Start by marking “Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School!” as Want to Read:
Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School!

Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School! (Little Brown Bear)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Little Brown Bear does not want to go to school, so he tries various jobs instead. Ages 3+.
Published July 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published February 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School!

Abbey Reeser
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dyer, J. (2002) Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School. New York: Little, Brown and Company.

Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School is about a young bear would rather go looking for a job like his parents have instead of going to school. One morning after Little Brown Bear's parents dropped him off at school he decided to take an adventure around town, trying out various job opportunities. Once realizing that he was not a right fit for any of them he decided to see what his friends were up to in s
Michelle
Literary Element: Dialogue. Little Brown Bear won't go to school. Instead, he sets off to find a job just like his parents. He tries several jobs and soon realizes that he doesn’t have the necessary skills. When he passes by his school, he sees all his classmates having fun and decides to go back to school. Once inside the classroom, his teacher gives him a job that is just right for him.

This is such a cute book especially for those young children who do not see the value in going to school. I e
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Little Brown Bear Wont Go to School!
Story and Illustrations By Jane Dyer
Grade Levels: App. K-3
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: n/a
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

This humorous fantasy book is about a little bear who doesn't want to go to school; instead, he wants to have a job just like his parents. When he is dropped off at school, he walks to the nearby diner, where he gets a job as a waiter. Problem is, he cannot write, so he looks for another job. In each instance, he recognizes that not having an education
Jacquelyn Arbegast
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this book, Little Brown Bear doesn't want to go to school because his parents don't since they work. When he hears this, he decides that he wants to go to work too. Then he tries a bunch of jobs that don't workout well for him, so he decides that it is best to go to school so he can learn to get a job one day.
Dolly
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've already read "Little Brown Bear Won't Take a Nap," so I wasn't surprised when the little bear ditches school and walks around town trying out different jobs. When I read the first book, I was horrified that the book showed the little bear out on his own, but this time, I was less shocked and I discussed with our girls how he shouldn't have snuck away from school. It's adorable fiction and is just a story, but I still don't think I like this series much. We adore Jane Dyer's illustrations, ...more
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Brown Bear decides that he doesn't need to go to school and that he'd be happier having a job instead. But as he goes to various places around town he discovers that he doesn't have the skills he needs to do the work. He can't write, so he can't take orders at the diner. He can't measure and cut, so he can't help the carpenter. Every place he tries ends up causing big problems. Poor little bear...where will he be most successful? At school!
Charming watercolors emphasize the caring nature
Mary
Little Brown Bear wants to go to work, just like his parents. He doesn’t want to go to school! So, he decides to get a job. But every job he tries is too hard for him because he hasn’t learned the skills he needs from school. It is a great book to show the importance of going to school from a young age. Large pictures and a relatable topic make this a good read for ECE kids.
Jami
Sep 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
A cute story about a little bear who wants to get a job instead of going to school. Flows a bit herky-jerky tho.
Amanda
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. I think it teaches children a good value of what they will need to succeed.
Michele
Shirit
Aug 30, 2014
Shannon
Mar 21, 2017
Jane Dyer has been illustrating children's books for over a decade. Publishers Weekly described her art for Talking Like The Rain: A Read-to-Me Book of Poems, selected by X. J. and Dorothy Kennedy, as "unusually striking... vibrantly coloured, splendidly detailed illustrations [which are] some of this gifted artist's finest work."

Ms. Dyer lives and works in a 100 year-old brick house in Northampto
More about Jane Dyer

Little Brown Bear (3 books)
  • Little Brown Bear Won't Take a Nap!
  • Little Brown Bear and the Bundle of Joy