Start by marking “The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)

The Arctic Event (Covert-One #7)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  4,316 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
On a remote island in the Canadian Arctic, researchers discover the wreckage of a mysterious World War II-era aircraft, a discovery that forces the Russian Federation into a shocking admission. The unmarked plane is a Soviet strategic bomber that disappeared with its crew more than fifty years ago while carrying two metric tons of weaponized anthrax.

Desperate to prevent a
Audio CD, 13 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by Hachette Audio (first published September 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Arctic Event, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arctic Event

Anthony Fisher
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good action packed book for pure escapism. The story is set in the northern canadian waters on a isolated island and is set around a 50 year old mysteriously crashed USSR bomber at the start of the cold war. What had been the 'mission' and why was it carrying a cargo of anthrax? The bomber was found by a survey team, resulting in a joint investigation team of 3 americans and a russian Air Force Major setting out to reach the island. Why is a 'crack' platoon of russian soldiers dropped by ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
This book is part of a series created by Robert Ludlum but written by James Cobb. Confusing isn't it? James Patterson does a similar thing by co-authoring many of his books now, but forgive me for being old fashioned, but if it's Robert Ludlum's series, shouldn't it have been written by him alone? I don't believe writers should continue to write a book series after an author's death.

Okay, now that's off my chest, let me tell you I enjoyed this book. Recommended by a family member, I struggled wi
Cdh0061
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action in this book was very well described, very immaculate in detail, and extremely gritty to boot. The plot is well conceived and the isolation makes it all a little more believable. James H. Cobb seems to be a very good addition to the pantheon of covert-one novelists.
Lbd
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I love covert one! This one had a lot of possibilities that could have happened. Cobb has done a good job at picking up the thread and style of Ludlum. I hope there will be more covert one novels.
Bobat Chearsdotorg
A good page-turner to keep you distracted on a long airplane or automobile journey. Features a knife-wielding agent who could be Jason Bourne's twin sister.
Spencer
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story and interesting main character. there are a couple suggestions around violent sexual scenes so not a book for kids
Jason
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great easy read

Great special ops / spy novel. Not as far fetched as some of the Bourne series. Too bad they didn't make this into a movie.
Melanie Winter
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clara
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review #4
Mrs. Wyckhyuse
English B4
December 16, 2016

The 7th book in the Covert-One series is the intriguing, suspenseful, and entertaining book "The Arctic Event." "The Arctic Event" is written mainly by James H. Cobb, this book is a mystery book compact with some of the most suspenseful situations in all 390 pages. From the first sight of danger until the problem is solved you wont be able to put this book down. The author put the protagonist Col. Jon Smith, Randi Russel, and their team int
Komet
Apr 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Cold saga called "Arctic Event"

Aah, people have often recommended Robert Ludlum to me as the best thriller author. But as the fate would have it, I've never before now had a chance to get my hands on him, thats before Arctic Event that is. Well one could very well argue that Arctic Event is not a real Ludlum novel, as it is a series that the Master author created and his apprentice continued it as a series. So here we go with my review:

The book start of with an epilogue, about 50 years from th
Stephen Gallup
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
For as long as I continue to endure a long daily commute, I will continue to rely on semi-randomly selected audiobooks to stave off boredom. The Arctic Event is the most recent in that ever-lengthening list of titles. The name Robert Ludlum had caught my eye on the library shelf, as I understood him to have been an author of thrillers. I realized too late that Ludlum had not actually written this one, even though his name is on it. (Presumably the publisher had rights to continue adding new titl ...more
Anthony
Aug 24, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ebooks
When I first started reading this particular series, it was because of the original author, Robert Ludlum. I became a fan from his character Jason Bourne. Then I had decided to expand my curiosity of his other character,Jon Smith. The Arctic Event, is his 7th thriller in the series now, and co-written by James H. Cobb. Of all the books that I have read in this series, this has become one of my favourites.

The character, Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith normally works alone by his own personal habits
Paula Howard
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to give this a 4.5. All and all it was a good story line. My problem with the books is I felt that is didn't really follow in the mode of Robert Ludlum. Short of the names of the Covert One agents, it didn't necessarily read as a Ludlum Covert One book.

Covert One is called on once again to come to the aid of the country. A plane has been found off Wednesday Island. While it may look American it is actually Russian.

Klein calls on Jon Smith to lead the mission. He is joined by an
Barbara
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is intrigue at its best and kept me on the edge of my reading chair. It is a fast and exciting read.

On a remote island in the Canadian Arctic, researchers discover the wreckage of a mysterious World War II-era aircraft, a discovery that forces the Russian Federation into a shocking admission. The unmarked plane is a Soviet strategic bomber that disappeared with its crew more than fifty years ago while carrying two metric tons of anthrax, ready to be activated and dropped on a target.

Despera
Jerome
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast-paced page-turner. Several times during the read I caught myself tapping the right edge of the screen to look ahead to make sure the bad stuff didn't happen, or that the good plan succeeded. Trivial, I know.

As far as having Ludlum's name on it, I'd say it wasn't a Ludlum book. This is my first foray into the world of books written by people with permission to attach their name to Ludlum's. I briefly considered reading the Bourne continuation by Lustbader, but decided against it.
Eddy Allen
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
cc:

Desperate to prevent a political and diplomatic firestorm, the U.S. president dispatches a Covert-One team led by Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith to
Jaswin Joy
3 stars.
Long back when I read the first Covert-One book I realized I had something like gold in my hands. Anybody who has read Ludlum as much as I have would know that some or most of his books in recent times mirror plot lines from his previous books back in the day.

And then I saw the movie, of the first book and I was like wow maybe they shouldn't have. Ludlum is gone. His books still continue to be written by other authors. Eric van Lustbader continues the Bourne series in less than lackluste
Thee_ron_clark
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
In the Arctic Event, a scientific study group in Canada discovers a crashed plane. It turns out that this plane is a Soviet bomber with an anthrax payload that disappeared in the fifties.

A team of American covert specialists and one Soviet liason is dispatched to the island to ensure the anthrax is retrieved before it falls into the wrong hands. Unfortunately, the Soviet governments has other secrets to conceil from the Americans and have put alternative plans into motion in case the crash sight
Henri Moreaux
The Arctic Event is the 7th book in the Covert-One series and I have to say what started out 16 years ago rather cornily with the Hades Factor has turned into a rather good series. When Patrick Larkin took over writing with The Lazarus Vendetta the series found it's rhythm, quality improved and he continued that with The Moscow Vector.

Now with The Arctic Event James Cobb has taken over writing and it's every bit as good the prior two books, and miles ahead in quality of the initial books by Gay
Kate
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast moving hard to set down thriller that starts with the discovery of a WWII era downed bomber on the small arctic island by a group of researchers. Their find brings a tremendous admission by Russia that it is one of theirs and that it might a few tons of weapons grade anthrax.
The President and Premier agree to send a special task force of three Americans and one Russian on a covert assignment to secure the area, and verify if there is a bio-weapons platform.
As is typical, someone has gotte
Ben Adkison
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Arctic Event is the seventh book in the Covert-One Series originally created by Robert Ludlum, and I'm willing to say it's my favorite so far. The Gayle Lynds novels are particularly good (and some of the best in the series), but Cobb did a fantastic job of capturing his readers' attention in this unique addition to the Covert-One family. The storyline features a new character - Valentina Metrace (a bond-girl type agent and future love interest to Jon Smith), and a killer setting - The Canad ...more
Pat Kidd
This is a fascinating story concept - Russian spy plane goes down in Iceland in 1953. Fast forward to 2013, the airplane is spotted during a scientific survey. The US is asked for help identifying the cargo load. Covert 1 (Jon) takes over; the crew includes Randi. Interesting story. However, not the style of writing that we have become accustomed to in the Covert 1 series. This author uses a lot of adjectives and adverbs - too many, in my opinion. Several sections almost sound like romance novel ...more
Jeff Yoak
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Arctic Event has the best story since the early novels in the series created by Robert Ludlum. The characters and style of the novel seem more divergent to the point that it is almost like reading an independent work, but I really did like the story. I had been on the fence as to whether to acquire The Infinity Affair when it comes out later this month, but I think Cobb is doing an excellent job with the series and so I do plan to.
John Matsui
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been generally disappointed by writers brought in to carry on series created by Robert Ludlum. I'm happy to report that James H. Cobb's Arctic Event is the exception. It is a well crafted read with all the political intrigue and the conflicting personalities that I loved so well in works penned by Ludlum. The reader gets enough insight into the characters and the politics to be pulled into the conflicts. It also gives a bit of a nod to a changed Russia but one still conflicted by past misde ...more
Anna
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
I have yet not found a Ludlum I wouldn't have liked.
Although the pre-Covert One ones are my favorites, this one was just what I needed. Ludlum like action, perfect for travel (or when you wish you were traveling).
James Cobb's writing style at least in this book is quite a bit like Clive Cussler. A bit more science than a basic Ludlum, but that fit perfectly this Covert One story. There's also an awesome claustrophobic atmosphere of the arctic island, and less moving in different countries or lo
Abhilasha
This book is part of the Covert-one series, thriller novels by Robert Ludlum along with various other authors. Covert one is a top-secret agency of US that comprises of various experts who fight conspiracy at the highest level that might result into potentially fatal encounters for the world should it succeed.

Although a sloppy start, story builds up well mid-way with some strong revelations of conspiracy and charaters. Mystery, action, adventure well balanced with trivial human emotions. All in
Denise Hartman

This book was hard to get into or I would have given it more stars. The tension and excitement at the end are worth 4 or 5 stars but that first 60 pages or so to get going brings me down to 3 stars. I did enjoy the characters and think I wwould try one of these Robert Ludlums written by... again sometime. The scenario of the arctic was interesting and exciting for the setting. You could feel it at times. The characters were interesting. Their amazing mastery of their weapons was enviable if not
Calvin Chan
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book if you love action packed/thriller/military scenes. Finished this book within a few weeks, its a lengthy book but fighting scenes like the team of four americans vs. the spetznas kept me from going to sleep. This book moves by at a very fast pace due to the descriptive details that just make you want to read more after learning about the new characters and missions. Lots of unexpected twists and turns in this book. Oh, and you'll get a addicted after the first 50 pages. Something ...more
Joel Woudstra
I thought it was worthwhile to read, but it didn't grab my attention like some other books I've read. It was a fairly interesting read, but nothing out the ordinary. The only thing that made this book decent was because of the situation all the characters were in while they were going through their struggles. They were all in the Arctic and in extremely cold weather so some parts of the book were a little tense and fun to read.

The book wasn't anything special or out of the ordinary, but still wo
Jim
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give 5 of 5 stars to the Arctic Action novel Arctic Event by Robert Ludlum. A cold-war era Russian aircraft crash in the Arctic circle on an island north of Hudson Bay leads to a modern day thriller complete with international terrorists, the Russian Federation having two teams working different agendas and our heros right in the middle without much help or support. Suspenseful, exciting and unpredictable are words I’d use to explain why I enjoyed this audiobook. I continue to be a big fan of ...more
help! 1 21 Dec 12, 2010 03:11PM
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • The Cry of the Halidon
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Janson Command (Paul Janson, #2)

Covert-One (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Hades Factor (Covert-One, #1)
  • The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2)
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Moscow Vector (Covert-One, #6)
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)
  • The Geneva Strategy (Covert-One, #11)