Start by marking “Disciplines of a Godly Man” as Want to Read:
Disciplines of a Godly Man

Disciplines of a Godly Man

"Discipline is a subject about which the Scriptures say muchâ?"but contemporary authors have been peculiarly silent. Kent Hughes fills a gaping void with this superb volume.â?¦ If there is a spark
Published January 10th 2006 by Crossway (first published June 30th 1991)

Daniel
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: When I originally read this book, it was a book I thought would be beneficial to re-read every 2 years. Well, it's taken me over 4 to come back to it, but it once again was a great challenge, full of practical insight, and covering a broad range of life. About 2/3rd of the way through, it was hard to keep going - perhaps because it offers so much to work on that it feels a bit overwhelming. But, reading it regularly and taking a few things at a time to work on I think is very much merite ...more
Bill
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Rigorous and relentless! A helpful challenge for me to live up the biblical commands for Christian men across the whole of life. A good mix of cultural commentary, biblical exposition and practical wisdom. At times I wished Mr R. Kent Hughes had mixed a little more gospel encouragement in amidst the brutal exhortations.
Matthew Schrock
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good reading, with a lot of "nuggets".
Hudson Christmas
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In today's culture, discipline is an art form that is rarely seen in the modern man. As Kent Hughes explains in the beginning of his book, Disciplines of a Godly Man, in today's culture there is an alarming lack of spiritual leadership in today's evangelical churches. In his book, Kent Hughes seeks to address this problem at its starting point, the area of spiritual discipline for the average Christian man. Through a series of short, yet accurate chapters on a variety of areas that pertain to Ch ...more
Danny Deaubé
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
This book by Kent Hughes, literally changed my life of prayer and and daily scripture reading. It has been over six months since I began reading this book in a men's bible study group. I have prayed and read daily since I began this study, and I have group so much closer to God and the Lord Jesus Christ! I recommend this book on discipline to any man who wants to break out from the norm and truly worship God through a consistent prayer life and and a closer understanding of the word of God.
Jeff Short
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipline
Challenging and convicting throughout. Kent Hughes has written an extremely practical book about living the Christian life as a man. I like the challenge he issues to men and the encouragement to holy sweat. We can sit around whining about our "issues" and our "struggles" or we can roll up our sleeves and get to work. Paul would have us to quit ourselves like men and be strong, to put away childish things, and to gird up our loins like men. In other words, get to work.

I realize a book like this
Gregory
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Christian men
Kent Hughes presents an excellent primer for men on living the Christian life. He extends his challenge to all of life, examining how grace-motivated discipline is vital to growth and godliness. Most chapters fall in the formula of "The Discipline of [X:]," and cover topics such as purity, discipline of mind, marriage, parenting, work, giving, witness, and ministry. Acting as a spiritual coach, Hughes lifts up the calls of Scripture, challenging men to be the leaders at home and in the church, a ...more
Mike
Aug 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
Every man ought to read a good devotional book from time to time. This book sees the passages about viewing the Christian life as a war, battle, race, athletic event and takes them seriously. He understands the need for men to wake up and realize that being godly is not something that happens to a man without hard, diligent, and focused work. This is one of those books I think men should read every couple of years, just to get their heads and hearts adjusted again.
Rick Owens
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simply excellent!
Mark Evans
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kent Hughes is a pastor and a prolific writer. He has been writing books for decades, and he continues to contribute to a popular commentary series. In the introduction to the book Hughes identifies two reasons for the purpose of the book; he writes, “in todays world and church the, disciplined lives are the exception not the rule… men are so much less spiritually inclined and spiritually disciplined than women.” (P.15) Throughout the book it is clear that Hughes maintains his opinion regarding ...more
Shea Schrepf
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Legalism says, 'I will do this thing to gain merit with God,' while discipline says, 'I will do this because I love God and want to please Him.' Legalism is man-centered; discipline is God-centered"

I feel like this sums up the goal and intent of this book. It isn't written from some list of do's and don'ts. It does provide practical advice as to how you can become more Godly and disciplined in the areas of: Purity, Marriage, Fatherhood, Friendship, Mind, Devotion, Prayer, Worship, Integrity, To
Josh Broccolo
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Challenging and encouraging. I was surprised by the amount of meat in the book (each chapter feels like Hughes could have written a separate book on the subject) and it's focus on actually doing what the book requires, instead of simply gaining knowledge. The last chapter is basically an action plan. While "man" is in the title, I think women will be challenged by this book as well, so long as they understand the writer's perspective.
Highly recommended for anyone looking to live out their Chris
Brandon Johnston
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
R. Kent Hughes provides a call to men to mature into the holiness, righteousness, and splendor of Christ. As he writes "Discipline leads to Discipleship", Hughes is encouraging and equipping men to conduct their lives in such ways that reflect obedience to Christ and all that he has commanded. Looking at faith, family, friends, generosity, and the church (to just name a few), Hughes takes us through the different roles and opportunities men have to be disciplined in being faithful.
Jacob Stevens
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book for men looking to live out what it means to be a Godly man. It stresses that it takes work and lots of it. It's a discipline that isn't going to just happen. Hughes covers home life to church life to work life. My only dislike of the book was that some of the practical steps sounded more like rules to follow to be a "good" Christian. I don't think that this was his purpose at all, but some came off that way. This is good read for any man.
Alonso Angulo
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vida-cristiana
Grandes verdades prácticas y animantes para vivir como hombres de Dios en medio de un mundo con carencia de masculinidad bíblica.

A veces pareciera dar la idea de que todo crecimiento espiritual depende solo de mi, sin embargo, dentro de su contexto nos hace entender que son los esfuerzos en la gracia.
Todd Bryant
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb...challenging...convicting.

Our men's Sunday School class just read through this book together. I cannot recommend it more. It is greatly challenging--urging men to be mature and complete Christians in all facets of life. Every male Christian needs to read this book. Then, read it again.
John Rimmer
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful book, but can be a bit overwhelming. Much preferred to the classic "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster, which I found to be a good bit too much like a vague spirituality buffet with a dash of Christianity on the top.
William
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pros: Some excellent insights and calls to accountability.
Cons: Endnotes instead of footnotes, too many sports metaphors for my taste, WAY too much talk of "spiritual sweat." He is dedicated to making this metaphor work, and it doesn't.
Bronco Mania
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Great book. It really focused on practical application of getting closer to God rather than just theological or doctrinal knowledge. It was also pretty broad based, so it should work for any Christian denomination. This one will be a keeper to review in the future.
John Muriango
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really great must read book, will definitely recommend it to anyone who truly wants to grow more like Christ.
Seth
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very good very profitable book. I certainly recommend it. Although a few things I did not agree with much was thought provoking and helpful.
Tyler Hagen
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A bit old-fashioned and a tad narrow-minded. But still goof solid advice.
Chrys Jones
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on disciplines... Super challenging and encouraging!
Mike McDonald
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book, though a bit dated in some of the references. A good reminder that sanctification and mortification of sin requires effort, while balancing the need for grace in salvation.
James Campbell
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read through it with some guys at my church. Very helpful, and good, thought provoking questions at the end of each chapter
Caleb Hunter
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Content-wise this book is good, however, the writing is kinda choppy and doesn’t always flow in complete thoughts.
Good resource for mentoring though.
Will Rodrguez
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great small group read!!! It's not a book to just read but to apply the disciplines into your life! I will be reading it in the future!
Michael Kidd
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my second te through Hughes' book on discipline. I've enjoyed it both times.
J.K. Turner
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-challenge
My Rating - Must Read

Level - Fairly easy read, moderate length

Summary
As the title implies, this is a book about disciplines for men who are trying to live a 'Godly' life. After the introduction Hughes goes into the 17 disciplines he has identified as needed for men. He breaks these into four broad categories -

Relationships - which he identifies as the disciplines of purity, marriage, fatherhood, and friendship. He uses the story of David to illustrate the importance of purity. Originally written
Paul Herriott
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I try to make a yearly practice of reading a book on Christian disciplines, which I guess is a discipline in itself. I have seen this book often and was delighted to be challenged as a male in so many ways that biblically masculine. There were not any calls for my wild heart, just a plea for men of God to be found yearning for God and living for Him.
Recommended for all Christian Men.
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • Call to Spiritual Reformation
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • The Trellis and the Vine
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • What Every Man Wishes His Father Had Told Him
R. Kent Hughes (DMin, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is senior pastor emeritus of College Church in Wheaton, Illinois, and a visiting professor of practical theology at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Hughes is also a founder of the Charles Simeon Trust, which conducts expository preaching conferences throughout North America and worldwide. He and his wife, Ba ...more
“If I throw out a boathook from the boat and catch hold of the shore and pull, do I pull the shore to me, or do I pull myself to the shore? Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God.1” 4 likes
“Some fathers exasperate their children by being overly strict and controlling. They need to remember that rearing children is like holding a wet bar of soap — too firm a grasp and it shoots from your hand, too loose a grip and it slides away. A gentle but firm hold keeps you in control.” 3 likes