Start by marking “Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands” as Want to Read:
Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands

Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands

(Fables #6)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  20,871 Ratings  ·  627 Reviews
Over the hills and far away.
Having beaten back the Adversary's first advance into their world, the residents of Fabletown must now prepare themselves for the full-scale war that is sure to follow. For one particular Fable, this means skipping town to launch a new career as a venal Hollywood mogul - a path he hopes will be paved with gold and immortality. For another Fable,
Paperback, Trade, 190 pages
Published January 27th 2006 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables, Vol. 6

Joy
"Big walter horton."

Jack's story kinda fell flat for me. It just wasn't interesting enough, and there wasn't enough action to balance all the talking and planning and drama. So I give his story about a 3.

Boy Blue's story, though, was fantastic! I loved seeing this other side to Boy Blue that we haven't really seen before. In one of the previous volumes, he kinda hinted that he was a big shot hero who single-handedly took down a lot of the Adversary's forces. I couldn't see it then... BUT NOW he
Sud666
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
One of the facets of a good story is the ability to still deliver shocking moments to the reader. All the more so because I truly did not expect the long awaited explanation of the Adversary to be so shocking. Well done Mr. Willingham not only did you craft a great story, but the grand scale of this story is beginning to take shape and it is impressive.

First things first- Vol 6 is a strange issue. The first part is entirely centered on Jack, from the Beanstalk, and a tiny girl named Jill. Jack g
Jonathan Terrington

This is the strongest addition to the Fables series to date. Perhaps it helps that this was more of an adventure story set in the Fablelands than previous novels and that we also find out the identity of the dreaded Adversary, which is an interesting little twist.

This all reminds me that part of the strength of this graphic novel series to date appears to be in the versatility of genres used by the writers. While the series is in effect procedural with various episodes happing from volume to vo
James DeSantis
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was by far the most engrossing volume of the series yet.

It's broken into two sections. The first part deals with Jack and his life of getting famous in Hollywood. It's funny side of things though the ending not so much. The other half of this book is about Boy Blue. Who, till now, I didn't care much about. All of a sudden he becomes a badass motherfucker and goes into the homeland to retrieve the love of his life and hunt down the evil that took over his lands.

Good: The second half is gre
Ferdy
Wasn't that impressed with Jack's Hollywood adventure, it didn't fit in with the rest of the chapters/story, it was also the same old sort of Jack rubbish, it added very little to his character or the world or the overarching story.

Enjoyed the other chapters with Boy Blue travelling back to the homelands, fighting the bad guys, and finding out the truth about the adversary/emperor.
Celise
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume had the most scattered group of storylines so far, with some really good issues and some of my least favourites as well.

Most of this volume follows Boy Blue on his quest through The Homelands to defeat The Adversary. For the most part I found myself wondering what was happening back in Fabletown, but by the end I was invested.

I liked the introduction of Mowgli from the Jungle Book in one of the issues, too. I'm excited to see what his role will be. I also didn't mind Jack's takeover
Gavin
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
So this volume collects 3 different threads, woven somewhat together for us.

1) Jack left Fabletown in an earlier volume, here we see him go to Hollywood and make it big in the movies, with stolen wealth from his fellow fables. He's tracked down by Beast, the new Sheriff, and allowed to escape, but never to return to Fabletown. I believe this sets up the whole spin-off series Jack of Fables, which Willingham also writes. This Jack isn't a minor screw up like the previous volumes show, this shows
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
-----Mild spoilers below------

This one would have been a five star for me but the whole Jack being rich in Hollywood seemed boring and pointless. I get that they were setting it up so that he had to leave Fabletown because he was heading off into his own graphic novel spin-off - Jack of Fables. I just felt it was a little lazy - I plan on reading the spin-off series soon but I'm following a reading guide on the series and says I don't have to go back and read all of his graphic novels until volu
Aldo Haegemans
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
So many interesting characters! I had a feeling I already knew Who the advesary was. Still a Nice reveal and story behind it. Boy blue is a F’n badass
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This collection of Fables stood out in that most of it takes place in the Fables homelands, other than the edition about Jack's adventures in Hollywood. I gave it five stars because the writing is excellent as always, and the story took my emotions all over the place.

Jack is not a favorite character of mine. He lacks most of what I love in a character. I love edgy heroes, but Jack is 99% rogue with maybe 1% decency in there somewhere. Everything he does is with a selfish motive, even if it ends
Kaitlin
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume gets a high 3.5* rating from me as it went back into the Homelands and I really enjoyed getting to see how the Homelands were after the Fables had left them and seeing a LOT more about the Adversary and how he came to be. This volume tells the reader a lot, and also seeing Boy Blue on his adventure was really good becuase he's quite the brave hero when he wants to be.

The story within this one once again seemed to be better than the artwork and I found that I could ignore it when a ch
Ivan
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Weakest Fables comic so far but it's still good comic nonetheless.

I really don't care about Jack of fables, I find him and his story totally uninteresting and completely unrelated with rest of volume 6.Alone I would give it 1.5-2 stars.Luckily it was short enough.

Main story follows Boy blue and his trip to the homelands and we finally se who is the Adversary and I kind of expected more, it was all bit underwhelming.Still good but not up to Fables standard.
Bry
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the Fables series. So sad to see that this is where Jack's character branches off from the main series. I always liked him, even from the beginning and thought he was a bit under utilized, and now he will be gone completely. Think I will need to read his series Jack of Fables, Volume 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape as well!

Loved the peak into the homelands though with the story behind the Adversary. It was a tab anticlimactic when his identity was revealed though as th
Ryan
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Miss Michael
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
This volume has a couple things going on. The first is Jack's story. I liked it, but not as much as the second part, in which we get a glimpse of the homelands as Boy Blue ventures back to face the adversary. Very exciting in the grand scheme of the comic.
Quentin Wallace
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This volume finally reveals the identity of the Adversary, although most of us had guessed it by this time. It also details Jack's exile, and includes a great quest as Blue Boy invades the homelands and takes the fight to the adversary all on his own. Who'd have though Little Boy Blue would be such a badass? This is a still a great series.
Irene
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4.2/5

El arco argumental de Jack es totalmente meh. Pero la del del chico azul es absolutamente genial, hasta podría decir que de los mejores.

Ya era hora de descubrir quién es el adversario y cómo se convirtió en la amenaza de las fábulas (ya sospechaba quién era desde hace un par de tomos).

Y la aparición de La reina de las nieves.😍

¡Estos cómics son geniales!
K
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
(This review may contain some minor plot spoilers or minor character development spoilers.)

After the slight lull that was The Mean Seasons , Fables picks up the pace again with Homelands. Even the opening story, Jack Be Nimble, while not directly involved in the main story arc, is a good, well-paced story involving Jack's foray into "one of the forbidden professions" in order to establish himself as the most popular fable ever. I enjoyed seeing Beast really coming into his own as Fabletown's sh
John Kirk
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a significant part of the ongoing story, with a lot of revelations. I'd figured out who the Adversary was a while back, but it was still interesting to see why that person came to power.

Unfortunately this story conflicts with "The Last Castle" (reprinted in Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers) and there's no decent explanation. One of the characters literally says "I don't know who did that or why they did it." This retcon does lead to some interesting stories later on, but it w
The other John
The center story of this Fables collection is Little Boy Blue's quest in the Homelands. In the previous collection (or issue #31, if you've been following the comic) Blue took the Witching Cloak and the Vorpal Blade from the Fabletown armory and embarked on a mission back to the dimensional worlds from which the Fables came. His objective is to kill the Adversary, the conqueror of their homelands and to rescue his true love, Little Red Riding Hood. (Well, she's all grown up, so I should probably ...more
Shannon Steuer
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-comics
A great continuation into the series, where I felt sometimes one of the old volumes felt a bit down - this one takes you right into the action with what you want. True Fables lore, detailing the events within the Homelands, and uncovering secrets and motives behind characters in the world. The tale of Jack going to Hollywood was enjoyable too, nothing incredible though; just a fitting end for the character to start his own franchise. It was probably bad to have it at the very beginning of the vo ...more
Mel Sunshine
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, comics
I've slowly come to the realization that as amazing as these are, they do have one rule you should keep in mind. Don't get used to any of the fables because a lot of them don't stick around long.
Cathy
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Drama! The first volume where I didn't want to put the book down in quite a while.
Jeremy
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I wasn't a huge fan of this one in the beginning, but it turned around and become quite the page turner. The big reveal of The Adversary, finally! And the Snow Queen!
Stephen
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to get better with each volume. The adventures of Boy Blue in the homelands and Jack in Hollywood were fantastic. I am excited to get to the next one.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
These Fables comics are my current "fun reading."

Really interesting Boy Blue backstory and adventures! And now we know who the Adversary is!
Denise
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
i think prince charming is doing a better job as mayor of fable town than king cole
but still beauty and beast are still not doing a terrific job even so beast has solved some cases
and now what about our hero the swashbuckling boy blue
i loved everything about his adventure in the homelands
that being said i think the author already made a few hints before that geppetto would be the adversary but then again who am i to complain
Matt Garcia
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite volume that I've read so far. It's damn good! We learn about the Adversary, who they are, and how they came into power. This one reads like a classic fantasy adventure novel/film. If you really enjoy that type of fantasy then you'll enjoy this one. The writing was spot on and the artwork has never faltered throughout, it's consistently very good. Highly entertaining volume in the series.
Michelle Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult fans of fairy tales.
The first two issues, 34 and 35, were just OK. We already knew Jack was a schemer from earlier volumes, making 34 & 35 a rather dull detour.

The rest of Homelands was exciting; we spend some time in the homeland and learn a very important secret about the Adversary, though he's no less dangerous for it.

I still found myself missing Bigby and Snow White and the other Fables here in our world, despite how good Homelands was; but since this volume closed out in Fabletown, I hope to know more abo
Play Book Tag: Fables Vol. 6: Homelands - Bill Willingham, 3 Stars 1 8 Jun 29, 2016 07:35AM
2017 Reading Chal...: Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands 2 18 Jan 07, 2015 09:38AM
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 5: On to Genesis
  • Cinderella, Volume 2: Fables are Forever
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 3: The Space Between
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Fables (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Fables, Volume 2: Animal Farm
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love
  • Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights [and Days] (Fables, #7)
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall