Start by marking “Death of a Village (Hamish Macbeth, #18)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Village (Hamish Macbeth, #18)

Death of a Village

(Hamish Macbeth #18)

From the author of the Agatha Raisin television series...DEATH OF A VILLAGE: A Hamish Macbeth MysteryTrouble is afoot in a Scottish fishing village as Constable Macbeth finds the pub empty, the church full, and the air permeated with fear. With the help of a journalist, Macbeth begins to ferret out the truth.
Mass Market Paperback, 235 pages
Published January 1st 2004 by Warner Books (first published February 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Village, please sign up.
Sheena Sutherland is a real place in the north of Scotland, some of the towns and villages mentioned do exist but Lochdubh is fictional .

Bobby Underwood
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Visions o' God, Holy Grail, shipwreck, murder and mayhem, and all you lot can find to talk about is a mythical affair." — An exasperated Hamish

Highland charm and humor make for another winner from M.C. Beaton. Visiting Hamish Macbeth in his beloved Lochdubh is the cure for whatever ails you, its quirky residents and their strange ways sure to bring a smile and a laugh. Cleverly squirming out of the promotion Daviot wants to give our favorite village bobby so he can remain in Lochdubh, Hamish ke
June Ahern
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I needed a laugh and where do I find it in a mystery read? M.C Beaton's Hamish MacBeth crime adventure series. This one gave me the laughs while keeping me interested in the crime solving of a few cases. Hamish can be such a brainless man when it comes to women and love, but he's got that Highlander's canny sense for liars and criminals. Beaton creates real characters - like in life when you come along and meet an unusual person and even if you don't like her or him, are drawn to their peculiari ...more
Dolly
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This was a bizarre, but entertaining entry in the Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton. Both my mother-in-law and I love these books and we are steadily working our way through them. They are fun, quick reads and we've grown attached to the characters. This story had a lot of sub-plots, almost too many to keep track of, but the story of the geriatric sleuths was my favorite. On to the next story...

new word: usquebae
The Bookish Hooker
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful mystery with Hamish! Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin are my guilty pleasures.
Greg
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I've enjoyed two seasons of BBC's beautifully photographed and written "Hamish Macbeth" with a stunningly good cast including Robert Carlyle and Shirley Henderson. A goodreads reader pointed out to me there was an entire series of books with Hamish, and I relished this one-sit reading! It's an English cozy but veers slightly toward the police procedural genre, as we have crimes investigated not by Miss Marple (although in a way she makes an appearance) but by a real police staff. And in "Village ...more
An Odd1
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
May be most all round dangerous of series - doped drinks, guns, fire, explosion, chase - in the end, the whole village of Stoyre. Real issues of abuse. Romance is pure fun. Plus more silliness elsewhere. Hamish accepts Angela's coffee, quickly adding "black" after "noticing that one of the cats had its head in the milk jug" p 191.

"You'd think the word of a policeman would count for something these days" p 23. Constable Hamish Macbeth 30s p 29 eyes how "sweeping brush marks" p 22 change dusty fl
Mary
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good Hamish Macbeth.
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is something deliciously ironic about a Scottish Macbeth who is completely lacking in ambition. A Macbeth who flees from the spotlight magnetically attracted to his penchant for saving lives.

M.C. Beaton’s Hamish Macbeth is a police officer in a small village in the Highlands of Scotland. His worst fear is that he’ll be promoted and will no longer be able to enjoy the quiet surroundings in which his skills are greatly needed.

In Death of a Village, Macbeth believes something creepy is goin
The Flooze
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another high-profile case for Hamish. His curiosity and pride are some day going to lead him into a promotion he cannot avoid.

It's almost at that point now, as he goes to quite mad lengths to put his superiors off the notion of moving him to Strathbane or Glasgow. I can't imagine what scheme he'll be forced to try next.

It's all his own fault, as this book is full to bursting with cases Hamish quickly solves right under the noses of his superior officers. Maybe instead of having puffed up meetin
C.J. Prince
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it five stars--with a warning.

Hamish changes in this book. He's grumpy. He's rude and because of his initial relationship with Priscilla, he now tars the entire gender with the same brush which edges on misogyny. Really? Hamish? Lanky, easy going Hamish Macbeth?

I waited for the shift but it didn't happen. I'm actually hesitant to pick up the next book and may have to skip out of Scotland for a bit before I read that he's about to become a irrascible ol' Highlander.

Aside from that, the
Michelle
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
I wish there were half stars. I would give this 2.5. This story was very cute, reminded me of the old fashioned mystery stories that my aunt used to love reading. I really do like Hamish Macbeth, the characters he interacts with, and the descriptions of the quaint Scottish villages in which the story took place. I felt as though there were almost too many stories within the story- which mystery are you trying to solve- the insurance fraud, the old folks' home, the pirates? I was expecting a bit ...more
Sallee
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another delightful Hamish Macbeth mystery. The author is able to make villages and hamlets and their people come to life with all their quirkiness and amusing personality traits. Poor Hamish just doesn't have a clue when it comes to the ladies but there are plenty of gossips who think he is a real ladies man. I love reading how the author describes the sea in each mystery...it makes one want to hear the crash of waves and feel the spray and force of the wind for themselves.
Dawn
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent installment of the Hamish Macbeth series. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Graham Malcom. The narrator was a joy to listen to as he did the character of Hamish justice. This book has several mini mysteries as well as the overarching mystery to keep the reader or listener engaged throughout.
Joan
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I DO so love reading about Hamish Macbeth, the gangling Scottish policeman who finds it easier to solve crimes than to avoid promotion. This series is always a fun read with well-developed characters. This one was, perhaps a little bit more grim than some of the otheres I've read due to a sub-plot about a home for the elderly, but, all in all, the usual exciting romp through the Highlands.
Badseedgirl
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read-in
This is one of the best books in this series so far. Although It is another wacky highland adventure, I just loved the little bit of darkness that crept into the book. I hope this is indicative of how the series will be developing.
WyrmbergSabrina
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining entry in the Hamish MacBeth series.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; 9 DECEMBER 2018
Narrator: Graeme Malcolm

I'm so addicted to this series! I try listening to another genre but before long I'm back to Hamish. This installment was hugely enjoyable - hardly a boring moment. The only negative is that I miss Shaun Grindell's narrating. He makes those Highlanders come alive with his Scottish brogue and I can always tell when it's Hamish speaking. Graeme Malcolm, on the other hand, employs an English accent for everyone and I had a hard time, in so
Sheila
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: wom
An entire village is hiding something.
Sarah Booth
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In EVERY book we are told that Hamish’s accent gets more sibilant when he was stressed or excited. In this book (and others) I believe she told us it no less than three time. We get it! Editor, do your job!
Donna
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to this wonderful series about a Scottish policeman who keeps solving major crimes then has to try very hard to not be promoted from the town he loves. Great lots and characters.
Tania
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish Macbeth is a reluctant hero in M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth Mysteries. In this installment, his attention is caught by some strange goings-on in one of the local villages on his patrol. As he begins to poke around, other strange events begin to unfold in the area. Wondering if they are connected by more than just chance, Macbeth soon finds himself unbroiled in one dangerous situation after another. Casualties abound, and Macbeth can only hope to protect those most dear to him, including h ...more
Deb
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hamish MacBeth is busier and more successful (at least in his police work) than ever. He solves an insurance fraud, a series of nursing home murders, finds a missing child, and discovers the secret the village of Stoyre is hiding. He even performs a daring rescue! And yet as the most unambitious policeman in history, he also manages to avoid the dreaded promotion. Alas! He is much less successful in love, and despite his growing attraction to Elspeth, his inability to communicate with her, and v ...more
Hanley5545 Hanley
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hamish is a cluck when it comes to the ladies but they too are close to him in confused urges and short tempers,bushes of their own to beat around, as well....too.
This story was tolerably interesting in how it fits into the overall sequence canon at a rather key spot wherein his declining motivations and ambitions picture are bogged up and down but when the range of crimes and adventures seem to pop up at every turn on every coast and with violence, explosions and dreadful misadventures. These s
Peter Barr
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death of a Village is another of the Hamish Macbeth mysteries by M.C.Beaton. Hamish is a constable in a small village in Scotland. He has a small croft and the his job as a peace officer is only troublesome in that his success may lead to promotions which would force him to leave the village of Lochdubh. This story includes a couple of murders, a house being blown up, an entire village acting oddly and a hurricane. There was more but I won't give it away. It gets better as the story goes along a ...more
Kay
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one had an apocalyptic aspect to it, and an old "pirate" mystery, and some derring-do by Hamish. Also, it's from 2003 but some sentences resonate in 2017: "The way propaganda works, as every schoolboy knows,is that if you say the same thing over and over again, lie or not, people begin to believe it." And, "The world will move on,and Stoyre will be forgotten. Isn't it sad that we only get upset abut nasty things happening to people and places if television decides we should?"
JZ
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M.C. Beaton has really blossomed as she's written this series, and this is a very good one. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, although the 'mysterious' thing was a little overdone, but the relationships between the people had me laughing out loud more than once, and there was even a little gore in this one. If you're not a fan already, you might want to start sooner in the series to truly appreciate the humor of the relationship between Hamish and Elspeth, and the last chapter is hilarious.
Sue
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was quite interesting. It started out as a series of seemingly random cases being worked and solved by Hamish with the assistance of his new friend, Elspeth, the local reporter and astrologer. They were all interesting and I like these books for the character development and fun surrounding cast as well as the mystery, so it was all fine. But then it started twisting into a larger scenario that ended up quite satisfying with some danger and mayhem. So fun to listen to this one.
Alan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gasp! A nearby village in the Scottish Highlands seems even more dour and puritanical than normal in this Hamish Macbeth novel!! Plenty of what’s good about these novels - bad-tempered bosses, gossipy villagers, romance problems, and Hamish’s unerring sense for solving a mystery. Best of all, no sermons by MC Beaton about all the things she hates!
Kristensilvermoore
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite Hamish Macbeth to date! Unlike Agatha Raisin, I feel like this series is getting better. I love the introduction of Elspeth as a love interest. It makes me want to keep reading, as I was so bored with the other one. (I think I’ve blocked out her name.) With all the action and heroics, this one would make a great movie!
Karen
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alas, Hamish has ceased to be charming in this book. Luckily, other characters pick up the slack, and finally endear themselves to me. And, also, luckily, there is not a repeat of the Towser incident.

This book was a bit all over the place, and yet it still kind of worked. Maybe because life in a village can be a bit all over the place, and still kind of work.
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Vengeance (Lew Fonesca, #1)
  • Maigret on the Defensive
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Death in Sardinia (Inspector Bordelli #3)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
“Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are, and what they ought to be. —William Hazlitt” 2 likes