Start by marking “The Miko (Nicholas Linnear, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Miko (Nicholas Linnear, #2)

The Miko

(Nicholas Linnear #2)

"Swiftly paced and fascinating...An intricately designed puzzle."
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES
She is a sorceress--indescribably beautiful, overpoweringly sensual--who possesess incomprehensible powers. She is also a murderess who plans to use her power to kill Nicholas Linnear, the hero of THE NINJA.
This is only the beginning of this exotic thriller, where Lustbader weaves an utterly
Published March 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Miko, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miko

Shōgun by James ClavellAcross the Nightingale Floor by Lian HearnMusashi by Eiji YoshikawaThe Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. BorosonThe Way of the Warrior by Chris Bradford
Martial Fiction
183 books — 192 voters
Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu XiaolongThe Skull Mantra by Eliot PattisonDragon Bones by Lisa SeeRed Mandarin Dress by Qiu XiaolongOut by Natsuo Kirino
Asian Mystery
173 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Miko (Nicholas Linnear, #2)
Terence M
Excellent follow-up to The Ninja.

"I am an ageing lover of books and reading, but in recent years I have developed physical problems, the result being that my vision has deteriorated and I have found it difficult to hold any book long enough to be able to read it for any meaningful period.
My physical condition has improved, so I am trying to 'read' this edition on my Kobo Glo HD to test the state of my vision and how well I can handle the Kobo."

Unfortunately I am simply finding it too hard!!
I
fleurette
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
The Miko - Eric Van Lustbader

I read the first book in this series years ago. I think at least fifteen years have passed. And I don't remember almost anything. Not to mention the fact that when I read the first book I was still a teenager and since then I have read many books. My taste has changed, I have grown up, I am looking for different things in my stories. Does it matter? Without a doubt.

From the first book I remember only the main character and without many details. Reading this book, I began to recall certain things
Meichan
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
it's a quite old book, and judging by its thickness and small fonts one may not be willing to read at all, but then again, once u've started, u'd be absorbed!! with a fluent narration, van Lustbader managed to tell us worlds apart: the ancient Eastern minds and the Western minds. each character is very strong, the plot is rationable and easily understandable for both eastern and western minds of those who read it^^
-meicHan-
Robert Nacke
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this a lot ,it was a well written novel ,with a good story line.The various story line can be confusing ,but it adds intrigue into this book .Such a well rounded book with much excitement in it .I highly recommend to any who loves intrigue and the martial arts .
Helen
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eric Van Lustbader (EVL) is clearly a very smart eloquent man. He paints vivid and often beautiful word pictures, and uses "like" a lot, as in the rain fell like, he threw dollars onto to the taxi drivers' seat like, the sky darkened like, her skin was like ... very descriptive but sometimes a little too much. He describes, although poetically, where it doesn't add to what you are reading, like gilding a lily (see what I did there?)

His plot is convoluted. And I mean confusing. It jumps back and
Bathsheba
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Worth reading as the sequel to The Ninja, however some of the sub-plots were tedious. Questionable physiological feats by the characters also lowered the score compared to The Ninja where these skills were perhaps more believable. Valuable source of information on Asian culture however, and definitely fills many gaps in my knowledge in an enjoyable manner.
Gabe S
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this in the mid 90's when just a horny teen - the Ninja stuff (and of course the sexy stuff) blew my hormonal juvenile mind. Haven't read this since, and I honestly don't know if I'd like it just as much but a nostalgic 5 stars for sure - for then at least.
Shawn Tich
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Named my dog after this book
Nigel
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
** Minor Spoilers **

In this the second book of the Nicholas Linnear series we see our erstwhile hero return to Japan for the first time since he original came to America. He is there to assist Tomkin in an attempted merger with a Japanese consortium to develop and manufacture a new range of high speed micro-chips. Needless to say things to not go at all to plan and soon he finds himself embroiled in a revenge plot, a secret Japanese government plot and even towards the end with a secret US
Karmen
It's amazing to read this series 30 years after it was first published.

The background is very interesting - Japan coming into its own and why.

The people responsible for Japan's ultimately failed expansion were not prosecuted for war crimes. Most were leaders in the largest companies in the country and were needed to grow Japan back and into democratic rules so as to be a beacon and firewall against the rise of Communism in the area.
The US was very anxious about China and Southeast Asia.

So
Michael Lottamoza
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read. However, I find the style a bit cumbersome. A lot of terms and references in either Japanese or Chinese. if you want to know what they mean you have to interupt the read and do some research. I also found that in parts of the book the descriptive texts to be repetitive. Otherwise an interesting book which does teach as well as entertain.
Rajesh Pande
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading

Very Oriental. Tantalising & unstoppable. Exposes the dark belly of Japan. Nicholas Linnear is a surreal character & so are his adversaries.
Jeff
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While feeling a bit dated (pay phones?), the story is nonetheless entertaining.
Frank Carll
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Hud-c
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
The Miko is the 2nd book from the Nicholas Linnear series. Though it is related to the first - The Ninja, the book is interdependent from it. This has a whole new story and lots of characters introduced and to my displeasure, re-introduced. My problem with this is that it lacked the elements of suspense, thrill, and awe I felt reading on the first one. Nicholas didn't wow me. And the premise in which this book revolves tend to tear me off. Yukio, again. And then, Lew Croaker alive. Eric Van ...more
Darrell
Nicolas Linnear must face a dangerous foe that has a link to his past. This mysterious foe also is determined to exact revenge on all the people that have impacted the outcome of their life. This sets in motion the thriller that is faced paced and set in both the U.S. and Japan.

Linnear is a martial arts expert and has a life that is situated between the free wheeling society of the U.S. and the structured Japanese culture. He is from both worlds and continually struggles to find his place. This
Alex
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Frankly I am a bit disappointed with this book. "The Ninja", the first Nocholas Linnear book, is one of my favourite books, so when I found out that there are more books featuring Nicholas I was really looking forward to devouring them. Sadly my (maybe impossibly high) expectations were not satisfied. Dont get me wrong. "The Miko" is still a good book with fine suspense, some interesting martial arts scenes, very intense erotic and also provides a nice insight in japanese culture and phsychology ...more
Nana Marfo
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, blockbuster sequel!

This book certainly surpassed the original. A gripping action thriller set against the backdrop of the Cold War. It had all the right ingredients: action, violence, history, sex and intrigue. All the characters were very well-written and the plot fit neatly together. A very solid work and all the justification needed for me to read then next one.
Melvin Patterson
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Although I originally read this book in the 1980s, I enjoyed the story again having forgotten most of it in the intervening years. If you can get past the anachronisms, its an intricate and complex story weaving together the past and the present, Eastern and Western cultures and some dynamic martial art sequences involving Ninjutsu, Aikido, Sumo and others.
Vicki Beyer
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very 80s story of modern, industrialized Japan still battling the ghosts of war, and somehow caught up in US-Soviet cold war intrigues, to boot. The author engaged in name-dropping and placename-dropping, but failed to grasp the Japanese spirit that he purported to be using as the crux of his tale.
William Green
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas moves forward

This is a biographical continuation of Nicholas Linnear in his quest for purpose. Introduces new antagonists. Well written with good character development. This is the second reading for me. Good insight into the Japanese history, mind set, and way of life. Now it's on to White Ninja.
Theophilus (Theo)
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Martial arts, romance, mystics, and throw in the Japanese yakuza for good measure and you have another Lustbader (author of the Bourne series) smash hit. Nicholas Linnear came before Jason Bourne. If you liked the Bourne books, you'll love the Linnear series.
James Neal
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Is it just my love for Oriental philosophy that makes me love this author's works? Maybe, but that doesn't cheapen Lustbader's talent for digging into the psyche of his characters and making them live and breathe as your reading.
Jikki
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like the mix of badass men, beautiful (but sometime very dangerous)women, facts from back then when it was written and a simply but excellent way of telling a story so it feels like youre standing there watching it all happen; youll like Miko :) ...more
Osman
Jun 18, 2013 added it
need to read it again. didnt read it with a critical eye at all, it was something to read.
A very unusual combination of my favorites; Russian spy thriller, Japananese ninja & samurais, in a modern setting
Octavio Ramon
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good. However. it may not be appreciated as much by people not into the Asian martial arts.
Mor
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it
A book for flight travelers reads floantly
about ninjas and friend ship.
Julian
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read, keeps you guessing.
Ridhwaan
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good... and gifted a copy to a special lady.
Pat Quinn
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
These books would be so much better if they were shortened. Too much pointless filling used.....

• Cathedral
  • Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #2)
  • Noble House, Volume 2
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Franz Kafka - Collected Works
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter: A Novel of Old Bohemia
  • 365 Essential Survival Skills: Knowledge That Will Keep You Alive
  • Unfreedom of the Press
  • Masquerade (Liz Sansborough, #1)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Color of Night
  • Acts and Omissions
  • Mars Crossing
  • Bad Chemistry
  • Double Homicide
  • By the Rivers of Babylon
  • A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett Summary & Study Guide
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is

Nicholas Linnear (7 books)
  • The Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #1)
  • White Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #3)
  • The Kaisho (Nicholas Linnear, #4)
  • Floating City (Nicholas Linnear, #5)
  • Second Skin (Nicholas Linnear, #6)
  • The Oligarch's Daughter (Nicholas Linnear, #7)