Start by marking “The Sister of the South (Dragons of Deltora, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Sister of the South (Dragons of Deltora, #4)

The Sister of the South

(Dragons of Deltora #4)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,327 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
The amazing conclusion to the DRAGONS OF DELTORA series, full of action, adventure, and magic.

Lief, Barda, and Jasmine have defeated three of the four Sisters left by the evil Shadow Lord to weaken and ultimately defeat Deltora. But now they face their biggest challenge yet -- the Sister of the South, whose power is the most dangerous yet.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Pu
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Sister of the South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sister of the South

Sara Kamjou
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
دانستن نام واقعی هر کس باعث میشود که بر صاحب آن نام نفوذ داشته باشی.
...
ماجراجوییها و غافلگیریهای جلد آخر خیلی بیشتر بود.
لذت بردم بسی. مخصوصا از اینکه نقش اژدهاها خیلی پررنگتر بود.
Elizabeth
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I consider this series (Deltora Quest, Deltora Shadowlands, Dragons of Deltora) to be THE defining book series of my childhood. Moreso even than Harry Potter, as blasphemous as that is to admit for someone of my generation.

Lief, Barda, and Jasmine were my constant companions through middle school. The books, though about 200 pages each and written for a fifth-grade audience with a plot to match, taught me some of the most valuable life skills I know: how to pay attention, how to problem solve, h
Ahmad Sharabiani
وگر آوازشان روزی، شود خاموش و میرد، این سرزمین، تا ابد آرام گیرد
Emma Ruth
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tears, re-read
Possibly the greatest ending to a series that ever was.

It's hard to explain my love for this series. Deltora Quest is funny, endearing and smart. All of Rodda's riddles kept me on my toes and thinking. I love most of the characters, and the one's that I don't love, I can appreciate. Everyone seemed to have their own story, no one was overlooked, everything was important.

In this, the final book of the entire series, it's hard not to dive in head first. Everything came to close brilliantly. It's
Diane
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very satisfying ending to a very long series of increasingly dark installments on a quest from despair to light. Sounds paradoxical. There was always a bit of horror mixed in with the quest from the start, but with each series the books got more complex and darker and darker with more and more horrible things happening and less time spent on the good. My son was genuinely disturbed a few times.

My son also figured out how the final triumph would happen!

This is perhaps better for slig
Daniel
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Skye
I was kind of sad to finish this story – after all, it is the very last of the Deltora Quest tales and it completely ties up the tale of Lief, Barda and Jasmine. But it’s also nice when an author finishes off such a long series in such a way. It doesn’t make you constantly wonder “what happened” and gives everyone their nice, happy, ride off into the sunset future. Yes, they might be kind of cheesy, but I still like the happily ever after endings…

I love how the use of fairy tales throughout the
Ashlyn
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the stars in the world. This book is incredible, threads from the previous books you didnt even know were loose are tied up neatly, characters old and new make one final appearance and as always its action packed until the last paragraph.

This is probably my favourite book in the whole series. Lief, Barda and Jasmine have all grown so much and i love love love the dragons. I cant decide which is my favourite so i think its a tie between the topaz and amethyst dragons. That final scene - Drag
Aaron
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So bitter-sweet to finally finish all three of these series. They were my favorite as a kid but I had never finished the lot. Even though the three were separate stories and journeys, this book did perfectly to complete the tale. The creativeness of the plot twists in every book along the way would leave me thinking "how did she come up with that!?". I can't wait to re-read them all again and again. Thanks for the memories ❤ ...more
Khiishii01
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ending could have used more. I think Emily Rodda slacked out a bit with the ending. But to me this is my favourite series in the Deltora Quest books.
The suspense keeps you turning the page and it is beautifully written. But DELTORA QUEST FOREVER! Emily Rodda did amazing on this series 👍🏼👍🏼
Love it!!
Jodi
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
BEST. SERIES. EVEEERRRR
Nathan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a satisfying ending. Twists, friendships etc. All accounted for and simply amazing. Loved it.
Becky B
Lief, Barda, and Jasmine have come full circle to face the last Sister, the one who is hidden right in the capitol city of Del. They arrive as a plague that first hit Lief's mother, a visitor from Tor, is ravaging the city. With the plague have come suspicions of the Tor, and rumors of hatred. Lief has also been getting secret messages from the librarian, Josef, that there is an even graver danger than the Sister. Lief is having a horrible time of fighting the despair being spread by the sister. ...more
Marilag
The journey finally ends, and at good timing, too! I was beginning to think Lief was falling into some sort of belt-dependancy, it almost seemed like the Belt of Deltora was a type of drug one can easily get addicted to.

In retrospect, the entire series was about a boy with a magical belt that made him feel like he could do a lot of things he shouldn't be able to. A load of hogwash, I'm sure Lief could have solved the puzzles and thought through the problems just fine without the need for touchin
Gabby
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RATING: 4.5 stars

Loved this series so much! Loved the addition of dragons (since dragons are my fav) and how the storyline was put together, weaving them into the whole plot. Emily Rodda (did you know that's actually a pen name) did a fantastic job creating this series, just like all the others. Even though I struggled to remember some characters since I read the previous two series such a long time ago (about 7 years!) it was written in such a way that I still felt included and had enough infor
Jing Chen
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lief, Jasmine, and Barda have defeated three of the Four Sisters, and now only the Sister of the South remains. But to their suprise, according to the last piece of the map, the sister of the south is hidden in the city of Del. The companion returns to del full speed. Lief's mother, Queen Sharn is very ill, by a plague that that had killed hundreds of Deltorans.Lief had also believed that evil somehow did lie in the palace, and he just needs to find it.

Josef, the libarian of the palace, had so
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lief, Jasmine, and Barda have defeated three of the Four Sisters, and now only the Sister of the South remains. But to their horror, they learn that it is hidden in the city of Del. They return to the palace to find that there is a terrible plague in Del. Lief's own mother is very ill, and hundreds have died. Lief is sure the Shadow Lord is behind the plague somehow. As king, Lief feels responsible for everything bad that happens, and he has a terrible sense of foreboding about fighting the last ...more
Molly
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Allison
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
These books were AWESOME! I know they are for age 9 and up, but the creativity and the surprises, the character development (at a basic level), the struggle between good and evil and the choices we make, the teamwork involved, it was all fantastic. She knows how to write a good story and I would recommend these to anyone of any age who likes fantasy. They really should be read in order, with the first series of 8 books in the Deltora Quest, the second series of three in Deltora Shadowlands and t ...more
Angus Burns
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read this book mainly because there was a large lack of reading material in the house, and i was forced to forage my younger brother's shelf.

This book fills the written by a female section of the grid.

I did not like this book, it was childish and unimaginative, with a predictable storyline, undeveloped characters, and not much to recommend it.

As I mentioned above, this book has little to recommend it.
Christian De La Garza
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Katie W
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a perfect way to wrap up this fun series. My kids really enjoyed the storyline and the ending was great! We're wondering what to read next, since this one was so much fun.

The fantasy and adventure elements are done in such a creative way. The characters are outstanding and unique, yet true to who they are all the way throughout. It was fun to see some of them reappear.
Maya
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
I remember adoring the Deltora Quest books in primary school, and would still recommend the books to children. Exciting and puzzle-filled, this latest book in the continued series brings the quest for the sisters of the south to an end. Perhaps not as strong as the preceding series, it is still enjoyable none the less and the ending is endearing and satisfying.
Ashlyn
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Best. Ending. Ever. After 15 books and 3 series the sister of the South is the perfect ending to a wonderful series. Everything wraps up perfectly but not easily, there are so many twists and turns I never saw coming. I've read this series many times now and each time I fall in love all over again! 5 well deserved stars
Johnny Bennett
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Last book in the series. Liked the twist at the end but it could have been fleshed out a little more. Still a fun little series to blast through. Also, the last book was most evident that I hadn't read the previous series.
Taylor
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good adventure. BUT READ THE REST OF THE BOOKS FIRST!!
Recommended to Taylor by: myself
my favourite book of all of the 15 Deltora books! quick paced, filled with riddles, and very suspenseful, kept me on the edge of my seat many times during class when i had free time. i recommended it to many of my friends who also love it and the rest of the Deltora series.
Philip Abraham
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this book was amazing. While i was only in second grade when i read it, this book along with the whole deltora series have enthralling plots and this book encompassed a great ending for a great series. Plus, I love dragons and this mini-series is all about them.
Richard
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is one of the best books I've read in this series, because the worst enemy is actually in the capitol, or Lief's home. It is very cool in the end where all the dragons came together and fought the last enemy.
Julie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book about a few years ago remembering that it wasn't the most interesting book in the world. Though, it does have its smooth points and is a nice book to read if you like fantasy and the Dragons of Deltora series.
  • Buckskin Bandit (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #8)
  • By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)
  • The Golden Tree (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #12)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology Chronicles, #1)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Clovermead: In the Shadow of the Bear
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.

Dragons of Deltora (4 books)
  • Dragon's Nest (Dragons of Deltora, #1)
  • Shadowgate (Dragons of Deltora, #2)
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)