Start by marking “The Secrets of Dr. Taverner” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Secrets of Dr. Tav...

Fortune Magazine

The Secrets of Dr. Taverner

This collection of short stories revolves round a magician who helps the insane. Through soul-swapping and journeys into other dimensions, he frees his patients from mental torment. Each story conatins a message concerning the tremendous power of magic and the uses and abuses of that power. Dion Fortune is the author of several occult novels, including The Demon Lover, The ...more
Published December 31st 1989 by Thorsons Publishers (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Dr. Taverner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Dr. Taverner

Pinar
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, occult
still reading it but am more than halfway through. this is the first book by Dion Fortune (Violet Mary Firth), the famous occult writer, I am reading and am very pleasantly surprised. I had heard her fiction writing was really good (in addition to her well known non-fiction occult titles) but had no idea until I picked up this book on my Kindle. Dr. Taverner is a Sherlock Holmes-like character -but MUCH more loveable- tackling paranormal/occult cases. as almost every other commentator had also p ...more
K.J. Charles
Collection of occult stories by your actual practitioner in the 30s. Not as terrible as you might think, though there are basically only two plots: reincarnation, and being a weird elemental. These both keep happening and our Watson never sees it coming.

Horrendous ableism TW, really nasty. One quite good story where an Anglo Indian gets consequences for discarding his mistress, with actual acknowledgement of the abuses of men and colonialism.
Mrs. Woodhouse
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-reads
This is a splendid read of paranormal/occult fiction. A collection of 12 stories originally published in magazines during the 1920s, the tales follow the adventures of a Sherlock Holmes type of character, the great psychic detective Doctor Taverner, and his assistant Dr. Rhodes (Taverner's Dr. Watson). The stories are written as case studies from Dr. Rhodes' point-of-view. Rhodes has emerged from the Great War with shattered nerves and a wish for a quiet life in the English countryside. Instead, ...more
Mel
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been slowly reading my way through these stories as an ebook. At first the writing style appeared clumsy, each case was solved and then Dr Tavverner would sit and explain the occult principles or the "message" of each tale. But as the stories progressed they got more interesting and less heavy handed. There are some beautiful, spooky and romantic stories as well as some interesting discussion of the Western Magical Tradition.
Having had a background in psychology I found the setting of the
Carlotta
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed this book, both as a "novel", as a teaching on the personal inner path Dion Fortune so much wished to bring in her books, and as an account of a different method of approach to certain subjects.

The book is written from the point of view of Doctor Rhodes, that becomes a helper at the psychiatric clinic of Doctor Taverner, together they meet peculiar medical cases, that are approached by Taverner with a method different from any existing one at the time the book was written... r
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So entertaining to read this book as metaphysical Sherlock Holmes/Watson cases. I truly loved the characters of Dr. Taverner/Dr. Rhodes. These stories are stranger than fiction. That is for sure. In particular, the first story, called Blood Lust, a vampire tale, illustrated to me just how flat that genre has become in modern story-telling. Much better to deal with it from an etheric point of view. Very other-worldly undertones in these cases that leaves one unsettled at times. These stories are ...more
Halvor (Raknes)
I very much enjoyed reading this book. It may even have provided me with one or two insights even given its fiction format. Dion Fortune writes quite well and it is quite interesting to get a description of the milieu in which occultism plays an integrated part, even though the protagonist is ostensibly an uninitiate.
Gwyndyllyn
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult-fiction
Tons of wisdom in these tales...and gerat fun to read. Dion Fortune is FANTASTIC. No occultist should be without her texts.
Jen
I need to think about this before I can give it a rating
Blue
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourites. Fascinating!
Joshua
A fun book of Victorian mysteries presented in sort of an X-Files format where the supernatural is real and makes a difference in solving each case.
Shadow N
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent novel it is a mixture of Carl Gustav Jung with a touch of Dr Strange (from marvel comics) and Sherlock holmes. It is an interesting read with pointings of how the unconscious mind works from an occultist point of view but nevertheless an interesting read plus very entertaining.
Jesse
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occult detective fiction by a real occultist. This one is interesting. It is from an era where supernatural themes and psychological science fiction themes were indistinguishable... Kind of the same way that A Princess of Mars was conceived as science fiction, but reads like low fantasy now. The further science progresses, the stranger old sci-fi looks.
Ginger
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best occult fiction writers!
Ken B
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
3 1/2 STARS
Alan
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The easiest of the Dion Fortune fictional books to read. This is a collection of short stie, which are possibly based upon one of Dions own teachers, Theodore Moriarty. Origionally published as seperate short stories, they were then collected together & published as a collection in 1926, these stories make for light & easy reading.
Wreade1872
As supernatural detective fiction goes, this is quite good. It's about a doctor who runs an asylum but is a sort of wizard on the side and each chapter is a different 'monster-of-the-week' style story about a patient. It covers the usual assortment, ghosts, dark magic, past lives, nature spirits etc.
Eija
Salatieteitä harjoittavassa looshissa mukana oleva tohtori Taverner ratkoo parapsykologisia ja okkultisia tapahtumavyyhtejä omien potilaittensa maailmasta sekä ulkopuolelta.

Menettelevä, kerronta ei erityisen hyvää, mutta luettavaa.
Nicole Diamond
Nov 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Aaron Meyer
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
Based on real life events. There are stories here that are very enlightening particularly if you read Psychic Self-Defense right after.
Matt Kelland
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to love this. Now, it feels stilted and superficial.
Angela Pippinger
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weiser-books

And this book has 221 pages, not 240.
Sabrina
Mrs.
Feb 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Credit 3 18 Oct 17, 2017 09:59AM

• Speak Daggers to Her (Bast Mystery, #1)
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • Women of the Golden Dawn: Rebels and Priestesses: Maud Gonne, Moina Bergson Mathers, Annie Horniman, Florence Farr
  • Archangels 101: How to Connect Closely with Archangels Michael, Raphael, Uriel, Gabriel and Others for Healing, Protection, and Guidance
  • Finding Myself
  • Untitled (Keeper of Lost Cities, #9)
  • Walkers Between the Worlds: The Western Mysteries from Shaman to Magus
  • American Transcendentalism: A History
  • Meditation and Kabbalah
  • Darkness at Dawn
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Life Between Lives: Hypnotherapy for Spiritual Regression
  • Runelore: The Magic, History, and Hidden Codes of the Runes
  • The Coming of the Cosmic Christ
  • The Compleat Traveller in Black
“We went down, down, down, faster and faster, and just as we were going to crash I felt something. I can’t say I saw anything, but I got the feel of a pair of eyes. Can you realize what I mean? And when I came round from my three days’ down-and-out I was in love.” “What do you dream about?” asked Taverner. “All sorts of things; nothing especially nightmary.” “Do you notice any kind of family likeness in your dreams?” “Now you come to mention it, I do. They all take place in brilliant sunshine. They aren’t exactly Oriental, but that way inclined.” Taverner laid before him a book of Egyptian travel illustrated in water-colours. “Anything like that?” he inquired. “My hat!” exclaimed the man. “That’s the very thing.” He gazed eagerly at the pictures, and then suddenly thrust the book away from him. “I can’t look” 0 likes