Start by marking “The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)

The Bloomsday Dead (Dead Trilogy #3)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,453 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
In the heart-stopping finale of the Dead trilogy, tough guy Michael Forsythe -- bad-boy antihero of the critically acclaimed "Dead I Well May Be" and "The Dead Yard" -- returns to his native Ireland, where a dangerous and beautiful old flame forces Michael to look for her daughter, who has mysteriously disappeared in Belfast.Laying low in South America, Michael has been ru ...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Scribner Book Company (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Bloomsday Dead, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

John of Canada
Not as funny as some of McKinty's other Forsythe books but one of the most thrilling finishes ever.I loved the ending.This was a fine ending to the 'Dead' series,but we are not entirely finished with Mr.
Forsythe.See Falling Glass.Three thumbs up for Adrian McKinty!
Mainer207
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I LOVED this!!! I shouldn't have - too much murder - but it was delightful. How strange that is. In a few cases I felt like I was reading about a gang that shouldn't shoot straight. Michael is adorable - for a cold-blooded killer. That's what makes this a confusing series. I smiled and laughed throughout this book. And cringed. I figured out most of the story long before the end but that didn't diminish the enjoyment.

I know I should be bothered by the line of bodies Michael leaves on several con
Ryan
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: McKinty Fans, Michael Forsythe Fans, adults
Sharon
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
the finale of the trilogy; exciting and a page turner; must read all 3 to appreciate this.
comfort
This is the final chapter in this series and this time Michael is contacted by an ex- not quite girlfriend to come back to Ireland and help find her kidnapped daughter.
Previously to this contact,she has had a bunch of hit-men after him for years and years as Michael killed her then fiancé- which sort of was the end of some of his troubles and the start of new troubles.

After several mishaps along the way - which Michael thinks MAY be this womans way of getting back at him, but which she denies he
Andrew
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The third and final book in the Michael Forsythe storyline. With Bridget back in the story his emotions get the better of him. I kind of guessed the ending and am a bit indifferent about it, but the twist threw me for a great loop. I can't get enough of Adrian McKinty's stuff and would LOVE to see these turned into movies.
Barbara
Love this guy Michael Forsyth. These books would make great action films. Too bad Liam Neeson is too old for the role. Cliffhanger to the end and Michael is a one-man tour de force who gets out of impossible situation after impossible situation. The Belfast setting is a big plus, and at the end you wonder what's next. Want to see if there has been a follow up to this because I have to know....
Pegeen
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
uses at its frame James Joyce's "Ulysses" somewhat in homage and somewhat as a satire --- every Irishman is presumed to have read and committed Ulysses to heart, correct? Once in a while a bit over the top in the physical damage Michael emerges still ticking from, but other than that , I loved it. Listened to the Audible version read by Gerald Doyle -- outstanding narration.
Sandi
The final book in the Michael Forsythe trilogy and just as good as the previous two. Totally engrossing from the first with excellent action/violence and a well described Belfast setting. Listened to the audio version narrated by Gerard Doyle who really brings Michael to life.
Seana
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Though this is the last in the Michael Forsythe trilogy, it's where I started. I was drawn in by the Bloomsday angle, and the book, though it ranges far from Dublin, actually is plotted very closely around Joyce's famous day in the life of strategy. A pleasure, on many levels.
Carolyn Rose
John Marsh
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Criticalmick
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tourists! Your Bloomin' Attention Please!

Every year, tens of thousands of Irish-Americans touch down in Dublin city, their holidays devoted to the goal of soaking up their ancestral culture like so many hyphenated sponges. Many of these visitors purchase Ulysses, a masterpiece by one of the 20th century's most influential authors, James Joyce (1882-1941).

Those tourists are big fat suckers. I tried reading Ulysses when studying literature at UCD. I worked hard on that novel for months. In despair
Richard Wagner
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
great fun! i thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy. i highly recommend it. the writing is wonderful, thoughtful, and poetic. but, i suggest that you read the books in order. while each can stand on it's own, the development of the main character, Michael Forsythe, is something to behold. as the trilogy begins, Michael is young "wetback" as he calls himself, newly arrived in NYC from the old sod. by the end he is a near comic book version of a super (anti)hero. great job, Mr McKinty!
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audio, ireland
Once again, Adrian McKinty delivered an amazing listen, and Gerard Doyle can whisper in my ear anytime. Even if he's whispering about torture and Irish mob hits. This novel is full of both, and it kept me entertained on a cross-country roadtrip just fine!

If you like thrillers and action movies and kickass characters, give McKinty a try.
Maylin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, crime
I guess this is the last book in the series. It did tie up most of the loose ends but I wouldn't mind seeing how things pan out a few years later. A bit like the old western gunslingers having a rep like Michael attracts trouble.

A bit like the John Rain books I find the morals dubious and it makes me uneasy but they are certainly a good read.
David C Ward
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 3 1/2 stars because the ending is tremendously over the top. Up until then it's a very good chase novel involving a missing girl and a lot of local paramilitaries and gangsters. If you can't see the family twist coming you haven't read many suspense novels. The Forsyth books are not as good as McKinty's Sean Duffy series but are good reads. As always, there are more than a few good jokes.
Honeyeater
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, crime, irish
Fabulous! I loved this series.
Ano
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fastest paced of the three books in the Dead Series. Really enjoyed the pace of this one.
Myrna
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favourite in the trilogy.
Judith
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am happy that Michael wasn't killed off. I am trying to find more of Mr. McKinty.s books.
ELIZABETH TIERNEY
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes I said Yes I will yes.

Gosh, he is super! Great, great read. Read all three. And then move on to Sean Duffy!
Patrick Donovan
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery in a series re Michael Forsythe; full of twists and turns with plenty of Irish black humor to entertain all Irish mystery readers and all who wish they were.
Jean
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Blackstone Audio; Gerard Doyle, narrator) Continuation of McKinty's fictionalized examination of the American-Irish/Irish/Northern Irish Underworld and its complicated ties to the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Michael Forsythe's only alternative-ever-is to shoot the guy.
Helen
Published: Serpent’s Tail, 2008
ISBN: 978-1-84668-631-3

First line: State LY Plum P. Buck Mulligan.

In hiding from his old enemies, Michael Forsythe is working as head of security in a big hotel in Lima, Peru. Returning to his room one night he is ambushed by two gunmen who, instead of killing him, hand him a phone. The voice on the other end is that of his old girlfriend, Bridget Callaghan. Twelve years ago Michael killed her mob boss fiancé, and ever since Bridget has been trying to settle the sc
Karen
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE BLOOMSDAY DEAD is the third book in the Michael Forsythe "Dead" Trilogy - DEAD I WELL MAY BE and THE DEAD YARD are the earlier books. There's an awful lot to really like in THE BLOOMSDAY DEAD.

Firstly, it is the third book in a trilogy but I've been very remiss and haven't yet read the first two (which failing I vow to rectify). Didn't matter. You can follow the story, you can glean the back story of Michael and how he got himself into the mess that he's trying to resolve in THE BLOOMSDAY DEA
Gary
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Michael Forsythe's transformation to the stone-cold killer without remorse is definitively and brutally completed in "The Bloomsday Dead", the stunning conclusion to the "Dead" trilogy - Adrian McKinty's epic landmark experiment in cross breeding violence and poetry with an unmistakably Irish brand of black humor.

This time around, our fugitive/hero Michael Forsythe, now early 30s, is running security for a luxury hotel in Lima, Peru. Seems that ex-lover and current nemesis Bridget Callaghan is
Bruce Humbert
Great ending and wrap up to the trilogy
Brice
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Michael Forsythe is the lead investigator of the kidnapping of Siobhan. He works alone, little money to get around, dodgeing thugs and cops. Adrian mckinity wrote the this mystery based in the country of Ireland. The bloomsday Dead. I liked this book the most of all because you can really visualize it, its surreal in a way where this could actually happen and the book is based around a 48-hour time period.
The book happens around when the catholics and the protestans seperate the country of Irel
Jonathan
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
The final book in McKinty's "Dead" trilogy (Dead I May Well Be and The Dead Yard are the first two) is yet another rollicking action packed book. Michael Forsythe, the trilogy's protagonist, is a fast talking, literary quoting, violent man, prone to shooting first and asking questions later and in this book he heads back home to Belfast, Ireland to confront his main antagonist.

The book starts with Forsythe finally finding a comfortable hiding place in Peru, but of course this comes crashing down
  • The Devil (Jack Taylor, #8)
  • All the Dead Voices (Ed Loy, #4)
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • Dark Times in the City
  • Eight Ball Boogie
  • The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8)
  • The Damned Season
Adrian McKinty is an Irish novelist. He was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1968 and grew up in Victoria Council Estate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim. He read law at the University of Warwick and politics and philosophy at the University of Oxford. He moved to the United States in the early 1990s, living first in Harlem, New York and from 2001 onwards Denver, Colorado where he taught high sch ...more
More about Adrian McKinty

Dead Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dead I Well May Be (Dead Trilogy #1)
  • The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2)