Start by marking “Everyday Sexism” as Want to Read:
Everyday Sexism

Everyday Sexism

Women are standing up and #shoutingback. In a culture that's driven by social media, for the first time women are using this online space (@EverydaySexism www.everydaysexism.com) to come together, share their stories and encourage a new generation to recognise the problems that women face. This book is a call to arms in a new wave of feminism and it proves sexism is endemi ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Sexism, please sign up.
Maria I would say it's both. You can find stories and different situations (told by both men and women) but it's a statement itself.

Emily May
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014, feminism
When I was younger, there was a club in a nearby town that did a 13-17 year olds night. It was mostly filled with the lower end of that age group, stood around overdressed with cokes in hand, pretending the coke was laced with something stronger. It was basically a glorified youth club with strobe lighting and overpriced soft drinks, but we felt so fucking rebellious and grown up.

I remember the first time I went very well. I was nervous and excited to be "going out" and couldn't wait to dance an
Paul Bryant
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Update!

I had to share this with you all, you'll see why. I was listening to a cd of hit songs from the 1910s and 20s and came across this GEM. It's called

"Wait till you get them up in the Air, Boys"

and it's all about why any young man should learn how to fly a plane.....

Sometimes you try to love a girl
And she says no to you;
It makes you feel so blue,
But there's nothing you can do!

You take her for an auto ride
And start that mushy talk,
But if she doesn't like it,
She gets out and starts to walk.

Th
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

Edit : #LittleLinks
To add your story and read testimonies : http://everydaysexism.com/
Website for my French fellows : http://francais.everydaysexism.com/
Facebook page :https://www.facebook.com/EverydaySexi...

Let me introduce you the three reasons which explain why I'm eagerly recommending everyone to read this. Let's face it, I could have find more reasons, but I guess we have to stop at some point right?

"Sexism is a socially acceptable prejudice and everybody is getting in on the act."
Vanessa
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is undoubtedly the most important book I have read this year, and one that I believe should be read by everyone, whether you call yourself a feminist or not. This is relevant to absolutely everyone, not just women, and highlights the very real threats that unfortunately a great many people experience in their everyday lives.

Laura Bates collects her own experiences and those of others who have submitted to the EverydaySexism project over the years, and lays them out for us in various se
Whitney Atkinson
TW: rape, sexual abuse, domestic violence/abuse, eating disorders, pedophilia, and suicide.

“This is not a men-versus-women issue. It’s about people versus prejudice.”

This book could be draining to pick up at times, but I’m so glad I read it. It’s such an elegantly-worded and fully fleshed out call to action. In the most articulate books I’ve read so far, this handled intersectionalism so beautifully and folded together a LOT of examples and research balanced with Bates’ own discussion, as well a
Hannah
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started listening to this as a sort of antidote to the misery that was It by Stephen King (which I have since put on hold and I am not sure I will pick back up again, I struggled with the depiction of sexism and racism and homophobia), and while this was certainly not a fun book, it was one that I thoroughly recommend and one that I am so very glad to have read.

Laura Bates talks about sexism here, the small acts and the larger acts and how they together form a society that is not particularly
Jo
Regardless of whether you call yourself a feminist, this book should be essential reading for all. This book is extremely relevant to women and men alike and discusses the real issues and threats that many people have to put up with on a daily basis.
Laura Bates is masterful here in this book. She talks about her own experiences and we can read about the experiences of others, that over a period if time, have shared their stories with "The everyday sexism project" These experiences are placed in
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I never know how to react to sexual harassment. It's different every time. I was walking home from middle school and a boy I passed on the sidewalk reached behind him and grabbed my ass. The next day my brother and I yelled obscenities at him from our front porch. Later that same year, a guy in a car pulled up to my best friend and I to ask if we wanted to go to Wendy's with him. We immediately found a cop, who wrote down every word we said despite our lamentably vague descriptions. A few years ...more
Ylenia
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update August 2016: changed the rating from 4.5 to 5 stars because I think about this book every single day.

Day 1 (4/28/16)- Chapter 1
Dismissal of arguments or thoughts because "she's just pms-ing" or hormonal.

☝ every single day at work.

This first chapter made me feel so scared and enraged at the same time. If you want the short version: sexism is pretty much everywhere and it's fucking scary.

Why people don't understand the concept of sexism and instead blame the victims for how they were
Tim
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
I can sum up my reaction to this book in one word: horror. I was already aware of the Everyday Sexism Project and had read some studies on the levels of harassment women have to endure. But even so, I was taken aback by the shear scale of the problem described by Laura Bates in the book, made more hard hitting by the individual accounts of what contributors to the Everyday Sexism website have experienced.

All this would be bad enough, but as Bates makes clear, the problem is compounded by how wo
Neave
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am going to be one of the few people who actually gives this book a negative review and say exactly why I feel quite a lot of this doesn't express 'Everyday Sexism' as the title, so untruthfully suggests.

My first issue with this book upon reading is that it dramatises every form of sexual assault there is. A chapter called 'Women In Learning' made this dramatisation even more potent for me because of the way reading this actually made me feel.
I feel anxious and daunted by the fact of going t
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this. It's so important and tackles everything from rape culture to victim blaming to catcalling, etc. I'll definitely try to get some of my family and friends to read this as well.
André Oliveira
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enough is enough.
Polly
More like 4.5/5 ☆

Thoughts to come...
Iset
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing

It’s difficult to know where to begin with this review. This is one of the most important books I have ever read. Everyday Sexism resonated with me to a degree I had not expected. As a child I have to admit I didn’t notice this sort of thing, by and large. Maybe because I was lucky enough to have liberal-minded parents who never placed arbitrary restrictions on my aspirations and ambitions. As a teenager I slowly started becoming more aware when I was treated differently due to my gender, someth
Crystal Starr Light
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially to those who think sexism is dead
Recommended to Crystal Starr Light by: Iset
Shelves: feminism, non-fiction
Bullet Review:

Instead of reading my review, do yourself a favor and read this book.

I am VERY fortunate to not experience half of what most of the women here have, but this is a HUGELY important book. Keep your ears open and remember: Just because you've never experienced it, doesn't mean it never happens. Use some empathy.
Nicole
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why the heck isn’t this book more popular!? Only 5k ratings what a shame! I loved loved this book and I’d recommend it to every feminist out there. And not feminist. Basically everyone.
Kaitlin
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book made me so mad at times. Sexism is real, rampant and horrible. As a woman in a society where I'm lucky enough not to experience sexism myself too often this was both shocking and nasty at times to hear other women's experiences. I don't experience as much sexism as others because I have chosen (or forced myself) to hide away from dark nights, strange people, clubs and the 'usual suspects' but WHY should I and many many many other women HAVE to hide or not go somewhere/wear something et ...more
Alice Lippart
A devestating and tough read, but also fascinating and eye-opening. Very, very good.
Peter Mcloughlin
This book has a collection of some of the worse things women have to suffer on a daily basis. I generally don't encounter this stuff in a first-person context. I have seen some of this happen to women at times. I have heard things from women and I probably have engaged in some of the less nasty behaviors at times (some I plead blundering ignorance for my mea culpa. I am trying to be a better person btw). The shit women have to go through when it is presented in such a raw manner is staggering. F ...more
Indah
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Everyone should read this. Everyone. It made me think in ways I hadn't before and feel blessed that I have not experienced much of what other women suffer through. This book is essential in elaborating why we need feminism en gender equality. It is a tough read, especially the entries from the Everyday Sexism project nearly made me cry. But it is an essential read.
So please. Read this book.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}

Laura Bates brings issues of harassment, assault and abuse of both men and women to light, after being deluged with submissions to her website and Twitter accounts. Seemingly small incidents of off-hand remarks can feel like the death of a thousand cuts when they happen everyday in every facet of your life. These sexist ouccrences happen so often and are so insidious and pervasive in Western society that they've become normalised to the point we feel silly for being upset about instances others
Selene
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Feminist Lit February (February 1 - February 28) I know I didn’t finish this until mid March but I don’t care, I’m counting it.
Challenge #2 - Feminist Non-Fiction
Challenge #3 - Feminist Own Voices Book
Challenge #5 - Recommendation From A Feminist
Kris - My Novelesque Life
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EVERYDAY SEXISM
Written by Laura Bates
2014; Simon and Schuster (384 Pages)
Genre: nonfiction, social issues, gender, essays, sexism, feminism

RATING: ★★★★★

After being sexually harassed on a public transport Laura Bates takes to Twitter with a new project called, Everyday Sexism Project. As a journalist she starts to collect stories from other woman and realizes how big and problematic this issue is. Bates had women in every country, class, culture etc telling their story of sexism. The one underlin
Evelyn
Like many, I first heard about Bates' Everyday Sexism project via Twitter when the #ShoutingBack hashtag was gaining momentum, and I thought it was a great idea to have an online platform where women can share their daily experiences of sexism. I picked up the accompanying book, yet I had no idea of the emotional impact it was going to have on me.

When I was 12 years old, my proudest moment was when I campaigned with a group of other girls in my year to force our headmaster to let us wear trouser
Fatma
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK. SO POWERFUL.

Everyday Sexism has been on my mind ever since I finished it. It's been a little over a week since I read it and it has somehow managed to colour my everyday experiences in a way no other book this year has. I want everyone to read this book, regardless of gender. I want people to realize the lived realities of women. I want people to realize that feminism is not just important, but also really freaking necessary. When half the world is crying out and having their experie
Chris
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

Recently, a friend posted an article to her Facebook. The article was about how daughters devote more time to caring for parents as opposed to sons. My comment on her post was how was this news. Because, who is supposed by that finding? Outliers aside, most daughters already knew the truth of that statement. In many ways, this is what the book is about.

If you haven’t heard about the Everyday Sexism project, then you need to get your head out of the sand. Bates star
Kirjavaras
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Äärimmäisen vaikuttava lukukokemus, joka sai minut miettimään monia asioita uudella tavalla. Seksismi on ongelma, jolle jokaisen on avattava silmänsä nyt eikä myöhemmin. Lisää ajatuksia blogissa.
Lee
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone except Bruce Banner
Shelves: non-fiction
Coming from a background in science I'm well aware that women are basically the same as men, but with less penises.

Obviously that's a gross simplification, there are many other differences: women tend to be shorter, live longer, and are statistically more likely to have a baby than a man is. But these are all physiological differences. What about the other differences? And that's where things get slippery and slopey.

I have a young cousin who is in her second year of primary school. When looking
Strewdo ht
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I ended up finishing it in the end! I thought I wouldn't because of my studies, but the last three or four chapters got me hooked tbh, I read them all in one day (which I couldn't accomplish for the book club readalong for even one chapter XD) For those who didn't know our book club, The Tunisian Bookies, chose this book as our August read to celebrate national women's day. I think we couldn't have chosen better. It has stories and experiences from thousands of women, how they struggled with sex ...more
The Nopebook #Yep...: MAY: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates 12 13 May 18, 2017 01:00PM
The Feminist Orch...: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates Discussion 19 245 Apr 10, 2017 05:18AM
  • Flickan och skammen: En bok om samhällets syn på slampor
  • The Beat Hotel: Ginsberg, Burroughs and Corso in Paris, 1957-1963
  • The Kenneth Williams Diaries
  • Meetings with Morrissey
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection
  • The Holocaust: A New History
  • Suede: Love and Poison: The Authorised Biography
  • Coal Black Mornings
  • The Equality Illusion: The Truth About Women And Men Today
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: Timothy Leary, Richard Nixon and the Hunt for the Fugitive King of LSD
  • The Battle For Paradise
  • The Vagenda: A Zero Tolerance Guide to the Media
  • Uncommon People: The Rise and Fall of the Rock Stars 1955-1994
  • Lemon Jail: On the Road with the Replacements
  • Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism
  • To Throw Away Unopened
  • Because We Say So (City Lights Open Media)
  • David Bowie: A Life
Laura Bates is the founder of the Everyday Sexism Project, an ever-increasing collection of over 25,000 women's experiences of gender imbalance. She has written for The Guardian, The Independent, Red Magazine, Grazia, the Women's Media Center, and the New Statesman. She was named one of the Huffington Post's Most Inspirational Women of 2012 and shortlisted for the 2013 Shorty Award in activism.
“Women who lead, read” 36 likes
“I’m fifteen and I feel like girl my age are under a lot of pressure that boys are not under. I know I am smart, I know I am kind and funny, and I know that everyone around me keeps telling me that I can be whatever I want to be. I know all this but I just don’t feel that way. I always feel like if I don’t look a certain way, if boys don’t think I’m ‘sexy’ or ‘hot’ then I’ve failed and it doesn’t even matter if I am a doctor or writer, I’ll still feel like nothing. I hate that I feel like that because it makes me seem shallow, but I know all of my friends feel like that, and even my little sister. I feel like successful women are only considered a success if they are successful AND hot, and I worry constantly that I won’t be. What if my boobs don’t grow, what if I don’t have the perfect body, what if my hips don’t widen and give me a little waist, if none of that happens I feel like what’s the point of doing anything because I’ll just be the ‘fat ugly girl’ regardless of whether I do become a doctor or not.
I wish people would think about what pressure they are putting on everyone, not just teenage girls, but even older people – I watch my mum tear herself apart every day because her boobs are sagging and her skin is wrinkling, she feels like she is ugly even though she is amazing, but then I feel like I can’t judge because I do the same to myself. I wish the people who had real power and control the images and messages we get fed all day actually thought about what they did for once.
I know the girls on page 3 are probably starving themselves. I know the girls in adverts are airbrushed. I know beauty is on the inside. But I still feel like I’m not good enough.”
33 likes