Start by marking “The Unquiet House” as Want to Read:
The Unquiet House

The Unquiet House

It isn't long before Charlie Mitchell, grandson of the original owner, appears claiming that he wants to seek out his family. But Emma suspects he's more interested in the house than his long-lost relations.

And when
Published April 10th 2014 by Jo Fletcher Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Unquiet House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unquiet House

Kimberly
THE UNQUIET HOUSE, by Alison Littlewood is the first book I have read by this author. The novel starts out like many other haunted house stories--someone (in this case, a lonely woman named Emma Dean), suddenly inherits a house from a relative she didn't know she had. Having no friends (that I could tell), and just recently losing both of her parents, Emma goes to see the property with a plan to sell it immediately. Once she gets there, however, she feels "needed/wanted" by the house.

". . . It c
James Everington
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love haunted houses, me. I love Hill House, I love Hell House, I love The House Next Door and the House Of Leaves.

And now I think I love Mire House, too.

For Alison Littlewood's new(ish) novel is a haunted house novel to rank with all the above; where the house is not just a home for spooky beings, but a corruption of all a house should actually be; an archetypal 'bad place'; a mirror of its inhabitant's hopes and fears; a trap.

The Unquiet House is told in four interlocking sections, starting i
Jason
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
2.5 Stars

A fast haunted house read that was just ok by me. The book is split up by giving us looks into the past of Mire House by telling the story of past owners. Everything is ties together I the end. I liked the present day story and the ending was ok. This one is just ok.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

The Unquiet House is the best horror book I’ve read so far this year. That could be, in part, because it’s a ghost story, and I’m a huge fan of ghost stories. But still, it highly outranks the other ghost stories I read this year, like “The Woman in Black: Angel of Death” and “The Everlasting”.

But back to The Unquiet House. Emma has inherited the house from a long-lost relative she never even heard of. The strange thi
Joanne Sheppard
I love a good haunted house story, and I downloaded the audiobook of Alison Littlewood's The Unquiet House hoping it would provide some creepy chills during the dark autumn days. While it did keep me entertained, though, ultimately I felt it didn't quite deliver.

The book opens with Emma, a single woman whose parents have recently died, inheriting a large old house from a distant relative. Although her early intention is to sell it, she is immediately captivated by the mysterious property, moves
Anthony
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alison Littlewood has taken a risk in using a type of fractured tandem structure for her haunted house story. Supernatural tales are usually best left to a straightforward narrative that drives the reader along. But this isn’t a normal ghost story. This is a story of how ghosts are created and more importantly how they change the living world around them. The author took a risk and it paid off in spades.

The novel starts in present day. Nothing too unfamiliar here. A large country place called Mi
Emily Crow
This was an average entry into the young-woman-inherits-spooky-house genre. It wasn't scary, but it was competently written and a fast read. The story is divided up into three time periods: present day with our young protagonist, the 1970s from the POV of the boy next door, and the 1940s, when the trouble all began, from the POV of a young woman living close to the house. In a ghost story, I prefer more focus, as I think that makes the story more compelling. (view spoiler) ...more
Karl
Jul 24, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is copy 47 of 200 signed numbered copies.
Paul
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

And when she starts seeing ghostly figures, Emma begins to wonder: is Charlie trying to scare her away, or are there darker secrets lu
Mark
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Mire House is dreary, dark, cold and infested with midges. But when Emma Dean inherits it from a distant relation, she immediately feels a sense of belonging. It isn’t long before Charlie Mitchell, grandson of the original owner, appears claiming that he wants to seek out his family. But Emma suspects he’s more interested in the house than his long-lost relations. And when she starts seeing ghostly figures, Emma begins to wonder: is Charlie trying to scare her away, or are there darker secrets l ...more
H.E. Bulstrode
Does she own the house, or does the house own her?
This is the second of Alison Littlewood’s books that I’ve read, and whereas I wasn’t as taken with it as with The Hidden People, I still found it a solid read. The novel opens with a theme of loss and acquisition, with its protagonist – Emma Dean – having lately lost both of her parents, as well as a distant elderly relative who has bequeathed her Mire House. However, it soon becomes apparent that the house as much owns Emma, as she owns it.

The
Liz Barnsley
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Available Now from Jo Fletcher Books.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

And when she starts seeing ghostly figur
Zoe
Apr 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in two minds about whether I should be reviewing a book I didn't even see through to the end. After giving this a good try, I gave up. I'm disappointed because this started off like a typical haunted house horror and I couldn't wait to dive in and be spooked - unfortunately it didn't deliver.

This book jumps from present day to past tense which ordinarily I don't mind. Having said that, I found the 'yorkshire slang' which was used constantly incredibly hard to read. Frustratingly hard. After
Amy Durreson
I really enjoyed this one. I'm on a bit of a ghost story kick at the moment, and this is the best modern one I've read yet (Susan Hill excepted, obviously, but I've already read all of hers). There's a few shivery moments and a really sneaky plot: I didn't manage to predict the twists correctly. The structure is a little unusual: we start in the modern day with Emma, who has unexpectedly inherited an old house in the country from a distant relative, but then it jumps back to the 70s and then aga ...more
Any Length
Jul 02, 2014 marked it as discarded  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't bear this book. It was boring from the start and the writing didn't make sense.
The protagonist inherits a house and although she has already made up her mind that she will sell it she drives to it and walks around in it thinking of the bedroom she would choose. All along she says
"my house", and "I own property" then it turns out it's not the first house she inherited and not the first property she owns.
The words "I own property" only make sense for her to say to herself if it's the f
Mariel Simone
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!

You really feel for the characters. At times you love them, other times you despise them, other times you think they are acting really foolish and you get really sad or happy when something happens to them. All the time you are completely feeling everything and you really feel a part of the story.
Luke Walker
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very atmospheric and creepy haunted house tale. Nicely done with the three time periods and stories all linking.
Faery
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is divided into 4 sections covering different times of Mire house. This format worked really well as each section provided pieces of the story for the reader to join together. The first section focussed on Emma, who discovers she has inherited the house. I felt the story got off to a good start, it was chilling and highly enjoyable. After that the book gradually started to lose momentum which is such a shame as the overall story was good and it also went into the background of the gho ...more
Mieneke
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2014
I've wanted to read Alison Littlewood's books ever since reading reviews for her debut novel A Cold Season. For some reason or another, I never picked up that one or her second novel A Path of Needles, despite having review copies for both of them. But after meeting Alison at WFC last year and reading the synopsis for The Unquiet House, I was determined to read it come publication time and here we are. What I found inside its pages must be one of the creepiest novels I've read in ages, together ...more
Alexandra Brown
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
'Read' as an audio book. I wonder if 'ghost stories', because that is what this is, are intensified listening to them like a read-out-loud story?
OMG! But did I enjoy it.
Claudia Corpus
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not good

Most of it is boring. When the end is coming it gets a little bit interesting, but the end is disappointing. Not good enough to recommend it.
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-stories
Another clever idea from a really brilliant writer. Did feel the ending went on a bit but ultimately found it a rewarding read,
Jeanette Greaves
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Unquiet House by Alison Littlewood
A review by Jeanette Greaves

Alison Littlewood is a modern writer of classic horror, and in 'The Unquiet House' she portrays a growing menace, a lurking evil that has poisoned lives through several generations.
Mire House was built to be a place of love, a place to raise a large, happy family with many children. When love and motherhood are both thwarted, hope turns to despair, and despair turns into vengeful bitterness. The house, over many years, decays thr
Susan Mackie Powers
The Unquiet House is a great, creepy, atmospheric ghost story with a little twist: it takes the reader from present day, back to the beginning so that we gain a full understanding of how the home became haunted.

Mire House is dreary, dark, cold and infested with midges. At the beginning of the story, Emma Dean inherits it from a distant relative, and immediately feels a sense of belonging. Emma has lost her parents recently, and is ready for a new start in a new place. She is a bit surprised tha
Catherine
When Emma receives a cryptic letter from a (very) distant relative, bequeathing her the ancient and isolated Mire House, she is sure that she will sell the house on. However, when she visits the house for herself, she feels an instant sense of belonging.

Enter the last remaining direct relative, Charlie, Grandson of the deceased, who intends to get to know Emma better as they are family, but as strange things begin to happen in the house, Emma can't help but wonder if Charlie has an ulterior moti
Carole Tyrrell
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Emma Dean inherits Mire House from a distant relative she's never met she feels that it could be a completely fresh start for her. Recently orphaned due to the death of her parents, she is still coming to terms with it. Howvever Mire House is dark and neglected but Emma feels that she can bring it back to life. Then she has a visitor, Charlie Mitchell, the grandson of the original owner and Emma soon begins to wonder if his interest is really about rediscovering family links or in the house ...more
Robyn Koshel
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the old song says "This old house once knew my children; This old house once knew my wife..." and Mire house, has a very long memory.

Emma barely has time to make a cup of tea before Charlie arrives. Charlie is a sort of relation and rival to the will that left Emma Mire house.

At the start you don't know if Charlie is the good guy or not; but you do feel like something sinister is going on. It made me doubt if Charlie was gas lighting Emma to convince her she was "seeing things" or if there we
Tania Godwin-evans
This is a gothic novel in the vein of Northanger Abbey about a creepy house and its occupants. Not my typical pick and this is why Netgalley is so good; it allows you to try genres and books that you would normally try.

I mean who in their right mind would see a remote house once and then remove themselves from their former life (even if that new house was inherited) but that said if she had acted like a normal person there would not be a story!

The prose of this novel was, at times poetic and the
Eve K
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This book is really boring. It's repetitive and bland and by 5 chapters in, there's still no hook. It's just some boring female droning laboriously on and on about her boring, yet not credible, day.

Seriously, 5 chapters in and no hook? Not one thing that signals there's going to be anything interesting to come. The protagonist inherits a massive old house. Cue boring, unnecessary, completely unatmospheric description of pretty much every room of the house. Cue pointless mention of her parents'
Hedge End Library: The Unquiet House 1 6 Aug 13, 2014 07:23AM
  • The Boy Meets Girl Massacre (Annotated)
  • Nyctophobia
  • Rabbits in the Garden
  • Facial
  • Exorcist Road
  • House of Fear
Alison Littlewood was raised in Penistone, South Yorkshire, and went on to attend the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (now Northumbria University). Originally she planned to study graphic design, but “missed the words too much” and switched to a joint English and History degree. She followed a career in marketing before developing her love of writing fiction.

Her first book, A Cold Season (2