Start by marking “The Celtic Stone” as Want to Read:
The Celtic Stone

The Celtic Stone

Chris Norman’s dreams of being a commercial pilot are shattered when he crashes his light plane in central Australia and is badly wounded. His life hangs in the balance, a balance that is swayed by the intervention of an Aboriginal man. He leaves Chris with a mysterious and incongruous legacy, a Celtic cross made of stone.
Partly blinded and in deep grief at no longer
Published November 1st 2013 by Even Before Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Celtic Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celtic Stone

Dale Harcombe
After reading a review I bought this book initially intending to give it as a gift. When it arrived I couldn’t resist it. I loved the cover and was drawn into the story from the beginning in Australia with Chris Norman, a commercial pilot. After crashing his plane Chris encounters Raberaba, an Aboriginal man surprisingly in possession of a Celtic cross, which ends up in Chris’ possession.
Grief-stricken at being blinded in one eye and unable to fly and after the death of his grandfather, Ch
Ruth Bonetti
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and engrossing, especially the opening chapters that painted the outback scenery with deft touches. But this raised tantalising questions. I waited for more resolution and definition of the indigenous link.

How did a Celtic cross come to be around the neck of an aboriginal saviour at the other end of the world? Yes, links were uncovered but remained ill-defined, shadowy hints.

However, the Scottish scenes and characters were well realised and provided a good contras
Paula Vince
A really clever, engrossing and surprising book.

Chris Norman is saved from his light plane wreck by a tribal hunter named Raberaba, who attempts to pull him back to white man's domain. After another accident, Chris is left with the strangest thing anyone would expect to find dangling around the neck of a tribal Aboriginal-an ancient Celtic cross.

After inheriting his grandfather's property on the Isle of Skye, Chris gets a chance to live there and research the origin of th
Brian Maunder
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I just finished reading this fabulous book and I loved it. I am not a very competent or fast reader, so a book needs to be interesting and compelling all the way through for me to finish. I was just amazed at how much knowledge of the differing cultures this book weaved into the story, along with its numerous anecdotes and fascinating insights on history, people, law, theology etc etc. Obviously Nick Hawkes understands well what he writes about, and he writes a wonderful story of love, adve ...more
Rosanne Hawke
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Loved this: adventure, romance and mystery. Storytelling like the old days. Very entertaining. Kept thinking about the characters for ages afterwards which is a good sign. My husband wants to read it now.
Carol Preston
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read. Terrific historical and cultural information about The Island of Skye and Scottish life. Also a tender love story, colourful and engaging characters, and twists of mystery and intrigue. Very well researched and written. I loved it.
Omega Writers
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two reviews from our CALEB reviewers:

This is a novel that could only have been written by one who has intimate knowledge of the both the harsh Australian outback and at the opposite ends of the earth – the isles of the Scottish Hebrides. Nick Hawkes weaves a story where these two places mesh together in a tale of intrigue, romance, loyalty, revenge and murder. All with a connectedness that will fascinate and hold the reader’s attention well into the night – and the next morning.
Jeanette
In The Celtic Stone Nick Hawkes whisks the reader from the magnificent scorching deserts of red centre of Australia to the stormy and stunning beauty of the Isle of Skye. Chris Norman, embittered from losing the sight of his eye in a flying accident and therefore his chance to be a pilot, decides to investigate the origin of a mysterious Celtic Cross and look into the crofting rights on Skye left to him from his recently deceased Scottish grandfather. Here he makes both friends and enemies. In the mi ...more
Mazzy Adams
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed The Celtic Stone by Nick Hawkes. Protagonist Chris's physical, emotional and spiritual journey from outback Australia to the wild Scottish Isles was believable, engaging and gently inspirational, with just enough mystery, intrigue and romance to keep me turning pages. Plus the language and setting descriptions expanded my horizons and made both locations sing their music, and their magic, to me.

Recommended.
Valerie Volk
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-constructed tale that spanned several continents very convincingly. I was particularly impressed by the thoroughness of details - most convincing knowledge of the world of flying, sailing, the Australian outback, the Scottish islands, crofting - a writer who really knows his stuff! The Celtic world is brought to life in a fluently written tale, that achieves some moving moments - e.f. when Morag's sight returns. My only reservation was the rather too pat series of happy ever after endings ...more
Anne Hamilton
Loved this story from the first moment I picked it up. It was, in many ways, reminiscent of the better novels by Michael Phillips. Yet with its unique Australian flavour, blended with so much Scots history, it was entirely different.

Having spent time in both the Australian outback west of Alice Springs and on the Isle of Skye, I felt the book had just the right touch of authenticity about both locations. I can't answer for what it's like to sail down the Inner Hebrides from Skye to Iona but Haw
Mary Hawkins
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing story. Having ancestors going back to Scotland centuries ago, anything Celtic is intriguing for me. I particularly enjoyed the Celtic connection to Australia. A very entertaining read.
Bev Warren
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Historical information is fascinating. Recommend this one.
Kerrie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I place on the margins of crime fiction: but there is murder, there is mystery and there is crime.

I bought the book recently at a book launch held at our local library by the author to celebrate his third book.

There's something a little old fashioned about the plot and style of this book - it reminds me of some of the books I read decades ago. Having said that though, I am not denigrating it. I really enjoyed the story. At the book launch N
Kym Hoffrichter
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just recently finished reading 3 of Nick's novels - The Celtic Stone, The Pharaoh's Stone and the Viking Stone. I enjoyed them all very much and particularly liked Nick's lead male characters in each novel. ( The Heros) . Whilst they were all different, they had an integrity about them with the ability to understand people. They seemed to be able to come alongside others with honest concern and a heart to help. Yet they were each vulnerable in their own way. I also found Nick's style to b ...more
Pauline Nicholas
A great read.Excellent values,exciting,tantalizing,vivid descriptions and hard to put down.Well researched and the whole book ran so smoothly and was well put together.Thoroughly enjoyed it and a great time out.
Nicole