Start by marking “Das Licht von Atlantis” as Want to Read:
Das Licht von Atlantis

Das Licht von Atlantis (The Fall of Atlantis #1-2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,436 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Im Tempel des Lichts dienen die Priesterinnen Domaris und Deoris, bis die Kräfte der Finsternis das Alte Reich bedrohen. Eine geheimnisvolle Bruderschaft will die Macht über die Elemente an sich reißen ... Wie in ihrem großen Roman Die Nebel von Avalon gelingt es Marion Zimmer Bradley, aus der mythischen Überlieferung eine ergreifende Geschichte zu weben.
Published January 1st 1986 by Lübbe (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Das Licht von Atlantis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Licht von Atlantis

Kythe42
The Fall of Atlantis by Marion Zimmer Bradley is the story of two sisters who grow up in the temple of light in the Ancient Land and tells about the difficult decisions and struggles they face and how their relationship is strained as they go down different paths. The story does contain elements of romance and mystery, but it is ultimately about the struggle between the light and the dark, good and evil. Romance isn't really my thing but I did not feel that the romantic elements in this story we ...more
Ronda  Tutt
Jun 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantacy
Simone
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first 70 pages or so, I wasn't impressed. Rather, I was confused. It was clear to see that this book was written prior to "The Mists of Avalon" and the rest of the Avalon series. Things weren't properly explained, especially not the society in which the story takes place, and I barely really understood what happened.

However, the further in I got, the better I liked the book. I began to grow fond of the sisters (Deoris in particular; Domaris never really impressed me until much later in t
Arybo ✨
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molto bello il finale. :)
Lisa Zigue
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que dizer deste livro?...
O próprio nome da autora já suscita, per si, um portal directo para um imaginário de outros mundos e experiências sensíveis, que só ela sabe trabalhar na nossa mente, através dos seus livros. Um fascínio inegável!

Aqui encontrei mais uma leitura envolvente, fluída, que devorei intensamente na recta final, não deixando contudo, de saborear cada instante de desenrolar inteligente e rico do enredo, que nas mãos desta senhora, se torna a maravilha habitual. As personagens sem
Charlotte
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it
"Fall of Atlantis" wasn't bad, at least as far as I came, and sure had some nice moments of atmosphere. Mainly however, there was just nothing about it to make me pick it up again. Nothing happened, not even interesting dialogue, nothing, which was why I ended up not finishing it. Because it wasn't that bad until then, apart from before mentioned problem, three stars, not two, but really not much else.
Chris
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure a book that frequently put me to sleep rates two stars, but I did want to try to understand where the story was going versus putting it the DNF pile and Bradley had two strong women characters in the book, so the extra star. It was such a slog at times it took me a month to read this!!

I had trouble connecting or understanding the world in this fantasy (most of it had nothing to do with Atlantis). The only thing that resonated was the pull between good and evil, and the use of power.
Haleth
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Che bella lettura! Non so se rimpiangere di averci messo un sacco di tempo causa trasloco, o essere contenta di non averlo finito in pochi giorni. Ma quando un libro mi piace così amo divorarlo; non mi piace essere paziente (ne sono perfettamente in grado, ma lo detesto).

Inizialmente pubblicato in due volumi separati, Web of Light e Web of Darkness, Le luci di Atlantide è un antefatto molto "ante" del Ciclo di Avalon, di cui condivide la stessa ambientazione, se non geografica, sicuramente di co
Kate
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was slightly disappointed in this novel, as I have been spoiled by Bradley's other novels related to the Mists of Avalon. I think this may have been written before Mists, though.
As with all of her fantasies, this novel is written from the perspective of strong female characters and has a lot of similar elements to the Mists novels. I cannot recommend it as strongly, however, and i would not recommend it as a first foray into Bradley's works. If you already love Bradley, though, give it a try.
Anna
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited to read this one, finally, to understand where it had all began. And I must say it was a fascinating story with characters I could really relate to, the bitter-sweet story of the sisters Domaris and Deoris, the unbreakable bounds formed between lovers and kins. The ending, as well as some chapters too, even brought tears into my eyes at some parts. This book is different to the following Avalon books for sure, but it's well written and a fantastic tale.
Emily
May 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I love Marion Zimmer Bradley, I didn't feel this was her strongest work. The writing is not up to the same par as some of her other books. I felt lost occasionally while reading this. Bradley writes as though the reader is already well versed in the laws and rituals of her characters, and this time the disconnect was too great to be comfortable.
Melissa
This book is NOTHING like Mists of Avalon. It's an okay story, but Atlantis never actually falls in this book. At the end they talk about how it could happen in 10 years. It's weird. It's an okay story if you like her stuff, but if not don't bother.
Shannan
Reading Marion Zimmer Bradley is like reading a drug. I honestly don't know if this is praise or criticism, but its the only way I can think to describe what its like to get lost in her world. This is added to by her style of writing, which can only be described as "mystical". She's not good, she's not bad - I didn't like it, I didn't dislike it - I was only in awe of her. Standing in awe of her work seems to be the only thing a person can do.

I think I know one reason why this book was so strang
Angela Sandford
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to settle comfortably into this book - to get to know and like the two sisters, Domaris and Deoris- a third of the way into it, I was hooked.
The Fall of Atlantis doesn't actually take place on Atlantis until the very end of the book, and it only prophecies it's downfall.

The book is largely about Domaris and her younger sister Deoris. Their mother died when Deoris was born, and Demoris was like a mother to her younger sister.

Domaris becomes a Priestess of Light, whereas Deo
Ally
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fiction
2.5 Stars

Well-written but I felt like there was a lot of information missing that would have helped me understand certain things. There was very little set up to the story; however I did appreciate some of the characters' development, although the "love story" was akin to a bad fanfiction.

Overall, concept was great and the plot itself interesting, I just wish there was more development and setup. But then, it was originally written as a short story in a magazine, so I suppose I shouldn't have e
Fernando César
Adorei as personagens, não fiquei fã do enredo. Demasiada ficção para parecer real, demasiado real para ser pura fantasia. As personagens, embora sejam apelativas, parecem demasiado caricaturais, demasiado quadradas. Não é o meu género de romance.
Florin Constantinescu
If you want to read a romance novel, purporting to be a fantasy-pseudo-historical novel, then this is the book for you.
If you like your novel with uninteresting characters, again this is the book for you.
Finally, if you dislike plots or any original concepts, read this.
I shouldn't have.
Andrea Cannella
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Amo la Bradley quando non indulge troppo nel mortificare le sue eroine con ogni tipo di soppruso fisico e morale... qui indulge, purtroppo, e la narrazione, nel complesso, tocca quelle vette di noia che talvolta la Marion riesce a percorrere.
Padawan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Je me suis un peu ennuyée avec cette intrigue. J'espère que le tome suivant sera meilleur parce que je pense qu'il s'agissait la d'un prologue et non de la véritable histoire. Dommage ça avait l'air prometteur.
Debb
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Best book of hers I have read.
D.F. Haley
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like the characters, nor did I find the central themes very interesting. I gave up after about 150 pages.
Colleen Moore
Mar 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
London
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Constance
Son Assos tatilim kitap okuma açısından epey bereketli oldu demiştim. Marion Zimmer Bradley'nin bu kitabı da bir oturuşta bitirdiklerimden biri.

Bradley adı fantastik kurgu severlere bir yerlerden mutlaka tanıdık gelecektir. Nereden? Avalon Serisi. Okumadıysanız mutlaka öneririm. İyidir. Bradley kimdir sorusunu soracak olursak, İthaki'nin özetinden belli başlı noktalar şunlar: 1930'da New York'da doğmuş. Anladığım kadarıyla hayatı boyunca her zaman için bir bilimkurgu ve fantazi tutkunu olmuş. E
Danielle
Good! Nice pace and engaging. This story is not based in Atlantis although we meet a couple of Atlantians. And it really leads up to the fall leaving you clues as to what might happen in the aftermath. This story winds up as being a prequel to the Avalon series if I understood this right. A few good layered characters are infused throughout the story. Riveda, Rajasta, Maleina, and Micon stand out to me as the better characters though the two sisters Deoris and Domaris are the main characters the ...more
Terry Calafato
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, sagas
Terza o quarta rilettura...ho comprato questo libro nel 2000. Adesso ho deciso di completare questa meravigliosa saga che mi ha iniziata al genere fantasy e rileggere ovviamente i libri che ho amato.
"Le luci di Atlantide" in effetti si colloca leggermente al di fuori del cosiddetto Ciclo di Avalon, ma di fatto ne è il prequel. I nomi di Isarma e Adsartha ricorrono spesso nelle pagine del Ciclo, rievocando le protagoniste di questo volume.
E come sempre ci troviamo di fronte ad una storia domina
Tinka

Let me say this right away, I did not finish this book. This basically means it will be a short review.

I got this book for free and at first I had no idea that this is two books in one. I don’t know if some parts are shortened or changed to fit them both together, but to me at least it would make a lot of sense.

I know Marion Zimmer Bradley was a g
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1989:]. The title's a bit of a cheat - this book has little or nothing to do with the fall of Atlantis. It's a combination (a little streamlined, I assume) of two previous books, Web of Light and Web of Darkness. Men are not yet banished from this tale as they are later from some of Zimmer Bradley's more radical feminist stuff. But there is a very female viewpoint - much of the plot is to do with love vs. manipulative sex, and with childbearing and childrearing. There a ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MZB Fans
This is actually a book combining what were two different novels, Web of Light, centered on Domaris, Web of Light, and the sequel about her sister Deoris, Web of Darkness. Reviews claim this forms the backstory for Bradley's Avalon series. Not really. When this book came out in 1983, there was no mention or tie to Mists of Avalon within it, I only heard about such a tie when I saw reviews for The Fall of Atlantis. For that matter, the book that ties this in with her Avalon series wasn't even cre ...more
Tita
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2009
Este livro desenrola-se à volta de duas irmãs: Domaris e Deoris, que vivem no Templo da Luz. Domaris, a mais velha já tem o seu futuro decidido, mas Deoris tem ainda hipótese de escolher o seu futuro.
No entanto, Domaris e Deoris apaixonam-se, o que vai alterar os seus destinos, principalmente Deoris que se apaixona por Riveda, um mago cinzento, e acaba prejudicar a própria irmã e levar à destruição do mundo antigo.

Tal como nas Brumas de Avalon, a história centra-se em personagens femininas, no e
Goodreads Librari...: Avalon Series: I think this one is wrong...? 15 182 Jul 12, 2012 09:05AM
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Return to Avalon
  • Celtic Myth & Magick: Harnessing the Power of the Gods and Goddesses (Llewellyn's World Religion and Magic Series)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • A Muralha de Gelo (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #2)
  • Sword and Sorceress 22
  • The Well of Shades (The Bridei Chronicles, #3)
  • The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1)
  • Uther (Camulod Chronicles, #7)
  • The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon, #1-3)
  • Book of Shadows
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

The Fall of Atlantis (2 books)
  • Web of Light (The Fall of Atlantis, #1)
  • Web of Darkness (The Fall of Atlantis, #2)
“The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.” 1648 likes
“All events are but the consummation of preceding causes, clearly seen but not distinctly apprehended.” 3 likes