Start by marking “Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)

Ruin and Rising

(The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  108,179 ratings  ·  14,415 reviews
The Darkling gently folded me in his arms. "I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no other shelter but me."

For Alina, time is running out. To destroy the Darkling, she must find the elusive firebird, and she must find it soon.

The Darkling's power is growing. And so is his connection to Alina. Can Alina escape the hold he has over her? Does
Published June 4th 2015 by Hachette Children's Group (first published June 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ruin and Rising, please sign up.
Sarah YES. Why do people think this was a satisfying ending? It was cliched, predictable and worse - it's mediocrity left me agitated.
I wish the author…more
I wish the author would have come up with an ending that was .. darker and less predictable. A more unconventional happy ending or even an open ending would have been better.(less)
gab !! (foreverflippingpages)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  108,179 ratings  ·  14,415 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I AM SO PISSED. I AM SO PISSED.

Please allow me the indulgence of using an extended metaphor to describe this series.

The first book is the first stages of love. It's not true love, but infatuation. You are ensnared by his looks, enamored by everything he does. His quirks are adorable. His faults are overlooked because it's a part of who he is. It's part of what makes him special. So what if he has a habit of scratching his ass in public? It's cute.

The second book is the "settling in" stage of the
Wendy Darling
They had an ordinary life, full of ordinary things--if love can ever be called that.

Oh, and Leigh Bardugo talked to me about the glorious, glorious food of the Grisha trilogy here during this fairy tale lunch: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...
Emma Giordano
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
la la la la la tis impossible for me to say anything coherent about the Grisha trilogy because I love it so much. What a wonderful conclusion. I'm so happy I finally continued with this series this year.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
That was an interesting conclusion to the trilogy. I can't say I'm super satisfied with how things came together, but it was still enjoyable! My main gripe with this series is it's lack of plot. I wanted more from the story, all three books feel like this build up to the ending, but nothing happens during those build up moments. (obviously this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me!)
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Holy shit. This was brilliant and terrible and I have so many feels I can't even begin to describe.

Ok ok, listen. I know there are so many conflicting reviews on this book. But as for me? I literally could not choose how I wanted it to end.

I know, I might be a terrible person but I was totally OK with all three ending scenarios. At the beginning of this book, I was literally rooting for Alina to save the Darkling (or turn dark herself), Alina with Nikolai, and Alina and Mal. Ugh, I need all thr
Aqsa

June 2019 update:

everybody stop liking this review i keep getting messages from ppl telling me why i thot this way like girl??? 😂 enough!!! let it rest already lol im tired

_____________________________

UPDATE Jan 2019:
i swear the more years pass- the more embarrassing this review gets lmao.

august 2018 update:

I have to admit, while Acomaf beat this ^ trash book in regards to storytelling, Acowar (Acotar #3) kinda sucked a lot so like... tread carefully and if anything- enjoy Acomaf only because I
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”They will starve for you, lay down their lives and their children’s lives for you. They will make war without fear and die rejoicing. There is no greater power than faith, and there will be no greater army than one driven by it.”

Three books and I still hate the Apparat! *lol* Guess that says enough about him and his despicable character. XD Despite everything he unfortunately has a point though. Now that Alina has become Sankta Alina for so many people they think that she’s the answer to all t
Katerina
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
*5 “you might make me a better man” stars*

Agony. Pain. Tears. Heartbreak. Acceptance. This is the way the Grisha trilogy ends.

A masterpiece. A gem. Leigh Bardugo gave everything she had in this grand finale. I'm numb and empty inside. I want to sit in silence and contemplate what happened and figure out the reasons why. I came to the conclusion that things were meant to end this way from the start. A
Maria
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.4/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

“Na razrusha'ya. I am not ruined. E'ya razrushost. I am ruination.”

Look, I ain't gonna lie, I finished this book two weeks ago but hadn't had the time to write a good review about it (fuck you work) so I left it till this moment. And since then, because I'm a fucking goldfish, I don't remember shit. I delve into so many new stories each week, whether they may be tv shows, movies and books (obvs) that my mind is at its full capacity. My mind is 1tb and the fucking info is 587838tb
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

Then he cupped my cheek, his thumb tracing my lip."You are all I've ever wanted," he said. "You are the whole of my heart.”

^My face right now.

Let me preface this roast by stating-- my problem isn’t the love triangle. (If you can even call it that.) I’m not upset things didn’t turn out like I wanted, I’m frustrated the conclusion was a hot mess of nonexistent plot and unwinding character development. (Though I do obviously hate one of the love interests with all of my soul
Ashley
(view spoiler)
Chelsea Humphrey
Guys, I had completely forgotten how much this final installment means to me. I feel like I somehow appreciated it even more by listening as a reread; I wasn't worried about what was going to happen and was able to soak up every detail. Ruin and Rising will remain one of the most cherished books I've ever read, and I'm looking forward to finding out if the SoC duology works out as well to reread as audiobooks.

******************

This book was everything. 💔🖤💔🖤💔🖤 I'm so emotional right now *SOBS UN
Elise (TheBookishActress)
There’s a repeated problem within this novel where the time skips. The first book ends with the leads off to a new adventure. That new adventure is compromised and they are in the same old situation as before the finale less than twenty pages in. The second book ends with the lead characters in a bad situation. They are out of that bad situation less than forty pages into this book. It’s a really weird element and makes this story feel really unpolished.

Now, you might be thinking, Elise, I love
C.G. Drews
Read 2 | March 2019

I love rereading books and that onslaught of new and old feels. :') Also I'm so so glad I reread this because heck if I remembered even 15% which would've made King of Scars really awkward. (Also shout out to the fact that Nikolai got CALLED King of Scars in this on!! I wonder if the author planned it right from 2014 when she first wrote this?! We stan a foreshadowing queen.)

I definitely felt different things for this book than the first time. This time (1) I do think Mal/Alin
Melanie

1.) Shadow and Bone ★★★★★
2.) Siege and Storm ★★★

This book was a whole lot of ruin and not enough rising.

This review is going to have mild spoilers, especially with information about Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm, so please proceed with caution if you haven't read this trilogy.

Moral of this story:
If you want the super hot guy you've been fantasizing about for years, make sure you never show that you can be more powerful than him in any aspect of your life.

Mal wanted her powerless and he
Andreea Pop
REVIEW:

Actual rating: 3.5 Stars

So. I am conflicted. I initially gave Ruin And Rising 4 stars. After like half an hour of deliberating and second-guessing my rating, I switched it to 3 stars. If you'll ask me in a week, I'll probably say it was a 4 star read. So to be honest, I think it's a 3.5 from me. There are several reasons why I did this to the last book of one of my favorite series EVER and I'm gonna complain about every one of them, so if I start writing in CAPS, please understand that I'
Kiki
Dorreh
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm like a bubble of explosive happiness right now! That was incredibly perfect I can't really find the proper words!!!

But I'll try to anyways...........

"What two things are infinite? The universe and the greed of men."

This little point emphasized so much throughout this series. I adored every moment I spent reading this series. Although in my own experience I always love the first book in a series the most, because everything is so new and fresh. There is a certain giddiness associated with get
Sofs
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
~Poppy~
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You are all I’ve ever wanted,” he said. “You are the whole of my heart.”

“He leaned against the window, and the gilded frame came into sharp focus. “Do you think it would be any different with your tracker beside you? With that Lantsov pup?”
“Yes,” I said simply.
“Because you would be the strong one?”
“Because they’re better men than you.”
“You might make me a better man.”
“And you might make me a monster.”

I really wanted to give 5 stars.I did! But from the beginning of the book until the middle it
Demi
Moral of the story: A woman should never show more strength and power than her boyfriend. Ladies, you must give up everything so you can be with your man.

The end.

....

Also, fuck any defense for this ending. The fucking title is "Ruin and Rising", and by naming the book this, Leigh Bardugo completely misled everyone into believing this book would be something its not.

Read this if you like heavily contrived romance that the actual plot suffers for.
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
THIS SERIES IS BEING TURNED INTO A NETFLIX SERIES AND HOLY SHIT MY EXCITEMENT CAN NOT BE CONTAINED!!!!!!!

description

“Maybe love was superstition, a prayer we said to keep the truth of loneliness at bay."

Why you should read the Grisha trilogy:

1. The Darkling
7. Mal and Alina
8. Mal
9. MAL
10. Malyen Fucking Oretsev

If you haven't gotten it yet, I'm kind of in love with Mal. And I know some people preferred the other heroes o
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)

Book Stockholm syndrome took me hostage with this series and now that it's over I don't know what to do. I started off this series not caring at all and by the middle of this third book I was sobbing on my kitchen floor. I guess you could say the series got better as it went along. I’m not sure about that but I do know half this book ripped my heart out. The other half pissed me off but if you read my review’s of Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm that isn’t exactly rare for this se
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

Read-Reading: 03/17/19

5/5 Stars

I'm crying while writing this from my phone. This book is everything I remembered and even more, is incredible how an ending can be so tragic and beautiful at the same time, and that perfectly defines this one.❤ I'll always love these characters and they'll always have a very special place in my heart, even Mal lol. The Darkling is one of the best villains/characters I've read, I'd give anything for a little more of his story, Alina is such a strong woman and her g
Dulcie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
T.S. Eliot

What a perfect encapsulation of this miserable conclusion.

I thought I had prepared myself mentally for the worst of scenarios. Even as I prayed desperately for a satisfying ending to my favorite YA series of all time, I readied myself for every possible emotion: For devastation. For despair. For my soul to be raked over the coals until it became a shriveled, blackened thing so that I could never feel happiness again.

I was
Darth J
In this finale, you'll find more incomprehensible nouns.

A previously important phoenix plot that quickly fizzles out.

Some weird girl who used to be beautiful is now ugly muddled body positivity message.

Mal gets a dumb tattoo on his back that roughly translates to "I am become a blade" or some other crap, and it just makes me think of a lot of my millennial friends who have regrettable tats just because they think it makes them look badass.
What they think they look like:

What they actually look l
Natalia
I've never been more disappointed with a book in my life. Probably because I've invested too much of my heart into this story and I expected to get at least something in return. This isn't the worst book out there, but the amount of potential squandered, the idea of what it could have been - it all makes me want to weep. I expected so much more from Leigh, but in the end, it turned out to be just another trope-ridden YA series.

More rant coming later.

***

We have a true cover, and everything is on
Cindy Pham
I actually did not hate the ending or relationship like many people told me I would. I can understand people’s frustrations with the outcome, but I felt like it made sense for the characters and, if I actually cared about them, I would be quite happy for their ending. Unfortunately, I still don’t care for anyone here, and felt like the majority of the story dragged around as we followed a “ragtag team of misfits” consisting of barely developed secondary characters led by bland main characters. N ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, so apparently The Six Of Crows duology are the only two I love to death!

I couldn't decide on my star rating and finally decided on 2 stars. It's just not my thing. So many of my friends love this trilogy and I'm so happy for them. There is nothing like loving a book. =)

I liked and didn't like the ending. I can't say why because of spoilers.

The rest of the book was just mehhhhhh for me. I don't know what it was exactly and it doesn't really matter.

I still love Tolya and Tamar, they were
Sana
This review is mostly gifs bc I just cannot write proper English words and the only English word that I am able to write is the word "fuck" and there is enough of that if you scroll down.

Mal

Alina

The Plot

The Darkling

The Ending
description

If you don't want a whole fuck migraine, don't scroll down. :))

*eye twitches*
*closes book and stares off into the distance*
*takes a deep breath*
*implodes*

Literally trying not to fucking throw my fucking Ipad across the room. FUCK THIS BULL FUCKING SHIT.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
The Grishaverse: Sturmhond/Nikolai (spoilers beware) 181 732 Mar 10, 2019 12:51AM
Who actually wanted Alina to end up with Mal? (spoilers!!!) 56 1213 Feb 18, 2019 06:23PM
Six Of Crows and Grisha Verse Mbti- Who has the same personality as you? 14 66 Feb 09, 2019 10:03PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Ruin and Rising [Nov 10, 2018] 113 56 Jan 29, 2019 02:10PM
Is my understanding of the 3 special amplifiers correct? (Spoilers) 2 18 Jan 28, 2019 01:20PM
HopelessBookAddic...: Ruin and Rising 1 3 Jan 14, 2019 06:33PM
Mal&Alina 2 45 Dec 02, 2018 02:21PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Infinite (Newsoul, #3)
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
  • Unhinged (Splintered, #2)
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse. With over three million copies sold, her Grishaverse spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars—with more to come. (To hear about new releases, tour dates, and giveaways first, sign up for Leigh's newsletter here.) Her short stori ...more

The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
Na razrusha'ya. I am not ruined. E'ya razrushost. I am ruination.” 904 likes
“I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no shelter but mine.” 649 likes