Start by marking “Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape” as Want to Read:
Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape

Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape

(Jack of Fables #1)

Last seen hitchhiking from Hollywood, Jack's now a wayward Fable in the heartland of America. His extreme road stories and encounters with other notorious, renegade Fables are just a few of the situations in store for this fan-favorite character.

Collecting: Jack of Fables 1-5
Published February 28th 2007 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Jack of Fables, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack of Fables, Vol. 1

Joy
Okay, one of you mundy assholes pull over and give me a ride.

This volume starts off right after the Jack events from Volume 6 of Fables. Basically, Jack has nothing but a few million dollars to his name and is banished from Fabletown after breaking a bunch of Fable laws. So he's aimlessly hitchhiking and traveling when suddenly he gets kidnapped. He's then brought to a place called Golden Boughs Retirement Village where "Mr. Revise" sucks the magic from fables to make them like mundies. Cue plot
StoryTellerShannon
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you liked the original FABLE series then you will like this offshoot, especially if you liked the Jack character.

Tale follows Jack after his big incident in the regular series. I won't say what it was to avoid spoilers.

Kewl things about the first book of the JACK series:

1. We get to see a lot of Fable characters make their first appearance, like Alice in Wonderland.

2. We find out what happened to Goldilocks

3. Jack is caught by an evil Fable, who holds many other Fables hostage on a priso
Chad
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every bit as good as Fables. It turns out every fairy tale with someone named Jack in it is all about the same person, Jack of the Tales. Jack is a womanizing, douche bag, conman always looking to strike it rich. Just when his schemes are bout to succeed, his wicked ways come back to bite him in the ass. Some of the characters are self aware about their nature as being in a story and can take a metaphysical twist.

Jack gets snatched up by this group that is looking to make Fables fade away by rem
[Name Redacted]
I like "Fables", but I do not like the character Jack. I had no intention of reading his title, until I discovered that there would be a cross-over. I ordered the first two TPB volumes from eBay, grudgingly, and stopped reading "Fables" at vol. 12 because I intended to read through "Jack of Fables". My lack of enthusiasm for Jack meant that I did not get around to beginning vol. 1 of his series until several months had passed by. Having now read it, I feel I can say "Meh".

It's not that it's a b
Kim Miner Litton
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
I started reading these books because I have come to the section of the Fables volumes that has "The Great Fables Crossover" with these books. Here the crossover did exactly what it was supposed to do, because I had never planned on picking up these books previously. I didn't like Jack that much to begin with. I never once cared what he was doing while the other books were going on. Still, I thought I would give it a shot.

Jack has not evolved as a character at all. He's a womanizing, egomaniac.
Bookishrealm
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update: Here's my full review http://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot.c...

Okay to be honest in order to appreciate this spin-off series you have to like Jack from the original Fable tales. If you don't then this spin off series may not be for you. Jack is rude, arrogant, stubborn, and an all around jack ass, but I find it hilarious so I'll definitely be reading some more of these before I read the 13th volume of Fables.
LibraryCin
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack Horner/Jack the Giant-Killer is a big shot in Hollywood, but when he walks away from it, he is captured and brought to a “retirement home” for Fables. Really, it’s a prison and they aren’t allowed to leave. Jack manages to convince the others to try to escape.

I quite enjoyed this! As with all the Fables graphic novels, the illustrations are amazing. I enjoyed the little gallery at the end of various sketches of some of the characters, as well. I liked the new characters at the prison, the
Quentin Wallace
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was very good, but for whatever reason I didn't like it quite as much as the regular Fables series. So in this volume Jack gets caught by a group that imprisons Fables for whatever reason until their magic is gone and everyone has forgotten them. Not much is said about why this is being done, but as expected Jack was a little more then they were prepared for.
Vasilis Giannopoulos
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It's my second go on this series. I really liked Jack the first time but now, some years later, I found the first story arc less exciting than I remembered. The artwork is still fine but the story and the dialogs failed to keep my attention at some points, while the end seems now a little rushed.
All in all, it's an entairtaining story that could be a little better. If you have read and liked Fables, give a try at Jack too.

PS. the review is based on my reading of the issues #1-5, which are coll
Nancy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/01/2...

Jack the Giant Killer, Little Jack Horner, Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack and Jill, Jack Be Nimble, Jack Frost, and Jack O’Lantern…these are all names that Jack of Fables is known by. As his shirt on the front cover says, ensemble books are for losers, so he now fronts his own story upon his escape from Fabletown. My blogging partner has had only good things to say about the Fables books, so paired with me taking a c
Ariel
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ariel by: Sophia
The choice of Jack as the spin off character for the Fables series is not one I would have made. I found him reasonably amusing in the original series, but in my experience a protagonist you can't like is sort of a problem... and I enjoy Jack as a character, but he's kind of unlikeable as a person. So, while the writing and drawing of this volume was good, it doesn't have the heart of the original series and therefore is nowhere near as compelling. That said, the plot was interesting, Jack's nar ...more
Brendan
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I did like this spinoff and this first entry finds us in the midst of a prison escape. Jack leads a group to escape a mad villain who is trying to rid the world of magic. There were some great introductions but the story lacked that punch, it just ends without any threat. This isn't a strong lead in for the spinoff but the foundation is there for further adventures.
Brooke
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Compared to the main Fables series, this one seems a little fluffier.
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
In my journey to read the "Fables" series, I find it is time to switch over and get myself up-to-date with the "Jack of Fables" series.

I've heard from various corners that "Jack of Fables" is not as good as the original "Fables" series. Personally, Jack was not one of my favourite characters when he was in "Fables" and I didn't miss him when he left. So, I went into this wondering whether I was going to be entertained enough to want to continue the series. The first thing, one sees is that the a
PurplyCookie
"Jack of Fables" is a spin-off of the comic book "Fables", which shows the adventures of Jack Horner after his exile from Fabletown. A preview of the series was shown in Fables #50 and culminated in the publishing of its own issue. If you're an avid reader of the "Fables" series as I am then there are no need for introductions, just a wee bit of recap.

"Jack of Fables: The (Nearly) Great Escape (Volume 1)" collects Issues #1-5 which follows Jack's adventures after his stint in Hollywood where he
The_Mad_Swede
This is the first TPB of the Fables spin off comic Jack of Fables and collects issues # 1–5 of that title. Bill Willingham is here joined by Matthew Sturges on the writing chores and the art is well handled by Tony Akins and Andrew Pepoy. The result is a fun comic, but nowhere near as good as Fables itself. It may be that Sturges writing pulls Willingham (who is continually raising the quality of the stories in Fables) down a notch or two, or it could be that this idea just isn't as good as its ...more
sarah
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
the mention of some of my favorite fables, and the artwork, bumped this up to 2 stars for me. The drawing isnt groundbreaking by any means, not that ive read enough comics to be able to judge. Its just drawn/colored well in my opinion.

It's addmitingly fun for me to see characters from some of my favorite tales wandering around, on the other hand they are nothing like the stories they're taken out of. Which doesnt make it bad, its creative, but the story line is what fails it. The plot is pretty
Jen
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I really like the Fables series of comic books, but I was a little skeptical about a spin-off series featuring only Jack of Fables. I should not have doubted Bill Willingham and crew, though - with Jack of Fables Vol. 1, The (Nearly) Great Escape, they've turned out a light-hearted yet exciting story, picking up with Jack right where the Fables story left him, kicked out of his self-made (with stolen money) movie empire Nimble Pictures and looking for his next adventure. My favorite part of the ...more
Jeff
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jack brings the inovative concept of Fables and blends it with a bit more humor. Jack (from all of those stories featuring a Jack) has left Fabletown behind and has recently lost his Hollywood studio and all the cash that comes with it. This time he finds himself facing a life sentence at Golden Bough Retirement Village where the mysterious Mr. Revise imprisons Fables to void their magic and make them Mundy. Jack, not one to be told what to do, decides to hatch an escape plan. Possibly the best ...more
Jordan
We pick up our story following Jack's ignominious exit from Hollywood back in Homelands. Where once he was on top of the world, now he's on the road. On the other hand, he's more powerful than any other Fable ever thanks to his immensely popular Jack films. Which is exactly why Mr. Revise and his crew at the Golden Boughs Retirement Home want Jack in their care, where he can't do any more damage.... Jack finds himself a prisoner, a bird in a golden cage. Who is Mr. Revise? What are the creepy Ba ...more
Jeff Raymond
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've found, while reading the Fables trades again, that I wasn't a huge Jack fan. Still, I wanted to give Jack of Fables a shot from a completionist standpoint.

What we get here is a fun little prison escape tale combined with some interesting expansion of the world created with Fables. Jack is still as annoyingly obnoxious as ever, but it's easy enough to look past in favor of a fun story.

Overall? I'll be sticking with this for a while, I think. A solid read, a fun spinoff.
Harry Lawrence
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, comics-and-gns
A few reading lists I've seen online recommended that I read this series before continuing past Fables volume 12, so here I am.

Jack is a much better character here than he was in the main Fables series, probably just because the focus is on him so we really get to go inside his head. This series also introduces us to some characters that we were all expecting to see in this series from popular fables, and we discover where some very old characters have been hiding.

Really enjoyed this volume and
Matt
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This spin-off of Fables is a great way to continue the story of Jack. Jack is known as "Jack of the Tales" because of how many different tales have been told about him (for example, Little Jack Horner, Jack B. Nimble, Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack the Giant Killer). I had to give this book 5 stars because it made me appreciate the character more than I had in the other Fable books. I thought he was an OK character in previous stories, but this first collection of "Jack of Fables" put him over the ...more
Josh
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this up because it is a spin off of the awesome Fables series of graphic novels. This first volume of Jack alone was interesting, but lacked the punch of the original Fables. The story was centered on, well Jack, and he didn't really seem like an interesting enough Fable on his own to warrant his own stories without the more pressing issues of the Fable world to deal with. I will probably pick up the next one, but I'm in no hurry to do so.
Christopher
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Willingham is getting into the mechanics of what makes Fables Fables in this first separate Jack book.

I admit that we broke-down and picked this up at least in part to be prepped for the newly released Fables cross-over.

I'll be interested to see if Mr. Revise and the Page sisters remain the big bads of the Jack books or if we're going to get unrelated Jack tales for a while.
J.
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A much funnier series than the regular Fables series, although not *quite* as good. (Although, 'not quite as good' as Fables means pretty stinking good.) Jack is much more likable in this series than he ever was in the main series, and this series seems to open up an entire different set of possibilities with characters like the Pathetic Fallacy and Revise. I can't wait for the character Retcon to show up.
Zeynep Merve
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
First volume of Jack of Fables is good in two ways for me:

1) If you're reading all Fables material in order, Jack of Fables lets you breathe after all those exciting Fables business if you're a bit sick&tired of it.
2) We get to meet a lot of new Fables and witness their relationships with Jack!
Sierra

I'm not a huge fan of Jack, so I wasn't entirely sure why he was the one to get his own spin-off series. It was interesting enough, and I will keep reading them since he is relevant to the overall Fables story arc.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Jack isn't as annoying as I remember, but definitely still annoying. Hoping to see him grow throughout the series. I guess it's time to request volume 2.
Alex
May 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
I don't believe this graphic novel is worth your time. Just stick with Fables. The spin off is no good.
  • House of Mystery, Volume 3: The Space Between
  • Fairest, Volume 4: Of Men and Mice
  • Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • The Authority: The Magnificent Kevin
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 5: Girl in the Box
  • DMZ, Vol. 6: Blood in the Game
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)
  • Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • The Authority, Vol. 3: Earth Inferno and Other Stories
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Jack of Fables (10 books)
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 3: The Bad Prince (Jack of Fables, #3)
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 4: Americana