Start by marking “Incidental Findings: Lessons from My Patients in the Art of Medicine” as Want to Read:
Incidental Findings: Lessons from My Patients in the Art of Medicine

Incidental Findings: Lessons from My Patients in the Art of Medicine

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In Singular Intimacies, which the New England Journal of Medicine said captured the'essence of becoming and being a doctor,' Danielle Ofri led us into the hectic, constantly challenging world of big-city medicine. In Incidental Findings, she's finished her training and is learning through practice to become a more rounded healer. The book opens with a dramatic tale of the ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Beacon Press (first published April 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Incidental Findings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incidental Findings

Valentina Chiriac
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I have expected something else... something different than some stories about unfortunate people that make a doctor reconsider his/her privileged position...
I have little knowledge about doctors and medicine in the US, but this book does not give me a good feeling. Dr. Ofri humanity and kindness towards her patients seem like personal options, something that she learned, not something natural.
Alison
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical
This is great reading for any new physician! After losing the "humane" part of medicine during training, this book reminded me why I started the long journey in the first place.
Jeanne
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I encountered Danielle ofri listening to a moth podcast.I so enjoyed her story of her early medical training at Bellevue.then I found out she wrote books..this was wonderful..so full of insights, .humor and truths about Dr/patient relationships
Kristin
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
In an instance of why judging a book by its cover would be wrong, I nearly didn't purchase this book when I saw it at the store. The author bears a strong resemblance to a couple professors I knew in college who were still living in the hippie mindset, and coupled with the title's reference to the 'art of medicine', I was concerned she was a new age practitioner who would be talking about her unconventional methods of doctoring. However, it couldn't be farther from the truth, and is one of the b ...more
Calamus
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dr. Ofri may not have House’s attitude or Meredith Grey’s love life, but she captures the drama of the hospital as well as any Hollywood scriptwriter. Told in mostly chronological vignettes, Dr. Ofri shares with us the trials and tribulations of the patients she meets while working her way from intern to attending. She takes us into the lives of patients from all walks of life—immigrant workers, famed academics, and even her own time as a patient during the birth of her first child. Ofri is a re ...more
Mia
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Dr. Ofri may not have House’s attitude or Meredith Grey’s love life, but she captures the drama of the hospital, from both the doctor and the patient perspective, as well as any Hollywood scriptwriter.

Told in mostly chronological vignettes, Dr. Ofri shares with us the trials and tribulations of the patients she meets while working her way from intern to attending. She takes us into the lives of patients from all walks of life, immigrant workers, famed academics, and even her own time as a patie
Biogeek
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All students thinking of medicine as a career
Recommended to Biogeek by: sharonkerr
An excellent collection of "lessons" a doctor can learn from her patients. Definitely reminded me of Oliver Sacks, but with more on the workings inside a doctor's mind. I love her focus on the human story beyond the medical symptoms. Companion article: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01....

My favorite chapters are the ones that describe the regular day in the hospital, and of course "SAT". Ofri does a wonderful job of describing the ethical decisions a doctor has to make all the time. Should
Jenni Ogden
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Danielle Ofri writes movingly about people from many countries, who, like most of us at some time in our lives, become patients of the medical system. As a doctor in the USA medical system, her stories are about immigrants to that country who not only have to deal with their medical condition and all that goes along with getting treatment for it, but have to find their way through the cultural complexities of simply living in the USA. "Cross-cultural" medicine and health care generally is a mass ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, healing
Ofri examines all the parts of being a medical doctor that disturb her in the series of essays that make up this book. Why do doctors ignore the parts of life of their patients that take place outside the hospital? What is true about the details patients report to their doctors? How does a doctor determine what is true? What can a doctor do to treat a patient when the life elements that need treating lie beyond the realm of medicine?
Sally
Very well-written account of some of the insights Dr. Ofri has gained from her patients and by being a patient herself (tables turned). It focuses largely on the human condition, particularly among the marginalized, and on medicine in a big teaching hospital. I enjoyed reading it, hope to read more of her work.
Ali
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: medical students
Recommended to Ali by: Nathan
Yet another book by a physician reflecting on their patients and life. I enjoyed reading this book and I think the author does a good job of telling her patients' stories. She incorporates her travel experiences and bravely tells the story of her own abortion to match her patient's story. However, this book is more about her than her patients and doesn't offer anything new.
Kbeckermann
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book on so many levels. The humour, observations, and honesty made me stop and reflect on the interactions I have with different people and the incidental findings I have had over the years. Even if you don't work in health-care and have never been a patient, this book will give you lots to think about.
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Danielle Ofri! You are such an insightful writer! I like how all of her stories are grounded in everyday realities but she manages to take away a lot of lessons from such encounters. She's a different writer than Atul Gawande - more practitioner than pet cuase champion, but she also has a gift with words.
Jeanne
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting essays on being a doctor in various venues. Bellevue Hospital in New York City is her home hospital, so that is always good for drama. The essays usually dealt with one particular patient at a time and gave insight as to how the doctor reacts to common patient concerns.
Bea Lathrop
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting book especially if you are considering in going into the field of medicine.
jisun
Mar 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
first-hand, real stories. great book. some good quotes, and some deep insights about women in medicine.
Kunal
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Gives a good perspective if you're going into medicine
Ann
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
More fascinating medical stories from Ofri.
Apallant
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love Danielle's "voice" I think she really captures the doctor patient relationship but also lets you get a glimpse of the struggles, dilemmas and support a caring doctor might provide.
Robert White
Mar 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • Match Day: One Day and One Dramatic Year in the Lives of Three New Doctors
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • Too Late to Die Young: Nearly True Tales from a Life
  • Narrative Medicine: Honoring the Stories of Illness
  • The Soul of a Doctor: Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • The Doctor Stories
  • Medical Physiology, Updated Edition: With Student Consult Online Access
  • Patient by Patient: Lessons in Love, Loss, Hope, and Healing from a Doctor's Practice
  • What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors
  • The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, And The Human Condition
  • Becoming a Doctor: From Student to Specialist, Doctor-Writers Share Their Experiences
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • Brain Surgeon: A Doctor's Inspiring Encounters with Mortality and Miracles
  • The Lost Art of Healing: Practicing Compassion in Medicine
  • Better Than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream
When I started medical school, I had no idea that I would become a writer. I'd completed a PhD in the biochemistry of endorphin receptors, and planned to become a bench scientist with a once-a-week clinic to see patients.

But during residency, I fell in love with patient-care, and realized that I'd have to put bench research aside. After three years of training, I took off some time to travel. I sp
More about Danielle Ofri...