Start by marking “The Practice of Pastoral Care: A Postmodern Approach” as Want to Read:
The Practice of Pastoral Care: A Postmodern Approach

The Practice of Pastoral Care: A Postmodern Approach

Drawing on psychological, theological, and cultural studies on suffering, Carrie Doehring encourages counselors to view their ministry through trifocal lenses and include approaches that are premodern (apprehending God through religious rituals), modern (consulting rational and empirical sources), and postmodern (acknowledging the contextual nature of knowledge). Utilizing ...more
Published February 16th 2006 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about The Practice of Pastoral Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Practice of Pastoral Care

Start your review of The Practice of Pastoral Care: A Postmodern Approach
Mike
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you have a problem with the "postmodern worldview" don't let the subtitle scare you off. This book has good advice for pastors and those who find themselves doing similar work.
Sofia Wren
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
For school and I actually like it
Yoni Esterman
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a title like this, it should be obvious to the reader that this work is intended for a religious audience. The fact is that every religion has someone that fills in the role of pastoral care. The title may not be pastor. It could be teacher, Rabbi, Bishop, etc.

In fact, this work takes more of an agnostic or non-denominational approach, with credentials from Yale Divinity. The book is designed to take an intercultural approach to reach anyone in a similar position. Even better, storytelling
Lori Neff
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a part of a Pastoral Care class. I really enjoyed it - it was inspiring, informative. The charts were helpful and practical. I do wish there had been more examples given. I do understand the author's desire to keep the book broad in practice, but when she suggested that spiritual practices could help in a crisis, I wondered what an example might be.
Overall, very glad I read it and will hang on to it for future reference.
Brian Sturtz
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author offers an integrated method to listen well to the stories of others. Part of listening includes picking up on the theology of the other person and seeing if that theology is life giving or life limiting. A reader could be turned off by her use of technical terms and a very broad view of "spirituality". However, there are plenty of practical applications given as well as helpful diagrams. Good book for those seeking to better their pastoral care skills.
Rick
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a textbook I needed for a class on Pastoral Care. THis book covers the care of the pastor and the pastor's care for others including putting together a list of references for those in need. The reader is encouraged to think big where the needs of others are concerned and to minister to the biggest range of humanity they can imagine.
Joshua Lawson
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-care
I read this book as part of my first unit of Clinical Pastoral Education. Doehring does an excellent job outlining the major goals and methods of spiritual care. I've already begun integrating her pastoral approach with my own.
Alan Londy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Informative but uneven.
Mark
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent study, discussion, and reference on how to provide appropriate pastoral care to a diverse and pluralistic population. One of the emphases is that the care giver must not assume that the care seeker share the care giver's frame of reference, be it faith, social structures, beliefs, or cultural norms. The care giver must not impose his or her beliefs onto the seeker. The care giver must derive from listening to the care seeker where he or she is coming from, and to offer ...more
Wavey Cowpar
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it

The author is a female Presbyterian minister. Despite this she seems to be a Feminist and a liberal theologian. She very seldom mentions the work of the Holy Spirit and Jesus in the lives of the individuals she is caring for.
There are hints that she is a universalist, or that she believes Christianity to be merely a coping mechanism for life and not a fact/truth.
Her book claimed to be a postmodern approach to pastoral care though she, which she herself admits, uses a blend of pre-modern, modern
Michael Woods
A very good introduction to pastoral care. A must read for anyone thinking of attending seminary or answering a call to ministry or chaplaincy. The author discusses 21st Century considerations as they relate to the practice of caring for those God has called us to serve.
Rob Sabin
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just read this the second time. This time for CPE and I find greater relevance to ministry now, than the first time I read it in seminary. I could have grown wiser or this ministry lends more toward the post modern view.
Kate Davis
This is the book I would give to people who wonder about The Seattle School's approach to pastoring. Narrative based, postmodern. Which is great, except that I read it three years in--obnoxious.
s j driver

• A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible: Third Edition
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • Womanist Midrash: A Reintroduction to the Women of the Torah and the Throne
  • Faith on Earth: An Inquiry into the Structure of Human Faith
  • Conduct Gospel-Centered Funerals: Applying the Gospel at the Unique Challenges of Death
  • Visit the Sick: Shepherding the Afflicted and Dying in Your Congregation (Ministering the Master's Way)
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • Counseling and Psychotherapy: A Christian Perspective
  • Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community
  • A Tale of Three Kings
  • Trombone Player Wanted (Short Film Series)
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth