Start by marking “Disciplines of a Godly Man” as Want to Read:
Disciplines of a Godly Man

Disciplines of a Godly Man

"Discipline is a subject about which the Scriptures say muchâ?"but contemporary authors have been peculiarly silent. Kent Hughes fills a gaping void with this superb volume.â? If there is a spark ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Crossway Books (first published June 30th 1991)

Start your review of Disciplines of a Godly Man
Bill
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Rigorous and relentless! A helpful challenge for me to live up the biblical commands for Christian men across the whole of life. A good mix of cultural commentary, biblical exposition and practical wisdom. At times I wished Mr R. Kent Hughes had mixed a little more gospel encouragement in amidst the brutal exhortations.
Daniel
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: When I originally read this book, it was a book I thought would be beneficial to re-read every 2 years. Well, it's taken me over 4 to come back to it, but it once again was a great challenge, full of practical insight, and covering a broad range of life. About 2/3rd of the way through, it was hard to keep going - perhaps because it offers so much to work on that it feels a bit overwhelming. But, reading it regularly and taking a few things at a time to work on I think is very much ...more
John Boyne
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
R. Kent Hughes' book, Disciplines of a Godly Man, should be required reading for men of all ages and one that is picked up again and reread every few years. Hughes does an excellent job of breaking down the various types of discipline that are severally lacking in masculinity today and provides simple steps to practice to improve yourself and make yourself a more Christ honoring man. Highly recommended!
Matthew Schrock
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good reading, with a lot of "nuggets".
Jeanie
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Christianity, godliness, is far more than a checklist. Being "in Christ" is a relationship, and like all relationships it deserves disciplined maintenance, but never legalistic reduction-ism.

According to Mr. Hughes discipline is everything. In order to lead your family, business, and personal life well, discipline is needed. Disciplined must be developed not as a check list of things to do or where pride leads to self-righteousness but as a way to know and follow the Lord well. Being a wife and
Ty Lukasiewicz
really great book!
Disciplines of a Godly man reaches out and grabs you by the shirt collar, looks directly in your eyes and tells you the Godly truth all men need to hear.

The book is separated int0 different sections, which include relationships, soul, character, ministry and discipline. Each section has multiple topics that relate to the section. All of which speak about disciplines a Godly man and what a Godly man should pursue. Each chapter starts with the hard, failed, truth of humanity
Hudson Christmas
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In today's culture, discipline is an art form that is rarely seen in the modern man. As Kent Hughes explains in the beginning of his book, Disciplines of a Godly Man, in today's culture there is an alarming lack of spiritual leadership in today's evangelical churches. In his book, Kent Hughes seeks to address this problem at its starting point, the area of spiritual discipline for the average Christian man. Through a series of short, yet accurate chapters on a variety of areas that pertain to ...more
Danny Deaubé
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
This book by Kent Hughes, literally changed my life of prayer and and daily scripture reading. It has been over six months since I began reading this book in a men's bible study group. I have prayed and read daily since I began this study, and I have group so much closer to God and the Lord Jesus Christ! I recommend this book on discipline to any man who wants to break out from the norm and truly worship God through a consistent prayer life and and a closer understanding of the word of God.
Bo Cogbill
Good Premise, Awkward Execution

First off, I want to say I hate giving less than three stars. Often authors, especially the qualified ones like Dr. Hughes, dedicate their life to the topics on which they write, and writing anything well is hard, time consuming work, so I don't want a less than average rating to indicate a lack of appreciation for the man.

That being said, a few men in our congregation went through this book together, and I think that's probably the best approach for a few
Chad Duke
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent !
Jeff Short
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipline
Challenging and convicting throughout. Kent Hughes has written an extremely practical book about living the Christian life as a man. I like the challenge he issues to men and the encouragement to holy sweat. We can sit around whining about our "issues" and our "struggles" or we can roll up our sleeves and get to work. Paul would have us to quit ourselves like men and be strong, to put away childish things, and to gird up our loins like men. In other words, get to work.

I realize a book like this
Gregory
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Christian men
Kent Hughes presents an excellent primer for men on living the Christian life. He extends his challenge to all of life, examining how grace-motivated discipline is vital to growth and godliness. Most chapters fall in the formula of "The Discipline of [X:]," and cover topics such as purity, discipline of mind, marriage, parenting, work, giving, witness, and ministry. Acting as a spiritual coach, Hughes lifts up the calls of Scripture, challenging men to be the leaders at home and in the church, ...more
Mike
Aug 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
Every man ought to read a good devotional book from time to time. This book sees the passages about viewing the Christian life as a war, battle, race, athletic event and takes them seriously. He understands the need for men to wake up and realize that being godly is not something that happens to a man without hard, diligent, and focused work. This is one of those books I think men should read every couple of years, just to get their heads and hearts adjusted again.
Byron Morales JR
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, jesus-books
A must read for every Christian man. I hate making blanket statements like this one because we all have our own struggles. This however, speaks to the heart of what matters and how we should live as followers of Christ. I read it every January just to re-orient myself with these practices and discipline.
Reyna
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Order now. Thank us later!
As you all know I like to read my husbands books. My dh R has been part of the Charles Simeon Trust, which conducts expository preaching conferences, R. Kend Huges, the author of this book, is the founder! (in case you dont know) the conferences are available throughout North America and worldwide. Other pastors, I respect recommend that training too. Since he told me it was good material, I didnt hesitate to dive into this book. As you know WE READ A LOT, but I do not
Mark Evans
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kent Hughes is a pastor and a prolific writer. He has been writing books for decades, and he continues to contribute to a popular commentary series. In the introduction to the book Hughes identifies two reasons for the purpose of the book; he writes, “in todays world and church the, disciplined lives are the exception not the rule… men are so much less spiritually inclined and spiritually disciplined than women.” (P.15) Throughout the book it is clear that Hughes maintains his opinion regarding ...more
Shea Schrepf
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Legalism says, 'I will do this thing to gain merit with God,' while discipline says, 'I will do this because I love God and want to please Him.' Legalism is man-centered; discipline is God-centered"

I feel like this sums up the goal and intent of this book. It isn't written from some list of do's and don'ts. It does provide practical advice as to how you can become more Godly and disciplined in the areas of: Purity, Marriage, Fatherhood, Friendship, Mind, Devotion, Prayer, Worship, Integrity,
Kavin Kramer
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is well structured with wise advice and instruction throughout. There were times I felt maybe the presentation was legalistic but it was always rooted in wise council. However, the use of statistics was poorly constructed. Admittedly, this distracts me more than the normal person because I have a background in analytics, but I found the conclusions presented from the statistics to be entirely unfounded. Minus the statistics, I would recommend this book for discipleship and especially to ...more
Josh Broccolo
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Challenging and encouraging. I was surprised by the amount of meat in the book (each chapter feels like Hughes could have written a separate book on the subject) and it's focus on actually doing what the book requires, instead of simply gaining knowledge. The last chapter is basically an action plan. While "man" is in the title, I think women will be challenged by this book as well, so long as they understand the writer's perspective.
Highly recommended for anyone looking to live out their
J.
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disciplines of a Godly Man by R.Kent Hughes is one of the classics of Christian living. This new edition updates the tried and tested book in a way that helps us see more clearly what is already present in the previous addition. Furthermore, this new addition brings new insights and speaks into modern, everchanging culture.

This book is must read for any man who seeks to follow God's Word faithfully.
Jacob Stevens
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book for men looking to live out what it means to be a Godly man. It stresses that it takes work and lots of it. It's a discipline that isn't going to just happen. Hughes covers home life to church life to work life. My only dislike of the book was that some of the practical steps sounded more like rules to follow to be a "good" Christian. I don't think that this was his purpose at all, but some came off that way. This is good read for any man.
Brandon Johnston
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
R. Kent Hughes provides a call to men to mature into the holiness, righteousness, and splendor of Christ. As he writes "Discipline leads to Discipleship", Hughes is encouraging and equipping men to conduct their lives in such ways that reflect obedience to Christ and all that he has commanded. Looking at faith, family, friends, generosity, and the church (to just name a few), Hughes takes us through the different roles and opportunities men have to be disciplined in being faithful.
Todd Bryant
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb...challenging...convicting.

Our men's Sunday School class just read through this book together. I cannot recommend it more. It is greatly challenging--urging men to be mature and complete Christians in all facets of life. Every male Christian needs to read this book. Then, read it again.
Chuck Cova
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an outstanding read. Read one discipline a day for the last 19 days and could easily have spread this out over several months to really focus on learning and applying the lessons. In fact, I'm seriously considering grabbing a couple of guy friends and do that very thing. Already moved the bookmark back to page one...
Paul
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, ministry
Excellent. Read it over a long time, with another guy from church. The penultimate chapter on the discipline of ministry was outstanding, a reminder that we are called to labour hard in ministry, and tiredness is normal. Timely. Helpful.
William
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pros: Some excellent insights and calls to accountability.
Cons: Endnotes instead of footnotes, too many sports metaphors for my taste, WAY too much talk of "spiritual sweat." He is dedicated to making this metaphor work, and it doesn't.
Demetrius Rogers
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Hughes had a good blend of biblical exposition and wonderful anecdotes. Some chapters were better than others. And his appendices at the end were very helpful. I love the author's humble and text centered approach. I'd give this a 3.5 stars.
Bronco Mania
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Great book. It really focused on practical application of getting closer to God rather than just theological or doctrinal knowledge. It was also pretty broad based, so it should work for any Christian denomination. This one will be a keeper to review in the future.
John Rimmer
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful book, but can be a bit overwhelming. Much preferred to the classic "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster, which I found to be a good bit too much like a vague spirituality buffet with a dash of Christianity on the top.
Stuart
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Read the last chapter first ;)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Do More Better: A Practical Guide to Productivity
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Finally Free: Fighting for Purity with the Power of Grace
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • The Attributes of God
  • A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World
R. Kent Hughes (DMin, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is senior pastor emeritus of College Church in Wheaton, Illinois, and a visiting professor of practical theology at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Hughes is also a founder of the Charles Simeon Trust, which conducts expository preaching conferences throughout North America and worldwide. He and his wife, ...more
“If I throw out a boathook from the boat and catch hold of the shore and pull, do I pull the shore to me, or do I pull myself to the shore? Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God.1” 4 likes
“Some fathers exasperate their children by being overly strict and controlling. They need to remember that rearing children is like holding a wet bar of soap — too firm a grasp and it shoots from your hand, too loose a grip and it slides away. A gentle but firm hold keeps you in control.” 3 likes