Start by marking “Glimmer” as Want to Read:
Glimmer

Glimmer

Librarian's note: An alternate cover edition can be found here

By the author of Echoes from the Lost Ones - a new riveting collection of tales. Purchase your copy of this weird and wonderful anthology - including the Award Winning story, 'Glimmer'.

If you enjoy reading high quality fiction, then these seven tales of mysterious liaisons, supernatural intrigue, deathly haunt

Published December 9th 2013 by Nicola McDonagh

To ask other readers questions about Glimmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glimmer

Lesley Hayes
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Glimmer and other stories’ is a miniature treasure chest of jewels. I absolutely loved these short stories. As I was reading, I fell into a trance of adjectival excess... they were mesmerising, masterful, original, eloquent, lyrical, clever... There are some books I know I will return to, to savour them again with the same pleasure, and this is one of them. Nicola McDonagh’s use of language is subtly poetic; the words flow with a sensuous rhythm that carries the reader along on a wave of colour ...more
Susan Day
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this series of short stories, Nicola McDonagh has showcased her writing skills, as well as, her vast imagination. The stories are linked together even though the subjects and the settings are worlds apart. The thread that binds them is the author’s ability to immediate place the reader in the scene and have them take up the journey with the protagonist. This is a remarkable skill that is evident in each of these tales.
Lorraine Carey
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like a Glimpse into Another Dimension!

Being a paranormal enthusiast, Glimmer was a recommended read by a friend. It was like a glimpse into another dimension. Some of these shorts felt as though I had time traveled either into the past or the future. Author Nicola McDonagh is a master with painting a visual image for each story to transport you there. I was highly entertained, inspired and intrigued. Definitely worth a five star rating.
Queen Spades
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royally-favored
Abbreviated version is here. Full version on KARR segment of TRB.

I purchased the electronic version a few months ago. Yet I’ve always been a fan of having a paperback copy (especially autographed paperback copies). I was in this book release party for another book this author is a part of, Aspiring to Inspire. One of the prizes given out was an autographed paperback copy of Glimmer. Guess who was lucky enough to win one?

It was very difficult for me to pick an overall favorite out of this showcas
Queen Spades
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: royally-favored
Abbreviated version is here. Full version on KARR segment of TRB.

It was very difficult for me to pick an overall favorite out of this showcas
Penny Grubb
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m pleased to find myself reviewing another short story collection. Not long ago, the short story was a dying breed and it is so good to see quality short fiction hitting the shelves. Glimmer is a short collection of just seven stories, each one a gem.

The first story is itself called Glimmer which is a shrewd title for a powerful narrative that presents the reader with an unreliable narrator, but no way to tell how unreliable, all we get are the glimmers of her life.

The Reclaimed Merman starts
Mike Billington
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It looked as though the sky had turned to liquid and was running down a tree trunk."
Author Nicola McDonagh has a way of putting the reader in the moment with vivid imagery and her book 'Glimmer and Other Stories' is a wonderful example of her ability to do just that. Her writing is, quite simply, beautiful.
That said, I should add at this point that I don't believe this is a book for every reader. I say that because these are, by the author's own admission, "strange" stories. Strange in the sens
Chris Harrison
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seven short stories all with one thing in common: intrigue. As the title of this collection suggests Nicola McDonagh's seven tales shift in the light, never quite settling in tangible form. From the opening story, the eponymous Glimmer, to the final tale Rousseau Suburban Jungle you won't quite know where you're being taken by the narrative.

But don't take that as a criticism. McDonagh has absolute control over the writing and carefully leads the reader towards the final reveal. What you won't fi
Tom Benson
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a collection of seven short stories which demonstrate that this writer understands her craft and is at home in the fictional worlds that she creates, which I believe is important. In every story I was impressed by the imagery, possibly because it is an area I focus on myself. It may just be me, but I felt I was drawn into the tales at a different stage in each case.
The stories themselves are all well written and will appeal to a wide audience, but alas they were not really to my personal ta
Nicua
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ms. McDonagh has such a unique and wonderful storytelling voice. She pulls you into the story and holds you spellbound as she unfolds the tale she wishes to tell.
Even though this genre is not one I normally read and several of the subjects I am not comfortable with, Ms. McDonagh's skill has shone through in all of them.
Her voice is such that you would immediately recognize it, she doesn't rely upon the blue-prints of other authors and her writing never has the feel of much used lines.
A collec
Tam May
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My Amazon review:

I'm glad that I found this short story collection. I really enjoyed the stories, especially the way in which the author left some aspects open and unexplained so that the reader could use his or her imagination. The writing is skillful, engaging the reader in both story and character right away in all the stories. My only comment would be that I consider the stories more on the side of magical realism rather than mystery and suspense. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this boo
Theresa
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although not my normal reading genre (reason for the 4 stars), I really enjoyed these short stories written with lots of imagination and insight into the workings of the mind. My favorite was "On the Eighth Day." I won't disclose why because it would give away the story. For me all the stories represent an alternative interpretation of events, an alternative vision of the world, sometimes scary and sometimes poignant. Seemingly normal events metamorphosed into the surreal. I would recommend it.
Stevie Turner
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘Glimmer’ by Nicola McDonagh is a book consisting of several short stories, each one quite original in content; indeed I could never have thought up or imagined ‘On The Eighth Day’ (which actually I found a little bit disturbing!). I enjoyed more the two arty stories at the end, and imagine that Nicola must be quite artistic herself to have written them.

There were a couple of typos and editing errors, but on the whole I can say that the stories are well worth reading. I would recommend this boo
Chantelle Atkins
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I came across this author by chance and I am so glad that I did. This dark collection of supernatural short stories was like nothing I have ever read before. Each were haunting, captivating and written in a very unique style that left me wanting more. In fact, once I had finished I immediately downloaded this authors novel Echoes From The Lost Ones
Marc Secchia
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some stories I loved but other stories veered too much to the macabre for my taste. The writing is at times quite beautiful, which as a fellow-author, I loved. Recommended only if you're not the squeamish sort.
Daphne Demuir
May 03, 2014
Elle Klass
Mar 16, 2017
Dawn
May 01, 2015
Courtney Ashley
rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2014
Melissa
Karen Bainbridge
Lynda
Dec 26, 2013
Nicola McDonagh was born in Liverpool and is a creative writing tutor and photographer. Originally she trained as a photojournalist, then decided to do something more theatrical and gained a Hons. Degree in Drama and English Literature.

Nicola spent many years as an actor, scriptwriter and workshop leader, but gave all that up when she moved to Suffolk UK and became fascinated by the beauty of her