Start by marking “Romance on the River (Civil War Heroines, #.5)” as Want to Read:
Romance on the River (Civil War Heroines, #.5)

Romance on the River

(Civil War Heroines .5)

This short story prequel by bestselling author Mary Ellis provides an early glimpse into the life of Quaker Emily Harrison. Laced with humor and a sweet love story, this bonus material also contains the first chapter of Emily’s continuing journey in The Quaker and the Rebel, Book 1 of the Civil War Heroines series.

Summer 1861—Emily Harrison is finding life a bit overwhelm
Published April 1st 2014 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Romance on the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romance on the River

J. Kahele
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brilliant idea!

I think more authors should do a prequel to a series, it helps to give you a good idea of what to expect. A blurb catches your attention, but are often too short and do not do justice to the actual story!
Bess
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: civil-war
Cute but not interested enough to tackle the novel.
Nadine Keels
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily, a young Quaker woman, has a lot to handle while running her family's farm on her own, not to mention her duty as the mistress of a safe house along the Underground Railroad. It may or may not be too soon for Emily to anticipate a marriage proposal from a young farmer nearby, but besides that, war in her country and news regarding her farm may plunge her into a future she isn't ready for in Romance on the River by author Mary Ellis.

Now, despite the title, I wouldn't call this short read a
Crystal
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read set right before the start of the Civil War. 1861 is the year, and Emily’s running the family farm on her own after the tragic deaths of her parents only a few months before. She’s given shocking news by her pastor at dinner, her parents farm had been mortgaged and her parents had been months behind on the payments and the bank is foreclosing.
Even though this is a work of fiction, my heart wanted to reach out to poor Emily. She’s really trying to make it on her own at only
Paula Shreckhise
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice little novella introducing Mary Ellis' Civil War book The Quaker and the Rebel and others in the series. Tells how Emily lost her parents and their farm and had to fend for herself. She is outspoken against slavery . She regularly tackles jobs she has no talent for, especially cooking. She is forced to take a job as a governess, which continues in the first novel of the series. Included was the first chapter of that book. It sets it up beautifully, giving up a look at her character.
Loraine
This is an extremely short prequel to the Civil War Heroines series. Barely enough to capture your interest. The ending definitely leaves you hanging, but I would read on to see what happens in Book 1, The Quaker and the Rebel.
Maureen
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book

It's a good bath read just kick back soak up the suds with this read . Don't forget the tea and candles.
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
ASIN: B00ISY89MQ
Genre: Historical e-short
$0.00
34 pages

This free short story prequel by bestselling author Mary Ellis provides an early glimpse into the life of Quaker Emily Harrison. Laced with humor and a sweet love story, this bonus material also contains the first chapter of Emily’s continuing journey in The Quaker and the Rebel, Book 1 of the Civil War Heroines series.

Summer 1861—Emily Harrison is fin
J.C. Morrows
Mary Ellis is a genius!

This eBook whetted my appetite for the full story in a way that was very surprising indeed.

I have never been a fan of Civil War era romance, or for anything about the Civil War era, in fact.

But after reading this tantalizing tome, I simply had to read the book that it gave me just a peek into!

And it does not matter how short the story may be, it was expertly written – giving the reader just enough information without spoiling anything about the novel to come.

In point of fa
Donna Thompson
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read
From the very first scene of "Romance on the River," I took a liking to Emily Harrison, the heroine of this short prequel story, which continues in the book, "The Quaker and the Rebel," the first book in a planned trilogy by Mary Ellis called the Civil War Heroines series.

I would recommend you read this first prior to "The Quaker and the Rebel," for the simple fact that you'll know more about Emily and her motives prior to her actions in that book. This is a brief introduction to her and gives y
D.J.
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, reviews

Mary Ellis is a genius!

This eBook was the perfect introduction to the full story….

I have to say that I have never been a fan of the Civil War era, but after reading this tantalizing intro, I have to read the book (thank goodness the review for it is due tomorrow)!

This short story gives the reader just enough information without spoiling anything about the novel to come. As a matter of fact, it gives us a glimpse into the start of Miss Harrison’s journey that makes “The Quaker and the Rebel” very
Dana Kamstra
This short story was really sweet. It isn’t necessary to start the story, but if you are like me, and can’t get enough of characters you like, it is nice to get a glimpse of Emily Harrison’s life before The Quaker and the Rebel picks up. The beginning is funny with Emily’s miserable attempts at cooking. It also makes a good explanation to why she decides to become more personally active on the Underground Railroad.

It might not be a page-turner, but for those of you who like to revisit a characte
Anne Marie
Apr 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I enjoy Mary Ellis BUT I wasn't too happy with the ending of this short story. I have read a few short stories and they end just right BUT this short story ebook didn't. To find out what happens next you have to get the book "The Quaker and the Rebel, Book 1 in the The Civil War Heroines series. What a disappointment for me. If I had known that this ebook didn't end but continues with another book I wouldn't have even read it! I love reading a short story when I am trying to decide what my next ...more
Karen R
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is more of a prologue to the book The Quaker and the Rebel, with the first chapter included at the end. I like Matthew and Alexander. Emily has a lot to learn, and her difficult circumstances may just be the best way to gain some much needed wisdom and grace. Takes place at the very beginning of the Civil War.
Kimberly Westrope
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this short prequel to author, Mary Ellis's, Civil War Heroines series. It is well-written, very well-developed for such a short story, and I love her charming characters. I'm sure I will end up getting the others in this series to read.
Barbara
A very short, but interesting prequel to The Quaker and the Rebel. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Civil War time period and will read this series. If you read only this prequel, you would not be satisfied with the ending.
Debbie
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Prequel. A short advertisement for the book to come. If you want to get a feel for the book to come, read a sample from Amazon or something. This prequel doesn't do anything for me as it just starts to catch my interest and then quits.
Rachel Miller
What a great story. I love these extra little stories. They're a great bonus and it's so nice to see behind the scenes. It doesn't hurt that it's FREE too!

Thank you Mary!
Sally
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This isn't even a novella. This is a prologue. Nor does it introduce any new information to readers of this series.
Amanda
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing! Can't wait to read first book in series to see what transpires!
Cheyenne Shock
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Great Introduction

This introduction to the series allows the reader to feel the wide-eyed innocence of the main character. One would wish her well on her journey to adulthood.
J R
Dec 31, 2015 added it
The prequel was decent. Unfortunately, this is one of those rare cases where I don't feel compelled to continue the story by reading the last two books.
Angie
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Sweet prequel
Wilani Wahl
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a Great Prequel Introduction to Quaker and the Rebel. I loved it and I am so glad the story will continue in the next book.
Charlene Copeland
Dec 19, 2017
malia simpson
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Huckleberry Summer (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #2)
  • A Simple Hope (Lancaster Crossroads #2)
  • A White Christmas in Webster County (Amish of Webster County, #4)
  • Love Comes Home (Rosey Corner, #3)
  • Caroline's Secret (Wells Landing, #1)
  • A Road Unknown (Amish Roads, #1)
  • A Woodland Miracle (The Amish Wonders #2)
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt (Seasons of the Heart #4.5)
  • Appalachian Serenade (Appalachian Blessings, #0.5)
  • Love Still Stands (New Hope Amish #1)
  • The Proposal at Siesta Key (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #2)
  • A Heart's Disguise (A Journey of the Heart, #1)
  • The Calling (Inn at Eagle Hill #2)
  • The Sound of Silver (Steadfast Love #2)
Mary Ellis has written twenty-five novels. Her debut book, A Widow’s Hope, was nominated for a 2010 Carol Award. Living in Harmony, won the 2012 Lime Award for Excellence in Amish Fiction while Love Comes to Paradise won the 2013 Lime Award. She is currently writing Secrets of the South Mysteries. Book one, Midnight on the Mississippi, was a finalist for the RT Magazine’s Reviewer’s Choice Award, ...more

Civil War Heroines (2 books)
  • The Quaker and the Rebel (Civil War Heroines, #1)
  • The Lady and the Officer (Civil War Heroines #2)