Start by marking “The Simoqin Prophecies (GameWorld Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Simoqin Prophecies (GameWorld Trilogy, #1)

The Simoqin Prophecies (GameWorld Trilogy #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,022 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Written with consummate ease and brimming with wit and allusion, it is at once classic sff and subtle spoof, featuring scantily clad centauresses, flying carpets, pink trolls, and homicidal rabbits. Monty Python meets the Ramayana, Alice in Wonderland meets The Lord of the Rings and Robin Hood meets The Arabian Nights in this novel—a breathtaking ride through a world peopl ...more
Published August 29th 2012 by Jabberwocky Literary Agency, Inc. (first published January 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Simoqin Prophecies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simoqin Prophecies

Grace
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into this book because it starts out slow, and I'm not used to Hindu critter names. It wasn't too long that I was completely absorbed into the book.

I have to admit, I really liked Basu's writing style. It was fun, hilarious, quirky, and epic. As I read through all of the mini adventures the characters went on, I was amazed and drawn in. While much of the time the quests weren't detailed, it was much easier to read that way. Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of books
Uday Kanth
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine this -

A desert that's called Al-Ugobi.
A seagull whose name is Irik Seagull.
A group of spell-casters calling themselves Hex-Men!

Now none of the above are integral to this story but why I mentioned them here first is probably because this inventive play on words is my major take-away from this book. Samit Basu is just superb at these things. There are more interesting references throughout the book and I'm terribly tempted to list them all out for you but that would take out most of the
Jwala
Aug 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like fantasy fiction unlike the vast majority of people who think that it's a disreputable form of literature and consider it only for kids.
I liked the book. It brims over with allusions-Ramayana, Mahabharatha, Greek mythology, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, comic books, Arabian Nights etc etc.
The storyline, of course, is fantasy staple diet. There is a Quest, and a Quest needs a Hero, who must go forth with a band of loyal warriors and have many adventures, and Save the World. But Simoqin
Maninee
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maninee by: shinjan pramanik
Finally, an Indian author who writes science fiction/fantasy. And what a novel. With references from various books, ranging from Indian epics like the Ramayan and the Mahabharata to fantasy books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Eragon to Greek mythology-this book has it all.

The writing is fluid, easy to read and laced with humor. The plot has many central characters, many threads and ever so many leads, and each one is better than the last. Generally speaking, it follows the traditional
Soumya
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think of a story, Timas. It can be anything you like. Don't think too much, now.
Protagonists can be regular too. Guy and female best friend? Perfect, Timas. Let's put in a competing alpha male, yes?
And keep it in an Indian mythological setting - how novel! While you're at it, Timas, throw in a lot of references to appear clever.
Now start writing, Timas (your name isn't Timas, is it?). Keep the beginning intriguing. How? A rambling confused Creator who disappears for the rest of the time? Soun
Gangambika
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had given up on contemporary Indian authors, but Samit Basu gives me hope. Surprisingly well written, the book is a parody of your everyday fantasy. With a Dark Lord who's not so dark, a Robin Hood doubling as Lord Rama and princes falling in love with Rakshases, while damsels give knights a run for their money, this book hilariously kills all the stereotypes that your typical Hero story propounds while weaving a very interesting tale of an oncoming war between the forces of Good and Evil (or ...more
Sulakshana
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very underrated author.. Lucky for me i picked up this book randomly from the library. Hilarious spoofs on everyone from Aladdin to Lord of the Rings to Robin hood and a brilliant story. Must read for a good laugh and a great story !
Ddruid
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had heard some vague stuff about Samit Basu’s Gameworld Trilogy a long time ago. Unfortunately, it got pushed to the deep recesses of my mind until one day, as Fate would have it, I chanced upon a copy of The Simoqin Prophecies. Then I thought, ‘Ah, what the heck...’ Secretly I was hoping that the book would restore my hope for the future of modern Indian fantasy fiction.

Guess what. It did.

I am a fan of Basu’s style of writing. His voice is refreshing, quirky, hilarious and at times will leave
Tathagata Kandar
Goosebumps...

I have been a fantasy fiction junkie for the better part of a decade now but this style of writing is totally new to me and extremely refreshing. Some die-hard fantasy-lovers have argued that the books are comedy and so does not get a place in the Great and Exalted Hall of Epic Fantasies - however, I would say that the author has managed to walk this tight-rope marvelously well. The comedy does not hinder the story, instead it enriches it.

The plot of the book is about the rise of th
Girish Deveshwar
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The GameWorld trilogy was recommended to me as a very funny, epic, brilliant sci-fi fantasy series. The first book of the series ticks all the boxes as listed above.
It stays interesting and good, though never reaching to the 'great' standards. Having read two books, and being halfway through the third one, I can also safely say that this first book is the funny one, while keeping good balance with intrigue and plot. The first 20% of the book is a chore though.
The characters are surprisingly we
Johny
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most difficult fantasy books to get into. With no name or cult references, no maps and absolutely weird ass character names (and places). Also, the writer fails to provide a detailed description of each creature which again makes it hard to imagine and differentiate from other creatures.
Once you get past the first 50 pages (which will require some motivation) you will start enjoying this book up to the last ten. The writer tried to come up with some out of the world ending bu
Manikanta Avinash
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Never thought an Indian writer could write such a detailed fantasy book. A very good book with so many creatures and a decent story that you will never get bored. The first few chapters were a difficult to pass with so many characters getting introduced but after 60-100 pages, the book is un-putdownable.

Also the ending was a very good surprise. I am not sure how the lead characters are going to become in the second book. ****spoiler this line***** It looked like Heroes are going to become villi
Pranjali
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the wittiest books I have read recently! It was just too full of small little details that would bring a smile to my face! If you're looking for a serious/intellectual book, then stay away. But if you're looking to have fun and can appreciate a little weird and sometimes childish imagination, I'll say this is the book for you. I have to agree, I had to brave through the first chapter... it just completely took me by surprise, but in the end it was a fabulous read!
Devesh Yamparala
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: (read) 4.5

One of the most entertaining books I've read.

I found it very interesting and particularly cleverly written. But, in order to get to the interesting parts, you need *a lot* of patience while reading the first 60-70 pages.

This is just the first book of the trilogy and the ending just sets it up perfectly. I loved the ending of this book.
Harshita
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, indian-lit
Very pleasantly fun! I enjoyed all the literary allusions and especially the subversion of scenes from the Ramayana. Clearly the author had a lot of fun with the hero-villain-damsel tropes and so did I. And the world building was meaty enough to make me care and pick up the second and third books as well.
Sujata Ravi

Very very interesting fantasy fiction from an Indian author , at last . Samit Basu does a great job combining and reinventing many mythological characters from India's rich mythology and makes a thrilling , and easy to relate with tale . Look forward to reading the next two !
Bombadillo
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it 4, because it was really the first of its kind. Though Samit comfortably stole ideas from Pratchett, and a huge chunk of it is mostly parody, I think he still did a good job or at least he dared to.
Sharanya
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in 1 word- awesome
Nakul
I picked this up because I wanted to read Indian writing, and this was one of the top recommendations in my Twitter feed by someone. So, on a whim, I bought this. I didn't have very high expectations, but I had decided to go in with an open mind.

Boy was I wrong. The Simoqin Prophecies feels like a clunky book, with cliches and long drawn sentences that seem amateur. The excessive use of superlatives put me off. Every new character is either the greatest this or the most that or the highest ever
Kallol Datta
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fascinating world containing magical races and creatures from around the world mythologies and folk lore, like asurs, rakshases, jinn, vanars, chimaera, dwarves, dragon etc along with his original fantastic creations. Set in a world which has a Vertical Sea and Air Traffic for Magical Flying Carpets this is a story of great humour and characters. It gives a new look at the cliches of princes of prophecies, magic lamps etc. in a funny way. The twist at the end is very surprising and makes ...more
a hooded figure from your friendly neighbourhood dog park
The twist-y ending bumped it up to three stars. I might even check out the rest of the trilogy now. I still wish I hadn't come in expecting too much - because the comparisons with Pratchett and the praise of the characters hadn't prepared me for the silly jealousy and love triangle antics. There are many women, but they all have pretty background and forgettable roles. As to Maya, she needed more actual friends and fleshing out, not the love story.
Jake McCrary
When visiting friends in India, we went to a book store. They thought I'd enjoy this book and that I should read an Indian author while touring around India.

They were right. I did enjoy this book. This is sort of a spoof of the science fiction fantasy genre, pulling in influences from numerous other stories.

Fun, enjoyable, and light.
Harish
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goes about in a brisk, engaging pace.
Anit Singh
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great book that i read in my adolescence. It's like navratana mixture, has everything, maybe too much of some of the less tasty mixtures.
Disha
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.25

Let me begin this review by saying that I was practically frothing with excitement the day I got to know about the existence of this trilogy. Having been a fan of fantasy fiction for a long time, I was really beginning to feel the absence of Indian authors in the scene. It's a shame that a country such as ours--a land of vivid imaginations and epics--lacks the ability to encourage and promote authors in this genre.

Going into the book, I was a little skeptical about finding it
Ree
The cover of this book enticed me to pick it up from the library shelve, the advertisement on its back that I was dealing here with the Indian Terry Pratchett made me take it home and start reading it immediately. And while it was well written with great imagination and fun pop culture references, with diverse characters and a non-cliché fantasy plot, let me state, that - no offence - this is no Terry Pratchett . To make the comparison isn't fair to any author. Terry Pratchett is a master an ...more
Sriranjani Suresh
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A band of people train a Hero to defeat the ancient Dark Lord, Danh-Gem, who will rise again. According to a prophecy he had carved into a man's chest.

I'd read this book once before, some 13 years ago, and I didn't remember much of it, except a vague recollection of a few parts and that I enjoyed it. So I thought I'd reread to see what exactly had interested me.

The book is wonderful.

First of all, the few books I had read by Indian authors that were fantasy novels were not so good, so you can se
Qube
I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, having been told that it is one of the first fantasy books by an Indian author. It had been floating in my TBR list for at least a couple of years, but I never picked it up, primarily because it wasn't available in bookstores. Well, decided to buy the Kindle edition at a surprisingly high price for such an old book.

First off, if you haven't read this book, be aware that it is not a serious fantasy novel. It is a brand of humour that has been p
Natalie
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, parody, humour
I was so torn about rating this book! Ideally, I'd give it a 3.5 but I can only choose between 3 and 4, so I'm going with the former. This made an entertaining and hilarious read, something I expected because the author is Samit Basu, whose articles in the Sunday Telegraph magazines gave me life a lifetime ago. It is a pastiche of recognisable influences and allusions-- HP, LOTR, Ramayana, and apparently Terry Pratchett and Monty Python (I'm not familiar with either but reviews claim so). The pr ...more
Ilaria
Le due profezie di Simoqin stanno per avverarsi: il tiranno Dahn-Gem, signore dei demoni, tornerà a seminare il terrore nelle terre degli uomini, e un eroe arriverà per sconfiggerlo. Ma a volte gli outsider diventano eroi… Pubblicizzato come "Il primo fantasy indiano"; ma l’umorismo che permea questo romanzo è decisamente British, quindi il lettore occidentale si troverà perfettamente a suo agio, e parteciperà divertito al gioco cui l’autore lo invita: riconoscere quanti più riferimenti possibil ...more
Indian Readers: The Simoquin Prophecies 15 40 Jan 23, 2012 07:47AM
  • What Would Wally Do?
  • Corridor: A Graphic Novel
  • The Late Hector Kipling
  • Em and The Big Hoom
  • The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1)
  • A Scanner Darkly [Graphic Novel]
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • पैंसठ लाख की डकैती
  • The Grandmother's Tale and Selected Stories
Samit Basu is a writer of books, films and comics. His first novel, The Simoqin Prophecies, published by Penguin India in 2003, when Samit was 23, was the first book in the bestselling Gameworld Trilogy and marked the beginning of Indian English fantasy writing. The other books in the trilogy are The Manticore’s Secret and The Unwaba Revelations.

Samit’s other novels include a YA novel, Terror on t
More about Samit Basu

GameWorld Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Manticore's Secret (GameWorld Trilogy #2)
  • The Unwaba Revelations (GameWorld Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)