Start by marking “The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven, #3)

The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven #3)

The company has been scattered far and wide in its mission to prepare Faltha for war - now the armies of the Destroyer are near and invasion is imminent.

Leith has returned to the city of Instruere. Bearing with him the legendary JugomArk, thousands flock to him to fight for Faltha in the coming battle. But Leith struggles to accept their faith in him, and his role as custo
Mass Market Paperback, 665 pages
Published March 1st 2008 by Orbit (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Right Hand of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Hand of God

Maria
Feb 12, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it
The ending! A great read that pulls everything together nicely. I have ended up really liking this book. This is not my favorite fantasy series, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I am also writing this way after I read the book. I have decided it is time to quit denying my love of the fantasy genre. My name is Maria, and I love Fantasty!
Книжни Криле
Краят е близо! „Дясната ръка на Бога”, последната книга от трилогията на Ръсел Къркпатрик „Небесен огън” разказва за бремето на отговорността, силата на волята и борбата със злото дори и тогава, когато всичко изглежда безнадеждно изгубено. Пригответе се за епична война в духа и традициите на класическото фентъзи! Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

Kevin
Aug 23, 2008 Kevin rated it it was ok
Kirkpatrick's convoluted trilogy ends with a whimper. Like the second in the series, this is a mix of unconvincing theology and haphazard characterization. Only read if you have the momentum from the first two.
Attila
Nov 04, 2016 Attila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The conclusion of Kirkpatrick's trilogy, an enjoyable fantasy epic with some really good parts. There are more travels and battles, and a satisfying conclusion in the end.

I hesitated between giving it 3 or 4 stars; in the end I gave it only 3. Despite the good plot and the intensity, I could never really support the questing party and the Chosen Nation. They conquered and enslaved many other peoples in the name of an absent God through their history, and they are not really better than the Bhrud
Douglas
Apr 30, 2013 Douglas rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who read the first two and are suckers for completion.
So I'm done. It's over. It's sort of over, that is. Actually, there's loose threads here and there but for the most part I'm done. In all I don't regret reading this trilogy, but the ending puts a somewhat lackluster ending on an average series at best.

This book itself is paradoxically too long and not long enough. With the regards to the minor plots, there just isn't enough time put into their development. There are threads that are partially developed and seemingly completed with little narrat
Rachel
Jul 28, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Incredibly hard to read through, this one is definitely the worst in the series. From the incredibly cliched Children of The Mist (any NZer will know who these people are supposed to be), to the ridiculous romance (why are the two characters paired? Because they're of opposite genders, there's no other reason), this was rubbish. The preaching reaches new heights of annoyance in this one, to the point where it is actually hard to tell if the author is telling a story or trying to recruit people t ...more
Paige Belfield
Feb 08, 2015 Paige Belfield rated it really liked it
This isn't a series I would actively recommend to anyone, but it is still a series I mostly enjoyed. The first two dragged for a large portion of their weight, the second one suffering excessively so, however the third one was at the very least an easier read. I started the series doubting the worth of the main character Leith, and unfortunately by the end of The Right Hand of God I still felt that he lacked substance. All the other characters had great potential but very few had that potential ...more
Mike
Feb 04, 2017 Mike rated it really liked it
Over all, not a bad ending to a decent series. The characters are still interesting despite not developing much, and the war takes a few unexpected turns.

The one thing that really bothers me is that I had a clear "aha!" moment when it seemed obvious that the finale would closely tie in with the Midwinter's play (which in some respects was the start of this whole thing); however, none of the characters (Leith, in particular) ever made that connection. It felt like a missed opportunity to tie the
Peter Smith
Jul 27, 2011 Peter Smith rated it liked it
While some may like this, I found this 3rd book in this series somewhat of a chore. I found myself asking again and again, when does it end? The story continues from book 2, and elements of action are there, but most of the book is filled with the main characters personal turmoils rather than the store I wanted to read.

Some may like that, and i may have to a degree as well, but I found it dragged on without resolution far too long leaving the main story plodding.

I still give it 3 stars, I have r
Brian Hagedorn
Jan 11, 2014 Brian Hagedorn rated it it was ok
Just like the previous book, this feels like more of a first draft than a completed final draft. While it didn't have the bizarre randomness that plagued the previous book, there were still too many contrived moments that fall under the "Ha-Ha, I tricked you again" category. Too many times the author tries to be clever while badly telegraphing what would happen next. And dropping a few big words here and there doesn't add intelligence that's already horribly lacking.

Overall, this series can be s
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
c2005. I kind of lost heart in this series of book after the 2nd which seemed way more christian fundamentalist than the first book. However, the story piqued my interest enough to get the 3rd book to find out what was really going on. I think that I feel rather disappointed witht they way that some of the "mysteries" were resolved and were not thrashed out enough to give a credible wind up to the trilogy. That said, some parts of the story were excellent but weighted down in the main by some ve ...more
Mick
Nov 26, 2011 Mick rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the conclusion of the Fire of Heaven Series. While I still recommend it, especially if you read the first two, I have to say it is the least enjoyable of the three. I'd like to explain why this is but I can't do it in any detail without giving away plot points. Lets just say it wasn't as rewarding as I would have hoped. It is still a great read full of intrigue and fast pacing with perhaps the most action of the three novels.
Connor Ferguson
In this, we finally understand all of the characters fully, hero and villain alike. The protagonist has been struggling with very real internal problems for a while (the exact same problems I have with religion, in fact), and finally finds a good solution. There is a lot of loss here at the end, but the end is perfect for the villain and his henchmen, and has good triumph over evil in a way that mostly avoids cliches.
Felicity
May 11, 2012 Felicity rated it it was ok
My mother gave me this series of books to read. There are a lot of descriptive battle scenes and an underlying religious message. Most books take me about a 3 days (if not busy) to a week to read. Each one of these took me a month. It was good enough to keep reading but it didn't hold my attention for long periods of time. I like to be swept away by fiction. Unfortunately that did not happen with these books.
Daniel Taylor
Feb 19, 2011 Daniel Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Characters that had been signposted as having a bigger role got sidelined. Shame, because the first book, scene-by-scene was perfect. The publishers forced him to produce books 2 and 3 a year apart; the first took 13 years to write. You have to hate publishers who kill the goose thinking they'll get the golden eggs.
Sarah Sunday
Apr 26, 2015 Sarah Sunday rated it really liked it
I knew what was going to happen since I read the subsequent trilogy, but I still found myself mildly frustrated with what happened. I don't like the character that became glorified in the end. But I really like what happened to Stella, the heroine of the novel. Her development takes the crown in this installment.
Brennetta
Sep 01, 2013 Brennetta rated it it was ok
I didn't think this was a terrific series but I enjoyed it. This third and last one was definitely the hardest to get through and at times I almost put down to never pick up again. About 2/3 into the book I felt like it finally got started and I didn't want to put it down at all. That was how each book was.
Aisha Mahmoud
May 09, 2013 Aisha Mahmoud rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Really good. Not as good as the first two but still I could not put it down. Loved it. Some Christianity in it but not extremely so. Very exciting and interesting with many surprises. Loved it. My only frustration is my library does not have his second series. Eventually I will have to buy it. I am loving his writing.
Nathan
Jul 16, 2009 Nathan rated it liked it
A good, if somewhat deus ex machina ending, to a good epic fantasy trilogy. If you liked the first book, it's worth continuing through to the end to watch the characters grow and develop, and to further explore a very interesting world.
Andrew
Sep 06, 2008 Andrew added it
Recommends it for: No one
Wow, this was lousy. Of course I thought the previous 2 in the series were bad too, but I had hope that the author would learn to write as he went. I was wrong.

I saw there is a new related book. I will not read that next book.
Chris Cicmanec
Mar 24, 2009 Chris Cicmanec rated it did not like it
i am actually angry that i wasted my time and money on these three books. the characters are all useless and the plot makes no sense. I would have actually preferred or the antagonist to win and put everyone to a painful death.
Fred
Aug 02, 2011 Fred rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Classic fantasy that follows one of the classic formulas - Group from remote mountain village finds out that they have a destiny and are part of a prophecy to fight the forces of evil etc etc lol. Hey, run with what works right?
Sue
Jun 15, 2008 Sue rated it liked it
Really well done epic fantasy trilogy. The world-building excellent and believable, and the character development is solid. The story is mostly interesting, although slows a bit in book 2 and the latter part of book 3. Still, one of the better representations for this genre.
Aeklipse
Sep 27, 2011 Aeklipse rated it it was ok
It was interesting at first but alot of questions were left unanswered it seemed. It was a little of a struggle to finish. The story was ok but some characters were not fully developed. More or less it wad an OK read
Orbit
Shelves: not-good
Not good
Greg
Nov 17, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
A very good book. I really enjoyed the plot twist in how the conflict ended...
Joel LeBlanc
May 31, 2014 Joel LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
An impossibly good read by a Kiwi author I had never heard of till just recently. Amazed how sad I feel now this trilogy is over. I want MORE!
Todd
Aug 23, 2012 Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the climax and action in this one. The characters and plot are pretty predictable though.
Trevor
Dec 10, 2009 Trevor rated it it was amazing
This was a great ending to a series that in my opinion is one of the best of the genre.
  • Orcs: Army of Shadows (Orcs Bad Blood #2)
  • Tymon's Flight (Chronicles of the Tree, #1)
  • The Fate of the Fallen (The Song of the Tears, #1)
  • The Map of All Things (Terra Incognita, #2)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • Hammer of God (Godspeaker Trilogy, #3)
  • Cage the Darlings
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Silver Call (The Silver Call, #1-2)
  • The Blood King (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #2)
  • The Black Ospreys
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
Russell Kirkpatrick was born in 1961 in Christchurch, New Zealand, where he lived until 2000. He is a geography PhD graduate of the University of Canterbury, and currently lectures at the University of Waikato in Hamilton. During the 1990s he was fortunate enough to work on two major atlas projects, as Deputy Editor of the New Zealand Historical Atlas (Readers Choice winner, Montana Book Awards, 1 ...more
More about Russell Kirkpatrick...

Fire of Heaven (3 books)
  • Across the Face of the World (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)