Start by marking “The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)

The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  611 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
THRILL SEEKER
Dangling silently in front of a cave eighty feet down the cliff's edge, the man snaps a picture of the enraged mountain lion. The furious beast lunges...but the man is gone, back up the rope.

JUSTICE DEALER
When a judge releases two unrepentant killers on a legal technicality, North Carolina police Lieutenant Cam Richter knows facing the victims' grieving famil
Published October 31st 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Dancers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Dancers

William Bentrim
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Cat Dancers by P.T. Deutermann
Sometimes book titles can convey a sense of what to expect in the book. In this case, the author’s name provides much more than the book title. I have come to expect complex, detailed thrillers form Mr. Deutermann and this book does not disappoint me. A straight arrow cop is confronted with circumstances that cast aspirations on the ethical behavior of some of his comrades in Blue. The ensuing conflict provides excellent entertainment as Cam, Frick and Frack fac
Carl Alves
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
A cat dancer, as in the title of this novel, is a mountain climber who get as close as possible to take a snap shot of a mountain lion. It seemed that the author really wanted to write a novel that features these cat dancers, and built a story to incorporate it that sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t work. Linking the plot to the cat dancers is a man who gets electrocuted in a homemade electric chair by vigilante killers. Lt. Cam Richter is investigating the case and winds up in the mountains ...more
Nan Williams
The plot started out well, but midway through the book veered off into the ridiculous. It was one of those plots where the bad guy was always 2 steps ahead of the good guys and could thwart them at every turn.

I had a hard time accepting the tenets of the plot as they were just too, too fantastic and became more and more so with each page.

To me, the "Big Bad Guy" was quite obvious from the introduction of that character. Why in the world our hero, Cam Richter, couldn't see that, really dumbed hi
Dee
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this rather long and drawn out. And mostly figured it out and kept wondering how this amazing deputy kept missing all the obvious. So since I usually don't figure out the culprit very often I was not all that impressed.
JoDee
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Cam is a character my husband understand better than I do. It is sexist to say that but his viewpoint is very masculine.
Ray
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Upon seeing the title of this book, I was a little hesitant to start reading. Now I have read it and happy that I did. This an oustandjng Mystery novel and is extremely well written.
Cindy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has it all! Action, suspense, romance, complex characters...I could not put it down.
Jim
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Career criminals Kyle "K-Dog" Simmonds and his partner "Flash" Butts go on trial for a gruesome crime. But unfortunatley for the D.A.'s
office Judge Annie Bellamy throws the case out of court on a technicality. Protagonist Lt. Cam Richter shortly thereafter receives an e-mail with K-Dog strapped into a makeshift electric chair. A vigilante has taken matters into their own hands. After K-Dog is executed on line the vigilante promises "Flash" will be next. Cam and his sidekick Kenny Cox are on th
Kyla Zerbes
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm still listening/reading so maybe my rating will go up but so far, this is super unbelievable.
Spoilers - They probably should have done some more investigating before deciding one person was the likely suspect (2 relatives plus others, the DA, and a couple of the cops were all possibilities). And I'm sorry but their computer expert is a huge conflict of interest and should have been a potential suspect so would not have been involved in potentially covering up her own crime. WTF?! Especially
Irene
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
An excellent mystery with many twists and turns, especially at the end.

When 2 minimart robbers who blew up the minimart, killing the clerk and 2 innocent bystanders are let off by a judge by a technicality, a vigilante group surfaces seeking justice. Justice comes in terms of an internet video starring the minimart robber being electrocuted in a homemade electric chair with the executioner ending the video saying "That's one." Number two, the second robbers video shortly follows, ending with "T
Tom Tischler
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Two lowlifes rob a N.C. gas station murder the attendant and
incinerate bystanders. They are quickly arrested at a nearby
motel. A stubborn judge dismisses the charges because the suspects
were not read their rights. Now the sheriffs office and Lt. Cam
Richter must face the anger of the victims families. Soon a home
made video is on the internet showing one of the murderers being
executed with a home made electric chair and a voice announcing
"That's one". Facing intense pressure to find the vigilant
Mark Boyd
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I read the sequel to this series first, (unknowingly), I still enjoyed Cat Dancers and was able to connect all the dots between this book and Spider Mountain. Deutermann has a good style of writing and can carry the suspense and drama of the story without tipping any hands. I enjoy his protagonist Cam Richter. He is a blend of badass, intelligent sleuth with a touch of lonely boy looking for love in all the wrong places. But his companions, Frick and Frack, trained attack german shepher ...more
Phaedrus
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Do yourself a favor and get the paperback version. The Kindle version is full of conversion errors. ("the" = "die"???) Don't they proofread them?
That aside, I have mixed feelings about this book. The story is good, although a bit far-fetched in places. If I ignored the mental questions that kept bubbling up, then there were some gripping moments. However, there were also parts that felt contrived. Some of the dialogue, in particular, didn't come across well.
This is the first in a series, and af
Megargee
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Perhaps because of my long time association with law enforcement officers, I had trouble accepting the basic premises of the conspiracy and found some of the characters unbelievable. Without spoiling the plot, where would you find officers who not only motivated enough to participate but physically fit enough to pass the initiation? (Do cops not eat doughnuts in North Carolina?) At the end, don't ask how a handful of conspirators managed to pull off the ultimate abduction. Still, except for a d ...more
Lauren
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Had some foul language (and a few pages voiced by the extremely potty-mouthed robber) and two characters that got together for sex, but it was neither descriptive or graphic. There was a few segments of significant violence that was graphic enough that I skipped over a few paragraphs. The good part of this book was that it was totally unpredictable. I also liked the realism of it, having months go by in the book for the investigation. Of course the entire pretext of the book isn't very realistic ...more
Jan
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the first of P.T. Deutermann's books for me.. and I will be reading more. In this suspense novel,Police Lieutenant Cam Richter is trying to solve multiple murders. But are the murders cops or vigilantes, or both? Friends become enemies and enemies become friends. "We are inside the law-enforcement system".. This is a direct quote from the book and as Cam realizes he is in for the fight of his life, the reader realizes everything is not as it seems. Who are the good guys? Who are the bad ...more
Joe Newell
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a good read. It had an interesting plot that played itself out very well throughout the book. Deutermann did a good job keeping me engaged the entire time. My only complaint was that it seemed like it should have ended sooner. Like the Author just added a few dozen extra twists and turns to the plot and finale that were (to me) perhaps a bit unnecessary. Still, it IS A THRILLER, and so that's what we read for right?

Four stars. Very worth your time should you be inclined.
Farhan
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
An outdoorsy police procedural which is somewhat superior than most other novels of its kind, albeit long-winded. When a gas station robbery turns ugly and results in the death of a mother and daughter who happened to be there at the wrong time, a group of vigilante cops comes to light who have been dispensing their own brand of justice. Even though this one wasn't a top-notch thriller, I am going to give a shot to other novels of Mr. Deutermann, since he seems a very capable writer.
Jo
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Dick Hills reading of this book was very good.
The book itself was good but not great. Therefor the three star rating. Got a bit too detailed and repetitive in spots which made me pay less attention to the story. I will "read" the following books in his series to see if the story/writing progresses as it goes forward. Some writers John Grisham (A Time to Kill)start by writing their best work. I hope this is not the case for this author.
Marci
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced thriller which was hard to put down. A robbery gone wrong in which two civilians get killed. The problem when the preps are arrested they are not read their Miranda rights. They are set free, but a vigilant group picks up where the law left off...could the vigilantes be cops? Looking forward to further adventures with Cam.
Shugak
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I found this book/author listed on another website. This is the first in a series and halfway through I am very pleased with the storyline and the telling of the story. Completed the book and was very pleased. The story ending was not neatly wrapped...was to much story to to that. Will be looking for the next book in the series. Interesting story, believable characters. Highly recommended.
Mark
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like Deutermann's US Navy WWII novels so I thought I'd give the Cam Richter series a shot...very good...reminiscent of Ace Atkins Quinn Colson series...rural southern law enforcement, etc., but set in North Carolina...Richter uncovers a group of thrill-seeking, vigilante cops and will have to pay a price for his investigations...Solid!!!
Annie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
After reading the fourth book in this series, I was intrigued enough to pick up the lst Cam Richter story to learn the back story of how it all began. Definitely worth the read. I'm also new to Deutermann but I like his style, the pace he sets, and the characters he has created. I'll no doubt start checking out his other books, outside of this series, as well.
Katy
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a page-turner; and not looking for something memorable.
Deutermann is a new find for me. He writes mystery thrillers, sometimes in the spy arena and sometimes cop stories. I find he keeps me turning pages, but his fondness for a "big twist" at the end turns me off a little. His characters are likeable and his plots intrigue me. When I find his books in the library or used bookstore I grab them.
Dan Smith
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW.. The first of the Cam Richter series.. it was outstanding. P.T. Deutermann has created an outstanding character. I think there are only 4 books in the Ricter Series, but there needs to be more. I have read two of them. Am looking forward to the third.

I could not put it down. Had the time to read and finished the book in just over a day.
Renee
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable mystery to listen to on audio book, with enough plot twists to keep me going back. Dick Hill's narration is a plus. I am going to give the next in the series a try if the library has it.
Dlytle
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a mystery with surprise twists. Even though I suspected the guilty, I was still surpised at how it played out. This is my second Cam Richter novel,and while I liked both, I definitely preferred this one.
Beth
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to listen to this book, because the reader, Dick Hill, is fabulous. I am glad I did; I can;t wait to listen to the next in the series. This is a high energy mystery; just the right amount of twists and turns with lots of danger added in.
Kathy
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kathy-s-shelf
This book started slow, with a scene that did not seem to fit in with the rest of the book (it matched the title, though). A little before pg. 200, it all started to come together & from then on it was pretty much nonstop. I did enjoy it & would read another book by Mr. Deutermann.
Debbie Golding
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What are cat dancers? The scene is set in the beginning which gives the reader an idea, but you find out more toward the exciting conclusion. In the meantime, Lt. Cam has his hands full with investigating some disturbing murders and it becomes very personal.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #37 - The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter #1) 1 3 Apr 21, 2016 05:55AM
P.T. Deutermann's Work-Incredibly Subtle Spoofs 1 3 Aug 12, 2014 11:46AM
Plausibility and Lack of 1 2 Jul 27, 2014 11:46PM
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Watch Me
  • The Second Horseman
  • The Blue Hour (Merci Rayborn, #1)
  • The Crime Writer
  • Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement
  • Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future
  • Legends
  • The Voice
  • With a Vengeance
  • Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature
  • Broken Places (Rachel Goddard Mystery #3)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck #10)
  • Sky Woman Falling
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)
  • House Blood (Joe DeMarco, #7)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Prepared For Rage (Coast Guard #2)
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of eighteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association; his other World War II novels are Ghosts of Bungo ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...

Cam Richter (4 books)
  • Spider Mountain (Cam Richter, #2)
  • The Moonpool (Cam Richter, #3)
  • Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4)