Start by marking “The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategy” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  5,826 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Blow away the competition--and your own expectations--using advice that starts with one simple concept: focus! There are countless books, seminars, and consultants that offer the secrets to everlasting business success. After heeding their advice, perhaps you manage your time more efficiently, write a compelling pitch letter, or close a few more deals. But after a week or ...more
Audio CD, 1 page
Published August 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published June 21st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Sales Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Sales Machine

Nicholas
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maura
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some useful ideas for those of us who aren't in sales. My biggest takeaways:
*dedicate 1 hour per week on areas that need improvement that otherwise wouldn't get attention
*When pitching, always put things in terms of the customer's benefit/point if view, not you or your product's advantages
*Don't waffle when trying to make a sale. A great example was a real estate agent who told a couple about to buy their first house something like "Now buying a house is a big decision and shouldn't be rushed in
Scott
This book provides a decent overview of sales, with a lot of examples from a successful salesperson. As a forewarning, a large part of my brain is probably devoted to ignoring advertisements and spam, so I have a lot of negative opinions about many sales techniques.

Review of Sales Techniques
Numerous methods and types of sales are discussed, with strategies explained. I have no doubt most businesses would find one or more strategies they haven't thought of. Personally, I reject about half of the
Roberto Jorda-Cid
Best business book ive read in a long time. This is the type of book that gets you thinking, pumped, and read to take action all at once. No one has the ability Chet Holmes has to make this information be relevant and also help guide you to take action.

This is a book I will re-read as many times until it becomes second nature. The tips, the exercise, and the stories that are intertwined throughout the reading make this a great experience and tool for anyone creating a business, works in sales,
Dustan Woodhouse
Re-read this book every 30 days for a year, maybe two years, and if you are not at the top of the game then it is time to find a new game.
Jason
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I promise that this will be the first and last sales book I add to my list. The books author, Chet Holmes, claims to be "Americas greatest sales and marketing executive". That may or may not be the case. Regardless, he does not lack hubris. Just ask him who's the best. Anyway, Chet has developed "12 skill areas" that will help anyone sell stuff better than they ever have before! For our reading convienience he's broken down the 12 skill areas into 12 chapters! You will only need to read these 12 ...more
Bart Van Loon
Okay, it's another American book on business and this one is perhaps even more `American' than all the others. Everything is repeated, data is served in very small chunks, the author is shamelessly self-promoting on every single page, etc...

BUT

I do believe the content of this book and the learning you get from it are extremely useful to increase your company sales productivity. I also liked the link the author makes between business and life. Success in either one basically requires a very simil
Chad Warner
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: salespeople, marketers, entrepreneurs, business owners
Shelves: business, marketing, sales
A world-class marketer and salesman reveals the strategies and tactics behind his success. The material is explained well, with plenty of examples. I found some of the approaches a bit slimy. He says don't lie, but don't tell the whole truth. He advocates leading prospects on, which I find disingenuous. For example, he says you should tell prospects, "We're in touch with your competitors" to imply that you're working with them, when you're really just marketing to them. I don't deny his success ...more
Leobardo
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente libro para aprender muy variadas técnicas sobre como vender más y con mejores márgenes. Una obligación tenerlo muy cerca y altamente recomendable releerlo de vez en cuando para recordar los consejos prácticos para atraer muchos más prospectos y cerrar más negocios..
Cory Vance
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent step by step guide to help grow any business. A great guide to be reviewed and studied again and again.
Steve Weber
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chet Holmes' The Ultimate Sales Machine was given to me as required reading for a new job. I dived into and quickly learned that it is different than most business books. This one lays out clearly what you will need to do in order to gain an edge in the working world. Even though the word "sales" is in the title, this could be your bible for any business role. I recommend this read for anyone who leads a team, is in marketing or is an entrepreneur.

This is the type of book that you will need to
David Skinner
There are many great tips in this book, with one of his main themes being that of dogged perseverance as the main key to sales success. However, he does not posit many entirely new suggestions. It was not a waste of time, however I would not include it in a sales curriculum.
Sergey Ivanov
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-made, sales
Оценка больше за материал, чем за подачу. В книге много воды. Хотя нет — В КНИГЕ ОЧЕНЬ МНОГО ВОДЫ!

А теперь к сути. Ultimate Sales Machine — самая правильная книга по продажам, которую я читал. Продажи — это следствие, а причины — маркетинг, тайм менеджмент, найм персонала, «облизывание» клиента и так далее. Именно о причинах идёт речь в книге.

Материал, который подаётся в книге немного устарел, но основы будут актуальны и сегодня. Если в общем — маст рид для тех, кто строит свой бизнес и кому нуж
Loza Boza
Trevor
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotes of Holmes' time with Charlie Munger are peppered throughout and are generally entertaining and informative, unfortunately they also become repetitive and somewhat trite. Holmes was obviously a master salesman and an excellent trainer however much of the books' advice is either overly broad (being doggedly persistent helps close deals) or too specific (providing exact phraseology).

Overall I found it an interesting read but my general sense as a non-salesman is that any number of more r
Robert
Great for a sales person if the only thing you care about is numbers. Call 1,000 leads and get 1 sale. Sounds logical then to pump out as many calls as possible or, in his case, have someone else do it. His dedication to system based approach would be more digestible if the purpose instead was to increase or maintain quality and let the numbers come in higher as a by-product.
Camilo Rodriguez
Sean
Learned nothing
Angela Lam
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, Marketers, Salespeople, Business executives & leaders
This book supposedly offers 12 strategies that you can use to master 3 areas in any business--management, sales and marketing--and apply them such that it will create your ultimate sales machine that withstands the test of time.

Having worked in large organizations and run my own business, I can see the value in many of these tips. The writing is clear, the examples are illustrative... all the makings of a decent book.

BUT, the main issue is this--the book does NOT present 12 clear strategies. In
Yesenia Gonzalez
"Touch it once"

One of the many great things I learned from this book is the "touch it once" system. Many of us have that one thing you avoid doing. On your desk you may have a project your boss told you to do but you have been avoiding it so you move it from the top of the pile to the bottom of the pile. By the time you know it you have touched it a dozen times without actually doing the task. We may have laundry at home you walk by it and say I will do it this week. Or dishes that pile up. For
Dillon
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the sales and business books I've read, I have to say that this by far the best one. The advice is highly valuable, practical, and universally applicable in most any industry and size of organization.
Sales is the life-blood of every single organization on the planet. Whether you’re selling a product/service or selling an idea, sales and marketing are the keys to success.
If you are looking to expand your business with advice from the sales guru who had Charlie Munger questioning his legali
Kyle Robins
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best book on sales I have every read.

Rather than talking about motivation or secret techniques for closing the sale - Chet Holmes discusses the exact strategies he used to close over 50 of his Fortune 500 clients.

It could be condensed and is not the easiest read, but the information inside is invaluable and I believe is the only book an organization needs if they want to massively improve their sales.
Claire
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a sales person, I've been known to say "I couldn't sell ice in a desert" but this book made so much sense to me that I know I could sell if I followed the logical steps set out in this book. Thankfully however, the book also convinced me that I don't have the personality needed to be a high performing sales person so I won't be inflicting that experience on the world.

Whether you're a sales person or you work with sales people, I think this is a must read.
Tony
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the time that this book was written it would had contain many innovative ideas that people could learn from, but as of now the idea that I read was pretty common. But there were bits of information that I had not learn before, such as picking employees who contain a checklist of personality that will be beneficial to the company.
Anthony Gibson
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive

Does a good job covering all aspects of a business. Gives a great overview and offers many practical suggestions, from training workshops to customer follow-up. Definitely worth the read.
Trudy
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some useful ideas for those of us who aren't in sales. My biggest takeaways:
Richard Zreik
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sales books

Liked the clear process and the mental models Chet likes to use in his system.
The 12 steps are quite overarching for an entire span of business management work. One can use sections of the book at different intervals of execution.
Wojciech
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best business book I've read.

Unbelievable how many useful tips there are (and higher-order strategies!).

I've immediately implemented loads from the book and know will be going back to my notes very often.

Highly recommended!
Robert Smith
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has some good advice and techniques - I highly suggest skipping chapters that don't apply to you immediately.
Eric Hungerford
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is poorly named because it's so much more than sales. It's the closest guide I've ever found that is a comprehensive "How to" for how to run a business.
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“Use market data, not product data. Set the buying criteria in your favor. Find the “smoking gun,” the one thing that undeniably positions you over every one else. Make sure you hit their pain points. Include your own pitch for your product or ser vice only after you have covered the education thoroughly.” 3 likes
“The one who gives the market the most and best information will always slaughter the one who just wants to sell products or services.” 2 likes