Start by marking “Marriage Under Fire: Why We Must Win This Battle” as Want to Read:
Marriage Under Fire: Why We Must Win This Battle

Marriage Under Fire: Why We Must Win This Battle

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Why "shouldn't" the definition of family be broadened and modernized? What harm could be done by two consenting adults who love one another coming together to create a binding union? In this succinct analysis of the issue, Dr. James Dobson presents a compelling case against the legalization of “marriage” between homosexuals, and the dire ramifications our nation could face ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Multnomah Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage Under Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage Under Fire

Megan
I read this book because it was short and worked for a challenge. It was an okay book, not very much depth, but it definitely was a bit outdated (what with it being written over ten years ago). I think the main point of it was to spark a fire in you to take action if this was an issue of importance for you, and in that regard it's still relevant. Overall, though this wouldn't be a book I recommend just because it's so dated, maybe if they updated it.

3 1/2 stars.
Janet
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great explainations with evidence of WHY we need to defend marriage
Alex
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians and Skeptics of the Nuclear Family
This book gives you the facts about the assault on traditional values of a man and a woman being in a immediate family. The statistics, facts and studies behind this book exposes what happens when you deviant from God's design for sexuality. Spoiler: The Left wants to destroy the fabric of society by marginalizing the family, because of some incident that they personally had within their own life.
Cordelia
I read this on my break at work once, just for the laughs. Did you know that children of gay parents are likely to be victims of child abuse? And that they all grow up to experiment with their sexuality, do copious amounts of drugs, and commit suicide? LOOK AT THE STATISTICS WHICH ARE CONVENIENTLY MISSING FROM THIS BOOK!

Seriously, worth a read for a good laugh.
Adam Nelson
I gave this book 3 stars because Dobson speaks some good spiritual truth. The book is rather too short to give this subject the proper, grace-centered focus, and so it comes off, unintentionally, as a work of condemnation. Yes, the subject matter is urgent and requires urgent debate, but it can't be rapid-fire like this.

I'm not really one to try to pick fights over subjects like homosexual marriage, so this review will be rather brief. I have gay friends whom I love and bear compassion for. Yes
Mattgro
Jul 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dobson Fans
It is not that Dobson is grasping-- he is actually right on the money. However, this book feels way too disjointed. Polemics usually feel rigidly structured; that is how you know what you are reading. Without such a structure, it begins to seem like an exercise in rhetoric. As a consequence, the substance is lost amidst a rushed and incoherent style. If, however, you can put up with repetition and tangential explorations then Dobson's message will ring true for someone who wants to fully learn w ...more
Karen Barker
Very controversial read. I received it when my husband subscribed to their kids magazines (Club and Club Jr.). I don't consider myself to be as conservative as some of Dobson's teachings but I do believe you should be aware of what all groups of people are thinking just to be informed.
Anna Motteler
I only liked one part about this book and it was when he was talking about an early Valentine's day with his wife. Other than that, I just wasn't feeling the "preaching" of this novel.
Ashley
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was for a class. It was definitely an interesting dive into a perspective very different than mine.
S
I'm simply too upset to write a review for this book.

:: hurls book against wall ::
Patrick
A bit of exaggeration here and there detracts from Dobson's argument, but the overall message is reasonable and kind from a Christian perspective.
Alexandra
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do about It
  • Morning by Morning
  • Cracking the Communication Code: The Secret to Speaking Your Mate's Language; Love for Her, Respect for Him
  • The Power Of Praying Together
  • Intimate Allies
  • Living Beyond the Limits: A Life in Sync with God
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Life Without Strife: How God Can Heal and Restore Troubled Relationships
  • Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • Decision Making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View
  • In Defense of Israel, Revised: The Bible's Mandate for Supporting the Jewish State
  • Truth Decay: Defending Christianity Against the Challenges of Postmodernism
  • The New Tolerance: How a Cultural Movement Threatens to Destroy You, Your Faith, and Your Children.
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • Getting the Message: A Plan for Interpreting and Applying the Bible
James C. Dobson is a psychologist, commentator, and writer. He is the founder of Focus on the Family, a group advocating what he views as Christian ethics and political conservatism, and hosts a radio program of the same name.
More about James C. Dobson...