Start by marking “The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror” as Want to Read:
The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror

The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
With the CIA at the core of the war on terror, no agency is as important to preserving America's freedom. Yet the CIA is a closed and secretive world-impenetrable to generations of journalists-and few Americans know what really goes on among the spy masters who plot America's worldwide campaign against terrorists.

Only Ronald Kessler, an award-winning former Washington Post
Published September 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The CIA at War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The CIA at War

Kevin Qroft
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kessler is a dick bag apologist.

He used money from his shitty books to start "Newsmax" his right wing rag.

This book has research, but its lazy research. He just prints what the spys gave him.

Do not read this book if you are looking for accurate information, in-depth information, critical examinations of historical narratives, or examination of the justification for a bloated intelligence agency at times of peace.

This is the book for sycophants of the CIA to reaffirm their jingoist hyper-capita
Al Lock
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Although ok, the focus is primarily on administrative level and not really on what the CIA does, certainly not on how it assisted in waging war. The Art of Intelligence by Henry Crumpton is much better at understanding what the CIA actually does (and did). The CIA at War is more about policy decisions.
An Le
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Given Ronald Kessler's reputation for investigative journalism and previously insightful books on similar and other aspects of the intelligence community, I found this book underwhelming. It seems to me the book began with a substantial and convincing historic context for pre-Cold War through early post-Cold War CIA. Kessler mixes first hand accounts with evidence in an effective manner to describe how CIA transformed through different DCIs from the presidencies of Nixon to GWB. However, informa ...more
Blake
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in intelligence and security studies.
"The CIA At War" is an update to Mr. Kessler's previous work on the CIA, "Inside the CIA", which brings the reader into the immediate post-9/11 timeframe as well as the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. I found this work a little disappointing. It is largely reprinted material from "Inside the CIA" and the newer material was relatively small. Moreover, the newer material focuses on the biography of George Tenet and does not delve into the current activities of the Agency.
Kevin McKenzie
Aug 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book reads like a psychological rundown on past executive figures of the CIA- it lacks substance and is loosely written and sourced. I could not finish it, as I didn't see the point. I would recommend Robert Baer or Legacy of Ashes for an in-depth look at the War on Terror on the intelligence spectrum.
Susan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this years ago (and am updating my list here so I can move away from my written record of books read) and generally enjoyed it. It isn't deep and is likely out of date by now, but it educated me on the CIA and its involvement in the Iraq war.
Jen
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked the book and learned a lot, but I thought it lacked a reader friendly flow.
Shauna
May 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Jake thought this would provide a look at the history of the CIA. It was instead written by a Bush apologist before Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo issues came to light
Mat Domaradzki
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting read about the intelligence community, it just bounced around a lot.
Tyler Vaughn
Jul 02, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
  • A Spy For All Seasons: My Life in the CIA
  • A Look Over My Shoulder: A Life in the Central Intelligence Agency
  • The Very Best Men: The Daring Early Years of the CIA
  • The Book of Honor: Covert Lives and Classified Deaths at the CIA
  • Burn Before Reading: Presidents, CIA Directors, and Secret Intelligence
  • The Man Who Kept the Secrets: Richard Helms & the CIA
  • Thwarting Enemies at Home and Abroad: How to Be a Counterintelligence Officer
  • Jawbreaker: The Attack on Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda: A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander
  • For the President's Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence & the American Presidency from Washington to Bush
  • Confessions of a Spy
  • The Craft of Intelligence: America's Legendary Spy Master on the Fundamentals of Intelligence Gathering for a Free World
  • Understanding Terror Networks
  • The Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA
  • Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on the Frontlines of the War Against Terrorism