Start by marking “Sparkling Cyanide (Colonel Race, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sparkling Cyanide  (Colonel Race, #4)

Sparkling Cyanide (Colonel Race #4)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  13,305 Ratings  ·  704 Reviews
Six people reunite to remember beautiful Rosemary Barton, who died nearly a year before. The loving sister, the long-suffering husband, the devoted secretary, the lovers, the betrayed wife - none of them can forget Rosemary.

But did one of them murder her?

Titled in America 'Remembered Death'.
Paperback, Agatha Christie Signature Edition, 336 pages
Published 2002 by HarperCollins (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Sparkling Cyanide, please sign up.

Quinn That people don't tend to view family members as individuals with the same ideas, hopes, dreams, etc, that they have. For example, when you were…moreThat people don't tend to view family members as individuals with the same ideas, hopes, dreams, etc, that they have. For example, when you were young, if you saw your grade school teacher at the mall, you were likely very shocked and/or felt strangely about it, because you were used to him/her only being a teacher. Same goes for family members normally. Mom is mom, not _______ who had a life before you, who went to high school and fell in love, who had her heart broken, who dreamed of being a famous basketball player, who was once scared of the dark, etc.
Therefor, the people you are truly closest to, whom you *think* you know very well, may be capable of very different things than you might imagine.
:)(less)

Julie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie is a 2001 Minotaur publication. (Originally published in 1945)

Classic Agatha Christie- Always a treat!

It has been a long time since I read a book by AC. With a nip in the air and the days getting shorter, I always find myself in the mood for a good old fashioned golden age mystery to curl up with.

This classic whodunit is very cleverly plotted and centers around Rosemary Barton, a beautiful young heiress who suddenly committed suicide.

Now one year after her
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sparkling Cyanide = Remembered Death (Colonel Race, #4). Agatha Christie
عنوان: نوشابه با سیانور؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ مترجم: مجتبی عبدالله نژاد؛ تهران، هرمس، 1388؛ در 278 ص؛ شابک: 9789643636135؛ موضوع: داستانهای پلیسی از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: پنجم سپتامبر سال 2010 میلادی
رزماری بارتون به قتل رسیده است. شوهر و خواهرش شواهدی به دست میآورند که نشان میدهند مرگ رزماری بارتون برخلاف رای دادگاه نه خودکشی،بلکه قتل بوده است. آنها در پی قاتل با ماجراهایی رو در رو میشوند و...؛ ا.
Simona Bartolotta
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, 1900, in-italian
3.5

“Six people were thinking of Rosemary Barton who had died nearly a year ago...”

Ok, well, I think it got old about a couple of years ago, me saying I love Christie and you smiling and nodding and then –as politely as possible– proceeding to scroll down and just ignore me because the whole Goodreads must have got it by now. But this is just the honest truth, folks: I love Agatha Christie. And the simple fact that this book was written by her is the first reason why you should read this.

The sec
Laurel Young
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In 1939, Agatha Christie published a short story featuring Hercule Poirot, entitled "Yellow Iris." A few years later, she expanded the story into this excellent novel, changing the detective to Colonel Race. Having read the story before the novel, I immediately recognized the similarity of the setup (right down to the name Iris). I assumed, therefore, that I knew how the murder was done, and in fact that aspect remains the same. However, if you think that reading the story will make it pointless ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
An unusual Agatha Christie mystery without the usual convolutions and red herrings. The murderer, and the reason for murder, is rather obvious - however, the real twist is elsewhere! And it is highly plausible... (to say anything more would be a spoiler).
Angie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Tía Agatha lo hace de nuevo!
Acabé totalmente conectada con la lectura de este libro y como soy de aquellos lectores que se deja llevar por la narración me encantó el desenlace, en serio!! Además de los personajes muy bien descritos, cada uno en el papel que le correspondía; pude congeniar con Iris, entender su personalidad y seguir su "destino".
Raya راية
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
عبقرية! 💙
Moha Dem
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
والله رائعة من روائع كريستي، تتحدث فيها عن المال والحب وماذا يفعلانه في قلوب البعض
إذ بدأت القصة بوفاة روزماري - الفتاة الفاحشة الثراء - التي اعتبرت كانتحار، بعد ستة أشهر بدأت أختها اريس - التي ورثت ثروة أختها - تنبش الذكريات بعد أن عثرت على رسالة تفضح أختها، ثم عثر جورج زوج روزماري على رسالتين وهكذا بدأت التحقيقات مجددا ... إلى أن قرر جورج إقامة حفلة لاريس في نفس مكان العام الماضي سعيا منه للكشف عن القاتل، فقتل هو جورج نفسه ... أحداث شيقة لا اريد أن اعمل spoiler هنا هههههههه
Bruce Beckham
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This must be 96% the best whodunit I have read.

Six people are suspected of poisoning wealthy heiress Rosemary – a murder that takes place in plain sight at London’s salubrious Luxembourg restaurant. One of them has slipped cyanide into her champagne.

Husband, lovers, rivals, beneficiaries of her death – they each harbour powerful motives – yet who performed the seemingly impossible sleight of hand?

And when – amidst a misguided reconstruction – a second person falls victim to an identical modus op
Brooke
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Agatha Christie has done it again - this book was brilliant, as ALWAYS! She keeps you on the edge of your seat, guessing and thinking and rethinking during the entire book. I suspected nearly every character at one point or another in this book, but not once have I been able to correctly guess the ending and the murderer of an Agatha Christie book. (And I have read a lot of her books.)

The book is about a young woman named Rosemary Barton, who was murdered at her birthday dinner before six friend
Ellie
The book begins with 17-year-old Iris Marles remembering her sister Rosemary's birthday the previous year. Iris must come to terms with her life as the exceptionally beautiful Rosemary, who got all the love, all the attention-and all the money.

I've read Sparkling Cyanide at least 3 or 4 times - and continue to love it. I must admit the last quarter, until the unveiling of the killer-dragged a bit for me but this is undoubtedly because I know it so well. The first half is outstanding and the endi
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Maybe I enjoyed this story because it was a BBC Radio 4-full cast dramatized. Or maybe I enjoyed this story because it was very well written...
Sura  ✿
اول رواية قرأتها لاجاثا كريستي , قرأتها مرتين وهي الافضل بالنسبة لي بين روايات كريستي الاخرى .
Rachel
Sparkling Cyanide was my fifth Agatha Christie, and my fifth time being absolutely blown away by how well crafted her mysteries are. The novel begins with Iris Marle looking back on a dinner party which had resulted in the death of her sister Rosemary, whose champagne had been poisoned with cyanide. Though it had been initially ruled as a suicide, Rosemary's husband, George, becomes convinced that Rosemary had been murdered - which means the culprit was necessarily one of the six guests in atten ...more
huda nasir
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رائعة أخرى من روائع اجاثا
nikos
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mystery, crime
Πολυ καλο!!!!!!!!!Πολυ καλη πλοκη που κλιμακωνεται σε ενταση οσο φτανεις στο τελος.Καλο το φιναλε.Θεωρω οτι ειναι απο τα καλυτερα της!!!!!!
Ylenia

I fucking hate these old-ass italian translations, I swear.

How the mystery was solved was unexpected, I will admit it, but the novel failed to keep me engaged in its entirety.

ATHARY
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
رائعة من روائع أجاثا كريستي المعتادة. وترتني القضية هذه المرة أكثر من اللازم ما قدرت أخمن نصف تخمين حتى عن هوية المجرم. عظيمة!
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars.
Beth
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm on a mystery kick, switching between Christie and Sayers. I pulled this, covered in dust, off the top shelf of my closet, opened it and began reading at random, and then went back to the beginning to do the story justice.

This is a fairly standard whodunit, Christie-style - only it's overlaid by such a strong human element that the whodunit is almost superseded by it. Which means that, more than anything, this book is a prime example of Christie's incredible slight-of-hand: she can tell two s
Bárbara
4.5 estrellas

Este libro de la tía Agatha es uno de esos que te atrapa y no te suelta. Me pareció genial que empezara con la visión en retrospectiva de varios personajes sobre un supuesto suicidio. Cada uno tenía sus propias ideas del asunto, y los dramas con la fallecida (una cabeza hueca) daban para muchas teorías.

También me ha sorprendido para bien que Cianuro espumoso no lo protagoniza un detective o el criminal, sino el recuerdo de la víctima, Rosemary, que atormenta a los "involucrados".

C
Suvi
Re-read 26.09.2017 From 2 to 4 stars.

A person is murdered, although it's seemingly impossible, because it's done under the watchful eye of several people - my favorite kind of murder.

The identity of the murderer isn't actually a huge surprise, nor is the basic idea of the execution of the murder (it's very simple if you think about it), but a couple of things surrounding the latter poisoning incident and the way it was done are. The moral of the story is the classic "don't take anyone's word for
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I've seen at least 3 different film versions of this book, so it's high time I sat down and read it. ITV decided for whatever reason to have Poirot investigate the case, not Col. Race (who does get a look-in during their film of Cards on the Table but only as a secondary character who defers to Poirot). I suppose that's because P. is much better-known than either Col Race or Inspector Battle; I've never seen an Inspector Battle film or heard him mentioned in a Christie-inspired film.

Suffice it t
Clare
I am a big fan of Agatha Christie and have read all the Miss Marple series and most of the Hercule Poirot books. I have never read one of Christie's standalone books, when this came up as the September book for my GR group I was eager to try this.

7 people attended the birthday party of the Mrs Rosemary Barton at the Luxembourg restaurant. At the end of the restaurants cabaret night the lights went up and Rosemary was found dead slumped on the table. It was decided that Rosemary had committed sui
Eva
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Agatha Christie. I always return to her looking for consolation of some sort, and her books always work for me.

This is a very clever story. You recognise the best Christie novels if at the ending you wonder how you could have missed it. The plot is simple, yet ingenious. And somehow you don't see it coming because Agatha Christie cleverly puts up a smokescreen sending you in the wrong direction.

This novel is set almost a year after the death of Rosemary Barton. Her death was thought a su
Karine Mon coin lecture
C'est Agatha... mais pas le meilleur Agatha à mon goût à moi!

Mayada Boucif
تُبهرنا أغاثا كعادتها <3 !
Belén
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to read a book by Agatha Christie and I thought doing it reading "and then there were none" but finally my dad gave me "Sparkling Cyanide".
I must say that I loved the book. All hypotheses I had while I read the story were wrong.
The story kept me entertained all the time. I recommend it so much to everyone.

Tenía muchísimas ganas de leer un libro de Agatha Christie y pensaba hacerlo leyendo "diez negritos" pero finalmente mi papá me regaló "cianuro espumoso"
Debo decir que el libro
Jessica H &#x1f33a;
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Agatha Christie is just the best. I never get it right! I liked the set up of this one--a chapter devoted to each of the suspects & how they all have motive. I also like the unglamorous Colonel Race as the investigator.
Nora
This is my all-time favorite Agatha Christie and honestly, I can't tell you why. It's been my fav since I was a small child. And I know every word in it, I listened to it so many times :D
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • The Documents in the Case
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen

More about Agatha Christie...

Colonel Race (4 books)
  • The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1)
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot #15)
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
  • Beautiful Malice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • Motion to Suppress
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99
“Most successes are unhappy. That's why they are successes-they have to reassure themselves about themselves by achieving something that the world will notice.... The happy people are failures because they are on such good terms with themselves that they don't give a damn.” 36 likes
“How little you might know of a person after living in the same house with them!” 16 likes