Start by marking “Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much” as Want to Read:
Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much

Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much

It's difficult to ask anybody 'How are you?' without hearing the word 'busy' somewhere in their response. We feel overwhelmed by busyness because of the demands on our time: our inbox and our to-do list are bulging, a huge amount of people expect things from us and our organisations are trying to do more with fewer people.

But it doesn't have to be that way. In reality, bu

Published June 5th 2014 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Busy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Busy

Start your review of Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much
Shog Al Maskery
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of my favorite reads for many reasons!
1- I didn't get bored or demotivated while reading, on contrary
2- I loved the reference stories that were related and inspiring
3- The book was divided well
4- At the end of each chapter, a summary was provided + a go do & an experiment to try

This is slowly but surely is opening my eyes on new things I'm excited to apply.
Mihai Pintilie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-b-mindset
Busy key points

Active resistance against the norm of mediocrity builds your commitment to your cause.

1. Use the Word “Because”
2. Switch Off
3. Turn Off the Notifier
4. Kill a Meeting

5. Think of the Time… and Double It
This is something known in psychology as the planning fallacy. We overestimate how much we can do, endowing ourselves with greater intellectual and focusing capabilities than we really have, and ignore all the contextual factors that could get in our way.

6. Watch the Clock
7. Finish on
Leigh
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Often the cover quotes on books don't mean much, but the "Life-changing" on the front of this one has it in a nutshell. Tony Crabbe's Busy is a Life-Changing Book.

Ping Ping Ping... the world is calling, it demands our attention, and we can't ignore it. We have work to do, emails to write, calls to make. At home there are meals to make, shelves to fix, bins to put out. And when we relax we have people to see, films to watch, news to read. This is busyness, and it's a problem.

Crabbe takes us on a
Rachel Bayles
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Good book. Timely and important topic. Points to a lot of key changes we will need to make if we want to steer our culture away from being frivolous, toward one of more substance.
Kate
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Possibly one of the best non fiction books I have ever read. Brilliant and engaging, Crabbe takes you on a clear path to understanding why we are so busy and what we can do to make positive and effective changes in our lives.

A must read for anyone that has ever felt there are too many things to do and not enough hours to do them.

With an engaging working style full of great anecdotes, Crabbe has crafted what will undoubtedly be a core book for business moving forward. Each chapter also has a gr
Kyle Turner
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Great Author. Super interesting.

Constantly putting real life studies and psychological terms in this book really made it stand out. He clearly shows that living an efficient life has nothing to do with how you manage your time, but clearly how you manage the things you spend your time on. It definitely lays down a clear path on how to rid all the unnecessary busyness in life. Great book if your looking to prioritize your time.

Thanks Tony Crabbe!
Patrick Kelly
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book on time management. His approach is basically about reducing distractions, deciding what is important in your life and focussing on those things. The book is firmly rooted in science but is very practical. Nice summaries and exercises at the end of each chapter.
Melanie Mole
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating book throughout.

It contained lots of insight into how we can stop being so busy and live a more rewarding life which leaves time for the things that we really want to do.

A great read if you want to seriously look at changing your life to one which is much less busy.
Oksana Hoshva
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you feel overwhelmed and "always too busy" you should read it. There are tones of great points the author makes. What caught my attention?

- "We are not to blame when we can’t do it all. We should, however, blame ourselves if we allow our output to be externally driven. We are right to feel guilty when we get to the end of a day and have failed to work on what s important".
- "The truth is, every choice has a consequence. Each time you choose something, you unchoose something else".
- "I would a
Liam Delahunty
This book took me a while to finish as I was savouring much of it and re-reading sections.

It's a very important book to anyone trying to improve their life in the 21st Century.

I first heard of the book via the Duct Tape Marketing podcast - Be Less Busy And More Productive when Tony Crabbe was interviewed.

Listen to the interview, then buy the book.

Most highly recommended.
Gary Anderson
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it was timing, but I found this book easy to read and extremely helpful. I've read a lot of the books that are the foundation of this one, but this is the first book that brings a lot of different subjects together and provides some concrete actions that you can actually implement. I think this one is going to be referenced again.
Alexandra
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting and i would say a must read for everyone living in the time of the constant "ping pings". Reads very fast and easily. Even though most of the information is allready known, the underlying reasons and tips are definitely something to think about if you would like to change (in many ways).
Richard Cortright
Great read

Lines up with many other works on focusing on the important things above the interruptions of work. Well written, practical and a must for anyone constantly reacting to things at work (or in life).
Book Ruminations
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
We are almost perpetually busy. We always seek things to do, do and do. Be it in our work lives, when we seek to clear our emails and read it all, or in our personal lives where we so often fill our time with dramas, games or social media. We get addicted to doing all these small things all the time but when the end of the day comes, we feel that we haven’t done anything substantial. We feel bad, sleep on it, promise to do better the next day. When the next day comes, we wake up and check the 10 ...more
Dawn
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a professional development book club, and wasn’t sure what to expect going in. As it turned out, I really liked a lot of what Tony had to say, and some of the changes he recommends for improving our lives in a world that’s saturated with information.

Some of my favorites are his push back on productivity & time management. These are business buzz words, and have been for a long time, but they don’t really work for us. Tony instead recommends managing attention and bei
Richard
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Practical, Real-World advice on avoiding the busy trap

This is a book about managing the modern scourge of business.

When you ask anybody how they are doing, they'll tell you they are ”busy”. The result is too many of us dashing around, doing too much and neglecting the important things in life - such as out health, friends and family.

The author shares advice on improving your productivity, and reducing your busyness, all backed by Scientific research.

This is an extremely well researched book. It
Jessica  (Ihaveseenthedragons)
DNF
Finally I decided to drop this book. It just took me too damn long to get through it and I did not enjoy reading it.

I feel like the tips in this book are only partially useful, are just not applicable for me at all. The general message of this book is to say "no" to more things at work: no at that annoying weekly meeting, no at taking your job home to work and no to notifications that pop-up at the corner of your screen. With these tips you should be able to create more time for the tasks th
Sara
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I got busy while reading this book, and put it down for a month. Lol. That being said I really appreciated what this book has to say. Being busy is such an epidemic these days, and most of us could use some help in how to take back control of our time. I started reading this book as part of a piano teacher book club.

He gives tips on accomplishing things by creating good habits, making good choices and managing our attention rather than constantly striving to do more. He also points out t
Stepan
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall rich great book. It might start weird (it did for me witch claims for mindless busyness), but shorty transutions into heavily researched chapters.

The research and referencing other people’s work is stong plus for me. There are very sensible point of work, some of them that I read before and therefore are validating for me quality of others. This can also lead to further research into point mentioned in the book.

It feels to me as ine of the books that have lengetivity. That you will read
JY Tan
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alright, this book is definitely not exciting. The writing tone is low profile and doesn't promise big changes. It also has some chapters on organizational management which straight out ruins the reading flow.

Otherwise, it is very likely the most useful applied psychology reading I have ever read. It is short, straight-to-the-point, and scientifically valid. Even his anecdotes are convincing. Not only that he covers a broad variety of issues with the same theme on well-being, every segment is a
Amy Wardlaw
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adding this to my 'must-read' list for when I'm asked for book recommendations. Alongside Susan Cain's 'Quiet' which has also had a transformative effect on my life.

Particularly enjoyed the Engagement section, which really moved me - on how to be present with other people and our children. Made me feel a little sad about the times I have paused my young daughter in the past, rather than stopping the online task I was carrying out which really could have waited.

In some parts I found it repeated
Emily
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had so much good advice! I'm glad I kept reading through it past the halfway point though, a lot of that part of the book wasn't relevant to me. My life in general was busy more so than my career, and the career advice section was catered to the corporate world/people with typical desk/office jobs (I'm a Zookeeper and a restaurant host, so my jobs are more in the physical labor and service industry realm). Like I said, Im glad i pushed through that irrelevant part because the rest of t ...more
Laura Torrano
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enlightening and straightforward book.
However, after reading books such as Flow, Thinking fast and slow, The happiness advantage or Getting things done it was not mind blowing.
Tony Crabbe does a great compilation of many books and shares extra ideas and personal experiences.
Throughout the pages you can find many insights on how to stop being busy living a more fulfilling and rewarding life.
Definitely a good choice in terms of personal development and inspiration both for personal and profession
Karen Salt
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting text that provides some compelling information about why folks are busy and what busyness means and does to productivity and creativity. I found the most compelling information sits in the first half of the book. The second half moves a bit too much into behavioural management speak. I skimmed these pages. Overall, though, I found the details helpful and have already begun implementing some of the suggestions.
Nicola
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think this book might be alright if you haven't read any other popular science or psychology books about productivity and how the brain works. As far as I can tell there is no original research in it, it's basically a literature review. If you already have an interest in the subject, don't bother with it, you've likely read most of the material in other books. If you haven't already read anything like this, go and read Deep Work by Cal Newport instead.
Yuri Chesses
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice book. Doesn't set out to change the world but touches on some really important topics for our time. I especially like the bit about alcohol consumption increase and the industrial revolution. After the second half he cites the chimp paradox quite heavily which I've read. For those who haven't it might throw them off a little bit but that's my only criticism to be fair
David Gilani
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really needed this book at the time that I read it. At some points it’s guilty of a little bit of management speak, but it manages to avoid that the vast majority of the time.

Some things that I’m definitely taking forward and overall a mantra that I think many people could benefit from considering.
Manuel
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of physology research-based strategies relating to dealing with busyness (and modern life in general), from which you can pick and choose what you want to try and find what would work for you.
Caroline Leblond
A very good perspective of burn-out its base in our modern society... give very goods tricks to be more efficient or less burned... easy to read for tired people too. I recommended this book to a lot of people already!!
Marloes
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
With practically everything described in this book, I found it logical, but clearly, I needed it to open my eyes. Easy to read, didn't bore me at all. The author gives you several insights and tips to clear your head up and make 'busy' the new boring.
Absolutely recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Can you add cover please? 3 17 Jun 29, 2017 09:54AM

• Happy Life 365: De no-nonsense denkwijze voor een leuker leven.
  • Steeds leuker
  • Grip: Het geheim van slim werken
  • Focus AAN/UIT
  • Verlangen naar minder
  • Hallo witte mensen
  • Knap voor een dik meisje
  • De meeste mensen deugen
  • Patty: de negen levens van Patty Brard
  • Stromboli
  • Hoe gaan we dit uitleggen
  • Het water komt
  • Nice girls don't get the corner office
  • Fokking druk
  • Mijn leven in de wildernis
  • Ik moet nog even kijken of ik kan
  • Je hebt wél iets te verbergen
  • Damn, Honey