Start by marking “Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons” as Want to Read:
Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons

Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons

(Fables (Collected Editions) #5)

Winner of Fourteen Eisner Awards

Written on the wind.
With the Battle of Fabletown won, and the surrounding city of New York none the wiser, the Fables have gained a little time for rebuilding and reflection - in between interrogation of the Adversary's agent and the anticipation of Snow White's impending motherhood.

For Bigby Wolf, the father of her soon-to-be newborns, tha
Paperback, Trade, 166 pages
Published April 30th 2005 by Vertigo (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables, Vol. 5

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This book was a very important volume in the series in relation to the Snow/Bigby storyline. I gave it five stars because the storytelling is really awesome. I was really surprised at the direction Willingham took with their offspring. It totally makes sense. There is some angst associated with the situation because things aren't pointing towards a happy ever after so far for a couple who is starting to become one of my mega ships, especially in comic books. I just love the heck out of both Snow ...more
Celise
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I used to dismiss graphic novels/comics as something I could never be remotely interested in. I would have missed out on this amazing world with these amazing characters if I'd kept up like that. Ugh it's just such a cool concept.

This felt like a really important installment in the series. I didn't like the last volume too much, but this one was back with the emotional punches and of course, lots of Snow and Bigby. I have a feeling a lot of things are about to happen...
Melissa
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
Remember that time when Bigby got a weird WWII flashback story and Snow got put out to pasture to raise a litter of cubs? Yeah, that kinda sucked.
Calista
They really change things up in this volume. King Cole is voted out of office and the government changes. The new people really don't know what's going on so everything is changing. Snow has her litter of babies and she is out of a job.

Snow's babies can fly. Bigby is the son of the North wind. How are them apples? People are unhappy with Prince charming. There is plenty of action and mystery and characters doing all kinds of things.

I feel this series is doing some great work. They are taking the
Joy
The best protest signs ever:

NOT SO CHARMING NOW!
PC out!
Someday my PRINCE will GO!!!
A CHARMING LIAR IS STILL A LIAR!

This volume felt like a weird mix-and-match of a few stories that didn't really connect. I loved Bigby and Snow's story so much, but the rest of the stories were just okay.

Again, wonderful artwork!

Read this volume simply for Bigby and Snow's floating babies because they were definitely the highlight. 3.75
Emma
Disaster in the Mayors office post election, babies and the North Wind.
Sud666
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another excellent outing by Fables. We find out that Snow White and Bigby have had six, or is it seven?, children. The children will be powerful but five do not look human so Snow goes to the Farm, where Bigby can not go. We also get the tale of Bigby during his service in WW2 and it's a well done story. But the majority of it is about the kids and meeting their grandfather, Bigby's father, and learning their new powers.

As usual Fables is an excellent departure from the usual superhero comic. T
Kaitlin
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume had some shifts in artwork which I wasn't a huge fan of. I kept getting distracted and pulled out of the story by seeing a new character drawn in such a weird way, but luckily this died down after the first few issues within this and I adjusted.

I liked getting to see Snow White's storyline within this becuase a lot of her life is about to change and she is one of my favourite characters within Fabletown.

We also see a war stories issue which I wasn't a huge fan of becuase I don't rea
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Didn't enjoy this one as much as the last volume. I liked the Charming, Mr North, Cinderella, and Rose parts, the rest not so much.

Cinderella turned out to be quite an interesting character, with all her secret spy work. Bigby on the other hand went from being one of the best characters to one of the worst, his war hero past was so boring and cliché. And his hissy fit about Snow and the kids moving to the Farm was ridiculous. Did he really expect Snow to move to the wilderne
Aldo Haegemans
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It felt like this volume is setting every character up for the future. With interesting story arcs. Charming and his Staff are failling so far at their job. Snow is figuring out How to be a single mom....this is fun
Patrick
Pretty good volume!
Gavin
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Volume 5 picks up in the aftermath of the invasion of Fabletown. This collection ushers in a great deal of changes, but first we discover a secret agent that Bigby has working, and how ruthless the big bad mofo will be to protect everyone else.
We then get a fun mini interlude, featuring Mr. Wolf during WWII as a spy, fighting the Nazis and a certain famous monster...who went to pieces.

The election results usher in changes, as Snow gives birth to about 6 babies, only to discover a major obstacle
James DeSantis
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
After two very strong volumes we fall down a level.

So this volume kind of closes a big chapter. The kids and Snow White leave fabletown to go to the farm. Then we also get into a two part backstory of Bigby. Last but not least we see the fallout of the new mayor, more on the farm, more about snonwhites kids, and then of course ends in a cliffhanger that we have to hope for the best.

Good: Enjoyed the start and the end a lot. Anything with the farm, the kids, snow white, and Mr. Wolf are all gre
*~Lan Lan~*
3 stars!

I didn't quite like this one compared to previous volumes. It was overall 'meh'.

The election is coming to an end and Snow is finally giving birth. I had expected something more than what was given in this volume. It was definitely setting up the plot to something big and I will of course keep reading this graphic novel series to find out, it is just don't expect much from The Mean Seasons.

Come check out my full review here on my blog: http://idioticbookreviews.blogspot.ca...

Logan
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mel Sunshine
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, comics
This installment of Fables reminded me that I get overly attached to literary characters and am uncomfortable with major changes to their storylines when I like them. Beauty and the Beast are my favorites but I have grown accustomed to Snow and Bigby's place in Fabletown so I wasn't as happy with the story as one might think. As fantastic as the writing is I found my inner self fighting the changes the whole time I was reading them. This is why you should never trust Prince Charming, I'll take t ...more
Devann
I don't care about Snow White's fucking puppies

lmao honestly can I just have that be my entire review?

Anyway I feel like I gave this series an incredibly fair chance but it's about time for Jack of Fables to start and I remember getting fairly far in that before so I think I'm just gonna hop over to that title for awhile and see if I still like it better. Consider the main series on hold until I get really really bored.
Bry
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This series is just consistently good. In this volume we see almost a year and several major events pass. Snow and Bigby's children are born, the mayoral election takes place, 4 murders take place, Boy Blue disappears, and basically Fabletown is going to hell in a hand basket.

Definitely glad I ound out about this series! It's innovative, with layered characters and a twisting plot. Highly recommended!
Brent
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and great fantasy comics
Recommended to Brent by: DC Comics
Shelves: comics, fiction, fantasy
Big fun, and great to rely on a public library to fill the gaps in Fables sequences.
Highly recommended.
Bookishrealm
So happy to have re-read this! There's so much going on and I'm enjoying all the characters. If you haven't read this series I definitely recommend starting it.
Maria
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The plot itself wasn’t half bad, really, but GOD. Everyone here looks outright hideous. And those babies.....Give me the creeps.
K
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
(This review contains plot spoilers hidden by spoilers tags.)

I would have given this volume three stars, but the ending was too poignant and heartbreaking and drove me up a star.

This volume felt like it began with a mishmash of stories to distract the reader from the focus of the main storyline. While different and somewhat intriguing in the sense of getting to see what other denizens of Fabletown get up to in their spare time, Cinderella's little romp in Paris was just not interesting enough fo
Kandice
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Issues 22 and 28-33, Mean Seasons marks the most change in the status quo so far in the Fables series. This volume immediately follows the battle against the Adversary's wooden army, and as the mayoral election is held and Bigby and Snow become parents.

We get a glance into Cinderella's back story outside of her fairy tale and also Bigby's. Cinderella's is a surprise, while Bigby's is not. It makes perfect sense.

"The Mean Seasons" takes place across a year's time and each section is a season. I
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

Comments: The book starts off with a single issue that features Cinderella. It feels purposeless at first but a little secret is revealed that later comes into play with a slight significance. Next is a two-issue story line featuring Bigby which flashes back to his World War II days and an ultra secret mission that he participated in. This was a great story line that introduced a new character who is living in Fabletown but I'm not sure whether he'll show u
Derek
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I continue to enjoy this series more and more with each volume I read. Fables doesn't have the artful angst found in so many other Vertigo titles and that's something of a relief (and I say that as a longtime Vertigo fan). It's charming and never overwrought.
I'm still not quite sure why we got Bigby's World War II story when we did but so be it. Perhaps its import will become clear later and, if not, at least it was a solid bit of character development.
The one thing that still troubles me somewh
Jonathan Terrington

Following on from the battle aftermath of the previous volume, Fables: The Mean Seasons calms everything down with a slightly different tone. Yet, this compelling fractured fairytale adventure - with all its focus on the modern and society through the use of age old 'fable' characters - takes some interesting twists in this volume which keep the overall story moving forward strongly.

In Fabletown the election runs its course (view spoiler)
Cathy
A bit of a transitional volume with a lot of bits and pieces, but they were all pretty good. I liked the one about Cindy's secret life, it made sense and added a layer to the story about her boss and how he does his job. Bigby's war stories were good comics in and of themselves, even though they didn't add much to the overall story arc that's being developed since they took place in the past and didn't have anything to do with the battle against the Adversary. The rest was really just little mom ...more
Chris Snider
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Warning: Does contain spoilers. For some reason instead of getting straight to Snow White's labor we start with Bigby visiting an army buddy that he finds out is dying. He knows Bigby's true nature and wrote a VERY long story of their mission together. Bigby does fight a surprising foe though. Then we get to Snow Whit having her baby....umm.....babies.........6 babies... Which leads to a dilemma. Only one looks human so they will have to go to the farm making Bigby understandably pissed. I guess ...more
Scott
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read hundreds of books every year and I'm also a pretty big fan of comics and graphic novels and without hesitation Fables is my favorite. Everything is just perfect - the art, the paper it's printed on, the plot, the characters - it hits all my pleasure points and almost nothing gets me jazzed to read more than an unopened volume of Fables on my lap.

This was no exception.

Loved it from beginning to end and have already ordered the next volume.

Really great stuff.
Beth
As I progress through this series I have to admit I am losing interest... I did like the political turmoil but was disappointed by the paths taken by Bigby Wolf & Snow White. I'm going to try one more in this series before I abandoned it completely.
*spoilers* Snow's Offspring 3 11 Jan 09, 2016 10:07PM

• Lucifer, Vol. 7: Exodus
  • Cinderella, Volume 2: Fables are Forever
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 3: The Space Between
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Fables (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love
  • Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves