Start by marking “Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2

Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2

(Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard #2)

Inside the June Alley Inn, located in the western mouse city of Barkstone, mice gather to tell tales, each trying to outdo the other. A competition, of sorts, begins. The rules: Every story must contain one truth, one lie, and have never been told in that tavern before. With the winner getting his bar tab cleared, fantastic stories are spun throughout the evening! Mouse Gu ...more
Published January 10th 2014 by Titan Books Ltd (first published December 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Guard

Quentin Wallace
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this volume as much as Volume 2. I love seeing the different variety in art styles, and the range was wide here as almost every story had a totally different look and feel to it. Im not as much for the rhyming stories, but I know lovers of poetry would probably appreciate them more. Some of the stories are even silent, but the pictures tell the story without words. Overall, if you liked the first volume you'll like the second.
Kaitlin
This is the second volume of Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard that I have read and enjoyed. It's a collection or anthology of different authors and illustrators coming together to each tell their own fable or story in the Mouse Guard world (originally created by David Petersen). The collection of the first volume was excellent, with some truly stunning illustrations and whilst the stories are all fairly simplistic, they are all very beautiful in their own unique ways.

I had a couple of really st
47Time
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-fantasy
The new season brings a new edition to June the Innkeeper's contest. Several mice with outstanding tabs at the inn are invited to tell a story in hopes of impressing June enough to forgo their tab. The contest is popular enough that some contestants don't even care about winning, only to be entertained and to please others with their tales of heroes, unlikely alliances, love, war, superstition, coming of age, exploration and even song.
Kerry
This was only all right.

It's an anthology of a bunch of short stories, but most of them are SO short that I don't have time to care. I did like the art on the one that Willingham did. And I liked best the one that won the story-telling contest, the dialogue-less one about the mermouse. And I do like the interstitial art, by the actual Mouse Guard guy.

I want more Mouse Guard! Actual Mouse Guards, guarding things! Stop anthologizing and get with the guarding. Bring on Spring! Sheesh.
Megan
Well, I'm not sure what I thought I would get from this volume, considering how lukewarm I was about the first Legends book. This repeated the exact same scenario, this time with stories that felt even less fleshed out. Still love Mouse Guard...just going to stick to the main works in the series now.
Fantasy  Svet
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prvá časť legiend bola viac-menej tajomná, okázalo expresívna a vážna. Len sem-tam sa stalo, že vybraní umelci vniesli do svojho rozprávania nejaký ten úsmevný šelest, komický prvok alebo jemnú satiru. Knihe to ale neublížilo, práve naopak, svojím tajomným nádychom zaujala čitateľov natoľko, až sa do nej úplne ponorili. Stalo sa, že medzi tými skvostami sa našli stránky, ktoré tak celkom nezapadli do celku, ale podobne, ako to je aj v tomto druhom prípade, i tam stále platí, že každý z nás má rá ...more
Sylvester
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Wonderful artwork and interesting story-telling combined. And how amazing to see the style of each artist in turn. A treat in every way - I usually enjoy stories in which small animals take on heroic roles, and this is another example of that. I recommend!
Misha
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brave little mice for the win :)
Kirsten
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely -- I liked this even better than the first Legends of the Guard collection. Now I just want to know when Petersen will come out with another REAL Mouse Guard story!
Matthew Hunter
Volume 2 in the Legends of the Guard series holds up in comparison to Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1. I loved Bill Willingham's "The Veteran", but Bill fell just a touch short of my (and Petersen's) favorite - Christian Slade's "Love of the Sea". The love story between a sailor and mermouse proved to be immensely popular with Amanda and the kids as well.

The anthology-with-guest-authors format has made reading the "Legends" series fun for our family. We'll give Volume 3 a look as well.
Richard
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the last collection! There were quite a few standouts in this one and pretty much every one was fun to read. A shout out in particular to the seaside love story, the legend of the four brothers, and the story of the young Guard and the cartographer (this one is gorgeous), but truly it was a solid collection overall.
Artnoose McMoose
This is the second year in a row that the mouse innkeeper holds a contest to see which of her regular customers can clear their annual tab by telling her the best story.

The stories are written and illustrated by people other than Petersen, so the styles vary widely, but I liked all of them this time around.
Anie
Another wonderful anthology collection from the world of Mouse Guard. Again, this is the type of anthology that's actually wonderful (as opposed to being a money-making ploy). Good writing and pacing from quite a few authors, with Petersen's lovely interludes featuring June and a plethora of engaging mice.
Oda
Sweet, but not as satisfying as the real deal. Only half of the stories are any good at all.

It's pretty rich to produce one prequel (an another on the way), four anthologies (counting the FCBD collection), a RPG and to have a movie in the works when you're only two books into the MAIN STORY. Who are you really, David Petersen - George R.R. Martin? IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS. GET ON WITH IT.
Lorena Martínez
Como siempre un excelente trabajo de ilustración por parte de todos los participantes. Así como June, me fue difícil seleccionar a mi favorito.

Lo recomiendo mucho tanto por los dibujos como por las historias. Ahora me encuentro esperando ahorrar lo suficiente para comprarme el volumen 3.
Jakub Kvíz
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I druhy dil Legend serviruje presne to, co zname z minula - zhruba tucet kratkych pribehu ze sveta Mouse Guard. Nektere vynikaji kresbou, jine pribehem a dohromady tvori paradni mix, ktery vam zase o neco vic priblizi tenhle propracovanej svet.
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I enjoyed this collection better than the first but legends are great in general!
Justin
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the little short stories between all the different artists.
Bracicot
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous and gentle.
Alex
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING!!!
Jeb
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Improves on the original volume of other artists putting their touch on the world of Mouse Guard. Some really amazing art within.
Aaron Arellano
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't ever get enough of this world. Something enchanting about animals being the catalysts of stories.
Kest Schwartzman
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's an anthology; some stories are great, some are well illustrated, some are neither, but all are quick.
Erik
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Legends spinoff is pleasant enough, but inessential compared to the core Mouse Guard series.
Kryštof
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a contest and i'm glad I did, because I would probably never bought this myself and that would be a shame, because it's amazing.
Elizabeth
Not quite as strong as the first collection.
Karyn Mitchell
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mouse guard is just too cute! I seriously love seeing the different artist ake on the mouse guard art but I love the original way too much!
Ben Rowe
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just started getting some advance copies of books and Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard Volume 2 is one of the first books I have had the privilege to get to read and talk about for free before its release in a few weeks.

Mouse Guard has been on my radar for a while, when I have seen samples of previous books or flicked through copies in book shops I have always been drawn to the beautiful images and when this combined with the positive word of mouth I heard about the series I really have
Aaron
Better than the first; still underwhelming.

It's hard to mark up the demands for a creator-curated anthology such as this. And yet, with LEGENDS OF THE GUARD, VOL. 2, it is perhaps fairest to say that the breadth of stories constituting it's substance, though varied and occasionally dynamic, is its own curse.

The previous volume's largest detriment was a lack of coherence. This particular volume appears to have resolved the dilemma of coherence but introduced the problem of continuity, or restles
Line Blue
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente comic encuentro que aporta a la mitología de Mouse Guard
  • Jim Curious: A Voyage to the Heart of the Sea in 3-D Vision
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 3: A Jester's Tale (The Stuff of Legend, #3)
  • The Arctic Marauder
  • Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 2: Hooked
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Wild's End, Vol. 1: First Light
  • Ragnarok, Volume 1: Last God Standing
  • The Emerald City of Oz
  • Siegfried (Siegfried, #1)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 21: The Mother of Mountains (Usagi Yojimbo, #21)
  • The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice
  • Maddy Kettle: The Adventure of the Thimblewitch
  • Pathfinder Volume 1: Dark Waters Rising
  • Sleepless Knight (Adventures in Cartooning picturebook, #1)
Note: There are more than one David Petersen on GR's database. For catch-all profile, see here (dissambiguated via 7 spaces).

David Petersen was born in 1977. His artistic career soon followed. A steady diet of cartoons, comics, and tree climbing fed his imagination and is what still inspires his work today. David won the 2007 Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2008, David won the E

Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard (3 books)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 3