Start by marking “Jian (China Maroc, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jian (China Maroc, #1)

Jian (China Maroc #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,360 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The consummate warrior. The man who excels. The supreme master of all the arts--love and combat, strength and wisdom--who holds the fate of all China in his hands. In a vast arena with its vivid scenarios of war and revolution, its intricate loyalties of clan and creed, many vie for total mastery. Four ancient pieces of jade are the key to unlocking the grand scheme of the ...more
Published March 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Jian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jian

AJ
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite all time authors surely know how to spin a suspense action novel with some historical facts and an array of fictional and factual characters intertwining in his stories.

Of course I used to love these sorts of books more as a teen for their sex and action themes but ,now I find myself also very much enticed by plot's developement and background stories, and to top it all of ,secret societies' works and goals.

Interesting and pretty captivating to the last page.
Tessa Small
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant web of intrigue and spy fast action carrying you all across the globe and back in time giving one an inkling of how things worked in China in the early 1900's. Definitely an author to look out for. Busy with the next book in the Maroc series and it is just as brilliant.
Nana Marfo
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An all-around blockbuster

As in his famous Ninja novels, this first installment in the China Maroc series was an absolute blockbuster. Filled with sprawling characters, a seamless kaleidoscope of storylines come together to give us an action saga fit for tv screens. Typically rich in substance set against the backdrop of communist China and the later years of the Cold War, it is filled with all the cool elements of an action thriller: action, violence, intrigue and a lot of sex
Terry Cornell
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Typical Asian based spy thriller that Van Lustbader has written. This particular one bounces around between China, Hong Kong, Japan, Russia and the U.S. The ending I found a little disappointing. The most interesting parts were his incorporating Chinese history into the story. This indicates I probably should read an actual history book on the subject! I read several of his previous books shortly after graduating college--maybe I've outgrown these. An entertaining read though if this is your gen ...more
Alexandru Diaconescu
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like the book, you need to read the second one in the series, "Shan". ☺
Dimitko
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing spy/thriller book. A bit too romantic for my taste, but the rest of it is hard to beat. It might be a bit confusing at start, but if the reader is sharp, he/she will notice the main fabula elements and will start feeling excited and anxious about what might happen next.

I loved reading it, even read it like 10 times over the course of several years. I am happy I never met in real people like the Jian character, it would make me feel way too much insignificant.
Dreepa
May 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was the first Lustbader book I have read.
It was 'ok'.
I did like the weaving in of history and present but everything was a little 'too perfect'. It all fit too neatly.

The story of an assassin living in Hong Kong and another in Japan and how they fight and the story of how they are all being controlled by China, USSR and USA.
Philip
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read Lustbader for a while and if I'm honest I really missed his style. This book was definitely up there with the Nocholas Linnear series and is Lustbader at his best.

The mix of intrigue, intense action and the marrying of two cultures is a delight to read and I can't wait to read the next book in the series - Shian.

Definitely recommend this book.
Rhod
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you like intrigue, spies, double agents, you won't be disappointed with Jian, the first of a series developed around the history of China from the 1930's to modern day. The author uses many Chinese terms that enrich the story (and thankfully includes a glossary). There are also several sexual trysts that might earn the book at least an R rating.
Csrabb
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-recommend
This book can fool you because the begining was a bit convaluted and seemed to be a little confusing. It ends up being an excellent story. I was surprised at the ending. You need to read this entire book to appreciate the work that went into the writing.
Theophilus (Theo)
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was tiring. So much action, sometimes I got confused. Hard to figure out who the villian really is. CIA, KGB (back when there was still a Soviet Union), Red Chinese diplomats, and assorted underlings and street thugs. Hold on tight to the book; it may jump right out of your hands.
Colin Guest
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like crime mystery books
I read this book some years ago and found like other Eric Van Lustbader books it was interesting. I had to keep reading to find out what happened in the end. This I think is an excellent book, which I highly recommend you read.
James Neal
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was the second Lustbader book I ever read; and even more than The Ninja, his writing style excited my imagination. While true that you must "give in to the story" more than other works based in the real world, once you do the story takes over all your senses. An excellent read.
James F.
This was my second complete reading of this novel. At this point in history, the story line provides a plausible explanation for the economic rise of China.
Laszlo
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I thought James Clavell was pretty good, Mr. Lustbader take one step further !
Very well explored,explained, and presented!
Laszlo
Tommyb
May 01, 2009 added it
Shelves: 22-23, 12-7-2007
Fiction
Marion Green
Best book ever. He (Eric) knows how to build bridges to bring characters together in a plot. Suspenseful, but also full of historical events, and language.
Steven Reiz
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: study
Not finished, boring, lots of chinese history lessons, no juicy bits
Larry Lange
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
I couldn't get far enough along in the book since I did not like the characters.
Mark Loughe
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
fantastic martial arts, a taste of the orient. and erotic sex mixed in with espionage a very heady mixture. five stars from me
Dr. Awesome
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
fascinating epic book you can really get lost in. Very intelligent and intricate
Jeffrey C.
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read decades ago.
Gabe S
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Also read this back in the nineties (97 I think?)- recall I wasn't as enamored of this series as much as his White Ninja books but was still majorly impressed at that age.
Christopher
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Great book.
Keeps you turning one page after another until suddenly, the books finished.
Karen
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Complicated novel about Japan and China, intrigue and romance.
Tyson
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
A new series for Lustbader, while not as strong as the Nicholas series it is still a great series this time focusing on a different character and part of the world.
Michael O.
Wayne
Oct 01, 2011
  • The Fifth Profession
  • Mesmerized
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • The Cutout
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Trevayne
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • Flash House
  • Last of the Zinja (Shike 2)
  • In the Evil Day
  • Wrath of the Lion
  • The Master of Rain
  • Spies, Patriots, and Traitors: American Intelligence in the Revolutionary War
  • Power and Greed: A Short History of the World
  • Deshi
  • The Berkut (Beau Valentine #1)
  • Legal Briefs: Short Stories by Today's Best Thriller Writers
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

China Maroc (2 books)
  • Shan (China Maroc, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
  • Beautiful Malice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • Motion to Suppress
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99