Start by marking “The Last Leaf” as Want to Read:
The Last Leaf

The Last Leaf

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  3,313 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
Sue and Johnsy are two girlfriends who live together in New York City. When Johnsy becomes sick one winter, she makes up her mind to die when the last leaf falls from the ivy plant growing outside her window. Sue would do anything to help her friend get well, but she is a poor artist. As the winter wind blows and the rain falls, there seems no way to stop the last leaf fro ...more
Published June 1st 1979 by Jamestown Publishers (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Leaf, please sign up.

Sneha Kolluru the doctor informed her that her friend has 1 out of ten chances to live i.e. she cried coz there were very few chances of her frnd living.

Florencia
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florencia by: Aubrey's shelf
"It is the last one," said Johnsy. "I thought it would surely fall during the night...

"Dear, dear!" said Sue, leaning her worn face down to the pillow, "think of me, if you won't think of yourself. What would I do?"

But Johnsy did not answer. The lonesomest thing in all the world is a soul when it is making ready to go on its mysterious, far journey. The fancy seemed to possess her more strongly as one by one the ties that bound her to friendship and to earth were loosed.

A good story. Even thou
Dem
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Faboulus little book that I will certainly try to get a copy of for my library.

I love little stoies like this that have so much meaning in so little pages.

Wonderful and enlightening.

ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬
Bu kitabın doğru edisyon altında olduğunu düşünmemekle birlikte (ben eklemedim, varmış), bendekinin 54 basım olup 14 hikaye olduğunu belirteyim.

İlk defa O. Henry okuyorum ve şu fenomen 'fakir iki sevgilinin birbirlerine hediye almak için, habersiz, biri saçını satıp saat zinciri, öteki saatini sararak fil dişi tarak aldığı o acıklı hikaye'nin aslı bu amcaymış meğersem.

Sohbet havasında, kıssadan hisse havasında, didaktik ve sürprizli sonlarla, sade bir dille yazılmış hikayeler. Hani bu artık inte
Magdalen
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four characters and a few pages that's all it took for O. Henry to write this heart warming, touching, bittersweet short story.
The themes of love, death, sacrifice are found in this short gem. I guess the last leaf symbolizes the last hope of life that people hold on to. It's a beautifully and simply written story.
Sepideh Tafazzoli
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, the message lying behind last leaf’s short story, message that comes through most powerfully is that you should not judge people by their outward appearances or social persona. The story describes the artist that lives beneath, Behrman, as an old drunk who had never found success and hated weakness though he goes out in the middle of a storm to paint a leaf for Johnsy. This self-sacrifice is an interesting point why would he do such a thing earlier in the story he laughed at the i ...more
Mahsa  fanaei
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
این داستان کوتاه رو بارها به شکل ها و زبان های مختلف خوندم و شنیدم و چی می تونم بگم جز اینکع عالی بود؟!
شاهکار برمان و فداکاریش
بله، آدمیزاد برای زندگی کردن و ادامه دادن به امید احتیاج داره؛ حتی یه امید الکی و مصنوعی
Niradhip
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wonderful story, demonstrates the power of hope and belief. The supremacy of faith in life, changes the course of existence altogether. The metaphor of masterpiece is magnificently described. Masterpiece is not something which can be described as a materialistic entity; rather it’s a self-explanatory deed which doesn’t really require any introduction or admiration. Masterpiece would be created automatically when we realize the real purpose of life. I would like to give 3.5 to ‘The Last Leaf’.
Shayan
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
چه شاهکار هنری بزرگ تر از جون کسی رو نجات دادن
همون کاری که جراح ها در سرتاسر دنیا هرروز انحام میدن
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Last Leaf, O. Henry (Editor), Raymond Harris (Editor), Walter Pauk (Editor), Robert J. Pailthorpe (Illustrator)
آقای حسن شهباز این داستان را به زیبایی ترجمه کرده است، هرگزی از یادم نمیرود، استاد شهریار شاعر عاشق نیز این داستان را سروده
مادری بود و دختر و پسری، پسرک از می محبت مست
دختر از غصه ی پدر مسلول، پدرش تازه رفته بود از دست
یک شب آهسته با کنایه طبیب، گفت با مادر این نخواهد رَست
ماه دیگر که از سموم خزان، برگ ها را بود به خاک نشست
صبری ای باغبان که برگ امید، خواهد از شاخه ی حیات گسست
پسر این ر
Brian Yahn
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Last Leaf is one of those short stories where at the end you grin and say, "I see what you did there." Unfortunately, where most of O Henry's works are voice-y and entertaining, this one seems like it's ripped out of a Hemingway collection.
Linda
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this short story in middle school, and it's one of those that I would still think about every once in a while. So, 40 years later, I decided to re-read the tale that stuck with me so tenaciously. Like that last leaf on the tree.

I enjoyed it once again this time around. I didn't remember all the details, and it was fun to rediscover the classic O. Henry irony. I may have to re-read some more, and maybe find some new ones.

And here's a link to it so you can read it for yourself. It will only
Con Bé Ki
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read, ebook, 2016
Hihi, sáng nay tự nhiên thức dậy sớm hơn thường lệ, kiểu chả hiểu vì sao 6 giờ sáng đã tỉnh như sáo trong khi chưa từng có tiền lệ (sáng nào mình cũng nướng ít nhất là 7h30 từ thứ 2 - thứ 7 và 10h sáng CN), mới giả bộ mở cái ứng dụng Ybook lên. Rồi cũng chả hiểu vì sao lại có cuốn Chiếc lá cuối cùng trong đấy, mà lại chỉ có một cuốn duy nhất, chắc là hồi xưa tải về rồi chọn đại một cuốn miễn phí nào đó :D Rồi thì vì độ dài nó có 33 trang nên là lật chắc khoảng tầm 5-7 phút là xong nội dung. Thấy ...more
Shrilaxmi
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
I loved this story. The ending was totally unexpected. I like the way O' Henry personifies pneumonia and describes his characters. The writing is so simple but it teaches you a lot about love and sacrifice. The way humour and tragedy is mixed is exceptional. This story will stay with me forever.
Eti Mishra
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story is really beautiful and one of my favorite short story written by this author.

"The Last Leaf", this story symbolize a lot of different aspects of life;hope, friendship, sacrifice , pessimism, optimism and death.

There were four characters, Johnsy, Sue, doctor, and old Behrman.

Johnsy was a pessimist, while Sue was an optimist. Old Behrman here in this story was a friend , who sacrificed. All three of them were artists.

Old Behrman had never painted a masterpiece, but he said that, one da
Mohsen M.B
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
بین چهارونیم و پنج مرددم! ـ
انقدر داستان قشنگ و جالبیه که حتی اقتباس سروش رضایی از دید طنز هم شاهکار از آب در اومده.ـ
نمیدونم چرا ولی به طرز عجیبی من رو برد به حال و هوای کتاب درخت و برگ
Rao Javed
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
Absolutely beautiful story. Breathtakingly beautiful... I am at my wits end to define the beauty of this story. Hope is a weapon. :O
Lynda Williams
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this story in junior high or earlier (more than 45 years ago), and while I couldn't remember the title or author, the imagery and concept stuck with me all these years. I read the story more than once in my youth, never paying attention to either title or author. I loved the idea of someone being that good a friend, and it was my first exposure to the "theory" of mind over matter, and hope overcoming even disease and death. At least, that's what I took from it.

A friend recently sent me a
Gautam
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A very Unique story with a shocking ,unprecedented twist that changes the whole dimension of the story . Until the culmination of the story , it was hanging around an eerie fancy debating in mind whether the last leaf that apparently dictates johnsy's life (an abstarct mind-woven concept by an ill-stricken mind) would fall-off or not . The Shocking twist when unveiled adds lot of substance and showcases the ingeniousness of Henry.

4 stars on 5 !

-gautam
Darkiknowwell
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I simply loved this story. Not only was it magical, but thought provoking too. The lesbian subtext was portrayed really well, and the humanity of the story was uplifting. "The Last Leaf" is a must read for everyone and is an excellent introduction to O. Henry. Can't wait to read "The Gift of the Magi" and his other stories!
Rezvan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عالی بود
Perihan
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Hayret ! Bütün gece devam eden yağmur ve şiddetli rüzgara rağmen, dalda bir tek yaprak kalmış. Yerden 5,6 metre yükseklikte, bir dala mucizevi olarak asılı kalmış..."

Dikkat Spoiler!

Evet bu hikaye çoğunuza tanıdık gelecek, bu hikayede çok ciddi hasta olan ve pencerenin önündeki sarmaşık yapraklarının tamamının döküldüğünde öleceğine inanan ,genç bir bayan ve bir de aşağı katta yaşayan , yaşlı yetenekli bir ressam var. Yağmurlu ve fırtınalı bir gün sonrası o ressam , zatüreden ölür ve kız sabah o
Lnaz Izd
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
Now that I had the chance to go through the story again, I could still see signs of the old feelings I had toward the story. Like I have not aged since the last time I touched the passage with the profundity of my soul and heart. Impressions, personifications and words chosen to describe every detail in the story gets you attached so artistically that you can see yourself among the people in the story, among their conversations. You can be Sue , worried about Johnsy, the best thing you have in y ...more
Sumati
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
O'Henry has never failed to evoke my emotions...never!!!! Stories are short but heart quenching....depth is not bound to pages, it can be achieved in few lines as well.
The Gift of Magi was my first book of O'Henry's. I was in school when i read it and till today the story lingers in my memory.That is the power of his writing! I have since read many of his works and they have left their impression on me as well. The ironical twists narrated by each story is commendable.
Zainab Alrifai
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
يااااه والله كانت أيام
درست هالقصة بمادة short stories
بالجامعة وكان مفروض اشرحها للبنات
تأثرت فيها كثير
جميلة جدا
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
I'd read this sometime years ago... Reread it now and it's all the more glorious. :)
Mallika Soni
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
It was cute. I have seen Lootera, adaptation of this story. Its written well and then O Henry and his Magi-c and charm. Can be read once and the satisfaction will last.
Aditi Sharma
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this story after I came across an article on the listing of best short-stories. And "The Last Leaf" by O. Henry was one of them.

Before I could even start to admire the story, the structure of the first sentence took hold of me. What makes a short-story stand out?- a brilliant starting sentence or paragraph and a satisfying end. A novel might need not to have either of these, definitely not the former of two. But a short-story, I believe, does.

This was the starting sentence- In a little di
Faizan
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best story i read in my school.

A story of negative and positive thoughts which also indicate that they are changeable if we really want to, with help of right kind.
It is not, well, technically a review but a description of what i see in the book.

Two Girls. Friends, One suffers from pneumonia. She is sure that when all leaf of vine hanging on the window would fall, she will die. She was holding on leaves. There was a painter, always angry. Waiting to painting a master piece of his lif
Marat M. Yavrumyan
Առաջին Օ. Հենրին էր կամ Օ՛Հենրին։ Պատմվածքների մի մասը 1960-ականների թարգմանություն էր, ռուսերենից, մյուսը՝ վերջին տարիների, անգլերենից։ Սովետական տարիների թարգմանությունները, կաղում էին, մեղմ ասած, ափսոս, իհարկե։ Վերջինները, որակով են, շատ։ Իսկ բուն պատմվածքները - ինչ որ շունչ կա դրանց մեջ, որ թեթևություն, հրճվանք, ուրախություն ու դրա հետ նաև փիլիսոփայություն է տալիս։ Մի երկու պատմվածքից հետո արդեն գիտես, թե մյուսներում ինչ հանգուցալուծում է լինելու ու ինչպես է լինելու (շատ կտրուկ, երկու բառով, ...more
James Piehl
Jul 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a peice of crap! I hated this book so much! I want to beat up the author for wasting my time! I had to read this book for a high school class over the summer and let me tell you, I have never been this dissapointed with anything this much in my entire life! And I know someone out there is gonna be pissed because there were a ton of philosophical metaphors that I didn't see, but I don't care! It was so boring and pointless that it made me ponder the meaning of life, because if this junk is w ...more
  • Going for a Beer
  • The Open Window
  • Խաչագողի Հիշատակարանը, Khatchagoghi Hishatakarana (Diary Of A Cross-Stealer)
  • Ես և նա, (Yes yev Na) (She and I)
  • Անլռելի Զանգակատուն
  • The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade
  • ჯაყოს ხიზნები
  • Retreat Without Song
  • The Bet and Other Stories
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • კაცი, რომელსაც ლიტერატურა ძლიერ უყვარდა
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in his uncle's d
More about O. Henry...
“Greenwich Village... the village of low rents and high arts.” 16 likes
“They had met at the table d'hôte of an Eighth Street "Delmonico's," and found their tastes in art, chicory salad and bishop sleeves so congenial that the joint studio resulted.” 1 likes