Start by marking “The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer” as Want to Read:

The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer (The Divine Hours #2)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  459 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The second volume in a trilogy of prayer manuals compiled by Publishers Weekly religion editor Phyllis Tickle as a contemporary Book of Hours to guide Christians gently yet authoritatively through the daily offices.

The Divine Hours is the first major literary and liturgical reworking of the sixth-century Benedictine Rule of fixed-hour prayer. This beautifully conceived and
Published September 19th 2006 by Image (first published September 19th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Hours (Volume Two), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Hours (Volume Two)

Amy
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been using Phyllis Tickle's Divine Hours for about two months now and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I pray three times a day with it. The morning, afternoon, and evening prayers. I don't have time to pray the compline readings at this time. Often my afternoon prayers are said more like 5pm and the evening prayers at bedtime, but for me, I try not to be too rigid with the times. I have enjoyed praying the psalms, poems, and Bible readings. I love how it follows the liturgical year. I have f ...more
David
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have long been drawn to fixed-hour prayer. Growing up, we were taught to have a "quiet time" or "devotional" with God once a day. This has been my regular practice through the years, though like any normal human there were seasons when it went well and times of stagnation. While I treasured reading scripture, prayer often seemed like an add-on, the time when I was supposed to do something but too often my mind wandered. At times journaling helped as writing things out helps keep focus.

A few ye
Susanne
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Among my favorite devotional books, this Divine Hours series sets out prayers--mostly Scripture, with the addition of hymns in the evenings--of Morning, Midday, and Vespers Prayers. Compline is also available at the end of each month, set for one week, Sunday through Saturday, that is repeated as often as is necessary each month if desired.

Because I use this devotional in tandem with The Book of Common Prayer 2011, I use the BCP Compline rather than the one in this Divine Hours series.

I love p
Marguerite
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marguerite by: No idea
This volume, one of three covering the calendar year, affords those of us who haven't gotten to a nunnery a structure and discipline for Scripture-based prayer. Four times a day is a big commitment. I'll admit I don't always pray at the suggested times. But, I pray. Sometimes, I chant the prayers and sing the Vespers hymns (the dog seems to enjoy it). Phyllis Tickle's Hours series might strike some people as old-fashioned, but I've found it refreshing and had no problem fitting it into modern li ...more
Greg Baughman
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very helpful devotional tool. Each day has four prayers to use. They help give your day a real rhythm, and there is a context for each (e.g. the morning prayer contains a request to keep one from sin while the vespers and compline prayers contain words of repentance for the sins committed for the day). The book also follows (though a bit more loosely than other books) the liturgical calender (in this volume, for example, there are advent and Christmas prayers). Many elements remain the same ea ...more
Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
One of the enduring practices of spirtuality is that of prayer. Within the Christian practice is the traditionn of fixed-hour prayer, and within that tradition is found the Anglican Book of Common Prayer. The author of The Divine Hours, Phyllis Tickle, based this contemporary prayer manual upon the Book of Common Prayer.

Tickle, who was the founding editor of the Religion Department of Publishers Weekly, is a lay minister of the Episcopal Church and is a Senior Fellow of Cathedral College of the
Joshua Casey
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If this is your first intro to fixed-hour prayer, Divine Hours can seem a little heavy. You might want to first try Common Prayer by Claiborne. However, this amazing series gives a much deeper journey into the practice as it includes 3 unique prayers for each day and a set of daily prayers for each month's compline. It also includes various special weeks for the high seasons of the Church. Following the BCP, with readings primarily from the Jerusalem Bible, and excerpts from Christians of many t ...more
David Weller
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: practitioners of the Daily Office prayers
Of all of the web-based and book-form daily hour prayers, The Divine Hours seems to most closely fit my daily routine. There are a total of three volumes for the year; there is also a night-time Divine Hours from Oxford Press for over-night prayers. The Psalms are heavily cited, as well as other prayers, poetry, canticles and more. The only thing I don't follow closely is the reading of offices on exactly the hour or half-hour, as suggested in the book.
Lily
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Resource for practice of Christian meditation/prayer
A lovely reference and resource. Personally, too much to use all of it for daily practice, but wonderful for periods or used partially as time, needs, and desires permit. Has an expanded section for use during Advent. Based on ancient Benedictine hours, with a Morning Office, Midday Office, Vespers Office, and Compline (Night Office).

Like the care of the publishing and binding of the hardcopy.
Ebookwormy1
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
The book is part of a three book set that covers the entire calendar year as well as providing special material for Lent and Advent. Please see my review for "The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime" by Phyllis Tickle.

Kathy
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I remember to pray through this book, I am blessed and comforted, and feel like I have hit the reset button on my relationship with God.

This could be called The Book of Common Prayer Lite -- the actual BCP is confusing (to me, anyways) but this presents a very similar prayer format, a little bit pared down and in a way that's easy to follow.
Bo
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i used this as my devotional on the subway to and from work when i first started my new job. it was perfect for where i was at in life, in that it kept me connected with god, and helped me stay grounded as i transitioned out of ministry.
Tim
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I have been using these prayer books for a few years, but this was the first time I actually committed to doing all the prayers every day. It was really worth it.
Sherilyn
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pay-it-forward
This book was a gift from a friend and I am so grateful for the opportunity to have really explored a different way of prayer. I do believe that many of these traditional praying methods bring with them an overwhelming sense of peace. I believe we all ultimately seek.
Jeff
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I've used the Divine Hours books for several years. Well put together. Good quality throughout. I think they can now only be purchased new as paperback which is too bad as the hard cover edition will stay open on your desk or table. The p'back will not.
Andrew
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So, this isn't the kind of book you read straight through obviously since it is a daily prayer book, but I love it. it has prayer 3 to for times a day, and revives the ancient practice of keeping the daily office. Nothing I have read or done recently has helped my prayer life more!
Rick
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
A good help to get in the habit of daily prayer. Sort of liturgical - each session is almost like a little mini-worship service but helpful.
Brian Miller
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
love this book
Derek Shore
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So sweet and helpful, the Divine Hours series by dear Phyllis Tickle.
I use them each according to season.
Patrick Oden
Oct 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
A nice way to bring an order and settledness to daily, regular prayer. Not repetitive and not Catholic theology.

Very nice find.
Ike
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Good but intimadating at times so I think I'll stick to the pocket edition.
Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoy praying the hours and all liturgy-based prayer. Haven't gotten up the nerve to chant the psalms yet, though....
Darlene Hull
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the rhythm of praying the hours, even though, as a Protestant, it's not really part of my culture. These books make it so easy! I love these books.
Amber
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
For my first venture into set time prayers, this was a great book. Once I figured out the format, it was simple to use and I loved the variety of prayers and the organization of the months and days.
Terence
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-read
Just finished. (I didn't read it in-line with the calendar.)

This is a great book for starting to pray regularly. It is a compilation of scriptures, hymns, and church prayers. Highly recommend
Mike Young
Feb 23, 2010
Mike DeVries
Feb 24, 2012
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • In Constant Prayer (The Ancient Practices)
  • A Book of Hours
  • A Diary of Private Prayer
  • Wounded Prophet: A Portrait of Henri J.M. Nouwen
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
Phyllis Natalie Tickle was an American author and lecturer whose work focuses on spirituality and religion issues. After serving as a teacher, professor, and academic dean, Tickle entered the publishing industry, serving as the founding editor of the religion department at Publishers Weekly, before then becoming a popular writer. She is well known as a leading voice in the emergence church movemen ...more
More about Phyllis A. Tickle...

The Divine Hours (3 books)
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime, Volume 1 of 3