one word, that word would be charming. It was elegant, magical and absolutely captivating.

Reading this book was like floating on a magical, puffy, pink cloud. While eating fairy dust and watching shooting stars. That's how alluring this book was. The only other time I've felt this way was while watching the Stardust movie!

While Aza wasn't physically strong, personality-wise, she was feisty and sassy,
destini mia
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-holy-grail
Aza, it says, the whistle. Aza, are you out there?

It's been a really long time since I've read something so unique. The premise, characters, setting . . . everything was just so refreshing.
Aza Ray, your life is so gigantically not what you thought it was going to be.

I was warned that Magonia might be a little weird but, strangely, I didn't find it so. Maybe because I was forewarned . . . or maybe I'm the weird one and felt right at home reading Magonia.
I'm something else. Something impor
Faye, la Patata
First off, this was such a beautiful novel, inside and out.
I like the sky. It's rational to me in a way that life isn't. Looking at it doesn't suck the way you might think it would, given all the dying-girl-stares-at-heaven possibilities. I don't think of the sky as any kind of heaven item. I think of it as a bunch of gases and faraway echoes of things that used to be on fire.

When I read the first few paragraphs of this book, I initially thought it was the diary of a self-absorbed girl who tho
Simona Bartolotta
"There was no way I could live another moment without Aza Ray knowing my name."

I was first drawn to this book because of the description that many, many people made of it. They usually used an adjective, one magic word which alone can move, create and destroy universes: 'gaimanian'. They said this book was like this: gaimanian.
Well.
Let's analyse this word.

gaiman = that Gaiman? The freakin' fabulous author of masterpieces like Stardust and American Gods? That Gaiman?
-ian = please take me I'm yo
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

It's been 3.5 weeks since I've read Magonia and since then I have bought this book for 2 people, recommended it to all of my friends, given away a copy as a Twitter giveaway and broken my book buying ban (that only managed to last 3 days) to buy myself the hardcover of the book. So I guess it's safe to say that I really really like this book.

They weren't kidding when they said that Maria Dahvana Headley's writing is comparable to the works of Neil Gaiman. Bec
Geo Marcovici
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Un război de purtat, o mare presiune pe umerii Azei, o alegere dificilă pe care o are de făcut. Personaje puternice și captivante, care își acceptă cu demnitate povara pe care o au de purtat, care dau dovadă de mult curaj și spirit de sacrificiu.
Se poate oare, să avem parte de o pace între două lumi atât de diferite? Magonia și Pământul nu au absolut nimic în comun. Și totuși, atât de multe!
4,5 *
Recenzia mea completă o găsiți aici:
Kristina Horner
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book was confusing.

I really enjoyed the first 100 pages or so, but as soon as "the thing" happens, it all sort of fell apart for me. Those first 100 pages were well paced, witty, fun - but then the story basically changes completely. It dragged, I had a hard time connecting with the new world and new characters, and I'm not sure it all came together for me by the end.

It felt like the book didn't have enough time to become what it was trying to be in the second part, and while the middle d
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Well, crap. Here I am again, black sheeping my way through a book that everyone and their mom seems to love. I think this is most likely a case of me being the problem as opposed to the book being the problem. I really just didn't get it.

There were good parts, don't get me wrong. There was even a time when I was really getting into it! Here's how it went down:
The Beginning

So, Aza has some mystery illness that no doctor can figure out and that causes her to have breathing issues. That has to be

Elise (On The Bookshelves)
Link To On The Bookshelves Blog Post

“Yes, I’m a reader. Kill me. I could tell you I was raised in the library and the books were my only friends, but I didn’t do that, did I? Because I have mercy. I’m neither a genius nor a kid destined to become a wizard. I’m just me. I read stuff. Books are not my only friends, but we’re friendly. So there.”

RATING: 2/5 STARS

Since she was born, Aza Ray has struggled to breathe, talk and even just live thanks to her mysterious lung disease. One day she spots a s
Lindsay Cummings
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, beautifully written book. MAGONIA is unlike anything else. Wholly original, heartbreaking, exciting and intense, MAGONIA is one of the coolest books I've read in years.

The story begins with Aza Ray, a girl who, much like Hazel from THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, struggles to breathe. But Aza doesn't have cancer. She has an incredibly rare disease, and doctors are baffled by her. Aza doesn't ever feel quite right in the world--and things fast-forward, when she sees a real ship, sailing
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Aza Ray Boyle can't breathe. It seems like she has always been sick- inexplicably short of breath and weak.

This continuous illness has made her always feel different from the people around her. But, perhaps, there are stranger and more exotic reasons why she is different. Ones that Aza can't even imagine...

Jason is Aza's dearest friend. They are so close that they almost speak their own language.

He realizes there is more to Aza than meets the eye. How will Jason handle it when he discovers the s
Neil (or bleed)
I am lost of words to describe how magical, astonishing, beautiful and original this book was. I mean, I can say Magonia is beautiful but it is more than that. It is like all my favorite things are in one place and I am glued to the ground, seeing and feeling them. It's like I am releasing bright lights that made me glowing.

The first time I saw that cover, I knew in myself that a great reading experience is coming on my way. And I wasn't wrong. Magonia may not be a perfect book but it took me to
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Review on its way. Whenever I start writing it, though. Which sadly, I wouldn't hold my breathe.
Check out Kimi's review. She says everything I'm thinking a lot more eloquently :D

Post-reading:
Dude my body was so not ready for the crap-fest. I don't even know what to say. Just one thing. How can we kill trees to print this? Seriously, this is not a book I'd compromise my air supply for. Nuh-uh.

Pre-reading:

Buddyread with my dear Damon thief, Kimanna, that's Kimi to all you other people!
molly

This book was okay.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Oh, Magonia, you strange, strange book, it’s going to take me months to decipher you.

Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley has so many things going for it, I’m not even sure where to begin. It’s a book that simply refuses to be compared or classified; even determining its genre is proving to be impossible. It’s a delightful combination of science fiction, fantasy, and even dystopia, and it easily balances the three, never allowing one to overtake the others.

Headley brings us a previously unexplored
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
4.5 ish
Wow. A beautifully crafted, completely unique, and utterly unforgettable story. Adding to my ever growing list of video reviews that need to be done!
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

"You hold no horrors for me."

I'm not guna lie....this book is weird. Beyond weird. And it is what I would normally say was 'too out there, for me.' But, once again, a little birdie told me how amazing it was and hell, here I am again adding another favorite to my list. I think it's safe to say that no amount of weirdness could have quelled my instant, butterfly-induced reaction to Jason and Aza's heartbreaking friendship from the very beginning of this story. It was instantaneous, the visceral
Taylor Knight
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs

I was so excited to read this book. The concept sounded so good and I knew I needed this book in my life. I was so excited and pumped, I didn't stop to think that I might not like this book as much as I thought I would. I should have calmed down before starting this book because after 50 pages, I felt like I would drown in my disappointment.

Right away, the tone of this book caught me off guard. The main character was so snarky and I was not expecting that. At first, I was really on board with A
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review.

DNF'd at 47%.. Highly creative with magical flying ships and bird people who sing their way through chores, I thought Magonia had all the bare bones for a great novel, but I just didn't care about the characters as I would have liked. They would ramble way too much to the point where my eyes would glaze over. I'm guessing this is supposed to be relevant but I just grew bored with their rambles. Not only doe
Giovanna
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

4.25 (I've just discovered that there's a sequel, so now that open ending makes sense. Hopefully.)

“Life and death aren’t as different from each other as I thought they were. This isn’t like walking into a new country. This is like walking into a new room in the same house. This is like sharing a hallway and the same row of framed family pictures, but there’s a glass wall between.”

Well, this one was weird. I guess it's why it was blurbed by Neil Gaiman. Magonia does have the feeling that some of
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. Dude, I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I picked up Maria Dahvana Headley's "Magonia". Suffice to say, I'm quite impressed by it. I really didn't expect it to be this emotionally invested, intense, and imaginative read. Totally ended up enjoying the journey it took me on and it's one of those stories that will stick out in my mind for a long time to come. I mean, the closest of a comparison that I can make of "Magonia" to anything I've seen or read ...more
Kathe L
4,5 stars, maybe?

description

This is so hard to write. You know those days when you just read? I read, easily, 4 hours straight plus all the other hours that I wasn't eating today. Because this book, oh man. This book demands your full attention and your full time. It's a book that starts in an unpredictable way and turns your world upside down.

"In some on the old stories (...), the patterns of the stars form letters. Celestial alphabets. Writing that gets rewritten as the earth moves. If you look at the s
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
  • Crimson Bound
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • The Prom Goer's Interstellar Excursion
  • Velvet Undercover
  • The Weight of Feathers
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
  • Beastkeeper
  • The Unquiet
  • Soulprint
  • Willful Machines
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • The Cage (The Cage, #1)
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)
  • Valiant
Maria Dahvana Headley is the New York Times-bestselling author of, most recently, THE MERE WIFE (out July 17, 2018 from MCD/FSG). Upcoming in 2019 is a new translation of BEOWULF, also from FSG. As well, she is the author of the young adult skyship novels MAGONIA and AERIE from HarperCollins, the dark fantasy/alt-history novel QUEEN OF KINGS, the internationally bestselling memoir THE YEAR OF YES, ...more

Magonia (2 books)
  • Aerie (Magonia, #2)
“I read stuff. Books are not my only friends, but we’re friendly. So there.” 84 likes
“If you look at the sky that way, it’s this massive shifting poem, or maybe a letter, first written by one author, and then, when the earth moves, annotated by another. So I stare and stare until, one day, I can read it.” 70 likes