Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much” as Want to Read:
Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,057 ratings  ·  133 reviews

It's difficult to ask anybody 'How are you?' without hearing the word 'busy' somewhere in their response. We feel overwhelmed by busyness because of the demands on our time: our inbox and our to-do list are bulging, a huge amount of people expect things from us and our organisations are trying to do more with fewer people.

But it doesn't have to be that way. In reality, bu

...more
Kindle Edition, 369 pages
Published June 5th 2014 by Piatkus
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Busy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Busy

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.86  · 
Rating details
 ·  1,057 ratings  ·  133 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Shog Al Maskery
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of my favorite reads for many reasons!
1- I didn't get bored or demotivated while reading, on contrary
2- I loved the reference stories that were related and inspiring
3- The book was divided well
4- At the end of each chapter, a summary was provided + a go do & an experiment to try

This is slowly but surely is opening my eyes on new things I'm excited to apply.
Mihai Pintilie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-b-mindset
Busy key points


Active resistance against the norm of mediocrity builds your commitment to your cause.

1. Use the Word “Because”
2. Switch Off
3. Turn Off the Notifier
4. Kill a Meeting

5. Think of the Time… and Double It
This is something known in psychology as the planning fallacy. We overestimate how much we can do, endowing ourselves with greater intellectual and focusing capabilities than we really have, and ignore all the contextual factors that could get in our way.

6. Watch the Clock
7. Finish on
...more
Marieke
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eindelijk heb ik dit boek uit.. Wow, wat duurde het lang voor ik door dit boek heen was en to be honest, de laatste helft heb ik gescand en niet meer volledig gelezen.

Dit boek was voor een gedeelte nuttig. Er staan goede tips in dit boek en de metaforen zijn ook erg mooi. Maar halverwege het boek gaat Tony Crabbe het hebben over je carrière en hoe je je eigen unieke stempel kan hebben op je werk. En daar heb ik als student nou helemaal niks aan. Ik kwam ook maar moeizaam door die stukken heen e
...more
Iris
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veel nuttige tips waar ik echt iets aan heb. Er worden alleen wel véél inderwerpen in dit boek behandeld waardoor ik het soms allemaal wat overweldigend vond.
Leigh
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Often the cover quotes on books don't mean much, but the "Life-changing" on the front of this one has it in a nutshell. Tony Crabbe's Busy is a Life-Changing Book.

Ping Ping Ping... the world is calling, it demands our attention, and we can't ignore it. We have work to do, emails to write, calls to make. At home there are meals to make, shelves to fix, bins to put out. And when we relax we have people to see, films to watch, news to read. This is busyness, and it's a problem.

Crabbe takes us on a
...more
Birgit
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nooit meer te druk van Tony Crabbe gaat over het feit dat we tegenwoordig een uitpuilende inbox hebben, een overvolle agenda en oneindig veel to-dolijstjes. Tony Crabbe biedt hiervoor een oplossing in zijn boek Nooit meer te druk, want dit is een praktisch boek dat helpt bij het maken van keuzes. Het biedt oplossingen om meer controle te krijgen over je leven, met gerichte aandacht op de dingen die je doet.

Het boek Nooit meer te druk bestaat uit drie delen: 1. Beheersing, 2. Onderscheiding en 3.
...more
Kate
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Possibly one of the best non fiction books I have ever read. Brilliant and engaging, Crabbe takes you on a clear path to understanding why we are so busy and what we can do to make positive and effective changes in our lives.

A must read for anyone that has ever felt there are too many things to do and not enough hours to do them.

With an engaging working style full of great anecdotes, Crabbe has crafted what will undoubtedly be a core book for business moving forward. Each chapter also has a gr
...more
Jil
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tony Crabbe beschrijft in nooit meer te druk hoe we stapsgewijs in deze maatschappij van alsmaar druk te zijn dit kunnen veranderen. Ik ben aan dit boek begonnen omdat ik, bij de omschrijving van dit boek, getrokken werd door de zin dat mensen standaard antwoorden dat ze het druk hebben. Dit is voor mij heel herkenbaar. Zo voel ik het ook en tegelijkertijd zou een antwoord van niet druk niet in mij opkomen en al helemaal niet dat dit juist goed of beter kan zijn. Na het lezen van nooit meer te d ...more
Evi
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Het boek dat je leven gaat veranderen' of andere Amerikaanse slogans die in stickertjes op het boek geplakt werden zijn geen van allen van toepassing. Wat het wel bleek, is een bonte verzameling gekende en ongekende (voor mij dan toch) psychologische onderzoeken, allen gericht op het thema 'drukte'. En het was misschien niet slecht dit allemaal nog eens op een rijtje te zetten. Het eerste hoofdstuk ging voornamelijk om het 'beheersen' van de drukte in onze tijd. Drukte - onder de vorm van 'ik m ...more
Kyle Turner
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Great Author. Super interesting.

Constantly putting real life studies and psychological terms in this book really made it stand out. He clearly shows that living an efficient life has nothing to do with how you manage your time, but clearly how you manage the things you spend your time on. It definitely lays down a clear path on how to rid all the unnecessary busyness in life. Great book if your looking to prioritize your time.

Thanks Tony Crabbe!
Patrick Kelly
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book on time management. His approach is basically about reducing distractions, deciding what is important in your life and focussing on those things. The book is firmly rooted in science but is very practical. Nice summaries and exercises at the end of each chapter.
Marlot Bonte
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Een aantal van de tips uit dit boek ga ik meenemen! Er staan best zinnige dingen in. Wel worden een aantal zaken heel vaak herhaald.
Katrien Wittemans
Het boek stond al lang op m’n verlanglijstje omdat ik er zoveel goeie dingen over gehoord had. Het lag als pakje onder de kerstboom. Misschien een stiekeme hint van het lief, ik weet het niet, maar zo belandde het in elk geval op m’n ‘leeshoop’. Het boek prikkelde me al een hele tijd. Zou het de ‘heilige graal’ zijn die mij het licht ging laten zien?

Ik begon er aan met torenhoge verwachtingen. Verwachtingen die helemaal werden ingelost door de eerste 15-20 pagina’s. Er werden statements gemaakt
...more
Melanie Mole
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating book throughout.

It contained lots of insight into how we can stop being so busy and live a more rewarding life which leaves time for the things that we really want to do.

A great read if you want to seriously look at changing your life to one which is much less busy.
Oksana Hoshva
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you feel overwhelmed and "always too busy" you should read it. There are tones of great points the author makes. What caught my attention?

- "We are not to blame when we can’t do it all. We should, however, blame ourselves if we allow our output to be externally driven. We are right to feel guilty when we get to the end of a day and have failed to work on what s important".
- "The truth is, every choice has a consequence. Each time you choose something, you unchoose something else".
- "I would a
...more
Liam Delahunty
This book took me a while to finish as I was savouring much of it and re-reading sections.

It's a very important book to anyone trying to improve their life in the 21st Century.

I first heard of the book via the Duct Tape Marketing podcast - Be Less Busy And More Productive when Tony Crabbe was interviewed.

Listen to the interview, then buy the book.

Most highly recommended.
Gary Anderson
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it was timing, but I found this book easy to read and extremely helpful. I've read a lot of the books that are the foundation of this one, but this is the first book that brings a lot of different subjects together and provides some concrete actions that you can actually implement. I think this one is going to be referenced again.
Alexandra
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting and i would say a must read for everyone living in the time of the constant "ping pings". Reads very fast and easily. Even though most of the information is allready known, the underlying reasons and tips are definitely something to think about if you would like to change (in many ways).
Pieter Willems
Bouwend op de inzichten in boeken van David Allen, Charles Duhigg, Chip & Dan Heath, Daniel Kahneman, Steve Peters (en vele anderen), brengt ditt boek een handige kijk en voorstel tot aanpak om met de zogezegde hedendaagse drukte om te gaan. De vele voorbeelden en onderzoeken maken het verhaal verteerbaar en aannemelijk.
Richard Cortright
Great read

Lines up with many other works on focusing on the important things above the interruptions of work. Well written, practical and a must for anyone constantly reacting to things at work (or in life).
Kelly Deriemaeker
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed boek, al had de aanpak voor mij nog net iets praktischer gemogen.
Jodi Leunissen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interessante theorie over waarom we (denken) zo druk (te) zijn. Fijn dat er een hoop praktische tips en stof tot nadenken in zit.
Rachel Bayles
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Good book. Timely and important topic. Points to a lot of key changes we will need to make if we want to steer our culture away from being frivolous, toward one of more substance.
Berber Bijlsma
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WAUW. Dit is mijn nieuwe bijbel en ik heb nu het gevoel dat ik meteen weer opnieuw wil beginnen met lezen. Hier zit zoveel in, het gaat niet alleen om niet meer druk zijn. Must read!
Emiel
Meestal mijd ik de zelfhulpboeken aangezien boekhandels daar tegenwoordig mee overspoeld worden en iedereen zichzelf goeroe kan noemen. Zodoende heb ik ook dit boek in eerste instantie overgeslagen. Tot ik zag dat het gebruikt wordt bij een cursus van The School of Life, en daarna zag dat Crabbe een universitaire opleiding psychologie heeft voltooid en jarenlange ervaring heeft als bedrijfpsycholoog.

De hoofdstukken van het boek zijn goed gevuld. Geen ellenlange anekdotes waar je vervolgens een k
...more
Dawn
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a professional development book club, and wasn’t sure what to expect going in. As it turned out, I really liked a lot of what Tony had to say, and some of the changes he recommends for improving our lives in a world that’s saturated with information.

Some of my favorites are his push back on productivity & time management. These are business buzz words, and have been for a long time, but they don’t really work for us. Tony instead recommends managing attention and
...more
Sara
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I got busy while reading this book, and put it down for a month. Lol. That being said I really appreciated what this book has to say. Being busy is such an epidemic these days, and most of us could use some help in how to take back control of our time. I started reading this book as part of a piano teacher book club.

He gives tips on accomplishing things by creating good habits, making good choices and managing our attention rather than constantly striving to do more. He also points out t
...more
Jessica
DNF
Finally I decided to drop this book. It just took me too damn long to get through it and I did not enjoy reading it.

I feel like the tips in this book are only partially useful, are just not applicable for me at all. The general message of this book is to say "no" to more things at work: no at that annoying weekly meeting, no at taking your job home to work and no to notifications that pop-up at the corner of your screen. With these tips you should be able to create more time for the tasks th
...more
Sanne
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-in-2017
Ik kan niet meer zeggen dat ik geen tijd heb om dit boek te lezen (haha, de ironie).
Ik heb dit boek bijna anderhalf jaar geleden gekocht, toen het uitkwam in Nederland, omdat ik op dat moment al vond dat dit het perfecte boek voor me was. Ik heb het altijd druk. Ik voel me altijd druk. Dit boek reikt je handvatten aan om de drukte in je leven aan te pakken en je wat rustiger te maken.
Persoonlijk denk ik dat het lastig is om alles toe te passen, maar zoals Crabbe ook al zegt: verandering begint v
...more
JY Tan
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alright, this book is definitely not exciting. The writing tone is low profile and doesn't promise big changes. It also has some chapters on organizational management which straight out ruins the reading flow.

Otherwise, it is very likely the most useful applied psychology reading I have ever read. It is short, straight-to-the-point, and scientifically valid. Even his anecdotes are convincing. Not only that he covers a broad variety of issues with the same theme on well-being, every segment is a
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Goodreads Librari...: Can you add cover please? 3 16 Jun 28, 2017 06:54PM  
  • Mezzanotte (Il diario del vampiro, 9)
  • My Friend Jesus Christ
  • L'ordine della Croce  (Black Friars, #3)
  • La voce invisibile del vento
  • De herontdekking van het lichaam: over de burn-out
  • Je hebt wél iets te verbergen
  • The Middle Mind: Why Consumer Culture is Turning Us Into the Living Dead
  • The Way To Freedom
  • Nessuno sa di noi
  • The Good Psychopath's Guide to Success
  • Boy 30529: A Memoir
  • A Stitch In Time
  • Mercy Train
  • Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play
  • Writers on Comics Scriptwriting, Vol. 1
  • Autoriteit
  • The Bookshop That Floated Away
  • Pursuing the Good Life: 100 Reflections on Positive Psychology
“Unless we regain the ability to notice, to savor, we will be sucked ever more into unrewarding and unsustainable busyness." - from Busy, How to Thrive in a World of Too Much” 2 likes
“The opposite of busy in today's world is sustained, focused attention. It is deep engagement in activities that really matter to us, or in conversations with those we care about.” 2 likes
More quotes…