Start by marking “B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 2: Gods and Monsters” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 2: Gods and Monsters

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 2: Gods and Monsters (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Between tracking down the vagrant followers of a prescient teen pursued by crablike beasts and dealing with a redneck priest who preaches by way of human mutilation to a trailer park populated by a cult of hillbillies, the B.P.R.D. certainly have their hands full. Can a fractured team wage a winnable war or are they fighting a battle of attrition? B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: G ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 2

Sesana
Well, I liked the first storyline, Gods. I'm interested to see where the Fenix storyline goes, and I'll like almost anything that focuses on Abe. Not so thrilled with the second storyline, Monsters. It focuses on Liz, which is normally a good thing. And it was kind of nice to see where she'd ended up after King of Fear. But it leaned a bit much on the frogs, which I'm just so over. The dialog wasn't the greatest, and the whole thing felt uncomfortably stereotypical. Not the best.
Otherwyrld
Volume 2 of the new series finds the world falling apart as the apocalypse gathers pace. The B.P.R.D. are sent to investigate a girl with psychic powers, a decision that has tragic consequences for one of the team. Meanwhile we catch up with Liz Sherman, missing since the end of King of Fear, as she finds herself caught up with a weird cult.

This is a placeholder review until I can fill in some of the gaps in my reading. The review and the rating may change after a reread.
Matthew Brady
We continue to explore the new status quo in this volume, with the emphasis being on the way people are reacting to the apocalyptic events sweeping the globe, especially in a "religious" sense. One part of the story sees a psychic teenager start to form a following, since she seems to be able to predict and avoid horrific stuff like volcanoes and monster attacks. I expect she'll end up having a greater role in the series, especially considering the shocking action she takes that looks like it wi ...more
James
Excellent continuation of the series. After the near-destruction of Earth, the B.P.R.D. is overwhelmed with the monsters that are surfacing around the globe, some of which have destroyed Houston and seem to be spreading throughout the state.

In the first storyline in this trade ("Gods"), a transient, rail-riding teen leads her followers through Texas, using her precognitive abilities to protect them from danger--a path that leads to direct conflict with the B.P.R.D. Her appearance plays off a la
Gabriel Wallis
"B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Gods and Monsters" (volume 2) was an entertaining graphic novel to read, just like all the other Mike Mignola graphic novels out there. He comes up with some of the craziest storylines. This graphic novel focuses more on Abe Sapien and his fight against a group of Texas "Bedouins" and Liz Sherman's battle against local nutcases. Both stories were definitely fun to read and a little dark and scary. There's a lot of mystery wrapped around these stories, enough to keep one ...more
Cale
This collects two short series; one deals with a mysterious girl who is keeping a collection of refugees from the destroyed Texas alive, and the other focuses on Liz trying to make it in civilian life (and failing miserably). Both stories are well told, and go unexpected places, and both capture the sense of a world falling apart, no matter what the BPRD can achieve. It's dark and getting darker, but that's what has always made Mike Mignola's stories interesting, and these definitely achieve tha ...more
Sam Quixote
The volcano in Houston from the first book seems to have more importance than I first thought where it seems to have transformed the city into a kind of ghost town with mob rule. Abe and Johann head down there to look for a special girl who seems to have a cult following because she foresaw the natural disasters.

Not for nothing, but haven't we seen a red-headed girl with psychic powers called Fenix before (or variations on that name)? Don't know why Mike Mignola and John Arcudi went with such as
Andy Shuping
ARC Provided by NetGalley

Hell. A living Hell. That’s the best way to describe the current condition of the world. Strange and deadly creatures haunt the landscape and they hunt the humans they encounter. But there are survivors. A strange young woman named Fenix is able to lead a small group of wanderers through danger with what seem to be psychic visions. And B.P.R.D. wants to talk to her. They’re still stretched thin with Hellboy and Liz both MIA and in fighting and bickering may lead to the
Ravwrin
Well blessed be. What can I say? I'm only slightly lost because like a fool I haven't read the one before but heck if I didn't enjoy this one! I believe Abe and Liz are two of my favorite characters. And I was quite pleased with the story lines and the art work. And even though I wasn't sure what had happened before in the previous works, I was about to continue reading through this volume and get a picture of what had happened.

Poor Abe, is all I can say without letting too much go. I must say
Fraser Sherman
The world continues to fall apart, a teenage psychic helps her friends avoid the growing plagues of monsters, Abe gets an unpleasant development and we find out what's been happening to Liz. Entertaining, but feels more like seeding for the future than a stand-alone story.
Sara Thompson
Ack – what a ride. Hell on Earth is an accurate description of this apocalyptic story from BPRD. I was slightly off kilter not having read volume 1 but this volume let me catch up and enjoy the story. I can’t wait for volume 3. Looks like I’m going to have to do some serious graphic novel shopping. So many good tales lately. This one focused on Abe and Liz. Abe is hunting a teenager who seems to be one step ahead of the disasters while Liz is in hiding and discovers no matter how much you try to ...more
Dan
Disappointing. I can understand that after years of stories, the B.P.R.D. team would feel the need to change things up. But I can't help feeling that they've lost a lot of the magic of the series.

Instead of peeking under rocks and hiding in the shadows, the B.P.R.D. is out in the open on a global scale; the focus of the two tales, "Gods" and "Monsters," is not the team, its adventures, or folklore/mythological concepts, but thinly developed secondary characters; and the dialog in "Monsters" is c
Kevin Mann
Not bad. But not great either. I feel like i have missed so much, it is a difficult series to randomly jump into....this compilation was very slight and the style of these creators always seems rushed and slapped together, even on the works i really like, (!) and i do like some of their stuff. i am ok with that. I hoped for more Abe....best character in this mess. Seriously, I can only recommend this if you get a deal and can buy it for half of listed price, as it will take you less than an hour ...more
Arlomisty
Volume two... this somewhat gruesome continuation of the storyline after Plague of Frogs is just as creepy as volume one... with a girl who is somewhat like a modern Joan of Arc leading roving bands of homeless Americans away from all the cities being destroyed by monsters from other dimensions... sounds hokey, but is a fun read... has a very pulp type action to it. I want to get volume three from the library now and continue the story... what happens next???
James
Some good Liz stuff, some dramatic Abe stuff. Enjoyed this one, a good pacey read.
Craig
Something is off in the pacing of this volume. It feels jumpy and unsure, and perhaps it merely mimics the emotions of the characters, characters who stare in the face of a brave new world and gulp rather loudly. This volume is also bittersweet in that it involves the departure of Guy Davis. Not to say that Crook is shabby, as he seems like a not-too-jarring change from the work of someone who has become synonymous with BPRD. I look forward to more of his work and to seeing what lies in Russia f ...more
Alan
A quick read but it feels a little bit like a place holder in the current B.P.R.D story line. We get foreshadowing of significant changes coming for Abe and Liz (characters familiar to fans of the movies). And, all of this takes place with the monster invasion of Earth and natural disasters ravaging the planet. We are introduced the character Fenix, but we as yet do not have a real clue as to her role in the scheme of things.
Jeff Lanter
To my surprise, the small, almost localized storytelling continues in the second volume of Hell on Earth. There are a couple of nice surprises once again, but overall it felt like the larger plot moved forward only in small ways. At least through the first two volumes, while I like how the world is falling apart and all kinds of new and crazy things are going on globally, I'm still a little curious as to where this is all heading.
Matt
A slighter volume than what usually comes out of the BPRD series, but still good. Of the two stories, I think I probably like the Liz Sherman one better (and I love that, despite the series having shifted focus, the frog cult isn't completely done yet). Guy Davis' art on the first story, like always, is gorgeous. Newcomer Tyler Crook's art isn't bad, though I wish it weren't quite so clean. Still, decent stuff.
Hannah Kane
The art in this series is truly amazing. The Mignolaverse means a lot to me personally, and it's great to see it so lovingly, awe-inspiringly, and truly horrifyingly rendered. Someday, I'd like to thank Mike Mignola personally for creating Liz Sherman. I'm a huge Abe Sapien fan, and this was a great read for me from that standpoint. AAAAAAAAAAAAABE.
Orrin Grey
This seemed like a fairly insubstantial entry into the B.P.R.D. saga, in spite of some pretty big potential repercussions. This was the first time I'd gotten to actually read any of new artist Tyler Crook's work, and I definitely think, while he's a big shift from Guy Davis, that he'll make an awesome regular B.P.R.D. artist.
Tom
Another great addition to the hellboy cannon. Hell on Earth is some really intense reading due to there literally being "hell" on Earth. This volume really makes me want to read all the related books. I like the BPRD art, but Mike Mignola's can't be beat.
Ben
The book is having focus problems. I definitely understand why they started giving more characters their own books. Just too many stories happening. The replacement of Guy Davis halfway through was also a let down as he is one of the best parts of BPRD.
Ryan
I like this entry much more than volume of the new story arc. But I can't help but feel like this isn't really a new story since it's really being caused by the repercussions of the war on frogs. Oh we'll, Mike Mignola can call it new if he wants.
Ben Brackett
The events are so catastrophic around the world in this series now it seems hard to focus. I think once the arc becomes a little more clear I may change my opinion of whether i like this or not.
Michael Larson
I love that Mignola is keeping the stories here in BPRD and in Hellboy moving forward. He's not just promising an apocalypse; he's delivering.

Matt Clark
Nomadic punk tribes! Trailer park cults! I can't wait to get my hands on the next chapter (which is out already so I don't have to).
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 4: Leviathan
  • The Damned, Vol. 1: Three Days Dead
  • Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man (The Carl Barks Library, #12)
  • RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Hellblazer: The Devil's Trenchcoat
  • Fairest, Vol. 2: The Hidden Kingdom
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 1: New World (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #1)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 3: Russia (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #3)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 4: The Devil's Engine & The Long Death (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #4)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 5: The Pickens County Horror and Others (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #5)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Vol. 6: The Return of the Master (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #6)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 7: A Cold Day in Hell (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #7)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 8: Lake of Fire
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 9: The Reign of the Black Flame
  • B.P.R.D Hell on Earth, Vol. 10: The Devil’s Wings
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 11: Flesh and Stone (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #11)
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)