Start by marking “Widow Walk” as Want to Read:
Widow Walk

Widow Walk

(Widow Walk Saga #1)

In the early days of the American Pacific Northwest, small settlements dot the wilds of streams and dense woods. Isaac Evers, a community leader and former militiaman, has established a small colony on Whidbey Island. Though the area appears calmer than in the past, the northern indigenous clans still threaten the livelihood of Isaac’s growing family.

While Isaac is away o
Published April 29th 2013 by Greenleaf Book Group Press

To ask other readers questions about Widow Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Widow Walk

Start your review of Widow Walk
Gina
This book revolves around settler Isaac Evers, and the native population of the Pacific Northwest.

Whidbey Island is the place where Isaac has helped form a settlement, where water is abundant and hunting is good.

Needless to say, the indigenous people, who have resided in the area for millennia, are not happy with people they consider invaders on their land. Clashes are bound to happen.

Isaac frequently leaves his homestead to go on expeditions, leaving his wife and family behind. Emily is a st
E. Denise Billups
Widow Walk is book one of Gar LaSalle’s HISTORICAL FICTION SAGA. Told in the FIRST PERSON POV, the story takes place in 1867, a time of high tension in the American PACIFIC NORTHWEST between indigenous native Americans and colonists― conflict roused after the PUGET SOUND’S WAR and the TREATY OF MEDICINE CREEK in 1854. The Treaty preserved native American’s ancestral land but appropriated prime native farmland.

Mr. LaSalle’s writing is a superb depiction of historical facts filled with description
Coco.V
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (2/22/2018)! 💝
Dan Gorman
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very intriguing work of historical fiction. Lasalle's prose is a bit clunky at times, particularly in the first sixty pages, but the book gathers momentum as it progresses, and by the final pages is an engrossing narrative. Lasalle seeks to portray Washington State's history with all its complexities. His nineteenth-century setting features the British and Americans squaring off for control of the Washington territory, with a few Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese merchants trying to find wealth ...more
Eileen
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in historical fiction with well rounded characters.
Recommended to Eileen by: NetGalley
**** Rating 4.5
Review
Although I’m a Scot, I have always been interested in novels and articles of the Native American peoples so when given the opportunity to read Widow Walk, I jumped at the chance. “Widow Walk is historical fiction depicting real and fictional characters and events”. It kept me entranced from the first to the last page.
The main character is Emmy Evers, a strong willed and determined woman. A widow, with a young daughter, met and married Isaac Evers and moved to Whidbey Island;
Marion
A quick read full with historical detail, the novel "Widow Walk" keeps one engaged with a survival story of both the fittest and weakest. White settlers have arrived in the Pacific Northwest and Native American tribes are fiercely guarding their land, water and people. Gripping me was the haunting and detailed "voice" in practically every sentence; here's an example:
"When they saw each other at that moment, eyes locked in the pale moonlight, each man knew the world had stopped around them to wat
Tracey
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given the opportunity to be a preview reader for Gerard Lasalle's sequel to Widow Walk, so I decided it would be a good idea to read the first book before diving into the second. I am developing an interest in the Pacific Northwest, where Widow Walk takes place, so without really knowing where to begin, this series seemed as likely a candidate as any to introduce me to the area I plan to call home sometime soon.

I don't have any real interest in Native American history, but Widow Walk illus
D.B.
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Widow Walk, by Gerard LaSalle, brings life to Washington State History. The novel is written with lush and vivid scenery of the area just as it was being populated by Americans and Europeans. Author, Gerard LaSalle, writes about the harsh realities of the time and place; the clash of the different cultures as the American and Europeans obtrude on the different Indian tribes who were already living there.

The characters are hard-working, strong, and enduring; some are corrupt, false, and vicious,
Deba
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LaSalle’s “Window Walk” is a compelling story of love, honor, fear, pain and strength. The characters we read about in this book are awesomely portrayed in the author’s rendition. The setting is in the rugged Pacific Northwest wilderness, the plot is deepened with realistic depiction of the historical events, and people of that era. It holds mention to the pioneers and settlers and of the Indian tribes and their lives, but it mostly follows one family and their plight. It was so interesting to r ...more
Randy
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pacific NW is an area mostly overlooked for historical fiction (save for Ivan Doig). However, Gerald Lasalle makes good use of Whidbey Island, San Juan Island, Bellingham, Port Townsend, Victoria and British Columbia as settings to weave together a fast moving tale that involves a couple of real historical figures, a psychotic Haida raider, a kidnapped five year old, a brave frontier woman and her equally brave young daughter, a clever NW Indian guide, various nefarious characters, a one-eye ...more
Kerry
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was provided with a free copy of this book in return for my honest review. Widow Walk tells the tale of a family of settlers in the Northwest during the time when Northern Indian tribes routinely sent raiding parties south. Being Australian, I am not familiar with this historical period but I am aware that the author was meticulous in his seamless blending of fictional and factual characters and events to create this story. The story and characters are so well written it prompted some research ...more
Debra Lobel
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Captivating Story

Widow Walk is a captivating story about life in the Pacific Northwest and how both Native American Indians and white settlers had to struggle to survive. Gerald LaSalle blends both real and fictional characters into a beautifully written and descriptive novel about the disputes and battles between Indians and settlers as well as the conflicts among the Indian tribes and between the Americans and British. Each chapter is told from the point of view of one or two characters. Thi
Veronica Knudson
A well written book by someone who knows the NW. I have read a couple of books recently that talk about landmarks and cities that don't exist and I find that very frustrating. The author did his homework, furthering his personal knowledge of the area. It was written so well that it challenged my memory of the factual history so I could differentiate the real from the fiction. The story makes the clear the hostility between the Native Americans and the whites who came to settled. I also appreciat ...more
Randy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
History! Oh No!

I thought I’d be reading about a pioneering woman and her children making a go of living in the late 1800’s. The beginning of the book started out that way but didn’t last long at all. I began to get very bored as the book turned into a history lesson with the main characters in the beginning completely forgotten about. Sorry, just wasn’t what I expected and didn’t hold my interest.
Mimi Jergens
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! As someone who enjoys reading both fiction and non-fiction this book has it all --- beautifully written with fascinating, colorful characters and a brilliant depiction of early northwest history.
Betty Davidge
Sorry I didn't finish........

I'm sorry to say after reading all the reviews I couldn't get involved with the people in the book. It read to me like a very dry
Recount of a historical event. Maybe it was me but frankly my dear I just didn't give a hoot in the end.........
Jane Irish Nelson
Not quite the type of book I usually read, but it is by a local author, about the local area, so I wanted to try it. This is a different kind of historical novel; parts of it are almost straight history narrative, as the scene is set: Puget Sound in the late 1870s. Although always told in the second person, different sections are narrated by various characters. Each change of narrator is easily tracked, and the large cast of characters is well-drawn. I can't help but wonder just how true to life ...more
Barbara Q
I was drawn into this book because the author writes so well; however, as the story progressed it went too far into the swampy morass of improbability and then, as though the author realized this, ended rather abruptly. But, I learned some history of the Pacific NW in the 1850s. I loved the descriptions of the natural world. And the characters were well developed and compelling.

I liked it enough to read the second Widow Walk book.
Carolyn
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling story of Pacific NW in the 1850s

Having visited this area (San Juan Islands, Vancouver, Bellingham) many times over the past 22 years, I found the history of Isaac & Emma Evers (Ebey), the native tribes, and the settlement of the area, though fictionalized, is well told by LaSalle and compelled me to keep reading. I highly recommend it!
Mary E
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the Read

Good historical fiction that will hold your interest. Emmy is the embodiment of the strength displayed by women during the most extreme of challenges. While this wasnt a book that I couldnt put down, I did look forward to reading a couple of chapters each night.
Linda B. Vuono
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Not the genre that I usually read but I was pulled in from the 3rd chapter. Characters were accurately depicted, the good and the bad.
Some of the Indian names were hard for me to follow but the guide in the beginning of the book was handy.
Great historical book!
Sherry Johnson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book

Although, the brutality of historical fiction books caused me to steer clear of them for a long time, something about this book drew me in and I was hooked.
Linda
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a softer version of pioneer life but found a very violent and probably realistic view of settling the Northwest part of the US. Very much a factual account based on diaries of the heroine and the hero Calvary Colonel. I recommend it for history buffs!
Monica Millane
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a sample of this book first and found that very interesting. Characters were people I'd never hear of before except for George Pickett of Gettysburg fame. Although I found the book very interesting and engaging, I had a hard time with the "romance" between Emmy Evers and George Pickett. I've seen pictures of him and he was a pretty vain guy but then to each his own. She'd never settle on him, too strong of a woman. Thumbs up on the story line.
Eirlys
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good story about a strong woman who finds courage in an hostile world. An historical novel that seems to have an authentic feel.
Merry
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Knowing little of the history of the Northwest, I enjoyed this book. The characters were believable. Their adventures were followed closely.
Barbara J Wicks
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History is alive

I love history. Good fictionalized history gives me the incentive to look up the real people portrayed in the book. This is one of those.
Daniel Cooksey
Fascinating picture of the Pacific Northwest when it was still a wild frontier to western settlers. Great characters and a easy prose style made for a great read.
Amy Hietapelto
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Loved the diverse perspectives. Looking forward to the next two books in the saga.
 Julie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tide Between Us: An Epic Irish-Jamaican Story of Passion, Loss and Inescapable Destinies
  • Hooks & Eyes (The Ambition & Destiny Series #1)
  • The Planter's Wife
  • Charleston's Daughter (The Low Country Series Book 1)
  • Different World: Part 5 of The Ambition & Destiny Series
  • The Point of Light (Historical Fiction #1)
  • When Time Runs Out (The Ambition & Destiny Series #3)
  • Only One Winner: Part 4 of The Ambition & Destiny Series
  • The Only Blue Door
  • Less Than Equals (The Ambition & Destiny Series #2)
  • The Huguenot Chronicles: Books 1 - 3 (Merchants of Virtue, Voyage of Malice, Land of Hope)
  • Into the Suffering City: A Novel of Baltimore
  • The Women of Great Heron Lake
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • The Beauty of Broken Things
  • The Third Girl (Molly Sutton Mysteries #1)
  • Life, Part 2: Lydia's Story--The Second Chance (Life in Palmyrton Book 1)
  • Death in Damascus: A 1920s Murder Mystery with Heathcliff Lennox
Born in Seattle, Gar LaSalle writes from his home in Seattle and his studio on Maury Island in the Puget Sound area of Washington State.

Widow Walk Saga (3 books)
  • Isthmus (Widow Walk Saga Book 2)
  • The Fairness of Beasts (Widow Walk Saga Book 3)