Start by marking “Death of a Bore (Hamish Macbeth, #20)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Bore (Hamish Macbeth, #20)

Death of a Bore (Hamish Macbeth #20)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  3,438 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
From the author of the Agatha Raisin television series...DEATH OF A BORE: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery Minor writer John Heppel has a problem--he's a consummate bore. When he's found dead in his cottage, there are plenty of suspects. But surely boredom shouldn't be cause for murder, or so thinks Constable Hamish Macbeth.
Published January 1st 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published February 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Bore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Bore

The Flooze
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
These villagers of Lochdubh will one day drive Hamish completely mad. The lengths he's willing to go to to protect them is sometimes shocking - and yet they always forget what he's done for them soon after. Tut tut!

Another murder involving a writer and a television show. We're treading similar ground to that of Death of a Screenwriter, but this time it's the original author who turns up dead.

Before his demise, he manages to rile up the villagers. This provides for some great comedic moments, as
Kelsey Hanson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Karen
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely HOOKED on this series. The author's wit and humor are just what I love--clever and subtle. I listened to this book on tape and the actor who reads it is wonderful! He knows just how to interpret the lines and has all the accents perfect. The story is the death of an author who moves to a small town in northern Scotland. Hamish Macbeth is the local "bobby" who is actually a great detective who doesn't want to "move up" in his career, but enjoys looking out for the locals in the to ...more
Kristen
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-fluffy-reads
I listened to this book on CD and I think the story was definitely enhanced by having a narrator who could do the Scottish accent as it really makes you feel like you are "there" in the story with the characters.

Hamish MacBeth, the local constable in a tiny Scottish highlands village (which I am not going to even ATTEMPT to spell) must investigate the murder of an obnoxious author who had taken up residence in the village, offered classes to the locals on how to get published, and then proceeded
Kay
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another cozy Hamish mystery on the shores of the loch, with all the town characters we love--and the great characterizations of the, like of the vicar's wife, Mrs. Wellington: "He could not imagine Mrs Wellington out of her tweeds. He sometimes wondered madly if she wore a tweed nightgown." We also get a little history of Sutherland, and why it is so empty--early in the 19th century the Duke really messed things up. Very interesting plot twist in this one, with authors and theater people mixing ...more
Samantha
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is a difficult review because none of the star ratings work for me here. I was suspicious of the series because of all the "anglophile" names - Beaton, Agatha and Macbeth. Not that there aren't lots of Agatha's and Mr Macbeth's in the world but it seemed a little contrived.
Anyhow the story line is adequate and there are some very interesting character developments but I can't help but feel that M.C Beaton doesn't really know how to write men. There are all these feminine roles and somehow t
Mary
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I saw this book in a Little Free Library, so since I've heard of the Hamish Macbeth character, I thought I'd pick this one up when I traded in one of my previously-read books. I wasn't really impressed.

I like the character of Hamish Macbeth and his relationship with Lugs the dog. However, all of the female characters are treated pretty badly and there isn't really a likable one except maybe Elspeth. I'll probably give this character one more chance, though, because I liked him.
Kathy England
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hamish Macbeth murder mystery set in the Scottish Highlands. This one let me down a little. The author repeated herself several times, and explanations were sometimes out of place. It was almost like the author wasn't paying attention while she wrote, or someone else wrote it, taking parts of her former books. There was plenty of deja vu in this book.
Kate Stark
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little sad that I'm getting to the end of the Elkton library's Hamish Macbeth audiobooks. I have never read any of them in print format, but it looks like I will have to start.
Selah Pike
Beaton pokes fun at TV (again). This book got me through a bad headache and I am grateful.
Christen
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
In which men do the real work and get all the credit and women get the coffee (or kidnapped). Also, random cat.
Linda
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, fiction
Another great and funny little read.
Jamie
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 20th in the Hamish Macbeth series, John Heppel moves to Constable Macbeth's peaceful Scottish village and immediately starts collecting enemies. So impressed with his own magnificence he belittles and humiliates his way through life until it comes to a sudden and puzzling end. With such a long list of suspects, Constable Macbeth has his work cut out for him.

I can't decided if the sexism in the book is played for comedy about sexism, or comedy about women. The characters are either obnoxio
Sarah Morgan
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Perhaps M C Beaton should sign up for a creative writing course like in the book and with more discerning critics than her publishers. To me this book seemed too much a mash up of Death Of A Scriptwriter and Death Of A Poison Pen with the deaths and motives.

The killer was also too easy to spot since Hamish's instincts were bound to be right and rule out around 98% of the suspects. The drugs running has been done before and the red herring around the cigarette smuggling seemed too much of an irr
Dail Sams
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a fairly well-known author who has settled in the Highlands offers writing classes to the local population, Macbeth is convinced that no one will be interested. But much to his surprise, a large number of his Lochdubh friends sign up for the class, only to be disappointed by the author's boring lectures. When the writing students insist that he critique their writing, he does so with many a rude and belittling comment, angering the entire town. When the author ends up murdered soon after, H ...more
Marsha
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hamish Macbeth is a policeman in his thirties going on seventy. He loves his life and the village he lives in, so when an author announces he's going to give a writing class, Macbeth doesn't think anyone will pay for that kind of a course. He's taken aback when almost everyone in town signs up for it.
Unfortunately, the author is a bore who only wants to talk about himself and belittle everyone else's writing attempt, it's no wonder he's found dead.
Hamish must try to solve the crime and navigate
Marie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I just love the Hamish Macbeth mysteries. The author, M. C. Beaton, makes interesting and insightful observations of human nature through her characters. I love this series because it's not filled with detailed descriptions of horrible violence, gratuitous sex, etc. I have become tired of reading stories that crawl inside the mind of a psychopath. Honestly, I really don't care to know the inside of the mind of a psychopath.

Peter Barr
This is the 21st in the Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton. Macbeth is a police constable in a Highland Scotland village of Lochdubh with a homicide rate that would make most American cities pale in comparison. Throughout this edition, Macbeth works had at maintaining his small police station and solving a double homicide while warding off relationships good and bad. The series is interesting and the characters and scenery are attractive.
Sue
When a rude and overbearing writer comes to the area and offers writing classes, Hamish fears there will be trouble. And there's tons when the writer is murdered. Hamish has to decide whether it was an outraged villager, someone from his past, or a member of the television crew filming one of his scripts. There is danger around every corner but his Highland intuition won't fail him now. A fun listen.
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent mystery

The Hamish Macbeth series delivers mysteries reminiscent of the classical style of Agatha Christie. The village of Lochdubh is filled with picturesque scenery and quaint characters. Hamish, himself, displays a good natured charm and keen intelligence. If you're looking for a solid, traditional mystery, you've found it.
Judy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sure, it's understandable that you don't want to spend quality time with a boring individual, but is eliminating a bore from society a defense for murder? The question becomes more intriguing when Hamish MacBeth is surprised by the number of suspects he must consider in solving the mystery.
Deb
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Poor Hamish. Another woman has set her cap at him, he's not sure if he's made the right decision about Elspeth, and now an inspector has designs on him too. In between, he finds the perpetrator of two murders, rescues Lugs from a dognapper, and befriends a wild cat. I really enjoy this series!
Kati Lillemets
Järjekordne Hamish'i raamat. Sel suvel kuidagi ei suuda küla raamatukogust raamatuid leida.
Mõrvariteni jõuab Hamish edukalt, aga oma eraeluga tal nii lihtsalt ei lähe.
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Death of a Bore (Hamish Macbeth, #20)
by M.C. Beaton

from the library
safe for feminists
Soozee
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, the plot twisted and turned, with excellent characters and a great setting. A good, entertaining, 'easy read' series.
Fiction State Of Mind
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
More Hamish goodness
Kristensilvermoore
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jaye
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hamish gets a cat he names Sonsie. Cute name.
Jeanette
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book about my favorite Scottish policeman!
ashley
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Slow read, these are becoming easily predictable. I love the village though. I have a feeling I will finish the series.
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Ringing in Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel #16)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)
  • Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist (Mrs. Pollifax, #13)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Desperate
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions (An Auntie Poldi Adventure)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne Book #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Tears of Dark Water
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)