Start by marking “Underground (Greywalker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Underground (Greywalker, #3)

Underground (Greywalker #3)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  5,543 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
Harper Blaine was your average small-time P.I. until she died for two minutes. Now Harper is a Greywalker -- walking the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. And she's discovering that her new abilities are landing her all sorts of "strange" cases.

Pioneer Square's homeless are turning up dead and mutilated, and zombies have been seen roaming the und
Published August 5th 2008 by Roc Hardcover (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Angie
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, this series continues to entertain me much more than I initially expected it to. I was so pleased to get a copy of Underground for my birthday and I immediately dived right in. It picks up shortly after the events of Poltergeist and Harper is still dealing both physically and emotionally with the fallout from her ghost busting stint. Things with tall, blond, and lanky Will are less than stellar and distraction comes in the form of Harper's mysterious friend Quinton who shows up on her doo ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
I always expect...and want these books to be better than they are. I forgot, in the elapsed time between the last one I read and this one exactly why I hadn't picked it up sooner.

I like good urban fantasy, and like many I try most new series hoping for "good-reads" :). These don't stink. I read the first 2 and then set the series aside...because they just aren't that good. They are a good idea, and they at times begin to draw me in, but then always lose me.

This one started out slowly but finally
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
I just finished "Underground". This is Kat Richardson's third novel of her 'Greywalker' series and I love it! Her heroine reminds me a bit of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake...without the sexcapades...or the guilt...or the constant killing. Ok, maybe not Anita Blake. Richardson's heroine is a strong character who wrestles with her choices while always trying to do the right thing...even when it's not the most comfortable thing.

Harper died...for about two minutes. When she came 'back', she came
Meep
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history/ghost tour fans
Third in the series. The mystery/plot seems to move along a little faster in this and we finally get to learn more of Quinton, but there's still that blandness holding it back.

There's a rich patina of history and in the unlikely event I find myself in Seattle I'd love to take that ghost tour underground. The concept of raising the street level was fascinating to me, and having the hidden level below. Meeting the 'undergrounders' aka tramps held huge potential for characterisation.

Unfortunately t
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson. The 4th book, Vanished, had already been released and the 5th book, Labyrinth, is due out August 2010. There are six books under contract for this series last that I heard. I enjoyed this book and thought it was a good addition to the series. I listened to this on audio book. The audio book was fairly well done, sometimes the narrator has trouble distinguishing the different male voices, but other than that it was easy to listen ...more
Angela
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's official: Underground, Book 3 of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, is ten pounds of fun in a five pound jar. And I say that not just because the 'ship I was hoping for in this series sets sail as of this installment, either.

Now, zombies are the up-and-coming thing in urban fantasy these days, it seems. So I'm seeing more and more established series spend at least a little time doing a zombie plot, and this book is the Greywalker series' turn. That said, it's less of a zombie plot than you
Jason
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
4 Stars

Underground by Kat Richardson is a fantastic continuation of our heroine Harper. This is a fast and somewhat short story that works by never being boring. I loved the further development of our heorine and her interactions with the Grey. Underground is a story that centers on a native American urban legend creature.

I really like this series.
Hobart
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---

So Harper's pal/computer tech/security expert, Quinton, comes to her for a favor. Several homeless people in the area have gone missing, and some have shown up that look, well, eaten. By something large. Quinton would like Harper to look into it, see if there's something that's more up her particular alley than what the police are looking/equipped for.

Obviously, yes, or it'd be a very short -- and incredibly dull -- book.

Harper and Quinton
Phogbound
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
My bad! I'm usually so anal about reading a series in order that it is very rare for me to read books out of order. Since they weren't numbered, I read this, the third book, second. But I don't regret it one little bit. One of the things I love about these books is their sense of feel for Seattle, its history and the effects of the Native American culture there. This story is centered on the Underground and, while the "real world" Underground is only available for a few guided tours, the author ...more
Vickie
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite series, especially in the urban fantasy genre. I loved learning more about Quinton, a character the reader meets in the first book of the series and gets to know a little bit about to be supremely intrigued (I know I was). I was pleased to see a lot more of Quinton this time around and a lot less of Will, the boyfriend in book one and two.
Richardson uses folklore to create the monster that is attacking Seattle's homeless and what a monster it is. Freaked me right the
Topher
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modernfantasy
This is one of those series that I enjoy - but, even among the brain candy I typically read, this is particularly cotton candy. I have a lot of trouble remembering details from previous books - it's only as the author refers back to specific things that I get a case of deja vu.

Am I reading too many similar things? Maybe. I don't have trouble with Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, etc, though. There's about 4 series that my brain seems to insist is one series, all with the same protagonist.

I'm not
Meagan
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series, vampires
The third book in Kat Richardson's Greywalker series has got to be my favorite to date. It seems to be heading in one direction at the beginning, swerves a bit in the middle, and blows up with some serious action and intrigue at the end. Without giving too much away, I can say that the story revolves around the walking dead, mythical Native American figures, the dark history of Seattle and its underground, and of course Harper Blaine's ghosts. Above all, my favorite aspect of the story was the r ...more
Janet Piele
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Three years ago. "Underground" was the book that introduced me to this author, Kat Richardson. I LOVED IT and upon finishing it, I bought everything else I could find by her. I devoured her books.
Now I'm reading them in order and following the store arc in sequence.
I'm having the best time! I remember exactly why I loved this book so much. It's fast paced and exciting. It's laugh-out-loud fun at times. It has the perfect blend of surprise, spooky, legend, adventure, mystery and intrigue. Don't
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
Underground is a solid third entry back into the grey. Harper is, as always, a protagonist I can relate to and is believable in her thoughts in actions. Although the plot was slow at times, it was still entertaining and usually kept my interest. I love Seattle as a setting, even if there are a few liberties (hey, I've never been there! :P), and will continue to pick up Ms. Richardson's books!

*slight spoilers*
I hope Will is gone for good (what a bore) and Quinton is as intriguing as he's always b
Nicola O.
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun with this book! I like the Greywalker series anyway, and the Seattle setting, but this one covered a ton of real-life Seattle places that I am really familiar with.

Instead of a regular review, I did a photo-essay and took some snapshots of some of the places that appear in this book. Check it out if it sounds interesting to you!

K.
I'm glad that Will is out and Quinton is in. I really enjoy this type of love interest - nerdy, smart and not at all pushy. The fact that he has a ~mysterious~ past is also thrown out the window in the interest of disclosure to main character so that she is not constantly left in the dark (well, any more than usual).
Irene
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the history of Seattle, its streets & the underground. The monster was a bit hard for me to take though it was very exciting action. It helped that it was a Native American monster. Her & Quinton? Too good to be true? We shall see!
Suzanne
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the worst urban fantasy, and not the best. It's alright.

The characters are fine, but the plot design and storytelling are sloppy. This pretty much holds true for the entire series.
Carol.
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Best yet. Good mystery, nice character development, as well as her relationship with Quinton.
Bonnie Jean
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I actually enjoyed this story more than the second book. Involving a legendary Native American monster is definitely an different twist that I thought worked well (view spoiler), though I kinda wish that Fish had been the one to ultimately help with negotiating the ending rather than Ben, who really has no reason to be of much use in this situation. (vi ...more
Loryn Kelley
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Underground is the third book in the Greywalker Series. So far, it’s my favorite. I read the entire book in a few hours. Like the others, it’s a horror mystery. However, this book isn’t a paying case – it’s a favor. For some reason, I enjoyed it more than the others. Plus, the magic wasn’t as confusing. I followed the entire storyline. It was a great read!

Now, I’m going to talk about some of the story. As a case manager, Underground really hit home for me. I work with the homeless population s
Stacy
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book - urban fantasy set in Seattle. A young woman who has a sort of detective agency finds herself in a paranormal situation. While the first book was a good set-up, and the second one delivers an interesting plot twist, a new set of problems and situations in itself, this third one... really starts to build the character arcs, the story..And I was barely prevented from going out and trying to find the places Kat mentions.

I know a FEW of them are real - but I don't know which I can really
Tonya Johansson
My least favorite of the three But still worth the read
Nicoletta
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5-4
Strega
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Great mix of paranormal and Native
Kathy Davie
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Third in the Greywalker urban fantasy series about a private investigator, Harper Blaine, who can enter a fold of the universe that infringes between the normal and the paranormal.

My Take
An interesting exploration of homeless and Northwest Indian cultures combined with a tour of the old underground of Seattle. Richardson does state that she took liberties with Seattle's sunken city but if only one quarter of it is accurate...wow! Be sure to take the tour if you ever get out to Seattle. It soun
Robin
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here is the third Greywalker mystery featuring Harper Blaine—a former ballerina turned private detective who, since a near-death experience two books ago, can see, move, and act inside the realm between the natural and the supernatural, called the Grey. Harper has already added experience with vampires, revenants, and poltergeists to her curriculum vitae. In this third outing, she gets to add zombies and a native American monster named Sisiutl.

She loses a boyfriend who can't handle the truth ab
Renae (Romantic Parvenu)
When I first heard about the Greywalker series, I was told that the first few books start off shaky and uncertain, but by the third book, Richardson hits her stride. So I started reading about Harper Blaine’s paranormal investigations with lowered expectations and the intent to stick things out—no matter how bad they got—until at least book three. And that’s what I did, and I am so glad. The series was decent up until this point, but with Underground, it’s like someone flipped a switch. Every ar ...more
Colleen
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Book 3 in Richardson's Greywalker series (4 books released to date) -- Harper Blaine is a Seattle P.I. solving paranormal cases after a near death experience allows her to cross into The Grey:
"the realm of ghosts, vampires, witches, and magic that exists between our world and the next".

The Greywalker series reads much like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but is more of a companion piece, than a copy. Richardson's world is less fantastical and more gritty, because unlike Harry Dresden, she is not a
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Phantasm (Zoe Martinique, #3)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • The Path of Razors (Vampire Babylon, #5)
  • Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
Bestselling author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Former theater brat, singer, dancer, gemology and jewelry course-writer, liveaboard boater, and editor. Currently lives in the wilds of far-western Washington with her husband and dogs.
More about Kat Richardson

Greywalker (9 books)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Downpour (Greywalker, #6)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Revenant (Greywalker, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)