Start by marking “The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)

The Warrior Heir

(The Heir Chronicles #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  46,273 ratings  ·  3,086 reviews
An epic battle between good and evil...

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever befo
Published April 1st 2007 by Hyperion Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Heir, please sign up.
Teji Although some character or another always summarizes key events, the books are not stand-alone--each book builds on the others and depends on having…moreAlthough some character or another always summarizes key events, the books are not stand-alone--each book builds on the others and depends on having knowledge of events and characters that have come before.(less)

·  46,273 ratings  ·  3,086 reviews

Meredith
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Maureen
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was enjoyable but not the best. It's hard not to compare this to Chima's other series which is PHENOMENAL and more strictly fantasy than a mix of fantasy and urban fantasy.
I liked the characters but felt like they lacked depth and development. Jack did grow and change a bit, but not a ton in the area of character. It was also pretty predictable but I kind of expected that. I really enjoyed the overall plot - it was different than anything I've ever read and I loved that about it. Ultimatel
LastMonk
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy junkies, teens looking for an enjoyable book NOT loaded with sex and gore.
Recommended to LastMonk by: Actually, I think my mom just picked it up for me because it had
Shelves: new-favorites
The Heir Trilogy, which received great reviews, but somehow never entered the national consciousness, is Chima's first published work. Another story that really gets me excited with inventive concepts and clear imagery, these are really a great read.

The Warrior Heir is the first novel of the trio. We open on a very dramatic prologue, but let's skip that. Now, we meet Jack. (Hi, Jack!)Jack is a pretty nice guy. Good for Jack. But you know there's more than that. Turns out, our hero has some speci
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
(3.5 bumped up to a 4, because goodreads is lame and won't give us half stars.)
Christine Riccio
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
My review is more like 3.67 but I've rounded up because with perspective I have a lot of faith in where this series can go and I'm excited to pick up the second book - here's my full booktalk/ discussion : http://youtu.be/MOM6KgtUFbs?list=UUOk...
Anne
I'm re-reading this series, and while I enjoyed this book, I'm not sure how to describe it.

description

It's not that Chima isn't a good writer, it's just that it seems (to me) that the plot is better than the storytelling.
Does that make sense?

description

Ok. Well, I guess what I mean is that I'm more invested in seeing what happens in the end than I am in the characters. Sure, they're ok, but nothing about the way the dialogue is written reaches out and grabs me. It's a cool story, though!

Jack finds out that he's a wiz
Flannery
3.5 stars.

I liked this book despite reading lots of books that have the same basic plotline:

Hey! I'm a teenager. I've just found out that I'm a __________. People are after me! I better figure out to use my (insert cool weapon and/or power) so I can take down the (insert bad guys)!

So, really, the author must've done a pretty good job of writing a good story and a fast read or I would not like it as much as I did/do! I will read the next two in the trilogy.
Jenny
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audrey
This is an urban fantasy (YA) in which magic is kept secret but the various factions of magic users don’t work well together, with wizards generally bullying the rest. Sixteen-year-old Jack was supposed to be a Wizard but ended up a Warrior, which is pretty rare and starts causing problems for him.

There are a lot of tropes and cliches here, but I still liked it, if that makes sense. I loved the action scenes and was pulled in by the sense of danger. But sometimes the in-between, character-buildi
Rose
Initial reaction: "The Warrior Heir" was a solid YA fantasy read for me. I was engaged in the story from beginning to end, though I'll admit there were a few rough spots and transitions to it. It didn't slow my momentum through this book, though - I couldn't put it down because much of the rolling action and dynamic had me hooked.

Full review:

"The Warrior Heir" has the honor of being one of the first galleys I was approved for on NetGalley (It was back in 2011, around the time I joined), so it fe
Ariel
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun ride! It was an interesting world and there's nothing like a "normal boy isn't normal he's actually an important player in a battle that he must now face in a different world full of magic and warriors!" story line.

My biggest problem with the story was the writing: it felt very flat and one dimensional. At points it almost felt like I was reading middle grade - which is absolutely fine - but I would have liked something a bit more sophisticated and complex. I'm also not huge into urban fan
Molly Mortensen
Though it felt young, more middle grade than young adult, Warrior Heir was a quick, enjoyable read. Unfortunately, the main characters fell flat, and the ending felt too easy. I still plan to read the sequel, since there's a new main character.

The story was good, the premise, and the world building, but the main character needed a personality. A sense of humor would do wonders. All Jack does is react to things and dispite plenty of time spent establishing his every day life, we know nothing abo
♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
description

DNF at over 50% I'm sorry. I just can't seem to get into this book like the other series. I don't normally DNF anything, I try to get through it... But I was bored to tears. TO TEARS.
Becky
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
The Warrior Heir is a fantasy story which is set in the contemporary world. It is a hero’s journey tale full of adventure and mystery.

Jack is sixteen and since he had heart surgery as a child, he has been dependent on medicine to keep him alive. Jack has never forgotten to take his medicine but on the day of the soccer team tryouts, he does just that and his ordinary small town life suddenly begins to change. Jack is one of the Weirlind. He was born a wizard but his wizard’s stone was missing –
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Okay, this book is officially the last thing by Cinda Williams Chima that I will read.
The funny thing is, I'm not trying to sound mean or whatever (haha, like in the old days!). I just do not like her style, I guess. I really didn't like the Seven Realms books, but that was mostly because I hated the characters. Yes, "hated."

Here...there were just too many issues. Her writing style, to me, seemed very clunky and juvenile. I'm not trying to be mean - this just did not read like the work of a pro
Luann
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luann by: QueenAmidala
This is Highlander meets Buffy, and a lot of fun! A centuries old Game is played out involving warriors, wizards, sorcerers, enchanters and soothsayers. I enjoyed this very much and look forward to reading the next two: The Wizard Heir and The Dragon Heir. I guessed several of the surprise twists long before they happened, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.
Meika
Sep 02, 2007 rated it liked it
The story itself is riveting. The pace is brisk. I read most of it in one night...and finished the rest of it in the wee hours of the morning. The characters are well developed, human complete with motivations and failings and reserves of personal strength. The world in which the story was set has a pretty sound set of rules, and the magic is very exciting.
That said, I felt like I was reading a draft version at times. The writing itself was opaque. Meaning, author-style-signature aside, the pres
Cori Reed
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

While not as good as The Seven Realms (yet!), this was still thoroughly enjoyable!
Chelsea
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teens, someone not looking for a masterpiece
Shelves: dropped
I just could NOT get into it. I ended up dropping it after only a few chapters because it seemed like your usual run-of-the-mill, fantasy-for-the-sake-of-it, cliche riddled, ultimately just bad novel. I wasn't intrigued by any of the characters, and even the events of the first few CHAPTERS were predictable. And worst of all, there was nothing to keep me hooked, nothing to hint that it might get better.

Of course, it's possible that I was just too judgmental, seeing as I was ill at the time and w
Lina
Dec 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
First of all, I can not believe that the same author who wrote the Seven Realms series wrote this. I love the Seven Realms series, I read it after I read the Warrior Heir, and the style is so different. I would never guess that they are written by the same person, the only reason I made the connection was because of the similar covers.

I did not like this book. The main character to me felt dull and boring. I found him very cookie cutter, he didn't feel like a real person. There was nothing in hi
Joey
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jack is a normal kid, in a normal neighborhood, with normal friends. Nobody knows he's different from the others... until one day at soccer tryouts, he nearly kills another kid. Jack has an uncommon illness that only warriors of the weir have. He was implanted a warrior stone purposely. He takes his medications every morning to prevent any release of power or magic. One morning, he forgets to take it because he is in a rush to get to school. After school at soccer tryouts, he almost killed a ki ...more
Brigid ✩
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Not bad … but a little weird. The premise was cool, but as it went along it started to get a little random in parts and then really predictable in other parts. It had a lot of plot twists that were verging on dumb, like "Oh guess what?! I'M A WIZARD!" and then somebody else turns around and says "HEY GUESS WHAT!! I'M A WIZARD TOO!!" I'm like, "Okay ... so who ISN'T a wizard?" O.o By the end – which was sorta Hunger Games-esque – I was getting a little bored. Parts were exciting, and the plot was ...more
Francesca Stubbs
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I desperately wanted to like this book but it just didn't happen for me. I felt at times it lacked in description and was often anticlimactic when it should have been the opposite. Chima is definitely one of my favorite authors and I adore her Seven Realms and Shattered Realms series and I had high hopes for this series as well. With that said I did purchase the second book and hope that it makes up for this book!
Justine
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was quite good, and my kids enjoyed listening to the audiobook, but it didn't have nearly the complexity and depth of The Seven Realms series. That said, it was compelling enough that my kids and I are continuing the series.
majo
Jul 13, 2018 marked it as dnf
DNF at 26%

I had higher expectations going into this book, because I heard amazing things about this author. Guess I'm going to read her seven realms series in the future, but for now, this book is not for me.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Jack enjoys his normal life in Trinity, Ohio. He spends time with his best friends, goes to school, and is extremely excited about soccer tryouts. Jack is very healthy, despite the thick scar that resides above his heart and the medicine he has to take every day. Life is ordinary - until he forgets to take his medicine.

Soccer tryouts are a breeze. Jack has never felt so alive, and when his nemesis, Lobeck, gets in his way, Jack slams him into the g
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
“Just remember who you are... The world will try to change you into someone else. Don't let them. That's the best advice anyone can give you.”

“The Warrior Heir is a contemporary fantasy and coming of age story. It is the classic tale of boy who finds out he has a gift and learning how to hone that gift. Jack is a likeable character, he is kind and a good friend. His family and friends have kept him safe his whole life but now he has to learn how to use his gift before he is discovered and poss
Andrea
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, own
I liked this, but I was kind of disappointed it was an urban fantasy. I enjoy all kinds of fantasy but damn I'm just so in love with Chima's skill at world developing from Seven Realms that I was hoping for that here. And it was not that. I miss Seven Realms now, I need to re-read it.

I enjoyed the characters, but they felt kind of flat to me. I also predicted most of the ending so if wasn't as fun for me. I'm still going to continue this series eventually because I like the magic system, but th
Josh
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This wasn't the best book I've read in awhile - I didn't find myself trying to make time to finish it. However it had a good, fast paced story with enough intrigue and action to keep it interesting.

The only part that really disappointed me was the ending. You spend 400 pages slowing bringing the book to a climax, then in only a few pages you get this overly dramatic, almost unbelievable, way too happy ending. Sort of felt like a bad Disney movie at the end...

But aside from that, it was worth th
theravengirl (salmaagroudy)
“They fought because they loved the dance, and the weight of a sword in their hands. The clash and spark of metal and hiss of flame was like music written just for them.”

This was epic. EPIC!

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Fall of a Kingdom (The Farsala Trilogy, #1)
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp (Alfred Kropp, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • Ruler of the Realm
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • The Awakening (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #1)
  • Soul Enchilada
  • Blue Fire
  • The Eternal Flame (Merlin #11)
  • Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1)
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
  • The Crow
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • Destiny's Path (Warrior Princess, #2)
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • Speak
New York Times bestselling author Cinda Williams Chima comes from a long line of fortune-tellers, musicians and spinners of tales. She began writing romance novels in middle school, which were often confiscated by her teachers.

Her Heir Chronicles series (magic comes to contemporary Ohio) comprises The Warrior Heir The Wizard Heir . The Dragon Heir The Enchanter Heir, and the Sorcerer Heir.

Chima's

The Heir Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Enchanter Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #4)
  • The Sorcerer Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #5)
“He's not lazy. He's just highly inefficient.” 231 likes
“Ellen could have killed me," Jack said quietly, "but she didn't. She saved my life."
"How come?" Fitch demanded. "After all this?"
Ellen turned scarlet and stared at the ground. "Maybe none of my opponents ever gave me flowers before," she mumbled.”
167 likes