Start by marking “A History in Fragments: Europe in the Twentieth Century” as Want to Read:
A History in Fragments: Europe in the Twentieth Century

A History in Fragments: Europe in the Twentieth Century

The problem with the history of twentieth-century Europe is that everyone thinks they know it. The great stories of the century - the two world wars, the rise and fall of Nazism and communism, female emancipation - seem self-evidently important. But behin
Published April 11th 2010 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published August 31st 2000)

Start your review of A History in Fragments: Europe in the Twentieth Century
Krocht Ehlundovič
Super kniha o období! Koncept ako autor pristupuje k udalostiam, ako ich vyberá a vysvetľuje bol a je pre mňa fascinujúci a neuveriteľne obohacujúci - stále o nej premýšľam a neviem sa nabažiť myšlienkami, ktoré kniha zasial a teraz vo mne rašia ako burina.

Spočiatku som pristupoval ku knihe s dešpektom - priznávam, keď vidím knihy, ktoré sa snažia syntetizovať nejaké obdobie, zaváňa to zjednodušovaním, radikálnou selekciou udalostí a plytkosťou pre "amatérov". Ako som na toto došiel? Ani neviem
Victoria
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Absolutely fantastic read, though oriented towards scholars/history students. Offers history from a new angle and its intricate details leaves your imagination wandering in the past. The chapter on Genocide nearly had me in tears - history is better than fiction because it is all the more real. Vinen is truly gold.
Lucy
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I really, really like this book. I am using it for a fiction project and find it to be an excellent survey of the times in history that I need to know more about. Though it's too broad to offer me all the information I need, I think it is an excellent resource in terms of finding the authors and work that I do need--work that I would not have been able to find otherwise.

I also really enjoy Vinen's tone and style--he's much more conversational than the average historian, and I like the way that
Jenna
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-europe
The chapter that summarizes varies reactions/the legacy of the Great War, while due to its shortness, obviously makes some generalizations, nonetheless does a good overview of some differences between nations--primarily France and England, as well as classes/society.

Rudy

• Afropean: Notes from Black Europe
  • Antisemitism: What It Is. What It Isn't. Why It Matters
  • Qui a tué mon père
  • The End of Eddy
  • The Roman Guide to Slave Management: A Treatise by Nobleman Marcus Sidonius Falx
  • War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)
  • To søstre
  • Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth
  • The European Tribe
  • All These Worlds (Bobiverse, #3)
  • For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)
Richard Vinen is a Professor in Modern European History at King's College, London. Prior to joining the department in 1991, he was a Fellow at Trinity College, Cambridge and also lectured at Queen Mary (Westfield) College.

Richard Vinen is the author of the widely praised "A History in Fragments: Europe in the Twentieth Century". He writes regularly for The Independent, The Times Litera