Start by marking “The Long Ride Home: The Extraordinary Journey of Healing that Changed a Child's Life” as Want to Read:

Heart-breaking, uplifting and full of adventure, The Long Ride Home is the long-awaited sequel to the international bestseller The Horse Boy.

Rowan came back from the shamans in Mongolia a changed boy. The three most debilitating effects of his autism - his incontinence, his endless tantruming, and his inability to make friends - were gone.

But a year almost to the day sinc
Published June 19th 2014 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Long Ride Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Ride Home

Start your review of The Long Ride Home: The Extraordinary Journey of Healing that Changed a Child's Life
Clare O'Beara
Rowan has autism and in an earlier book, briefly recapped, his dad Rupert learnt that Rowan liked riding the neighbour's quiet mare. He took the lad to Mongolia to speak with horse herders and shamans. This book carries on as each year for three years the family took Rowan to shamans around the world.
We get a look at the lives and environments of these tribal peoples, the most detailed being the Kalahari Bushmen. The others are Australian Aborigines and Navajos.

In between Rupert and his wife K
Tory
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story of the author's following of nontraditional (n0n-Western) methods with his autistic son, including working with horses and visiting shamans for healing. Though I enjoyed learning of the different methods and the challenges and successes of those methods, the book is in serious need of editing, as it is at least twice as long as it needs to be. Given the nonfiction nature of the book, and the author's apparent willingness to share his methods, I expected references --- footnotes, a list ...more
Joell
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravely told story of love and how it leads us to adventure, to self realization and to freedom. From the steppes of Mongolia, to the campfires of the Kalahari down the the canyons of the Great Basin, through the depths of the heart and ego and emerging on the back of a strong horse galloping through life. Rupert takes you with him on the journey of a lifetime as a parent who dares to love.
Mark Logie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Long Ride Home is a powerful book which acknowledges human failings and is packed with insight into life, human nature, autism and the natural environment, such as "[B]y first giving up my dreams, and then putting them into the service of the dreams of those more vulnerable than myself, they had started to come true" (p 270) or "Adventure is built into daily life here; it's not something you do sometimes, once in a while. In Africa, adventure is the day to day, the same old same old" (p 101) ...more
JennericUser
Maybe it's largely due to a personal romance/obsession with Mongolia and other horse-centric cultures, but this second installment of Rowan's story was kind of a disappointment for me compared to the original Horse Boy. I still love the base concepts of going any distance, giving up any preconception, accepting the things we just don't know, and gratefully taking those unknowns into our lives when they seem to have a positive impact no matter how it looks or sounds or might be perceived, but I f ...more
Louise Pay
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The long ride home is a story of adventure, hope and how a supporting community can go a long way in helping to raise a child with autism. It is thought provoking and takes the reader on a spiritual journey as well as detailing the challenges of autism. It is a remarkable story of how a young boy with autism progressed.
Rachel Lofthouse
In this book, the journey that begun in The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey To Heal His Son continues on to Australia, Africa and America. Where the shamans of the indigenous people of these great regions play their part in the healing process of a boy. These eye-opening encounters are entwined with the day-to-day life back at home and the continual work to improve the lives of children and adults with autism through the power of horses and nature. If you are interested in real life and ...more
Robin
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Horse Boy is very similar to it. At first, I didn’t think I could finish it, since it was more of the same struggles and visits to shamans as in the first book. Once I got farther into it, however, I realized that the struggles were different, in that Rowan was older, and the visits to Shamans were different, in that Rowan could interact with them. In addition, the author explains more insights about how to deal with and teach autists, so that I enjoyed the book. Isaacson is a go ...more
Donna Harland
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This tells the story of hope for autistic children. The need for committed and understanding parents to be not afraid to step outside the box of what others call normal, find the best avenue for their child and their family.
Very well written. I could not put it down and will follow this family as far as the internet will take me.
The people in the 'tribe' at New Trails are amazing people. I commend them all.
Thank you!
Jen
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories contained in the book were excellent. The telling of the stories got a little long. I felt like the author repeated his concerns and his descriptions of his son's issues over and over and over (and sometimes using the exact same wording repeatedly).

I loved hearing more about Rowan and Rupert's adventures and where they are now.
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sequel to the first book "The Horse Boy". Rupert Isaacson describes his journeys around the world with his son who has autism. I liked Rupert's honesty when describing his successes and also his failures. It introduces us to methods of healing which have been carried out for thousands of years.
Kim
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking. Really questions how we live our lives and how we manage children and people with differences.
Shelley Des Forges
This was a discounted book via a Sunday paper. I'd have never read otherwise. I did enjoy the story but suggest only read if particularly interested in autism or alternative healing.
Christine
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about Autism and a families journey to get help for their son
River King
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fascinating read. If you are curious about how other people understand life and illness, this is for you.
Becky

• Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs
  • Burning Woman
  • First Time Ever
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • The Christmas Chronicles: Notes, Stories and 100 Essential Recipes for Midwinter
  • The Girl with the Curly Hair - Asperger's and Me
  • The Great Ex-Scape
  • Thirteen Months of Sunrise
  • Four Waifs on our Doorstep
  • Ordinary People
  • The Woman in the White Kimono
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)
Rupert Isaacson was born in London to a South African mother and a Zimbabwean father. Isaacson's first book, The Healing Land (Grove Press), was a 2004 New York Times Notable Book. He has travelled extensively in Africa, Asia, and North America for the British press and now lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife, Kristin, and their son, Rowan.

News & Interviews