Start by marking “The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)

The Bloomsday Dead

(Dead Trilogy #3)

In the heart-stopping finale of the Dead trilogy, tough guy Michael Forsythe -- bad-boy antihero of the critically acclaimed "Dead I Well May Be" and "The Dead Yard" -- returns to his native Ireland, where a dangerous and beautiful old flame forces Michael to look for her daughter, who has mysteriously disappeared in Belfast.Laying low in South America, Michael has been ru ...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Scribner Book Company (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Bloomsday Dead, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)
Melki
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
Dusk is when Belfast really clicks. Fights. Murders. Burglary. A thousand calls about someone we're doing over. Someone we're lifting. Sober men rubbing their hands and performing with clear consciences wee jobs and the breaking of bones.

Michael's working a sweet job as hotel security in Peru when his former flame, now arch-nemesis, asks for demands his help in finding her missing daughter. Once he arrives in Ireland, he learns that the girl has indeed been kidnapped, and the ransom is due by mi
TheRavenking
“I shot him in the left kneecap, the noise sounding dissonant and terrible in the wee room. He screamed and tumbled off the bed. The kneecap is a nasty place to take a bullet because of the conjunction of bone, muscle and nerve endings. Especially at close range with a .38.

“You fucker, you shot me, I’m dying, I’m fucking dying,” he gurgled, writhing in agony.

I knelt beside him.

“No one ever died because of a bullet in the kneecap. One time many years ago, I shot a man in the kneecaps, the ankles
LenaRibka

Excellent! My favorite installment in the series.

I complained about the second book (let me note, we are talking about the complaints at a very high level), that it was probably a wee overacted, in the first place in the final phase. Well, The Bloomsday Dead is by no means less bloody and yet I had so much fun with it. I laughed loud (a lot!), who cares about dead bodies?! Adrian McKinty at his best: for sure one of the best books (AND A FANTASTIC AUDIO BOOK!!!!!) I read/listened to in 2020 (ma
John of Canada
Not as funny as some of McKinty's other Forsythe books but one of the most thrilling finishes ever.I loved the ending.This was a fine ending to the 'Dead' series,but we are not entirely finished with Mr.
Forsythe.See Falling Glass.Three thumbs up for Adrian McKinty!
Nigel
The final book in the 'Dead' Trilogy which chronicles the life of Michael Forsythe, one-time Irish mob gangster turned informer, and now permanently on the run fearing vengeance from his one-time lover, now leader of the mob (after he killed everyone else in a revenge spree).
Forsythe is a charming rogue, a survivor with an uncanny ability to escape attempts on his life, and is no shrinking violet when it comes to dishing out violence himself.
This book opens with yet another attempted 'hit' on ou
Mainer207
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I LOVED this!!! I shouldn't have - too much murder - but it was delightful. How strange that is. In a few cases I felt like I was reading about a gang that shouldn't shoot straight. Michael is adorable - for a cold-blooded killer. That's what makes this a confusing series. I smiled and laughed throughout this book. And cringed. I figured out most of the story long before the end but that didn't diminish the enjoyment.

I know I should be bothered by the line of bodies Michael leaves on several con
Alona
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All the stars!!
What an amazing finale to an amazing trilogy!
So sad to say goodbye to Michael Forsythe , I’ll definitely miss him!
And again, all the stars to the perfect narrator Gerard Doyle, who made Adrian McKinty’s great books even better. I’ll listen to anything he’ll read, even just an old phone book.
Alan
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing itself is still quite good but Michael Forsythe’s activities would have maimed and/ or killed a fellow 5 times over. Even if not the case, he would have been detained by one or another authority before he had left Dublin.

The first book in the series was fantastic but still very entertaining and not too over the top. The second in the series, over the top. The third, too outlandish by far and way over the top.

Considering that I enjoy Sci-fi, fantasy and Y/A offerings and I am general
Barbara
Love this guy Michael Forsyth. These books would make great action films. Too bad Liam Neeson is too old for the role. Cliffhanger to the end and Michael is a one-man tour de force who gets out of impossible situation after impossible situation. The Belfast setting is a big plus, and at the end you wonder what's next. Want to see if there has been a follow up to this because I have to know....
Anne Fenn
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Well I don’t know why I was debating about the ‘hero’ of Killshot being one recently when I can enjoy reading such a nonstop violent book like the Bloomsday Dead. The one day of the plot involves Michael Forsythe (a sidekick to Sean Duffy in that series) killing and hammering his way through endless opponents. Set in the author’s most creatively inspiring hunting ground, Belfast, it’s full of hard brutalised men, gang members with dreadful IRA ancestry. Michael has to find the kidnapped daughter ...more
Hpnyknits
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
John
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This third book in McKinty’s Dead Trilogy is the one I enjoyed the most.
Stacy
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great series with a satisfying (for me) ending. I am always anticipating a new McKinty book and am so glad I read this older series.
Ryan
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: McKinty Fans, Michael Forsythe Fans, adults
Sharon
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
the finale of the trilogy; exciting and a page turner; must read all 3 to appreciate this.
Josh
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2011
‘They say that when he was conceived the good fairy was on sabbatical. They say that when he was born vultures perched themselves on the houses of his enemies.’

‘The Bloomsday Dead’ is a bullet ridden romp through Irelands underbelly in which perennial protagonist Michael Forsyth is pitted against criminals and under world types from all walks of life as he tries to reclaim a former nemesis’s daughter from her captors. The dark and damp backdrop of Ireland creates an atmosphere of deep seeded de
comfort
This is the final chapter in this series and this time Michael is contacted by an ex- not quite girlfriend to come back to Ireland and help find her kidnapped daughter.
Previously to this contact,she has had a bunch of hit-men after him for years and years as Michael killed her then fiancé- which sort of was the end of some of his troubles and the start of new troubles.

After several mishaps along the way - which Michael thinks MAY be this womans way of getting back at him, but which she denies he
Andrew
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The third and final book in the Michael Forsythe storyline. With Bridget back in the story his emotions get the better of him. I kind of guessed the ending and am a bit indifferent about it, but the twist threw me for a great loop. I can't get enough of Adrian McKinty's stuff and would LOVE to see these turned into movies.
Pegeen
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
uses at its frame James Joyce's "Ulysses" somewhat in homage and somewhat as a satire --- every Irishman is presumed to have read and committed Ulysses to heart, correct? Once in a while a bit over the top in the physical damage Michael emerges still ticking from, but other than that , I loved it. Listened to the Audible version read by Gerald Doyle -- outstanding narration.
Seana
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Though this is the last in the Michael Forsythe trilogy, it's where I started. I was drawn in by the Bloomsday angle, and the book, though it ranges far from Dublin, actually is plotted very closely around Joyce's famous day in the life of strategy. A pleasure, on many levels.
Sandi
The final book in the Michael Forsythe trilogy and just as good as the previous two. Totally engrossing from the first with excellent action/violence and a well described Belfast setting. Listened to the audio version narrated by Gerard Doyle who really brings Michael to life.
Beth
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

For me, probably not as good as the first two books. The situations Michael gets into and out of seemed more improbable and the clues were a bit tenuous.
Very readable though.
High body count? Check
Couldn't put it down? Check
Judith
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am happy that Michael wasn't killed off. I am trying to find more of Mr. McKinty.s books.
Joe Kraus
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hardboiled-noir
OK. I’ve been going on about the general excellence of McKinty’s writing, about his offering a kind of master class in genre, and about my sense that he’s still awfully good even at his worst. I’m not going to quite change that claim here – for most of this novel he remains funny and moves his story along – but I have a hard time forgiving the conclusion here.

This one is clearly weaker than the two that come before it in the Michael Forsythe trilogy. This begins with a twist that’s both unnecess
John Marsh
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Criticalmick
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tourists! Your Bloomin' Attention Please!

Every year, tens of thousands of Irish-Americans touch down in Dublin city, their holidays devoted to the goal of soaking up their ancestral culture like so many hyphenated sponges. Many of these visitors purchase Ulysses, a masterpiece by one of the 20th century's most influential authors, James Joyce (1882-1941).

Those tourists are big fat suckers. I tried reading Ulysses when studying literature at UCD. I worked hard on that novel for months. In despair
Pamela
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for Adrian McKinty on this final book of Michael Forsythe.
Michael is still on the run from Bridget's hitmen when she changes the game asking for his help in finding her missing daughter. As usual, Michael finds more trouble than he bargained for, all the while wondering just why should he do this job for her. Bridget sweetens the pot with calling off her hitmen for is help, but that doesn't seem to be the case, with someone around every corner trying to knock him off. It's more of the M
Richard Wagner
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
great fun! i thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy. i highly recommend it. the writing is wonderful, thoughtful, and poetic. but, i suggest that you read the books in order. while each can stand on it's own, the development of the main character, Michael Forsythe, is something to behold. as the trilogy begins, Michael is young "wetback" as he calls himself, newly arrived in NYC from the old sod. by the end he is a near comic book version of a super (anti)hero. great job, Mr McKinty!
Maylin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, crime
I guess this is the last book in the series. It did tie up most of the loose ends but I wouldn't mind seeing how things pan out a few years later. A bit like the old western gunslingers having a rep like Michael attracts trouble.

A bit like the John Rain books I find the morals dubious and it makes me uneasy but they are certainly a good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hard Cash Valley (Bull Mountain, #3)
  • The Ghosts of Belfast (Jack Lennon Investigations #1)
  • The Final Silence (Jack Lennon #4)
  • Stolen Souls (Jack Lennon Investigations #3)
  • Peeler
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • Irregulars: A Sean O'Keefe Novel
  • Those We Left Behind (DCI Serena Flanagan #1)
  • A Thousand Moons
  • Galway Girl (Jack Taylor #15)
  • Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
  • Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2)
  • The Runner (China Thrillers, #5)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding, #1)
  • Silver
  • A Long Time Dead (The Dead Trilogy, #1)
  • February's Son
  • Westwind
Adrian McKinty is an Irish novelist. He was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and grew up in Victoria Council Estate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim. He read law at the University of Warwick and politics and philosophy at the University of Oxford. He moved to the United States in the early 1990s, living first in Harlem, New York and from 2001 on, in Denver, Colorado, where he taught high school Eng ...more

Dead Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dead I Well May Be (Dead Trilogy #1)
  • The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2)