Start by marking “Summerfall (Winterspell, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Summerfall (Winterspell, #0.5)

Summerfall

(Winterspell 0.5)

In this captivating novella, prequel to the upcoming Winterspell, Claire Legrand weaves a story of magic, political intrigue, and forbidden love.

Rinka is a faery, passionate and powerful, determined to maintain the tenuous peace between faeries and humans.

Alban Somerhart is a human, a reluctant king trapped in an arranged marriage, desperate to prevent war.

Their love could
Published August 26th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Summerfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summerfall

Start your review of Summerfall (Winterspell, #0.5)
Claire Legrand
Mar 13, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Quite possibly the most fun I've ever had writing a book . . . even though not a lot of fun things happen to these poor characters. I mean, yeah, they go to parties and they use magic and they wear fabulous clothes, and there is banter, and they Fight For Peace And What's Right And True . . . and then there is the kissing. Ohhh yes, the kissing.

But look past the parties and the scandalous gowns and the kissing and you'll find betrayal, violence, prejudice, and nefarious plots. Whispering
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Faeries, the stories said, must always keep moving, must always keep changing, just like the southern seas and their high, hot winds.

Okay... wow! Summerfall blew me away! I think I even liked it a bit more than Winterspell, which is saying a lot because that book is one of my top favorites. Not only did I adore Claire Legrand's amazingly gorgeous writing, she totally sucked me once again into the kingdom of Cane's world of intrigue at court, enthralling magic and power, the forbidden but
Isa Lavinia

Umm... Not the best prequel.
I don't know if it's as poor as I thought it to be, or if Legrand's writing has filled me with too high expectations.

I must say, though, that I disliked Rinka, the blatant Mary Sue, the talk of ~destiny~, and the New Adult vibe that permeated the whole novella - I honestly wasn't expecting something like this from Claire Legrand...

Let us hope Winterspell is better...
Pili
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first heard of this prequel novella for Winterspell, I preordered it as soon as it was up for it on Amazon. Then I got approved via Edelweiss for Winterspell and I kept wondering if I should read it or wait for the novella, and in the decided to wait. And it turns out it was the right choice!

Summerfall is a prequel and as such we are introduced to the world of Cane and to characters that won't probably be in Winterspell, but we are given and insight into the events that shaped what will
Myth
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
Heidi Schulz
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Oh, how I loved this beautiful and tragic story. I have already read WINTERSPELL, and am a big fan, so this was an added treat. I got a little thrill from meeting characters and thinking, "I know what's going to happen to you..." but I don't think it's necessary to read WINTERSPELL first. This novella both stands well on its own, and as a precursor to the events that will happen in the full novel.
The world in this tale, just like Claire's compelling words, is magical and dangerous. Just the way
Bobby
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This elegantly told, darkly beautiful tale whet my appetite for the soon-to-be-published Winterspell, while remaining a satisfying story on its own. This is a much more adult story than the author's previous works, and in addition to providing plenty of action and suspense, it explores the main character's inner life with great psychological depth.
Keri
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
In this prequel to Legrand's Winterspell series, we're told the story of two souls that would come together and change the course of their world as they know it.

Rinka is a faery and she hates the way her people think ill of humans. When the human King, Alban, calls for 7 representatives from the Faery land to come and discuss peace between their people, Rinka thinks it is her chance to prove that she is educated and brave enough to sit on the council once her dad steps down. She also believes
Libby Stephenson
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014, romance, ya
This is a review of both Summerfall and Winterspell, so if you saw my review over there, you will be bored. Originally posted at Also Nothing.

Series rating: 4.5
Recommended for: potential fantasy fans who are afraid of getting bored by world building
Summary: Winterspell is an adaptation of the Nutcracker story, mostly taking its cues from the ballet. Clara Stole is the daughter of the mayor of New York City at the close of the nineteenth century. Her father seriously needs to get his act together
Di
This novella had me hooked from the beginning. I am curious how this sets up Winterspell, which I will be reading next. If the storytelling is anything like this novella though, I know I'm going to love that too.
Kaka_shi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy,sad snippet. Even though it's a prequel. I reckon it's better read after reading winterspell.
sophie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rinka is a faery, but unlike her kind, humans intrigue her. She's been learning everything she can about them since she was a child. It seems like there is war on the horizon between the faeries and humans. Rinka wants to do whatever she can to prevent that.

When Rinka isn't selected — like she expected she would be because of her vast knowledge about humans — to be part of the delegation invited to King Alban's court to help keep the peace between the two kingdoms, she goes against her father's
Lillian
Summerfall by Claire Legrand is the prequel novella to this fall's highly anticipated Winterspell and tells the story of King Alban and Countess Rinka. Rinka, fascinated with humans, disobeys her father and follows a group of Elves to Erastadt, the high king's palace. Rinka hopes that while there she will learn more about the humans and build a bridge between their races. Alban Somerhart is the reluctant king, taking over after his father died. Alban, like Rinka, is fascinated with the Elves and ...more
Carina Olsen
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally had the time to read this beauty. And I couldn't stop reading until I had finished it all. Also, it was longer than I had hoped for. Which makes me happy. But at the same time, it was also a whole lot meaner and more heartbreaking than I had thought it would be. Sobs. But also so good. I really loved it.

I read Winterspell a few months back, and I loved it to pieces. And ever since then I have wanted to read Summerfall, which is a prequel novella to Winterspell. Though I was also
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I've been looking for a fantasy to fill my void since reading the most recent Throne of Glass book, and I think I've found it!
Many times I wait until after I've read the first book in a series to read the prequel. But this prequel is really quite a story unto itself. And it gives some great background for the first book. This novella shapes the world of Winterspell, the world of Cane. It sets in motion the events that shape the world Legrand builds for us when we're introduced to Clara.
I can say
Kate Woods
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing better than a prequel that actually serves a purpose and retains the author's quality of writing. Too often I find that the sole reason a prequel exists was to give characters the reader already knows well some more face time. That's what series and sequels are for. A prequel should give a reader information they previously did not have, or did not understand. It should feature more of the minor characters, or MC's ancestors etc., giving us something that elucidates things we ...more
Crystal
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrible
It was interesting and I read Winterspell afterwards. Not quite sure I was ok with the whole sleeping around thing (seemed to be a big theme, particularly with the fairies, in this world, if a fairy likes someone, they just sleep with them) and while I respect peoples choices, that in no way means that I condone what they chose to do, and in this book series there was aspects on both the heterosexual side and homosexual side that I did not enjoy (I don't condone sleeping around regardless of the ...more
Tiffany (About to Read)
I really wish I had read “Summerfall” before I picked up Winterspell. It’s not so much that there is any life-changing information in “Summerfall,” but there was a lot of history that likely would’ve affected my opinion of some of the characters in Winterspell.

Now we heard all about Anise’s parents in Winterspell, so I knew what happened in “Summerfall” before I read it. Being introduced to Anise’s and Nicholas’ ancestors was pretty insightful, though, as was the state of Cane during Alban’s
Andrea
I've had Winterspell on my TBR for a while and when I realized there was a prequel novella, I knew I had to read it first. . . And I wish I hadn't. The characters were blah and I found that I didn't care about the story or what was happening.

This may be a me-thing because I have trouble getting into novellas. There's not enough story for me or character development for me to care what happens to these characters. Maybe if I had read Winterspell first I would have enjoyed Summerfall, but that's
Lucia
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I was excited about Winterspell, so when I saw this novella I decided to read it first. I'm glad I did because now I won't have to waste my time with another bad book.

What struck me is how poorly it was written, it would've been ok for a children's book, but not for anyone over 12, and the plot suggested it was meant for a reader older than that.
The story was one cliché after another and the characters were all made of cardboard, except maybe the protagonist who was just stupid. They all seemed
Hannah Whetstone
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So this novella was really good. And it didn't feel like a novella, it felt like a full complete story. And it has made me want to read Winterspell even more.
The characters in this book made some poor decisions and paid for them. It was heartbreaking. I want to know what's gonna happen to Cane now that ***spoiler*** the king is dead. The only heir that he has is the baby Rinka had. I want to know what happens!!!! I wonder what Anise will be like when she gets older?
Quina (A Pretty Story)
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this prequel. Even though I knew Rinka and the King's fate, I still found myself shocked and saddened by what was happening to them. I love their passion toward each other and am sorry it ended the way it did. Their story was destined to be ill-fated.

I also just want to say I'm glad I read this after Winterspell. I feel if I did the opposite, I may have been a little confused.
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous introduction into the world of "Winterspell". I loved every moment of this novella. Of course, I knew that it would end tragically to set the scene for the next book, but I still had that tiny spark of hope. Until it was quashed rather abruptly. But now I'm more excited than ever for "Winterspell"!
Ally
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are we sure this is just a novella? Because it felt like a full-length novel to me, so many things happened but it never felt rushed I couldn't stopped reading and THAT epilogue left me speechless, definitely 5 stars I loved everything about it the characters the romance the plot the world everything
Lynndell
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Summerfall by Claire Legrand is a wonderfully written fantasy and I enjoyed every moment of reading it! What a fantastically spun love story! I am so excited to read Winterspell; I am happy I purchased this novella for the background information that builds up to the Winterspell story.
Jessie H.
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Holy Political Intrigue, Batman! I really enjoyed reading this and it has made me even more excited to start Winterspell. I just want to know what happens!

If the writing in the novella is any indication of how Winterspell is going to be, I can see it becoming a favorite!
Crystal | decorating.reader
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome novella!!! I really can't wait to read Winterspell now.
Aydrea
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting little background story, can't wait for Winterspell, it sounds so good!
Andrea
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
4.5

that was really good...love, action, death, happiness, sadness, laughter, bastards, assassins, politics, war ALL IN JUST 100 PAGES. PERFECT EXECUTION
Emma
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved everything but the romance. This novella has made me want Winterspell even more!
Claire Legrand used to be a musician until she realized she couldn't stop thinking about the stories in her head. A native Texan, she is now a writer and librarian living in central New Jersey.

Her first novel is THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, one of the New York Public Library's 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing in 2012. She is also the author of THE YEAR OF SHADOWS, a ghost story for

Winterspell (1 books)
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)