Start by marking “The Everything Music Theory Book: A Complete Guide to Taking Your Understanding of Music to the Next Level” as Want to Read:

Are you a musician who longs to take music to the next levelÑbut arenÕt sure how to go about it? You need to unlock the ÒsecretÓ to understanding music on a deeper levelÑto help you grasp what it is that makes music music. In The Everything Music Theory Book with CD, musician and music educator Marc Schonbrun takes you step by step through the underpinnings of music theory ...more
Published December 10th 2006 by Everything

To ask other readers questions about The Everything Music Theory Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything Music Theory Book

Start your review of The Everything Music Theory Book: A Complete Guide to Taking Your Understanding of Music to the Next Level
David Gustafson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For those of you budding musicians without a formal music education, eventually you are going to want to taste the very addictive opioid of music theory to kick-up the mastery of your chosen instrument.

The 2nd edition of this volume is a wonderful, concise help-mate a notch or two above the ones written for “dummies.”
Gabriel McWethy
There is nothing wrong with the info in this book, but it is so condensed that following along became impossible. Music Theory is such a broad topic, and there should have been more refreshers and exercises. Also, if a third edition ever comes out, I would recommend an answer key for the quizzes.
James Piper
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
It covers the basics of modern Western music theory but not everything.

The text includes numerous pages of exercises, but I can't find the solutions to check the results. No matter. I use musictheory.net for exercises and it's referenced in the book's appendix. See the web site to learn & test your knowledge of notes, staffs, intervals, chords and more. (n.b. I have no affiliation with the web site.)
Al Maki
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Exercises in second edition are better than in first.
Stephen Gallup
There are many subjects that we learn in a somewhat haphazard fashion, a bit at a time, in whatever sequence the information arrives. That's the way I have absorbed music theory up until now. Even when sitting in on a weekend class being presented to my son, I wasn't starting from a point suited to where I (or he) was. (I believe the first lesson of that class presented a mnemonic device for remembering the number of sharps in major keys: Cats Go Down After Eating Breakfast.)

Knowing only disjoin
Thuys
Apr 09, 2020 added it
The last two chapters about jazz harmony and transposition are real hard core (I get lost from the part of extended intervals), but you could easily get through others with the author explaining in a very friendly way.
liindalisten
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
As a beginner/intermediate pianist, I absolutely love this music theory book. It explains one thing at a time starting with simple theory and gradually it becomes quite complex. Many graphics along the way to have a better understanding as you are reading but always best to practice on your piano.

This is not a book to read from beginning to end. I use it as a "study" book.

While learning your instrument, I recommend to read one Chapter at a time until you fully understand the topic until moving o
Richard Pohl
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent volume for a high school theory class, perfectly understable and too heavy coverage, dealing mainly bit only with basic harmony issues (scales-modes-chords), but covering also some intermediate extensions/voicings, also transposition.
Alejandro
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
I actually couldn't finish this. I felt it was too abstract for subway reading and I needed to sit by a piano and actually listen to these things (and that's hard for me to do at the moment). ...more
Pedro
Jun 28, 2014
Chris Nitsas
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
As far as a newbie like me can tell, this book is a good overview of music theory.

I feel like I now have a good map of all the different areas of music theory, with enough detail to start exploring. Now I can go into more depth, using other books, and by analyzing existing musical pieces - as the author often suggests you do.

So, what does the book talk about? In short: everything. There's 16 chapters in total, which can be thought of as 4 parts:
1. the first two chapters are the basics: notes, cl
Aug 25, 2016
Carina Ancheta
Mar 25, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Port Mortuary (Kay Scarpetta, #18)
  • Principles of Orchestration
  • The Night Before Mother's Day
  • A Splendid Ruin
  • Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory Complete Self Study Guide: A Complete Self-study Course for All Musicians (With CD)
  • Merry Christmas Songbook - Revised
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook
  • On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
  • Joy of Cooking
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »